• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Agumon supporters low-key get that much closer to achieving their dream every day. Personally, I'm not going to be blindsided if it ever happens; it's a relatively feasible pick, all things considered.

Also, Wii Fit in Smash was one of the best reveals of all time. Just saying.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
True, but he's fourth party
Which is sad
Agumon is in a gray area in regards to whether or not the digital devices the Digimon franchise originated from count as video games.
Personally I think they ARE video games and therefore, Agumon is eligible for Smash Bros.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Agumon is a virtual pet but this is the game game where you can play as ROB who was a pheripheral.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Platformers are a niche genre and any platformer that's not called Banjo-Kazooie, Glover, or Bubsy 3D is even more obscure. I don't know why insecure Mario fans are so desperate to act like Red-Cap Stalin is a household name and that anyone who doesn't know who he is is ignorant.

It's always so lame when people hold up a character for their "historical value" or because they represent a particular company or genre. They'll take the boring, generic character over the interesting or popular one just for the sake of a roster that they think is "correct".

The harsh reality is that Nintendo is dead, Super Mario has never been mainstream, and unless you are a platformer junkie or Japanese, the only reason you might have even heard of Mario is because of memes.
Oh boy. There’s a lot to unpack here. Probably best not to. Other than to say that, well
95CB7ADE-16BB-4559-8A1F-B211B0999ABD.jpeg

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd say the character closest to the grey line in Smash speculation ATM is Hatsune Miku. She's a digital character created for an interactive medium but it's sold as a software tool rather than a game.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Agumon is in a gray area in regards to whether or not the digital devices the Digimon franchise originated from count as video games.
Personally I think they ARE video games and therefore, Agumon is eligible for Smash Bros.
vid·e·o game
/ˈvidēō ˌɡām/
noun

1. a game played by electronically manipulating images produced by a computer program on a television screen or other display screen.
Yep, Digimon qualify even as a digital pet :p

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I still think Piranha Plant was one of THE most tone deaf reveals I've ever seen.

The whole Direct "The Final Characters ARE: Inceneroar and Ken! Isaac, Shadow, Bomberman, Krystal, Zero, Waluigi and more are just Assist Trophies! But wait! We lied! This Plant is Playable too!! Sorry Isaac and Waluigi!"

Like, I won't even lie that the fact that they chose PP over Waluigi, Geno, Toad, etc., without even mentioning Isaac, Spring Man, and Rex just for the fact that they're not Mario characters, really rubbed me the wrong way. Even still does thinking about it.

I dunno, I get that there's a weirdo character in every game like G&W, R.O.B., and WFT, but this was THE WORST time to announce him. It was just a real punch in the balls to a lot of the fans and especially to Isaac hopefuls like myself.
100% agree. I was legit pissed after that Direct. Of course I calmed down not too long after and I know Sakurai thought it’d be a fun idea to have PP playable and wasn’t trying to hurt anyone’s feelings, but that hurt.

And of course because they waited until the very last time Direct to reveal Isaac as an AT after not showing him for months of that speculation period and even having a Rathalos tweet in the style of a GS battle it really rubbed me the wrong way. I almost envied the Waluigi fans for at least knowing right off the bat he was out.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
IntelliHeath from Resetera found this quote from Nintendo's very president and I feel like it should be brought up:
This title will be the largest-ever game in the Smash Bros. series in every aspect, with an overwhelming amount of content, bringing together famous franchises’ characters in what will be the gaming industry’s one of the greatest collaboration titles. What sets the Smash Bros. series apart is that the basic rules and operations of the game are very simple, yet for those who want to pursue the game it offers a real depth of gameplay. The games are welcoming, since people who seldom play have a good chance of witnessing the appearance of certain elements they recognize, so we are working to spark the interest of a wide range of consumers, and not just fans of the Smash Bros. series.
The Smash Bros. series titles are special to our company because it is the place where the characters of Nintendo’s main titles come together. Many consumers discover Nintendo games they never knew about through the Smash Bros. series, so if Smash Bros. is spread wide across our consumer base, it will, by extension, also enhance the appeal of our overall IP.
I know I keep looking for stuff explaining this DLC approach, but frankly, if I want to be convinced that first-party characters are coming soon, then Sakurai will have to include them, because at this point, I'm only seeing Nintendo showing they're not interested in their own stuff.

culumon

Smash Apprentice
I'd say the character closest to the grey line in Smash speculation ATM is Hatsune Miku. She's a digital character created for an interactive medium but it's sold as a software tool rather than a game.
If Hatsune Miku gets in, I hope Clippy follows suit.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Digimon started as a Tamagotchi in 1997
Had a game for the Sega Saturn in 1998 called "Digital Monster Ver. S: Digimon Tamers"
And Digimon World for the Playstation in 1999

Thats what started Digimon for real.

ZelDan

Smash Master
They've announced that this year's Game Awards Show is set for December 12th.

https://twitter.com/NINTENthusiast/status/1172224496951947264

Could we expect Nintendo to unveil Smash DLC there just like last year?
I think it depends on how "big" the character is or what characters are ready to be shown at the time (whether it be FP #5 or maybe even a character post FP.

Characters like Master Chief, Doom Slayer, Sora, or Crash could make for a big bombshell at the VGAs. A characfter like, say, Ryu hayubasa, I don't think would garner as huge a reaction. Nothing against Ryu or Ninja Gaiden, I just don't see him as that level of character when it comes to hype.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I still think Piranha Plant was one of THE most tone deaf reveals I've ever seen.

The whole Direct "The Final Characters ARE: Inceneroar and Ken! Isaac, Shadow, Bomberman, Krystal, Zero, Waluigi and more are just Assist Trophies! But wait! We lied! This Plant is Playable too!! Sorry Isaac and Waluigi!"

Like, I won't even lie that the fact that they chose PP over Waluigi, Geno, Toad, etc., without even mentioning Isaac, Spring Man, and Rex just for the fact that they're not Mario characters, really rubbed me the wrong way. Even still does thinking about it.

I dunno, I get that there's a weirdo character in every game like G&W, R.O.B., and WFT, but this was THE WORST time to announce him. It was just a real punch in the balls to a lot of the fans and especially to Isaac hopefuls like myself.
I really agree with you.

I mean I have nothing against Plant, the character is fun, I didn't play with Plant a lot but it's cool.

The thing that disappointed me about Plant is that, as you said, Sakurai likes to put 1 WTF character in each game. And I really liked that. Game & Watch, Wii Fit Trainer, ROB... The difference between these and Plant is, after the initial surprise and the memes, what's left for Plant? From my perspective Game & Watch or Wii Fit Trainer represent a part of Nintendo and his history. You can't say that for Plant. Yeah, he's very recognizable and all that, but that pattern clearly wasn't a crucial reason for R.O.B or Ice Climbers.

Honestly, I'd have preferred a obscure retro Nintendo pick or someone else instead of Plant. Mach Rider comes to my mind as an example.

He-Was-Number-Wan

Smash Rookie
I think it depends on how "big" the character is or what characters are ready to be shown at the time (whether it be FP #5 or maybe even a character post FP.

Characters like Master Chief, Doom Slayer, Sora, or Crash could make for a big bombshell at the VGAs. A characfter like, say, Ryu hayubasa, I don't think would garner as huge a reaction. Nothing against Ryu or Ninja Gaiden, I just don't see him as that level of character when it comes to hype.
This logic always seemed the most sound to me as far as the Fighters Pass goes. If you're trying to hook people who haven't purchased the Fighters Pass already, you'd want a big name with big clickbait/headline appeal that would garner a lot of attention.

Springboarding off of that, I really do think our 5th fighter will be pulled from a Western studio if only because of the proportion of revenue that comes out of the west. Nintendo's a business, Smash Bros. is part of their business, if they want to make a strong final push with their first round of DLC, it makes sense to push hard in their biggest markets. That's not to say characters like Ryu or Lloyd don't deserve to occupy the #5 spot, but as far as ending this marketing/DLC cycle with a bang, characters like Master Chief, Doom Slayer, etc. seem a lot more likely in my mind.

cothero

Smash Lord
So, Ring Fit Trainer looks like a natural born character for Smash. Do i see her being added as DLC in the Fighter Pass? No. Too recent and too predictable. There's always a new Smash game for it.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Any reactions if Paper Mario was DLC?
"I hope he comes with the Glitz Pit or at least a theatre stage". Literally my main reason for wanting Papes is a decent Paper Mario stage.

He's not really my first choice for a Mario character(Toad, obviously), or second(Waluigi). Third though, and it's not like the Paper Mario series isn't a success. I'd just be curious to see how he's implemented before I could get excited over him.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
It's super weird to hear that people were unhappy about Wii Fit Trainer because she was one of my favorite additions when I was out of the fandom. It helps that I love non-fighters and am super fond of the Wii Fit series as I played it a lot in college so I recognized every single one of her poses and voice clips so she was hilarious.
I agree. To me Smash is first and foremost a Nintendo all-star fighter. This is why Banjo to me was the most important DLC in Ultimate; he represents the N64 era and Nintendo’s Disney/Pixar-esque partnership with Rare in the 90s. Wii Fit Trainer so perfectly represents the Wii era and that auxiliary hardware that came in that time period. She is also a very unique character

cothero

Smash Lord
Any reactions if Paper Mario was DLC?
I always though Paper Mario was an obvious choice for a newcomer back in Sm4sh and the fact he's not in still surprises me. Ultimate eventually came out and even a Piranha Plant got in, but not him. That only show us that the mentality of "shoo-ins" can be a dangerous thing, as some people can get very disappointed when a character they had as a certain call end up being added as an assist trophy or not even added at any form.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So, Ring Fit Trainer looks like a natural born character for Smash. Do i see her being added as DLC in the Fighter Pass? No. Too recent and too predictable. There's always a new Smash game for it.
Well I already started a support thread. You can even vote on if you think she'll be her own character, an echo, a semi clone or if I've gone mad.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's been demonstrated that Digimon does meet the qualifications to be represented in Smash, as virtual pets can be considered video games according to the dictionary definition of a video game.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I really agree with you.

I mean I have nothing against Plant, the character is fun, I didn't play with Plant a lot but it's cool.

The thing that disappointed me about Plant is that, as you said, Sakurai likes to put 1 WTF character in each game. And I really liked that. Game & Watch, Wii Fit Trainer, ROB... The difference between these and Plant is, after the initial surprise and the memes, what's left for Plant? From my perspective Game & Watch or Wii Fit Trainer represent a part of Nintendo and his history. You can't say that for Plant. Yeah, he's very recognizable and all that, but that pattern clearly wasn't a crucial reason for R.O.B or Ice Climbers.

Honestly, I'd have preferred a obscure retro Nintendo pick or someone else instead of Plant. Mach Rider comes to my mind as an example.
I don't really get this take on Piranha Plant. He's as much of a piece of Nintendo history as any potential other candidate, and more importantly, he's a diversion from the ordinary rules of Smash. I feel like there's a lot of Nintendo fans who talk about wanting to go deeper into Nintendo's catalogue of characters for unique choices... and Piranha Plant is the absolute embodiment of that. And Plant is also much, much more important to Nintendo history than Ice Climbers ever could be. Sakurai just felt like including interesting characters most of the time (Pit is another example who just kind of got added just cause...) and Plant really isn't any different.

I always though Paper Mario was an obvious choice for a newcomer back in Sm4sh and the fact he's not in still surprises me. Ultimate eventually came out and even a Piranha Plant got in, but not him. That only show us that the mentality of "shoo-ins" can be a dangerous thing, as some people can get very disappointed when a character they had as a certain call end up being added as an assist trophy or not even added at any form.
Paper Mario took a nose dive right around the time Smash 4 was being planned with Sticker Star, so unfortunately, I do see why he never got in.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Would be neat if Nintendo pulled a Mortal Kombat, and just announced all the characters at once instead of making each reveal seperate (or two together).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Would be neat if Nintendo pulled a Mortal Kombat, and just announced all the characters at once instead of making each reveal seperate (or two together).

(I’m sorry I couldn’t help it.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

IntelliHeath from Resetera found this quote from Nintendo's very president and I feel like it should be brought up:

I know I keep looking for stuff explaining this DLC approach, but frankly, if I want to be convinced that first-party characters are coming soon, then Sakurai will have to include them, because at this point, I'm only seeing Nintendo showing they're not interested in their own stuff.
Yep, It's the exact same thing as the Fighters Pass and I'm not surprised. I have no doubt in my mind that we're not getting any 1st party characters and I find that a bit disappointing but I'm sure many will have the exact opposite opinion.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

The worst part about Piranha plant is the fact that Sakurai compared it to other "random" character like game & watch, rob and duck hunt. The thing is that all these characters share something in common that Piranha plant don't; they're retro characters that are iconic to Nintendo history, but kind of forgotten. Piranha plant is just a generic enemy.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Paper Mario support is nearly dead in part because we don't even know if, should Paper Mario ever become playable, that Sakurai would make a moveset we like.

Maybe he'll emphasize his paper body more than the abilities Paper Mario and his partners gain in the games, which is a huge part of the nostalgia and appeal for us. Maybe he'll go with what is still technically the best-selling game in Japan (because it's currently the only one on a handheld system), Sticker Star, as a base, alienating those of us who dislike that game very strongly. We don't know if Paper Mario would ever have a moveset that takes elements from Paper Mario 1 and 2 for a fair bit of it or not.

This uncertainty is compounded by how Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Color Splash are the latest games in the series, and while they have their fans, the former is an extremely divisive entry and the latter is currently stuck on Wii U. Paper Mario's future is currently uncertain, especially since Nintendo has made statements along the lines of "Hey, it's weird that we have two Mario RPG series, let's make Mario & Luigi the only one of those and do something else with Paper Mario." As such, most of us Paper Mario supporters are currently sticking up for other characters in the meantime. I know I'm mostly hoping that Dixie Kong and Phoenix Wright make it into Smash next.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't really get this take on Piranha Plant. He's as much of a piece of Nintendo history as any potential other candidate, and more importantly, he's a diversion from the ordinary rules of Smash. I feel like there's a lot of Nintendo fans who talk about wanting to go deeper into Nintendo's catalogue of characters for unique choices... and Piranha Plant is the absolute embodiment of that. And Plant is also much, much more important to Nintendo history than Ice Climbers ever could be. Sakurai just felt like including interesting characters most of the time (Pit is another example who just kind of got added just cause...) and Plant really isn't any different.

Paper Mario took a nose dive right around the time Smash 4 was being planned with Sticker Star, so unfortunately, I do see why he never got in.
I don't see what Piranha Plant represents that isn't already represented or wouldn't be better represented by someone else. Nor do I see its importance to Nintendo's history.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
The worst part about Piranha plant is the fact that Sakurai compared it to other "random" character like game & watch, rob and duck hunt. The thing is that all these characters share something in common that Piranha plant don't; they're retro characters that are iconic to Nintendo history, but kind of forgotten. Piranha plant is just a generic enemy.
I dunno about not being iconic or generic. I mean, sure, it IS a generic enemy. They're everywhere. But they're enemies of one of the most iconic properties to ever exist and clearly had enough to work with for a move set compared to something like Goombas or Koopas (Outside maybe Hammer Bros). Though I'm in a camp where I don't mind. I think the character is hilarious and fun to play, plus he was a bonus (Since I got the game day one and didn't have to pay extra) though I'm sure those who got the game later might not find him appealing enough to pay for if they got the game later.

However, I do find it an interesting addition because it means even jobber enemies aren't off the table for future installments provided such characters have potential. To some they may find such additions 'filler' but it might be what the series needs in the future. I highly doubt Smash is going to exist in a state like it is today and if they need silly characters to add but are still iconic, I'm not going to be mad if a few slots get taken by enemy characters. If anything it makes me want to see what else the team can do with such characters. If they can make a toothy plant in a flower pot function and be fun, there's little they can't make work now with the right motivation/ingenuity.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Piranha Plant is like the most iconic Mario enemy. He’s practically synonymous with the series. He’s on all types of merchandise. And he’s been around since the first game.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Yep, It's the exact same thing as the Fighters Pass and I'm not surprised. I have no doubt in my mind that we're not getting any 1st party characters and I find that a bit disappointing but I'm sure many will have the exact opposite opinion.
This kind of thinking is kinda exaggerated. The game's already composed of 90% Nintendo characters, to begin with. When they add characters from other companies, they have the opportunity to bring more different worlds into Smash - something that some Nintendo's own IP's can bring too, of course, but not in the same degree as third-party characters.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
But... Piranha plant is a retro character?

cothero

Smash Lord

Oh, don't get me wrong. I like the idea of Piranha Plant being in Smash. I just see Paper Mario as a wasted opportunity of a character. He would be a perfect fighter - popularity, music, stage, there's so much potential in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom