• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Its safe to say that the DLC for Smash is very much wide open and I pretty much expect future DLC to be a mix of 1st and 3rd party characters. Anyways, here are several candidates that I have in mind.

- Rex & Pyra - We all know that the roster was decided early in Ultimate's development which meant that any new games such as the likes of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which are developed after the finalised roster were unlikely to make it in. Although Rex was unveiled as a Mii costume, the news from Nintendo/Sakurai would obviously give them an opportunity to add him to the Smash roster.

- Pokemon Sword & Shield rep - It is highly likely that they will include another new Pokemon from the Galar region. What Pokemon will it be? I predict this could be one of the final evolution starters or perhaps Zacian or Zamazenta would be my ideal choices.

- Akira Howard - With the critical reception of Astral Chain, it would not be a surprise if Akira is considered to be a DLC candidate for Smash.

- Byleth/Edelgard - Fire Emblem: Three Houses is very well recieved and like Astral Chain, I would not be surprised if someone from their latest installment is considered for Smash DLC.

Third Party Candidates:

- Capcom: Another character from the Capcom franchise could still be possible. Perhaps they could consider someone who has yet to debut in Smash from the likes of Resident Evil etc.

- Bandai Namco: The only franchises that I could see get represented in future Smash DLC would be between either of these three franchises which are Tekken, SoulCalibur or the Tales series.

- Koei Tecmo: Although Ryu Hayabusa was hinted via the debunked 4chan post, I'd still say he is still a viable candidate to represent the Koei Tecmo franchise. Other candidates that I have in mind would be characters from the Dead or Alive franchise from Kasumi, Ayame or Marie Rose.

- Arc Systems Works: Known for their works with Guilty Gear and Blazblue franchises, it maybe possible to see either Sol Badguy, Ky Kiske, Dizzy, Ragna the Bloodedge or perhaps Jin Kisaragi as candidates for Smash.

I'm pretty sure that there are other candidates from Bethseda, Overwatch etc and perhaps a second SNK character could still have a possibility of being represented in Smash.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I definitely think there will be a second Fighter Pass and will be more third party fighters.

On the Japanese side of things, I think Hayabusa, Heihachi, Jill or Leon, and Dante are the top four most likely.

On the western side of things, I think Doom Slayer, Crash Bandicoot, Gordon Freeman, and Master Chief are the top four most likely. Though I don't know how many western fighters we'll actually get.

Just thinking of what most of those franchises did for gaming, they all seem very likely to me. There are others, of course, I mentioned them in my last post.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Yeah, ''new worlds'' means probably no Skull Kid, no Toad, no Dixie... I'm kinda disappointed, especially since Banjo & Kazooie are the only fighter so far that I'm familiar with. But that's good news for most people.
Yeah, honestly I just want the missing Nintendo stars so this is a bit bittersweet still.

I guess I can still hope we somehow get a Valve rep or Crash Bandicoot or a Resident Evil character but personally I just want Toad, Dixie, Dee and a new Zelda character. Nearly 20 years into Smash and still waiting for characters who should really have been playable during the Brawl era...sigh.

Hope isn't lost for Astral Chain which is something or ironically a Three House character since they're in a different world from previous Fire Emblem characters. I wonder how Smashboards would take it if Byleth or Edelgard, Dimitri or Claude somehow made the cuts at this point...

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
New worlds could still mean we could get a KoF rep... maybe ;(
Since Terry's stage is the King of Fighters arena, I get the feeling that Nintendo is counting him as a King of Fighters representative as well, I mean considering that Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting were essentially absorbed into the King of Fighters series all the characters might as well be KoF characters..for that matter, Psycho Soldier got absorbed in there too...I doubt we'll ever see a new Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, or Psycho Soldier game..

Regardless, it does mean that the world of King of Fighters is already represented via a stage...though technically it is with Terry too considering that KoF and Fatal Fury exist in the same world..in fact..now that I think about, Athena Asamiya from Psycho Soldier is a King of Fighters character..Athena Asamiya is the reincarnation of Goddess Athena from Athena..so Athena is part of the KoF world as well..funny how these things work out lol I love when things take place in the same universe canonically.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Since Terry's stage is the King of Fighters arena, I get the feeling that Nintendo is counting him as a King of Fighters representative as well, I mean considering that Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting were essentially absorbed into the King of Fighters series all the characters might as well be KoF characters..for that matter, Psycho Soldier got absorbed in there too...I doubt we'll ever see a new Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, or Psycho Soldier game..

Regardless, it does mean that the world of King of Fighters is already represented via a stage...though technically it is with Terry too considering that KoF and Fatal Fury exist in the same world..in fact..now that I think about, Athena Asamiya from Psycho Soldier is a King of Fighters character..Athena Asamiya is the reincarnation of Goddess Athena from Athena..so Athena is part of the KoF world as well..funny how these things work out lol I love when things take place in the same universe canonically.
I mean, maybe? Though I do kind of doubt it considering that the trailer itself even said 'Smash Ultimate x Fatal Fury', not 'x KOF'.

You might be right tho, we won't know for sure for a little while.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I think we're going to have another Square rep in the next pass. The thing that hurts me a little bit is... I think Geno and Sora both deserve to be in the game and probably only one will joining the roster (maaaaybe is gonna be a third fighter pass but it's too soon to talk about that). I like both of them, they're not my top picks but I would be happy for sure with the two.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Its safe to say that the DLC for Smash is very much wide open and I pretty much expect future DLC to be a mix of 1st and 3rd party characters. Anyways, here are several candidates that I have in mind.

- Rex & Pyra - We all know that the roster was decided early in Ultimate's development which meant that any new games such as the likes of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which are developed after the finalised roster were unlikely to make it in. Although Rex was unveiled as a Mii costume, the news from Nintendo/Sakurai would obviously give them an opportunity to add him to the Smash roster.

- Pokemon Sword & Shield rep - It is highly likely that they will include another new Pokemon from the Galar region. What Pokemon will it be? I predict this could be one of the final evolution starters or perhaps Zacian or Zamazenta would be my ideal choices.

- Akira Howard - With the critical reception of Astral Chain, it would not be a surprise if Akira is considered to be a DLC candidate for Smash.

- Byleth/Edelgard - Fire Emblem: Three Houses is very well recieved and like Astral Chain, I would not be surprised if someone from their latest installment is considered for Smash DLC.
Maybe I am jumping the gun on this one, but I don't think deconfirmations such as being a spirit or an assist matter as much here in the second pass. Sakurai stated this is moreso based on fanservice (as if the starting roster and DLC weren't enough), right? We can also assume this wasn't part of the original plan (perhaps created as an idea post-launch) and so stuff like spirit battles wouldn't have accounted for this. I don't really mind much for most the (likely) deconfirmed fighters nor a new Mon, but I'd like to see some newer fighters and fan favorites like Isaac get a chance, because they'd make a lot of people happy.

If my theory is correct, that this was made post-launch and primarily based on first/second parties (they are running short on budget, after all, so five more third parties wouldn't make sense), who do you all expect to see beyond the obligatory Pokemon, FE, Astral mentions?

also nobody answered my question last time with pfp troubles :(

D

Deleted member

Busy cleaning up the trash after the Smash Bros X SNK party I had with the fam.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
While a second pass might allow spirit and AT to be playable....
Please remember that Sakurai is the kind of guy that is Maniac of Logic and details.
Alucard can't spawn on Wii Fit stages because he have no reflection cuz he's a Vampire.
The Moon can't be used on Bay.
There others instances where he push details to the extreme and pragmatic logic.

Him feeling that "it's wrong for this Spirit/.PNG to be equipped to his own Fighter" is Sakurai enough to make him unable to let it happens...

The counter case being Chrom happening in both Final Smash and Fighter. But that's another case and Chrom was probably very well be a very last second addition and Bonus with how two patches were needed to fix his wrist/arms animation that were bugged from the transition to Roy > Chrom.

I still feel that AT and Spirit are out of this. And it hurt me to say it, and I hope I'm wrong, because I would kill for Isaac to be playable

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
So Terry has blue on his fighters pass card.

Color theory is reborn :yeahboi:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Who wants to bet that Terry will come with spirits for; Kyo, Ryo, Joe, Andy, Geese, Nakoruru and Ioji? With Team USA as the Legend?

Also just mopped up all the Banjo spirits. Little bit disappointed that the Gruntilda spirit isnt as involved as the legend spirits from the previous two fighters

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I think we're going to have another Square rep in the next pass. The thing that hurts me a little bit is... I think Geno and Sora both deserve to be in the game and probably only one will joining the roster (maaaaybe is gonna be a third fighter pass but it's too soon to talk about that). I like both of them, they're not my top picks but I would be happy for sure with the two.
Honestly I think Geno is definitely going to appear as a Mii costume again. However this time with 2 music tracks, following suite with Sans coming with Megalomania.
Sora I could see happening but its pretty up in the air currently.

zferolie

Smash Hero

As johmny says at around the 13 minute mark, they are reay getting ready for an indie rep, and it really has to be Shantae. Other then reimu, no other Ondie character is as big as she is, who isnt deconfirmed by being a mii costume or assist trophy. A spirit is a very easy thing to upgrade to a fighter after all.

Will she be fighter 5? Who knows. O think it is very possible she is though or the fighter after that.

As everyone else is posting their list, but wotj just 6, ill go with a full 11, as we know there are 11 slots including fighter 5. The order of the ones agter FP5 are in no particular order just who i think is likely mixed with who i want.

FP5: Shantae

1. Ryu Hayabusa. I feel like its happening maybe, it makes sense
2. Doomslayer. makes sense with how much Bethesda's pushing doom on the switch. Its gonna happen at some point.
3. Geno. If shantae is getting a spirit upgrade Geno is as well. Very highly requested.
4. Tales of rep. Either lloyd or Velvet or Yuri. Only other namco rep i expect other then...
5. Ms Pac Man. Echo of pac man. I think they may throw in 3 echos with other fighters.
6. Medusa. Palutena echo. Another female villain and very popular from sakurais creation.
7. Impa. Shiek echo. Our new zelda rep.
8. Rex and pyra. I know i said mii costumes disconfirm, but that one i think is an exception. Sakurai basically said if he had more time and they released just a bit sooner they would have been in the base game. This dlc just makes sense to add them in.
9. A new nintendo series rep. I expect 1 series to gett added in, but which i cannot say. I am torn between 3. ARMS rep as ribbon Girl, Rhythm girl from Rhythm heaven, or a new retro rep like Mach Fighter or Demille from tomato adventure. Those are really the only nintendo series i can think of. I will say that one of the nintendo echos would release with this, and the other with Rex and pyra.
10. Some other third party rep. I am just not sure here haha. Jill from RE, a monster hunter, someone from Arksystem works, or most likely Rayman.

The echos are a toss up, easily couldnt happen either. If they dont i would say Jill, Rayman, and one of my nintendo reps replace those 3

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Sakurai talking about "continuing to put different game worlds together" supports us getting more "new franchise fighters", but even then, it's not like an existing franchise newcomer is definitively out, at best being as much of a fair game as the newbies and at worst being an exception to that.

Though in terms of first party IPs that'd be new fighter franchises, and would be competing with each other for a Smash inclusion, there was that one that was considered for Smash before...
The_Chorus_Kids_Megamix.png

As johmny says at around the 13 minute mark, they are reay getting ready for an indie rep, and it really has to be Shantae. Other then reimu, no other Ondie character is as big as she is, who isnt deconfirmed by being a mii costume or assist trophy. A spirit is a very easy thing to upgrade to a fighter after all.
dontdothatdontgivemehope.jpg
Shantae would be pretty cool though, and she thankfully doesn't have Undertale to compete with now!

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
if you are hoping for old school 1st party fighters, geno, or sora you are not gonna have a good time.

astral chain, FE three houses, or MAYBE a second xeno blade rep are more likely. given how much sakurai loves figthing games his three favorites he played were street fighter, kof, and tekken. so i'd guess tekken is coming.
we may see spyro or crash as the last fighter in this pack.

second wave i epxect to see more reps from companies with large third party characters. namco, capcom, SE, and more.

do not have hopes for assist trophy upgrades or echo dlc characters that probably isnt happening. nor should it imo.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
- Arc Systems Works: Known for their works with Guilty Gear and Blazblue franchises, it maybe possible to see either Sol Badguy, Ky Kiske, Dizzy, Ragna the Bloodedge or perhaps Jin Kisaragi as candidates for Smash.
Don't do that. Don't give me that hope

zferolie

Smash Hero
if you are hoping for old school 1st party fighters, geno, or sora you are not gonna have a good time.

astral chain, FE three houses, or MAYBE a second xeno blade rep are more likely. given how much sakurai loves figthing games his three favorites he played were street fighter, kof, and tekken. so i'd guess tekken is coming.

second wave i epxect to see more reps from companies with large third party characters. namco, capcom, SE, and more.

do not have hopes for assist trophy upgrades or echo dlc characters that probably isnt happening. nor should it imo.
Not putting too much stock into echos, but spirit upgrades are quite likely. Geno and Shantae and Rayman are the 3 most likely to get a spirit upgrade, with Rex and Pyra being both a mii costume and spirit upgrade, as its quite obvious sakurai wanted them in.

We know sakurai also really liked super mario rpg and wanted him in since melee and brawl. The idea of geno not gettimg a stage and only a limited amount of music actually strengthens his case.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
While a second pass might allow spirit and AT to be playable....
Please remember that Sakurai is the kind of guy that is Maniac of Logic and details.
Alucard can't spawn on Wii Fit stages because he have no reflection cuz he's a Vampire.
The Moon can't be used on Bay.
There others instances where he push details to the extreme and pragmatic logic.

Him feeling that "it's wrong for this Spirit/.PNG to be equipped to his own Fighter" is Sakurai enough to make him unable to let it happens...

The counter case being Chrom happening in both Final Smash and Fighter. But that's another case and Chrom was probably very well be a very last second addition and Bonus with how two patches were needed to fix his wrist/arms animation that were bugged from the transition to Roy > Chrom.

I still feel that AT and Spirit are out of this. And it hurt me to say it, and I hope I'm wrong, because I would kill for Isaac to be playable
I think ATs are definitely still out of it, an AT is a pretty significant piece of content, but I do think Spirits are granted a second chance. The only reason that Spirits are considered a no-go for the Fighters Pass is because they're an indication that the character wasn't planned to be DLC, not because Spirits themselves are too significant to be overruled. I don't think we can just go and assume weird Sakurai logic holding something back, I agree he has some... unique ways of seeing things at times, but we can shut down just about any point of discussion if we just fantasize us to weird Sakurai logic. Also, it's already possible for fighters to equip themselves as Spirits, I did most of WoL with Ridley equipping an Omega Ridley Spirit, so it's already pretty loose in that regard.

With that said, there aren't a lot of Spirits I view as being super likely given what Sakurai said about bringing new worlds together, if the additional DLC continue to have a focus on 3rd party, then that basically just narrows the discussion down to Geno, and maybe Rayman at a stretch. If 1st party are possible again, then off the top of my head I can only really think of Rex, but it's debatable how much of a "new world" XC2 would be.

Last edited:
Sakurai talking about "continuing to put different game worlds together" supports us getting more "new franchise fighters", but even then, it's not like an existing franchise newcomer is definitively out, at best being as much of a fair game as the newbies and at worst being an exception to that.
That's what I feel it means too. Like, I wouldn't be suprised if the DLC is mostly 3rd party (like 70-75%) and I do think that's how it will likely pan out, but I don't think Sakurai meant to say every DLC character from here on out will be third party. I think we will still see some first parties eventually (particularly Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee)

EDIT: It seems Sakurai's "new worlds" statement was a mistranslation. His real statement was much more vague

EDIT 2: I forgot about Rex. I'd really be more shocked if he didn't become one of the Post-Pass characters, especially given how sad Sakurai seemed when talking about his Mii Costume.

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman

I not sure why people are even thinking Astral Chain at all, the game came out last august and is a completely new IP that wouldn't benefit from Smash advertising. FE three houses and XC2 could happen but are probably low on the list compared to characters from new worlds.

I think Geno will have his last shot for smash with this pass however I would put my money on Geno returning as a costume. If Nintendo want a big out of the park shock character then Sora is the only choice (obviously not including Goku and such).

If Activision are going to have a character in smash it would probably be just as likely to be Tracer than Crash (I don't see Spyro having a shot considering Japan not enjoying the purple dragon much)

I agree that the second pass (if it is a second pass and not just 2 extra characters) will consist of Namco, Capcom and SE characters with these companies having some of the biggest Iconic characters left not already in smash.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The unused data in World of Light implies that they could add 10 additional fighters, enough for them to do two more Fighter Passes.

Untouch

Smash Master
I'm kind of expecting the last characters to be characters big in speculation that didn't make the cut, like Crash, Travis, Ryu (if they aren't #5 at least).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm just going to assume that spirits still deconfirm until proven otherwise. Sans getting free remix makes me think Geno will get the same treatment. Funny as **** how Sans has the most talk out of everything, Terry being overshadowed isn't surprising as all we saw were 2 moves but the new character that released getting overshadowed? Wild

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I dunno why people say the Activision rep would be anyone but crash. Tracer for instance is not as well known as crash, isn’t established, has less Moveset potential. The list goes on. The more I see people say crash wouldn’t be the choice the more I think people are just saying that just to convince themselves he won’t be the activision rep

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think you guys are largely misinterpreting the “new worlds” statement. Iirc it was actually “this might be the last time multiple game worlds collide” or something along those lines. Didn’t say anything about new game worlds, just game worlds in general.

So basically, Sakurai can include characters from existing “worlds” too.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I dunno why people say the Activision rep would be anyone but crash. Tracer for instance is not as well known as crash, isn’t established, has less Moveset potential. The list goes on. The more I see people say crash wouldn’t be the choice the more I think people are just saying that just to convince themselves he won’t be the activision rep
I think its more to the fact that if Nintendo went to Activision for a character they might prefer Tracer to get taken as Overwatch is more successful currently than Crash is for Activision. Crash was only recently brought back into the lime light whereas Overwatch is a highly popular competetive shooter that has made the company mega bucks. That as well as the fact that Activision is willing to hand over Tracer to other companies (as shown by her appearance in Ready Player One).
Personally I don't think either character will make the cut but they are probably both equally likely in some ways, whether with Crash's legacy or Tracer's highly successful game.

Edit;
Question: is there any way to see the threads with the highest number of pages / followers for individual characters? I was curious as to what fighters had the most pages so I can see what fighters a larger majority of people would like to see in smash. Currently I think Geno has the highest number of pages.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
If Sakurai is focused on bringing in more universes after the first pass is complete, I'll pray that Rex can be included as a free bonus like his Mii costume in the original pass (available separately of course).

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I think you guys are largely misinterpreting the “new worlds” statement. Iirc it was actually “this might be the last time multiple game worlds collide” or something along those lines. Didn’t say anything about new game worlds, just game worlds in general.

So basically, Sakurai can include characters from existing “worlds” too.
His exact quote was "adding more characters into the game means that more game worlds will be added to the series"

Obviously could be slightly ambiguous but it certainly implies that itll be weighted to unrepresented franchises than not

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
His exact quote was "adding more characters into the game means that more game worlds will be added to the series"

Obviously could be slightly ambiguous but it certainly implies that itll be waited to unrepresented franchises than not
Even in represented franchises, some worlds differ among installments, like how the world of Fire Emblem Awakening is different from the world of Fire Emblem Fates, or Xenoblade 1’s Bionis and Mechonis vs Xenoblade X’s Mira.

so basically, Elma confirmed. Please

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think people need to think of Activision and Blizzard as two separate things, much like how Joker is an Atlus rep before he's a Sega rep. Even then, I don't believe they'd go out of their way to specifically get their hands on an Activision rep, they choose characters, not companies. and Activision's biggest contenders for Smash aren't even characters they themselves created. If Crash makes it, it'll be because they wanted the character in the game, not because of some need to represent Activision.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
(Because it's more fun than constantly talking about the same 6-7 characters, especially when some people would disagree over which one would have the more interesting moveset)

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
There was a problem fetching the tweet
So, now, it looks like that Milk-bosatu said that the female character would be the last fighter in the fighters pass.
So, Milk-bosatu is still not dead.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I think you guys are clinging to this "new worlds" statement too much. He was just closing out his presentation (which was ad libbed afaik), and wanted to say that smash is going to add more characters from all over the place. Speculating based off of a single vague sentence seems hasty.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Except, unless the Fighter Pass for some reason has two SNK characters, I don't know who it could be.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So, now, it looks like that Milk-bosatu said that the female character would be the last fighter in the fighters pass.
I see he’s mentioning Neptune (from Neptunia) at the end. I’m guessing that’s just a personal wish.

Except, unless the Fighter Pass for some reason has two SNK characters, I don't know who it could be.
You got plenty of non-SNK female choices. Jill, Lara, 2B, KOS-MOS, Adeleine, (if we’re counting Spirits THIS early) Shantae or Elma...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I see he’s mentioning Neptune (from Neptunia) at the end. I’m guessing that’s just a personal wish.

You got plenty of non-SNK female choices. Jill, Lara, 2B, KOS-MOS, Adeleine, (if we’re counting Spirits THIS early) Shantae or Elma...
The original rumor clearly implied that the female character was from a company new to Smash and uses a projectile.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Random thing to note: the character select screen after the fighters pass is done will have 3 blank spots. So take that as you will.

I know these kinds of theories have been thrown around before, but that's just something I noticed.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I was waiting for this... i wonder if this ties to already in the game... please shantae... please. An indie figjter is needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom