• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'd call 'You only get to use side b 5 times per stock' a gimmick but that's me
Not really a gimmick but more of a limit. Do you REALLY want a move that has invulnerability and KO power to be used with no repercussions? The move can't be intercepted while recovering, it can literally make edgeguarding against Banjo-Kazooie useless.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Not really a gimmick but more of a limit. Do you REALLY want a move that has invulnerability and KO power to be used with no repercussions? The move can't be intercepted while recovering, it can literally make edgeguarding against Banjo-Kazooie useless.
Oh I agree it's needed if the move's going to be that good, but at the same time a limit is a gimmick. See Robin as an example after all. That being said, the balance team seems to know how to balance this **** now outside of Robin as resource-heavy moves SHOULD be downright stupid. Makes me wonder if a Resident Evil character will expand on that in the future with limited ammo and healing items per stock

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There was a problem fetching the tweet
So, now, it looks like that Milk-bosatu said that the female character would be the last fighter in the fighters pass.
So, Milk-bosatu is still not dead.
They also said fighter 5 is someone who had already appeared. So if they had them swapped, somehow Terry's previous role in Ultimate eludes me.

Isn’t Terry still in development? It’s possible Mr. H showed Milk FP5, who fits those conditions, early and Milk erroneously thought it was FP4. This is also possibly evidenced by Mr. H not knowing who Nakoruru is.
They made the clear distinction between fighters four and five. Even if they got the order mixed up, they were referring to two separate characters.

Here's the exact tweet, now that I'm not on mobile.

It doesn't really surprise me people are reading this much into his words, but I'm just going to wait until DLC 7 or 8 until I try to judge what's going on (and even then I'll probably still be wrong). Seems the most sane way to go about it.

Wait a second

*facepalm*

Omg I’m such a idiot the real most likely character is right in front of my eyes

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/03/23/cuphead-in-super-smash-bros-ultimate/

Cuphead is on switch now so he’s Eligible

Creator wants him

This was before wave 2 anno7cne we got a wave 2

Cuphead May be happening
If anything, Sans treatment seems likeliest.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
For example, yes. Having a gimmick isn't even a bad thing, I don't get the hate as we had gimmicks since Kirby was added
its because some people ha e nostalgia in thier eyes and wnat things to go back to the "good old days." same thing when people beg for sakurai to not add more 3rd party characters. The game has changed character have comeback mechanics and win more mechanics character are designed with combo routes in mind. I'd love if some of the older characters received gimmicks to help them out falcon charging up his fists to strengthen his punching moves, bowser tough-guy armor expanded, peach wouldnt need it, and more give ganon a float like some of the mods, ect. the game is more fun when characters have more options.

id say Sakurai agrees based on the majority of dlc characters over smash lifetime have been complex in nature.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Honestly I was actually ready for smash ultimate to be over. I don’t know how I feel about more DLC

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Gimmick is just a charged word. It's like a more insulting version of the word mechanic.
Are you for real, Smash fans deluded themselves into thinking 'gimmick' inherently means bad? I don't like how Banjo plays but that's because he doesn't click well with me lmao
its because some people ha e nostalgia in thier eyes and wnat things to go back to the "good old days." same thing when people beg for sakurai to not add more 3rd party characters. The game has changed character have comeback mechanics and win more mechanics character are designed with combo routes in mind. I'd love if some of the older characters received gimmicks to help them out falcon charging up his fists to strengthen his punching moves, bowser tough-guy armor expanded, peach wouldnt need it, and more give ganon a float like some of the mods, ect. the game is more fun when characters have more options.

id say Sakurai agrees based on the majority of dlc characters over smash lifetime have been complex in nature.
But the good old days had gimmicks too. The gimmicks aren't even guaranteed win buttons either as most characters are balanced around their gimmicks and some have gimmicks that outright hurt them. This isn't even me dissing Banjo yet pointing out his extremely limited recovery is indeed a gimmick is apparantly setting people off despite how Sakurai could have thought "How about I DON'T add a gimmick?"

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
When I said "gimmick" I really meant that I was just happy that Banjo doesn't have to do something trash like run around the stage and collect feathers/eggs for ammo or some crap.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Are you for real, Smash fans deluded themselves into thinking 'gimmick' inherently means bad? I don't like how Banjo plays but that's because he doesn't click well with me lmao
It has nothing to do with Smash. Think about it this way: since when has the word "gimmicky" ever had a positive connotation?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It has nothing to do with Smash. Think about it this way: since when has the word "gimmicky" ever had a positive connotation?
I mean, the Sonic Unleashed ps2 manual called ramps and **** gimmicks and that's the earliest time I remember hearing the word gimmick, I've seen people say some Smash characters have fun gimmicks while still calling them gimmicks

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Are we seriously arguing that Gimmick is derogatory? It's not. It's just a word used to describe a unusual feature.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Screw any deconfirmation rules, I think after the pass anyone is fair play. I'm hopping back on my Isaac train, people can choose to disagree with me but I really do think Assist Trophy and Spirit upgrades are 100% going to be possible.

I unironically think Waluigi is extremely likely and I will hope for my golden boy.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Are we seriously arguing that Gimmick is derogatory? It's not. It's just a word used to describe a unusual feature.
Yeah, I know that this thread is all about speculation, but it's kind of blowing my mind how many people on here get so hung up over semantics. Same thing with trying to figure out what Sakurai's "different worlds" mistranslation means. He was being candid, a throwaway sentence like that doesn't confirm or deconfirm anything. Let's move on, huh?

It was probably fake. Like every other leak.

Too bad too, that's something I would have wanted.
Speaking of, I know that some leakers have legitimate inside sources, but man, this Direct really solidified my stance on 99% of leakers: they're just lucky. Two or three are trustworthy to an extent, but we gotta stop giving attention to every rando on 4chan who managed to squeeze in a lucky guess. Just my two cents.

Screw any deconfirmation rules, I think after the pass anyone is fair play. I'm hopping back on my Isaac train, people can choose to disagree with me but I really do think Assist Trophy and Spirit upgrades are 100% going to be possible.

I unironically think Waluigi is extremely likely and I will hope for my golden boy.
I'm rooting for you Isaac fans! You've been waiting long enough haha. But you know what really bothers me? I legitimately fear that Waluigi will be our last DLC fighter. Not because he legitimately has a passionate fanbase like Geno, Isaac, Dixie Kong, Sora, Doomguy, etc, but simply because of the power of memes.

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I'm rooting for you Isaac fans, but you know what really bothers me? I legitimately fear that Waluigi will be our last DLC fighter. Not because he legitimately has a passionate fanbase like Geno, Isaac, Dixie Kong, Sora, Doomguy, etc, but simply because of the power of memes.
Mhm, it is possible but he does have a passionate fanbase too and plus he would break the fanrule for good anyway.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

:( It did sadly remember what Sakurai said home run contest is the last mode they are adding so we’re stuck with the final level In world of light

To make it worse that means all forms of break the target was removed all together *facepalm*

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
:( It did sadly remember what Sakurai said home run contest is the last mode they are adding so we’re stuck with the final level In world of light
I'm pretty sure the translator said it's "probably" the last mode they'll add, actually! I mean, the odds have gone down significantly but Sakurai is a madman who never sleeps, so you never know.

Someone tell me that everything's gonna be alright
I gotchu.

Last edited:

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
So using the Roster Maker I put in perspective our actual roster vs what we could get tell me what others possibilities I might've missed.

Actual Roster vs Possible DLC.png

Those DLC I put are more an image of what people wants and not the reflection of what I want. If Ezio Auditore for Ubisoft isn't there it's because I think Rayman still is the mascot Icon of Ubisoft.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Honestly if they did Waluigi right he could be fun. Have him be the sports party and kart rep. Like he has his tennis racket for the smash, maybe can use different types of shells for his down b like mario kart, side b maybe has something from mario party, like.maybe he throws a big dice and when it hits a foe a random number appears doing a different effect or forcing the people to move a certain distance or something. Just make him very different and unique.

Call me when THEY'RE all in...
View attachment 237003
Of those, i think Ryu and Kunio have the best bets. But who is that purple girl, pulling a blank

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So using the Roster Maker I put in perspective our actual roster vs what we could get tell me what others possibilities I might've missed.
View attachment 237004

Those DLC I put are more an image of what people wants and not the reflection of what I want. If Ezio Auditore for Ubisoft isn't there it's because I think Rayman still is the mascot Icon of Ubisoft.
I mean, it's hard to say what people want. Terry was seen as left of field as people very rarely talked about the idea of him in Smash and lots of people infamously got upset at the leak due to nobody wanting Terry yet the diehard Nintendo fans who went to Nintendo NY to watch the Direct instead of at home where chanting Terry's name out of hype before we saw it was actually him

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Honestly if they did Waluigi right he could be fun. Have him be the sports party and kart rep. Like he has his tennis racket for the smash, maybe can use different types of shells for his down b like mario kart, side b maybe has something from mario party, like.maybe he throws a big dice and when it hits a foe a random number appears doing a different effect or forcing the people to move a certain distance or something. Just make him very different and unique.
Waluigi as a Snake echo/semi-clone

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Well... I hope it turns out well for y'all.

I support him but I'm not quite sure on his chances

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Tbh I still think ATs are the hardest deconfirms, and DLC costumes generally don’t bode well but Spirits are definitely Free Real Estate(TM). So I don’t think we’ll see Rex, Sans, Waluigi, Isaac, Ashley, Lyn, Skull Kid, Spring Man Yuri Kozukata why does everyone forget her ;-; as playable.

Elma, Bandana Dee, Octolings, Medusa, Mecha-Fiora (who would in fact be the second instance of Final Smash and Playable Character at the same time too), Black Shadow, Pauline (despite being a Stage Element), Ninten, Dixie Kong, Shantae, Rayman, Geno, Chorus Kids etc are all fair game though. Maybe a few third parties like Dovahkiin, Doom Slayer, new Bandai Namco character, Phoenix Wright... but not as much third parties as the pass overall.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tbh I still think ATs are the hardest deconfirms, and DLC costumes generally don’t bode well but Spirits are definitely Free Real Estate(TM).
Just like what people were saying about spirits in the Fighter Pass, ATs becoming their own playable fighter is a "See it to believe it" situation. There aren't any indications that prove Waluigi or Isaac might be playable in Smash, so the only definitive answer to if ATs can become playable characters is if it actually does happen. I'll say the same for Mii Costumes and spirits after the Fighter Pass for now since we don't have any clear info on what'll happen after FP5 yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm color blind, so I'm not sure which one that is, but I assume you mean Simea from Crystalis.

This guy.
Ah never heard of that game.

Tbh I still think ATs are the hardest deconfirms, and DLC costumes generally don’t bode well but Spirits are definitely Free Real Estate(TM). So I don’t think we’ll see Rex, Sans, Waluigi, Isaac, Ashley, Lyn, Skull Kid, Spring Man Yuri Kozukata why does everyone forget her ;-; as playable.

Elma, Bandana Dee, Octolings, Medusa, Mecha-Fiora (who would in fact be the second instance of Final Smash and Playable Character at the same time too), Black Shadow, Pauline (despite being a Stage Element), Ninten, Dixie Kong, Shantae, Rayman, Geno, Chorus Kids etc are all fair game though. Maybe a few third parties like Dovahkiin, Doom Slayer, new Bandai Namco character, Phoenix Wright... but not as much third parties as the pass overall.
I agree AT are still deconfirmed, as with MOST mii fighter costumes. I think Rex is the exception because of Sakurais words when he showed off the costume, he seemed genuinely upset that they were too late to get in.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
I mean, it's hard to say what people want. Terry was seen as left of field as people very rarely talked about the idea of him in Smash and lots of people infamously got upset at the leak due to nobody wanting Terry yet the diehard Nintendo fans who went to Nintendo NY to watch the Direct instead of at home where chanting Terry's name out of hype before we saw it was actually him
I mostly made this after looking on internet these past 24 hours it's the characters that are speculated the most.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I mostly made this after looking on internet these past 24 hours it's the characters that are speculated the most.
I mean, yeah, Terry was speculated a lot in the last 24 hours but it took a literal leak for people to talk about him. Yet he was met with cheer, showing that people weren't just familiar but outright liked Terry

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Anyways, I'm going in on Dixie and Bandana Waddle Dee being our first First Party inclusions if there are any after the Pass.

Maybe someone like Toadette to rep the Toad support given her popularity lately, but it's not as likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom