• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cothero

Smash Lord
I always wanted Mega Man X to be playable in Smash, but now i'm convinced that this is never going to happen (in Ultimate, at least). The X series are my favourite games of all time (especially the SNES titles). I know many people would rather have Zero as a playable character, but X is perfect for me. His resilience is what attract me the most in his personality. To me, MMX always felt cooler than the regular Mega Man. The games, the music, the enemies, everything was too rad and exciting when i was a kid, it was a completely different experience. I played the classics too, but i've never had the same connection to the character and the games were somewhat difficult (in a upsetting way). I always feel a bit sad when i see X hangin' in the back of MM's final smash, but i know they would never ADD two playable Megas in the same game, even if they are completely different characters, with completely different abilities.

I'll be looking forward to see you, MM's big brother - in the year 20XX, in a future Smash.

mmx.jpg

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I've been a bit bummed for a few days because I heard from some people on Gamefaqs that the Guilty Gear creator supposedly said that Guilty Gear wouldn't have ANY crossovers until the story is complete. But then I looked into it today and I got relief.

It's actually about not adding Guilty Gear characters to Cross Tag Battle until Guilty Gear's story complete, specifically crossing over with BlazBlue yet(they're in the same universe right?)

https://www.siliconera.com/2017/08/...s-rwby-possibility-adding-guilty-gear-series/

Also Guilty Gear actually indeed crossed over into non Blazblue series. Epic Seven, a korean mobile game had Guilty Gear characters as limited units for the game back in May of this year.

https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/8455-epic-seven-x-guilty-gear-collaboration-guide

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
They also use Shadow Ball, which isn't a Psychic type move, but Mewtwo's anime movie incarnation is the first Pokémon to ever use the move Shadow Ball in any Pokémon media, so it's associated with Mewtwo in Smash.
Lots of Pokemon can use moves that don't match their type.

Mewtwo has been able to learn Shadow Ball since Gold/Silver.

I always wanted Mega Man X to be playable in Smash, but now i'm convinced that this is never going to happen (in Ultimate, at least). The X series are my favourite games of all time (especially the SNES titles). I know many people would rather have Zero as a playable character, but X is perfect to me. His resilience is what attract me the most in his personality. To me, MMX always felt cooler than the regular Mega Man.
And he is, but I don't know why they'd put him in when he's so similar to Mega Man.

Zero seems like he brings a lot more to the table. A COMPLETELY different playstyle to Mega Man. Main character of his own sub-series, while still being a primary rep for the X series.

It's actually about not adding Guilty Gear characters to Cross Tag Battle until Guilty Gear's story complete, specifically crossing over with BlazBlue yet(they're in the same universe right?)

Also Guilty Gear actually indeed crossed over into non Blazblue series. Epic Seven, a korean mobile game had Guilty Gear characters as limited units for the game back in May of this year.
I gotta say, I'm kinda disappointed that they decided to make a second Guilty Gear game after Xrd instead of giving BlazBlue the Xrd treatment first.

That series deserves to be elevated into the GG/DBFZ pantheon of ArcSys's new art style.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Lots of Pokemon can use moves that don't match their type.

Mewtwo has been able to learn Shadow Ball since Gold/Silver.
Mewtwo isn't known for using Shadow Ball in the games, though. It's not a signature attack for them there as lots of Pokémon can learn it. For a while they were known for using general Psychic type offensive moves until introduced Psystrike, their current signature move and Final Smash.

Shadow Ball only has strong association with Mewtwo in the anime, which is the basis of my argument.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
It actually would make a lot of sense for a Story of Seasons character to show up. It's the same reason I bring up Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, and why I think Style Savvy is slept on to an extent. Completely unique demographic not yet catered to by the DLC, very unique fighter, and videogame and Nintendo history to boot.

It helps that It's A Wonderful Life just got an HD remake. More people are learning that Story of Seasons is the former Harvest Moon as a result.
Exactly. Story of Seasons is in a weird position relative to a lot of the IPs people tend to speculate about with regard to Smash character inclusions because I think that the type of person to involve themself so seriously into Smash speculation and the type of person whose favorite game is story of Seasons is not going to have a whole lot of overlap. Story of Seasons is absolutely not where you go to looks for action, let’s be real.

But this is both a good and a bad thing. Obviously it’s bad that hardly anyone talks about it or takes the possibility seriously. But also, like you said, it’s a potentially almost entirely new demographic to tap into. And it would be one of the few demographics that might actually attract some people who already own a switch but don’t have smash. Or maybe who bought a switch for the new SoS game or RF5 and now smash has something appealing for them too.

It seems like SoS is a similar position to where animal crossing was before we got villager, who wasn’t added for a while because it didn’t seem to fit. But AC is Nintendo so had higher demand at the time despite this. However we live in a world now where AC is in Smash. A world where Wii Fit is in smash. So that restriction hardly means anything anymore anyway. And so why wouldn’t we ask for SoS in smash too?

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I think we're entering potentially the wildest period of speculation possible yet in Smash, and I don't know if that's scary, good or both.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
why don't they go for zero from the Zero Series of Megaman games i always thought that one looked pretty cool

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
why don't they go for zero from the Zero Series of Megaman games i always thought that one looked pretty cool
Might be awkward with X Zero being there in AT form, since they're the same character just with plot reasons for the massive different designs.

But that could be the one way we get Zero as a playable fighter, although I don't see them going for another Megaman character, if we get another Capcom DLC my theory has been it'll be DMC or Resident Evil who gets someone next. Mostly on gut feeling though.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Might be awkward with X Zero being there in AT form, since they're the same character just with plot reasons for the massive different designs.

But that could be the one way we get Zero as a playable fighter, although I don't see them going for another Megaman character, if we get another Capcom DLC my theory has been it'll be DMC or Resident Evil who gets someone next. Mostly on gut feeling though.
i hope for Jill and Dante to get in

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think Resident Evil could be next.

Though I'm hoping for another non human character. Frogger, Rayman, Spyro, Crash, Angry Birds...

Then again most Nintendo characters I want most are not human. Captain Toad, Dixie, Eevee, Meowth.... (Isaac, Balloon Fighter, Twintelle are all human).

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
If we wanna go Dark Horse for a non human character then there's nobody better than the legend that is Gex.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Everybody's sleepin' on my boi from Capcom: Takenaka Hanbei

If only his costume (especially his mask) weren't so goofy.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Everybody's sleepin' on my boi from Capcom: Takenaka Hanbei

If only his costume (especially his mask) weren't so goofy.
While I think he'd be cool, I think if we got anyone from Basara it'd be the over the top interpretation of Masamune Date they have haha.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
If we wanna go Dark Horse for a non human character then there's nobody better than the legend that is Gex.
He needs to have wacky celebrity references tho. Say something like "You look weirder than a stripper at a Ricky Martin afterparty!" "Did you used to know Lou Bega?" "Where's George Clooney when you need 'im??"

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
He needs to have wacky celebrity references tho. Say something like "You look weirder than a stripper at a Ricky Martin afterparty!" "Did you used to know Lou Bega?" "Where's George Clooney when you need 'im??"
Giving him different quips for all of the characters and stages would be the funniest thing, and you know it!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What would Gex's home stage be? Filthy living room?

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
What would Gex's home stage be? Filthy living room?
Probably one of the iconic channels from 2 or 3, or a general stage based on the Media Dimension that transforms.

Though after 17 years of inactivity his living room probably is pretty **** filthy. xP

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
:ultdoc: 'Witch doctor, tell me the magic words!"
:ultincineroar: "Looks like this match will be on pay-per-view!"
:ultpacman: "Too sick to scuffle, you've given me the fever!"

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'd think the horror themed stage from the first game...

Also I'd imagine he'd be introduced morbidly obese after 20 years of absence and then he'd have to go through a Rocky montage to get fit for Smash :yoshi:
So basically the start of Nuts and Bolts minus the montage.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Side note: The start of Nuts and Bolts is a good example on how self referential and self deprecating humor can backfire in games. When writing, you have to remember the audience is an active participant so if they're not on the same wavelength as you, it'll just come off as insulting.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I want to jump in on the 16 character slots game! I don't necessarily think that there will be more season/fighter passes. They can sell this one by one, so I just make a list of sixteen instead of grouping it into season passes. Also, the order isn't necessarily the order in which I think they will add these characters.

1. Piranha Plant (Super Mario / Nintendo)
2. Joker (Persona / Sega-Atlus)
3. Hero (Dragon Quest / Square Enix)
4. Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie / Microsoft)
5. Terry (Fatal Fury / SNK)
6. Doom Slayer (DOOM / iD-Bethesda)
7. Geno (Super Mario RPG / Square Enix)
8. Professor Layton (Professor Layton / Level-5)
9. Jill Valentine (Resident Evil / Capcom)
10. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong / Nintendo)
11. Crash (Crash Bandicoot / Activision)
12. Shantae (Shantae / WayForward)
13. Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby / Nintendo)
14. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden / Koei Tecmo)
15. Rayman (Rayman / Ubisoft)
16. Waluigi (Super Mario / Nintendo)

This is a "best case scenario". Sakurai will add some of the most asked first party characters, third party characters, spirit upgrades, the most vocal assist trophy upgrade, new companies (Level-5, iD/Bethesda, Activision, WayForward, Koei Tecmo, Ubisoft), adds the first indie character and adds some more obscure ones (Geno/Prof. Layton/Shantae/Ryu Hayabusa) which are famous enough to come to Smash.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nothing better to wake up to than a bunch of made-up Gex quotes. Y'all are wild.
Okay, I want to jump in on the 16 character slots game! I don't necessarily think that there will be more season/fighter passes. They can sell this one by one, so I just make a list of sixteen instead of grouping it into season passes. Also, the order isn't necessarily the order in which I think they will add these characters.

This is a "best case scenario". Sakurai will add some of the most asked first party characters, third party characters, spirit upgrades, the most vocal assist trophy upgrade, new companies (Level-5, iD/Bethesda, Activision, WayForward, Koei Tecmo, Ubisoft), adds the first indie character and adds some more obscure ones (Geno/Prof. Layton/Shantae/Ryu Hayabusa) which are famous enough to come to Smash.
I'll pay for this right now thank you very much.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Only about 3 characters I like on the additional list so I will pass on this best case scenario.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Side note: The start of Nuts and Bolts is a good example on how self referential and self deprecating humor can backfire in games. When writing, you have to remember the audience is an active participant so if they're not on the same wavelength as you, it'll just come off as insulting.
That and one should probably be careful when insulting their audience as well.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Can I give this a shot?

1. Piranha Plant (Super Mario/Nintendo)
2. Joker (Persona/Atlus)
3. Hero (Dragon Quest/Square Enix)
4. Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie/Microsoft)
5. Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury/SNK)
6. KOS-MOS (Xenosaga/Bandai Namco)
7. Shantae (Shantae/WayForward)
8. Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X/Nintendo)
9. Neku Sakuraba (The World Ends With You/Square Enix)
10. Octoling (Splatoon 2/Nintendo)
11. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney/Capcom)
12. Gunvolt (Azure Striker Gunvolt/IntiCreates)
13. Bandana Dee (Kirby/Nintendo)
14. Black Shadow (F-Zero/Nintendo)
15. Mecha-Fiora (Xenoblade Chronicles/Nintendo)
16. Geno (Super Mario RPG/Nintendo & Square Enix)

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Be very satisfied given the icing on cake that's Doom Slayer and Crash though I would had wished for Medusa, Black Shadow and Elma but oh well.

SKX31

Smash Master
To follow up on a post I made this past Tuesday, the whole story about Tencent setting up a daughter company to produce Switch consoles and games (I presume for the Chinese version) has been corroborated on English sources too. The daughter company's name? TenNin, of course!

That and one should probably be careful when insulting their audience as well.
I don't get the impression Nuts and Bolts was meant as an insult - it may be an intentional Hate Sink (LOG), Gone Horribly Right. In-universe he even claims to be behind Canary Mary.

If you're gonna introduce a gameplay shift with the new game, having a Hate Sink force it onto the player is not the right move.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I wouldn't want the fourth wall broken... but it would be funny if he used characters that were in-world celebrities. Some of the Gods that Pit would idolize, or mythical Pokemon.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To follow up on a post I made this past Tuesday, the whole story about Tencent setting up a daughter company to produce Switch consoles and games (I presume for the Chinese version) has been corroborated on English sources too. The daughter company's name? TenNin, of course!

I don't get the impression Nuts and Bolts was meant as an insult - it may be an intentional Hate Sink (LOG), Gone Horribly Right. In-universe he even claims to be behind Canary Mary.

If you're gonna introduce a gameplay shift with the new game, having a Hate Sink force it onto the player is not the right move.
Yeah, I think it was the devs poking fun at the old game as they normally did but the context of the jokes changed how they were recived.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Yeah, I think it was the devs poking fun at the old game as they normally did but the context of the jokes changed how they were recived.
It was probably the bait and switch more than anything. That reveal trailer from X06 looked so much like a return to the roots of Banjo, and then the reveal of what gameplay would actually be and then the tone of that opening scene leaves a sour taste. I genuinely think a lot of that stuff is funny. But only if the game had hidden platformer mechanics in it, or it became a meta game about fighting to go back to the old style. But that needed to be followed up by a proper sequel (and not the team leaving to go make Yooka-Laylee which is flawed in all the ways that make it apparent they didn't learn any lessons from Banjo-Tooie)

It's definitely not the worst game from Rare's 360 era, but it's also no Viva Pinata.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom