• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Someone did bring it up awhile ago. Yeah, Sakurai did say Goku and Iron Man won't be in Smash, which means they're coming to Smash deconfirmed. I forgot if he mentioned that Smash is a video game crossover while saying that however.

Now, I'm gonna stretch this **** out and mention how he never brought up real life people when talking about Goku and Iron Man. We're just 1 step closer to a Musou character in Smash now :4pacman:
This was the direct quote afaik, so yeah it looks like it's just video games.
1568390829322.png

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So I'm gonna see about making a list of characters I think have a chance of being DLC in the coming future, thus far I've predicted every Fighters Pass character (Including the Hero having multiple alts instead of just being Erdrick) so I'm trying to go as far out as possible and cover every base I can.

I'm thinking of making it in roster maker and I'll probably cover every reason for my choices in full detail.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Interesting theory posted on the Ring Fit Adventurer thread

View attachment 238076

What do y'all think?
It'd be Corrin all over again, is what I think. And yet there's no denying that no one in all of video games fights with a patented fitness loop.

...why are we still giving the time of day to a 4chan rumor that seems to have gotten the date horribly wrong?

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Interesting theory posted on the Ring Fit Adventurer thread

View attachment 238076

What do y'all think?
Gonna call BS. Besides, that was made around the Overwatch case leak and when people were still speculating when the Direct would happen. I don't think that "leaker" was playing 4D chess and saying "oh, but this is a leak for the character's debut and they're also in Smash"

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I am confident in a second pass. Selling characters by themselves would be terrible and pricey, not to mention not be as reliable as a fighter's pass for profits.

A pass is the modern and popular way to do it. Sakurai is not making all these comments about ambition and once in a lifetime opportunity to make 2 or 3 characters. I think a second pass is more or less guaranteed.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It'd be Corrin all over again, is what I think. And yet there's no denying that no one in all of video games fights with a patented fitness loop.

...why are we still giving the time of day to a 4chan rumor that seems to have gotten the date horribly wrong?
Because the game was revealed yesterday.
It's not a SMASH reveal, it's the character's reveal in general.

Yeah, there's a bunch of logical hoops to jump through but what else are we gonna do while waiting for November?
This hype cycle may end up killing us all.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Because the game was revealed yesterday.
It's not a SMASH reveal, it's the character's reveal in general.

Yeah, there's a bunch of logical hoops to jump through but what else are we gonna do while waiting for November?
This hype cycle may end up killing us all.
who's to say that we're alive at all maybe we died last year and the only thing keeping us on this plane of existence is smash news

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
who's to say that we're alive at all maybe we died last year and the only thing keeping us on this plane of existence is smash news
Scientists say the universe is a hologram but I know that can't be the case.
If it was someone would have added it to their universe collection.

SKX31

Smash Master
Broke: We are alive.
Woke: We are only kept in existence by Smash news.
Bespoke: Galeem zapped us all on release day so he could use us in his fight against Dharkon and Tabuu. However, Kirby, the lone survivor, is working hard to keep us in at least a conscious state by bringing Smash news. As he searches for a permanent solution.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
We're in a coma of eternal happiness, that's why where getting all these characters we always dreamed of as well as everyone is here. :250:

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
This is sure getting surreal.

I'll gladly take Shrek in Smash over Miku, any day xP
Oh jeez, I never even thought about Miku lol She's huge in Japan, but just weeb material for the rest of the world. Hard to say for the whole video game thing since she is software, but she's starred in several rhythm games.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I am confident in a second pass. Selling characters by themselves would be terrible and pricey, not to mention not be as reliable as a fighter's pass for profits.

A pass is the modern and popular way to do it. Sakurai is not making all these comments about ambition and once in a lifetime opportunity to make 2 or 3 characters. I think a second pass is more or less guaranteed.
I prefer this way to be honest; one big purchase and done, not worries anymore. Having to buy'em separately is one of the reasons I have yet to buy any mii costume.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Oh jeez, I never even thought about Miku lol She's huge in Japan, but just weeb material for the rest of the world. Hard to say for the whole video game thing since she is software, but she's starred in several rhythm games.
She's a mascot for voice synthesizer software. She does have a few games but doesn't originate from one. So she's in the same boat as Geralt.

Oh, and nice avatar

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
She's a mascot for voice synthesizer software. She does have a few games but doesn't originate from one. So she's in the same boat as Geralt.

Oh, and nice avatar
Eh, I mean, I'm not really a Miku advocate--Seeing Miku in Smash would be a little surreal.

Also, thanks lol. Reimu's expression is great there.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Having another fighter's pass is ideal because those who would buy all the fighters anyways would have the option to do so and it would be cheaper than buying each individually. If you don't want to buy every character then you have the option to just buy who you want individually.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
NGL, I agree with the idea of getting a second pass if ever, but part of me sorta feels for the guys who bought this first pass, look at Joker, Hero, Banjo and Terry so far, and think "I actually hate this".

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So, I'm curious as to why no one has talked about this yet, but there's been an update on the datamining front:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...ned_mode/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

It concerns a new online mode. I personally found Sakurai's claim that HRC was the last new mode to be weird, considering that a previous datamine had shown more slots for modes in Smash and Online as well.

Either way, this seems to be interesting...

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So, I'm curious as to why no one has talked about this yet, but there's been an update on the datamining front:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...ned_mode/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

It concerns a new online mode. I personally found Sakurai's claim that HRC was the last new mode to be weird, considering that a previous datamine had shown more slots for modes in Smash and Online as well.

My best guess?
It was probably a scrapped mode. The alternative is that Sakurai lied about Home-Run Contest being the last mode to be added via an update.

EDIT: Unless this means that one of the already available modes is going to get an online version, which in that case my best guess for that is Squad Strike.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
My best guess?
It was probably a scrapped mode. The alternative is that Sakurai lied about Home-Run Contest being the last mode to be added via an update.
Yeah, the dataminers are saying that this was added in 5.0. I'd find it weird if they scrapped something right now, but it could happen. Maybe the "pretty much the last new mode" was somehing lost in translation, like the "new universes" stuff? Could be another possibility.

Hopefully we'll be able to get more info on this.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Wonder how many major Japanese devs/publishers have yet to have a playable character in Ultimate (well, besides Sony, but that's only because I'm pretty sure a Sony owned character is the least likely character to make it in given the issues between Nintendo and Sony)
Here's the list of major Japanese IPs, Developers, and Publishers that are not in Smash in any capacity right now. It's not necessarily a comprehensive list, but does lay out a number of options:

Koei Tecmo
Ninja Gaiden - Ryu Hayabusa
Dead or Alive
Dynasty Warriors

Arc System Works
Guilty Gear
Blazblue
River City

Grasshopper Manufacture/Suda 51
No More Heroes - Travis Touchdown

Level 5
Professor Layton
Yokai Watch

Bandai Namco
Tales
Tekken
Digimon
Dark Souls
Soulcalibur
Katamari

Capcom
Resident Evil
Monster Hunter
Devil May Cry
Phoenix Wright
(I'll just cut it off there, there's too damn much from Capcom that you could conceivably include).

Square Enix
Kingdom Hearts (sort of)
Crono
Mana
Nier
Tomb Raider (more of an acquisition, so I'm not sure she belongs here)

Konami
Silent Hill
Gradius

Sega
Puyo Puyo
Shin Megami Tensei (If Joker doesn't count as a rep, also technically another Atlus rep)
Shinobi
Yakuza
Phantasy Star

SNK
Samurai Showdown
Metal Slug

Sorry for the long list, but we could go incredibly deep into the pocket of Japanese franchises and not even touch Western IPs or half of these in the process haha.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

According to PapaGenos’s latest video, he placed emphasis on Sakurai saying Home Run was, and I quote with the proper emphasis placed, “Pretty much the final new mode”. If it really WAS the final mode you wouldn’t say “pretty much”

D

Deleted member

Well here's a different guy talking about the datamined info a couple of hours after that post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/d3n9en/update_on_the_datamined_convention_mode/

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the dataminers are saying that this was added in 5.0. I'd find it weird if they scrapped something right now, but it could happen. Maybe the "pretty much the last new mode" was somehing lost in translation, like the "new universes" stuff? Could be another possibility.

Hopefully we'll be able to get more info on this.
I can't understand what exactly he says, but the "subtitle" in this video says "おおむね最後のモード追加" which is pretty much that.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Here's the list of major Japanese IPs, Developers, and Publishers that are not in Smash in any capacity right now. It's not necessarily a comprehensive list, but does lay out a number of options:

Koei Tecmo
Ninja Gaiden - Ryu Hayabusa
Dead or Alive
Dynasty Warriors

Arc System Works
Guilty Gear
Blazblue
River City

Grasshopper Manufacture/Suda 51
No More Heroes - Travis Touchdown

Level 5
Professor Layton
Yokai Watch

Bandai Namco
Tales
Tekken
Digimon
Dark Souls
Soulcalibur
Katamari

Capcom
Resident Evil
Monster Hunter
Devil May Cry
Phoenix Wright
(I'll just cut it off there, there's too damn much from Capcom that you could conceivably include).

Square Enix
Kingdom Hearts (sort of)
Crono
Mana
Nier

Konami
Silent Hill
Gradius

Sega
Puyo Puyo
Shin Megami Tensei (If Joker doesn't count as a rep, also technically another Atlus rep)
Shinobi
Yakuza
Phantasy Star

SNK
Samurai Showdown
Metal Slug

Sorry for the long list, but we could go incredibly deep into the pocket of Japanese franchises and not even touch Western IPs or half of these in the process haha.
There's also Falcom but I don't know about there chances

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Bandai Namco
Tales
Tekken
Digimon
Dark Souls
Soulcalibur
Katamari

Square Enix
Kingdom Hearts (sort of)
Crono
Mana
Nier
Cries in Xenosaga (Bandai Namco) and The World Ends With You (Square Enix)

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Most likely a coincidence but I wonder...
Probably a coincidence. Seems to be a general Bethesda advertisement board since they're showing Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr as well. Bethesda's been advertising at Tokyo Game Show for awhile.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Probably a coincidence. Seems to be a general Bethesda advertisement board since they're showing Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr as well. Bethesda's been advertising at Tokyo Game Show for awhile.
They have? TIL.

What other games have they advertised in TGSes past?

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
They have? TIL.

What other games have they advertised in TGSes past?
All I can remember is previous Elder Scrolls Online expansions, along with a couple of playable booths for the game itself in 2015. I think they were pushing to get a Japanese server for the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom