• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Guess I'll throw in my 3 cents for three more seasons. Assuming we get that many.

Season 1
  • Joker (:ultjoker:)
  • Hero (:ulthero:)
  • Banjo & Kazooie (:ultbanjokazooie:)
  • Terry Bogard
  • Ryu Hayabusa
Season 2
  • Geno
  • Rex & Pyra
  • Steve
  • Sora
  • Phoenix Wright
Season 3
  • Waluigi
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Professor Layton
  • Master Chief
  • Crash Bandicoot
No. The colors do not mean I support Color Theory.
I'd love this and I would buy it instantly. Geno, Rex & Pyra, Phoenix Wright, Waluigi but I'd be a bit sad we didn't get more than one assist upgrade maybe a specific main character from a series that rhymes with hold in run but otherwise it's a pretty great roster.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Here's my guess for another pass:

Character that some, but not a ton of people wanted.
Character considered "not deserving", revision upon inclusion.
Character that Japan likes
Character considered deconfirmed, revision upon inclusion
Character that people actually wanted

Behold, my predictions.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

Behold, my predictions.
No way any of this is true fake

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Tried making one of the 3 passes lists, and I made it about 5 characters in before I started really struggling and just putting characters in for the sake of putting characters in. I know I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the big speculation characters, but if I get like 3 of my (third party) most wanteds than Smash Ultimate really will have satiated me. (I could make a 20+ list of 1st parties however...)

I'll post it later with some 1st party/community most wanteds plugged in.

Damn Smash Ultimate is really good isn't it?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
My prediction for future passes is...Sakurai is going to give me exactly what I want.

Season 1
5. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]

Season 2
1. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
2. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
3. Kunio/Riki [River City Ransom]
4. Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
5. Nathan Spencer [Bionic Commando]

Season 3
1. Rash/Zitz [Battletoads]
2. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
3. SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]
4. Kazuma Kiryu [Yakuza]
5. Geno

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So, if you know me you know that I have pretty much stated in the past that Sora is absolutely, 100%, definitely, certainly, never going to happen in Smash becaus I interned at Disney Studios (The Film Division) for a little bit of time. I know how protective they are and I know how hard it is to get something out of then without them getting something in return and that still, absolutely, holds true to this day.

Now being in the film division I never really heard much about other goings on. There is a glimmer of hope for you Sora fans though. Very, VERY slight but it is something.

Some of my friends at Disney Studios that stayed on after I left know I'm a huge Nintendo fan and, hoo boy. They told me that Disney is actively trying to gain distribution and production rights in a Nintendo property for the upcoming Disney+ service. Of course, this is all VERY early so no one really knows what property they're trying to snag. My guess would be Zelda since, after Mario (Universal) and Pokemon (Warner Bros.), it's their most well known property available. Just my speculation though.

I want to stress that this is ABSOLUTELY hearsay. I have no way to confirm this and the way my buddies are talking it's looking like it's just rumblings within the studio. Because of the fact that Disney Studios is separated from Pixar, Disney Animation, Disney Television, etc. it's not exactly ALWAYS reliable

What am I trying to say? Well, Sora's chances may have just dropped from 100% impossible, to a solid 95% impossible. If there was ever a shot Sakurai could take for Sora it's now for this next pass.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So, if you know me you know that I have pretty much stated in the past that Sora is absolutely, 100%, definitely, certainly, never going to happen in Smash becaus I interned at Disney Studios (The Film Division) for a little bit of time. I know how protective they are and I know how hard it is to get something out of then without them getting something in return and that still, absolutely, holds true to this day.
I'm not saying I disagree with you but...ya know...

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
My prediction for future passes is...Sakurai is going to give me exactly what I want.

Season 1
5. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]

Season 2
1. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
2. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
3. Kunio/Riki [River City Ransom]
4. Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
5. Nathan Spencer [Bionic Commando]

Season 3
1. Rash/Zitz [Battletoads]
2. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
3. SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]
4. Kazuma Kiryu [Yakuza]
5. Geno
you just want the tank from slug not the people inside?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Behold, my predictions.
If this happens you become the new Vergeben.

Don't let the power get to your head.

Now being in the film division I never really heard much about other goings on. There is a glimmer of hope for you Sora fans though. Very, VERY slight but it is something.

Some of my friends at Disney Studios that stayed on after I left know I'm a huge Nintendo fan and, hoo boy. They told me that Disney is actively trying to gain distribution and production rights in a Nintendo property for the upcoming Disney+ service. Of course, this is all VERY early so no one really knows what property they're trying to snag. My guess would be Zelda since, after Mario (Universal) and Pokemon (Warner Bros.), it's their most well known property available. Just my speculation though.

I want to stress that this is ABSOLUTELY hearsay. I have no way to confirm this and the way my buddies are talking it's looking like it's just rumblings within the studio. Because of the fact that Disney Studios is separated from Pixar, Disney Animation, Disney Television, etc. it's not exactly ALWAYS reliable

What am I trying to say? Well, Sora's chances may have just dropped from 100% impossible, to a solid 95% impossible. If there was ever a shot Sakurai could take for Sora it's now for this next pass.
I 100% disagree with that take on Sora's chances, I don't think Disney would be that protective of KH and we have examples to back it up but that said...

Holy **** this would be amazing!! Disney making a series about a Nintendo franchise? Man, Disney+ can't come soon enough.

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
Do people really want Steve in Smash or is it just a bit of a meme people have come to embrace? I really enjoy Minecraft and even owned a server for a little, but I can't imagine a more boring character with as limited moveset potential as him.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Might as well throw in my two cents for the 16 character theory.

This is 100% my wishlist. I know we won't be getting 4 Mario characters.

Pass 1:
:ultjoker:
:ulthero:
:ultbanjokazooie:
Terry
Doom Slayer

Pass 2:
Crash Bandicoot
Master Chief
Heihachi
Shovel Knight
Spyro

Pass 3:
Toad
Waluigi
Paper Mario
Gen 8 Pokémon
Geno

Bonus: Free Echo Fighters!
:ultpacman:Ms. Pac-Man
:ultsonic:Shadow
:ultmegaman:Proto Man
:ultcloud:Zack Fair
(Crash) Coco Bandicoot

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
My guess for the 16 character theory.

First wave:
Piranha Plant
Joker
Hero
Banjo-Kazooie
Terry
Doomguy

Second wave:
Ryu Hayabusa
Steve
Rex & Pyra
Akira Howard
Rayman

Third wave:
Jill Valentine
Lloyd Irving
Waluigi
Bandanna Dee
Crash Bandicoot

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
since everyone's doing it why not
Fighters Pass 2
Llyod
Dante
Crash
Doom Guy
Sora
they gotta throw some character no one was talking about so why not i just thought him but it could be anyone
Fighters Pass 3
Rayman
Master Cheif
Jill or Leon
Adol From Ys
(they gotta throw some character no one was talking about so why not i just thought him but it could be anyone give everyone a curveball)
Travis Touchdown

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
For fun, I'll do my own predictions counting on 3 season passes. That's my predictions, not my most wanted; several of my favorites have a very low chance, meanwhile I added characters I don't like in the list.

Season 1
  • Joker
  • Hero
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Terry Bogard
  • Phoenix Wright
Season 2
  • Waluigi
  • Rex
  • Isaac
  • BWD
  • Geno
Season 3
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Steve
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Doom slayer
  • Resident Evil rep
My thinking was to get a first party pass then another third party pass. It may be reversed.

Also, I picked characters that are only renown everywhere, even if wanted more in one or another part of the world. Generally the first or two first characters are widely known by everyone, the two following wanted by Japan, then by the west, to sell the pass more quickly. Last characters are more niche picks that wouldn't be top sellers.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
All these great characters. But only 11 to choose. :urg:

Beyond my posted wishlist, I still want Rayman, Dante, Lloyd, Monster Hunter, Leon Kennedy, Tails, Knuckles, Isaac, Bomberman, Bandana Waddle Dee, Impa, Midna / Wolf Link, Ryu Hayabusa, and Alucard.

I have a note on my phone where I tried to compile the "ultimate" (no pun intended) roster where every plausible character for Smash is playable.
It's inching toward 200 characters not including Echo Fighters.

I'll post a link to it some time when I organize it better.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Do people really want Steve in Smash or is it just a bit of a meme people have come to embrace? I really enjoy Minecraft and even owned a server for a little, but I can't imagine a more boring character with as limited moveset potential as him.
People dismissed Sans as a mere meme yet here he is so.... Not to mention Minecraft's hatred mostly stems from old ****s who yell about how games from after the ps2 at most aren't good anymore

M@R!3

Smash Ace

Interesting. There's a new guy who took over the VP of Business Development and Licensing for Games position at Disney back in August. Looking over his posts he's pretty familiar with games and events featuring them, specifically mentioning a Nintendo Direct, and describes his job as "making cool stuff happen". Of course, all of this is very recent as well. Maybe we have a perfect storm in the making for that 1/14,000,000. None of this means anything if new negotiations aren't on the table, and right now we don't even know the state of negotiations regarding characters beyond the pass.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
There is legitimate support for Steve. So many gaming icons have gotten in Smash yet the arguably biggest game of the 21st century has not been represented whatsoever in Smash. Steve has crafting and block placement, which is something completely new to Smash and no other character in the roster has access to. If anything, the moveset potential for Steve is quite huge.

I'll try to post a couple of movesets that I like and hopefully they might give you an idea on how the character would fight:

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
People dismissed Sans as a mere meme yet here he is so.... Not to mention Minecraft's hatred mostly stems from old ****s who yell about how games from after the ps2 at most aren't good anymore
Steve making an appearance as a Mii skin akin to Sans is very different to him being a fully fledged fighter, far less resources need to be dedicated to such. People when discussing him for Smash almost always mean a DLC fighter.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
16 characters aye. Well I don't believe assists will get an upgrade so heres my take
Pack 1
  • Joker
  • Hero
  • Banjo and Kazooie
  • Terry Bogard
  • Ryu Hayabusa
Pack 2
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Sora
  • Heihachi
  • Leon or Jill (RE)
  • Doom Slayer
Pack 3
  • Lara Croft
  • new echo fighter
  • Reimu or Crash Bandicoot
  • Ezio Alditori or rabbid
  • First Party Character

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So a vain attempt to eke out order from the chaos, I think we can safely say that any DLC Mii costumes disconfirm that character for the time being.

I'd very much like to be proven wrong on that (Zero...) but it seems to me that if a 3rd party has negotiated for the likness of their character to be sold as a costume it generally means they aren't planning on making them appear in full. Characters Nintendo already owns, as long as there's no interstudio friction they can change their minds on those.

So far, the only Nintendo owned DLC costumes is Team Rocket and even at that, they're a partial ownership deal.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So far, the only Nintendo owned DLC costumes is Team Rocket and even at that, they're a partial ownership deal.
Now that you mention it, I'm kind of happy we're getting some Nintendo owned costumes too.

Hopefully they will bring back some of the cut first party costumes from Smash 4 too as there were some good ones they left out for some reason.

D

Deleted member

You can tell how toxic the fanbase of a character is by their reaction to the character getting disconfirmed as an AT or Mii Costume and I think it's a very interesting exercise to do.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You can tell how toxic the fanbase of a character is by their reaction to the character getting disconfirmed as an AT or Mii Costume and I think it's a very interesting exercise to do.
Honestly yeah, some of the more toxic crowd I've seen screeched that ATs are worthless but then you see **** like how people reacted to Sans or Shovel Knight, or even Black Knight and think "Man, why can't we be as happy as they are?"

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Honestly yeah, some of the more toxic crowd I've seen screeched that ATs are worthless but then you see **** like how people reacted to Sans or Shovel Knight, or even Black Knight and think "Man, why can't we be as happy as they are?"
I think the difference is expectations. For the case of Waluigi, most fans thought of him as a guarantee to be added into the game, so when he was made an assist again fans felt a sense of 'betrayal' despite never explicitly being promised anything. Whereas Sans and even Shovel Knight were "no-hopers" if there ever was any and they made it in some form.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think the difference is expectations. For the case of Waluigi, most fans thought of him as a guarantee to be added into the game, so when he was made an assist again fans felt a sense of 'betrayal' despite never explicitly being promised anything. Whereas Sans and even Shovel Knight were "no-hopers" if there ever was any and they made it in some form.
This pretty much, its more down to expectations more than anything. Characters people feel are "guaranteed", "locks" or "shoo ins" or just outright highly demanded would feel betrayed and fan the flames if they don't end up making it in.

Characters most people consider to be "never evers" or highly unlikely like Shovel Knight and Sans people would be very grateful to see even if it was something as minor as a spirit. Because its something that is completely unexpected as Sakurai could have just ignored their whole existence if he wanted to, but he still decided to give the fans a little something to show that he has heard their voices for the characters.

Even for someone like Joker was met with a lot of praise when he was confirmed because he was also sort perceived as a "never ever" initially but he also managed to make it in as a full playable fighter to boot.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I mean, if you considered Waluigi super likely despite being an assist twice already, that's your fault

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Guess I'll throw in my 3 cents for three more seasons. Assuming we get that many.

Season 1
  • Joker (:ultjoker:)
  • Hero (:ulthero:)
  • Banjo & Kazooie (:ultbanjokazooie:)
  • Terry Bogard
  • Ryu Hayabusa
Season 2
  • Geno
  • Rex & Pyra
  • Steve
  • Sora
  • Phoenix Wright
Season 3
  • Waluigi
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Professor Layton
  • Master Chief
  • Crash Bandicoot
No. The colors do not mean I support Color Theory.
Here are my guesses

S1
Joker
Hero
Banjo
Terry
Crash

S2
Doomguy
Hayabusa
Tracer
Sora
Heihachi

S3 (Nintendo Season)
Rex
Edelgard
Dimitri
Claude
Waluigi

I know people wont be happy with this lol

I mean, if you considered Waluigi super likely despite being an assist twice already, that's your fault
I never was on the Waluigi for base game train, but I think either for DLC or for the next game he is a lock because his fans be loud.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He is a popular character so a few people thought he was a given despite Nintendo showing us from time to time, they tend to pick characters that not necessarily be popular with the fanbase along popular ones.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I met many people on Discord who were both huge Undertale fans and found Sans highly likely for the game.

Their reactions towards the Mi costume were even more positive than around here, which does mean a lot.

ze9

Smash Ace
I think what secretly made the reception to Sans so good was the Megalovania remix. Also helps that the Sans costume is the most credible costume by far, and that Sans doesn't have an obvious moveset so it's actually a very good approximation.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
S1:
71 -:ultjoker:
72 -:ulthero:
73 -:ultbanjokazooie:
74 - Terry Bogard
75 - Doom Guy

S2: (No particular order)
Capcom Rep (Dante, Phoenix Wright, Resident Evil rep, etc.)
Crash
Steve
Ryu Hayabusa
Namco Rep (Dark Souls rep, Heihachi, Lloyd, etc.)

S3: (Same as S2)
Edelgard
Gen 8 Pokemon
Geno (Upgraded from Spirit)
Sora
Waluigi (Upgraded from Assist)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom