• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If Sakurai's statement of "Trying to please as many fans" is anything to go by and what he's been capable of pulling off so far given 10 years ago it would had never been thought we'd ever see Banjo in Smash.

I can say Sora is a big possibility.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I'm still not so convinced Sora is going to be a high possibility, if even in the running. Squeenix already has several reps now. Sora is also in a weird grey area with Disney. They'll be stubborn to accept crossing Sora over and likely would want more than Nintendo would be willing to give. I'd also imagine Nintendo would look for characters from other series at this point. The whole 'rpg character' category is getting packed, which was why I was partially surprised to Terry getting included (despite the history Terry represents for the SNK company as a whole). I have a feeling the next bunch of characters will try to expand away from the current trend of RPG/Fighters and (minus Banjo and Plant). But I could be wrong. We could see more RPG characters.

I just highly doubt Sora is in the running. Cuz again...Disney.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Well, if you want to get super technically, that's still correct since Terry's first appearance was in 'Fatal Fury: King of Fighters'. Naturally they would go with the original series the character was from rather than the one they have more appearances in, such as if Cody or Guy got in, they'd put 'x Final Fight' rather than 'X Street Fighter' even though they are officially Street Fighter characters as well.

It also helps my argument that 'King of Fighters', as a series, was meant to be like the SNK equivolent of Super Smash Bros. before Super Smash Bros. was even a thing, meant to be a Dream Match game crossing over Fatal Fury, The Art of Fighting, Ikari Warriors, and, oddly, Psycho Soldier, with a handful of new characters to make it a bit more interesting. It also helps that the title of the game and the primary tournament that entire series is named after originated from Fatal Fury, which, as I said above, even had 'King of Fighters' as its original English subtitle.

All I'm saying is that Terry is a King of Fighters character, he was never considered to be a guest character in King of Fighters since the entire game concept itself was based around being a crossover between various SNK series and his game was used as the primary motivator (the tournament).

Although continuity is..really weird..between Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, and King of Fighters..Fatal Fury 1 & 2 are canon in King of Fighters, but the remaining 3 games are not, while Art of Fighting is non-canon to KoF due to SNK not wanting to age up the characters (since Art of Fighting was set in the late 70s).
Most of Terry's appearances now though draw more heavily from King of Fighters than Fatal Fury, however.

Debating on Terry representing the Fatal Fury or King of Fighters series, however, is kinda pointless since whether or not he is a King of Fighters character depends on the criteria used. For me, for example, I see him as representing both since he originated in one and is too important to the other to be considered merely a 'guest'

Well, I mean, Sora would be a Disney Rep, not a Square-Enix Rep, so we could actually get both characters in the game.

Yeah, I forgot that for a moment..its been a long, long time since I played Fatal Fury..I've mostly played the King of Fighters games.
I appreciate you putting in more energy than I could ever with your response, but Terry's a Fatal Fury character first before a KoF character, though him being a KoF character is a very close second.

Like I said, it even says "Smash Ultimate x Fatal Fury" in the trailer, no KoF.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
As much as I want Rex and Pyra, I am honestly in the camp that believes Spirits are a deconfirmation.
I believe it does for the Fighter Pass, but maybe not for future DLC.

With the Fighter Pass, it seems like they had an idea of who’d be in it for a while before the game’s launch. So it didn’t make sense to have those characters in the game at all if they were just going to be playable shortly after.

With this next DLC, they might cater to some fan demands even if the character is already a spirit.

I think the DLC will continue to largely be new series but I think Rex & Geno could end up getting upgrades from spirit to Fighter. I also think an Arms character is likely as well.

Maybe. Banjo and Kazooie already looked close to done by their reveal, nevermind Hero. And Terry is looking like his development is running really smoothly, especially since the footage could even date back a few weeks ago, depending on the interval between Sakurai's recording and Terry's gameplay recording..

Considering Terry drops in November and that they already announced that there will be more DLC, I think we could get something similar to the treatment Cloud got in 4:
  • Terry gets his gameplay video in November. At the end, we get an announcement for a special Smash Direct, possibly at the beginning of 2020.
  • At that Direct, we get the fifth Pass character's trailer and gameplay, maybe a release date.
  • The Smash Direct ends with the reveal of the first post-Pass character and an explanation of how post-Pass content will work.
I don’t think they want another Joker scenario where we’re left not knowing the next character for months. I bet Character 5 is announced alongside the Terry showcase. Maybe Character 6 is at the VGAs, depending on who it is.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
This game feels like Sakurai’s swan song even more now with all the DLC. I don’t know how he tops it. I wonder if he’ll just keep making characters for a few years then leave the Smash series to Nintendo. Go out on a massively high note.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If Sakurai's statement of "Trying to please as many fans" is anything to go by and what he's been capable of pulling off so far given 10 years ago it would had never been thought we'd ever see Banjo in Smash.

I can say Sora is a big possibility.
I got a good feeling that Sora has an actual shot at smash bros. As far as I know Sakurai never really shot down the idea like he would with something like Spongebob or Goku and that comment about pleasing the fans just gives me that vibe even more, from what I can tell Sora is easily one of the most if not THE most requested character who isn't in Smash yet.

I'm fine with being proven wrong I just have some actual hope going into this set of DLC fighters. lol

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'm still not so convinced Sora is going to be a high possibility, if even in the running. Squeenix already has several reps now. Sora is also in a weird grey area with Disney. They'll be stubborn to accept crossing Sora over and likely would want more than Nintendo would be willing to give. I'd also imagine Nintendo would look for characters from other series at this point. The whole 'rpg character' category is getting packed, which was why I was partially surprised to Terry getting included (despite the history Terry represents for the SNK company as a whole). I have a feeling the next bunch of characters will try to expand away from the current trend of RPG/Fighters and (minus Banjo and Plant). But I could be wrong. We could see more RPG characters.

I just highly doubt Sora is in the running. Cuz again...Disney.
Well, I'll try to give my very weird "two cents" on why we keep usually getting "RPG" characters and why people very much underestimate why RPG and Fighters characters are a big deal, or why Sakurai himself see them as a Big Deal/Get more of them in, perhaps even unconsciously, or maybe even very well aware of this and their impact on Gaming.
RPG and Fighters are in another league compared of others video game genre for a special reasons, those are games where you create a deep link and sentimental attach to characters.
Not to say, that others genre doesn't do that! No! NO! Far from me! Everyone have a link to Characters of all type of genre but...
But RPG and Fighting games does this, a step, no, A LEAGUE beyond the others genres, allow me to explain.

When you play a fightning game, besides smash (for the reasons that usually, you already know the characters from their own game), the first thing that pop in front of you, is the character select screen, for a lot of people, this is where the first "link" to a character can be created, from here, you will probably directly take the "coolest" or character you think look the best in that screen, without knowing it, you already grew an attach to this character, and you will spend time with this character, maybe switch to another that fit your playstyle, but, you'll end up working with that character, that will basically become your partner, in victory, defeat, salt, and questioning, you will try your best to break your own limit with that character and have fun/Be the best and win... and unlike an RPG or Platformer and such, without realizing it, the others characters that you didn't pick, also create a link with you, because they're not just random mob/enemies, they for some becomes your rival, the character you hate fighting, the character you enjoy fighting, the character that makes you feel another emotion...Etc...Etc...
In the end, without realizing it, you get a strong attachement to each characters in the roster, a way or another, which is why, even though Fighting game characters sometimes have a "generic look" or "basic troope" to them, everyone will feel different about them, because of their own experience with the game, which is one of the strength of fighting Game characters, that people who never played their game can't understand usually.

Now for RPG characters, it's almost the same, but there still more reasons, at times, you get to name the protagonist, because the protagonist becomes a "Reflection" of the player (which is unironically why Robin from Fire Emblem is called "Reflet" in japanese, the French word for Reflection), you will usually end up making choice in the game, from the perspective of said characters, becoming him fully, Cloud can be renamed in FFVII, Joker can be Renamed, Corrin and Robin too, same goes for the Heroes of Dragon Quests! And one others things that usually explain why people might asks, or WHY we might get MORE RPG characters, is the time... You won't...Just spend an hour or two, or ten hours with the Main character of an RPG, or just any characters of an RPG, no, you will spend tons of hours, hundred, thousand even, that character will live throught an adventure and stories that will last for god knows how long at times, with side-quests, lore, and stuff making you and this character feel like being part in that world. We complain about Fire Emblem characters, but the reasons why Sakurai probably put thoses characters in "a special places" is because, if you play these games, you will spends tons of hours with theses lords, protecting your units, cherishing them and such.
Whenever it's Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, Tales of, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, whenever you end up "hating" on the protagonists, you will unconsciously have a link with them, with all of the time you end up spending with them, at times loosing against a boss in a RPG is very often more crushing than loosing a life in a platformer or Dying in an FPS because you spend so much time working and trying to beat that boss with the characters and skills you equiped and honed. Heck, take Geno or Isaac for exemples, I'm very much sure that the fanbase their got in smash, is also thanks to the fact that their games are RPG, and that, players ended up having such a strong and passionate links with them that will make sure their voices reach a way or another, because of all thoses hours and work they ended up having with thoses characters

It's probably why, and weirdly why, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai end up adding someone like Sora, Llyod, Yuri, Geno or a character from Mortal Kombat, or more Fighting Games property... While every characters have their fans, their own links to their players...I'm very much...Confident that, he probably himself know that RPG or Fighting game characters are a big deal.

Not because they're from "RPG" or "Fightning Games", but because maybe, perhaps, he knows that those kind of characters resonate deeply with a numbers of people, not because they're just popular, but because THEY ARE popular by their own Merits and winning over the hearts of their players. Because I feel that, they have that special link...That others genre don't have, weirdly.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Sora definitely has a shot. But will the Mickey ears still be on his key chain? And will Donald and Goofy show up in his final smash? Personally, it wouldn't feel right if they didn't but who knows how Nintendo/Disney and Sakurai would feel about that. Not that I think it hinders his chances.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sora definitely has a shot. But will the Mickey ears still be on his key chain? And will Donald and Goofy show up in his final smash? Personally, it wouldn't feel right if they didn't but who knows who Nintendo/Disney and Sakurai would feel about that. Not that I think it hinders his chances.
Could replace the Mickey logo with a Smash ball

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm always fond of the idea of giving him a keyblade designed to look like he got it IN smash. Since he gets Keyblades in different worlds he travels in, this would be a cute reference in itself to his home series and we all know how Sakurai likes to do that sort of thing.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I'd advise not to harass people for a video game character for a video game.
I am sure Sakurai is fully aware of Sora's popularity. It's up to him and Nintendo to approach Disney.

As for trying to figure out the amount of fighters left with the CSS- do not do that.
There are four different versions of the CSS in the game for starters - the unstacked one with everyone, the stacked one with everyone, the unstacked one without Miis, and the stacked one without Miis.

They will also try to maximize their additions while they can. How the CSS looks won't determine business.
Not trying to encourage harassment towards anyone. In order for any character to appear in Smash both parties have to want it. I've no doubt that Sakurai is aware of Sora's popularity, but Disney has always been a wildcard. We have some info regarding Disney of Japan being willing to cooperate, but they're only a small part of the equation along with Nomura. It never hurts to politely ask, and most businesses are happy to at least hear requests.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
What Sora do ya'll think will hypothetically get in? Young KH 1 Sora, KH2 (aka the best version of) Sora, or old KH3 Sora?

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I 99% feel that with how Sakurai is pointy on details, and how Iconic the Kingdom Key is, if Sora gets in, it will be with the Mikey Keychain and original Look.

What Sora do ya'll think will hypothetically get in? Young KH 1 Sora, KH2 (aka the best version of) Sora, or old KH3 Sora?
Either he go KH I because it's the most used in all of his appearance.

Or he goes KH II and we get colors alt of Fusion Brave, Valor, Master, Final, Limit (which have KH I color scheme) , Anti-Sora and perhaps a bonus KH III Alt as the 8th one

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I 99% feel that with how Sakurai is pointy on details, and how Iconic the Kingdom Key is, if Sora gets in, it will be with the Mikey Keychain and original Look.
That would be so wild. Seeing Disney's name show up on Smash. Though I suppose Nintendo did just work with them with MUA3...unless I'm mistaken and that had nothing to do with Disney.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I would think he would give him his KH2 look as a base and have his KH3 look as an alt skin.

Maybe give him limit form as another alt to represent his KH1 look as that design is a powered up version of the original look
Limit_Form.png

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I think they would likely go with his KH3 and KH2 appearances. Maybe throw Limit Form colors in as an alt for his KH2 look as well.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
That would be so wild. Seeing Disney's name show up on Smash. Though I suppose Nintendo did just work with them with MUA3...unless I'm mistaken and that had nothing to do with Disney.
It 100% had to do with Disney who manage all of their Gaming Division with an Iron Hand. Why the hell they gave Star Wars Game IP to EA is beyong my mind
So yes, anytime a Star Wars/Marvel/KH/Or whatever Disney get in a Video Game. Disney is involved

StormC

Smash Hero
I dunno, to me, KH1 Sora is the most iconic look and the original. I feel like he would be the default with others as alt costumes.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Though I suppose Nintendo did just work with them with MUA3...unless I'm mistaken and that had nothing to do with Disney.
In addition to Nekoo's point, dealing with Sora might be a bit trickier. Nintendo managing to get UA3 primarily concerned Marvel's own homegrown IPs, whereas Sora is literally interacting with many cartoon and film characters that are Disney properties first and foremost; hence the obvious worry we all have with regards to getting Disney characters like Donald and Goofy in Smash, even as background elements for Sora.

I wouldn't mind getting Sora in here, but Disney's presence is the x-factor here.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
In addition to Nekoo's point, dealing with Sora might be a bit trickier. Nintendo managing to get UA3 primarily concerned Marvel's own homegrown IPs, whereas Sora is literally interacting with many cartoon and film characters that are Disney properties first and foremost; hence the obvious worry we all have with regards to getting Disney characters like Donald and Goofy in Smash, even as background elements for Sora.

I wouldn't mind getting Sora in here, but Disney's presence is the x-factor here.
To be fair most of Kingdom hearts's main cast consists of original characters, sure it would be odd not to have Mickey, Donald and Goofy but it wouldn't be the first they've excluded certain elements when dealing with third parties.

M@R!3

Smash Ace

Characters like Donald, Goofy, etc... would all be different properties from Kingdom Hearts itself. Given that Disney had pretty strict guidelines regarding their content in KH3 I can't see them demanding that characters beyond the ones original to KH appear.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

To be very fair.
Sora's gameplay is NEVER linked to Donald and Goofy, besides Limits, and actually have more games and Important fights where he's alone than with them. He can very much so be his own character and Gameplay, as other KH OC property can join in as spirits and such, while still fully representing kingdom hearts all by himself.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
There was a problem fetching the tweet
So, now, it looks like that Milk-bosatu said that the female character would be the last fighter in the fighters pass.
So, Milk-bosatu is still not dead.
Milk Bosatu is dead. It's a leak that makes absolutely no sense when you take it all in. We have no reason to believe that Characters 4 and 5 had any work done at the time his source claimed to have seen this specific fighter (Which was around Nov/Dec 2018). The only possible explanation that exists is Joker's scrapped "Jane" alt (Likely to have been Kasumi) and if it is, it's absolutely worthless to use in speculation.

Bloxicon

Smash Rookie
Are we never going to talk about the possibility of Toontown Online being in Smash Bros?

I mean, Disney's going to need some way to renew that IP if they ever want to keep copyright ownership of it. Plus, a Toon fighter would be pretty awesome.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
How the hell does it do that if you can vote as much as you want?
It probably doesn't. The sample size is bound to be way too small anyway. It's a fun would you rather game though.

Are we never going to talk about the possibility of Toontown Online being in Smash Bros?

I mean, Disney's going to need some way to renew that IP if they ever want to keep copyright ownership of it. Plus, a Toon fighter would be pretty awesome.
I loved Toontown as a kid but the game's dead (officially at least. There are unnofficial servers that are run by fans.) and it's probably going to stay that way till the end of time.

Green Donuts

Smash Rookie
NNID
starman1289
3DS FC
5172-5463-4876
After what Sakurai said in the direct, Sora is seeming like the prime candidate for being in smash. Never really thought he had a chance until now.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Listen, I understand we're riding the high of "wow, anything's possible now!"...

but I can safely tell you right here right now, that we are most definitely not getting Toon-Town.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
To be very fair.
Sora's gameplay is NEVER linked to Donald and Goofy, besides Limits, and actually have more games and Important fights where he's alone than with them. He can very much so be his own character and Gameplay, as other KH OC property can join in as spirits and such, while still fully representing kingdom hearts all by himself.
Yeah, there’s definitely enough KH original stuff to make Sora feel complete. I’d love if Donald/Goofy were in Sora’s Final Smash since I like their friendship with Sora more than Riku/Kairi’s (Riku & Mickey are fun together though!), but I don’t want the “Goku door” to be open lol

Spirit wise we could have: Riku, Kairi, Axel, Roxas, Xion, Terra, Aqua, Ventura, Xehanort & Xigbar

There’s so many amazing tracks that aren’t from Disney movies too; there’s definitely enough where the standard 10-12 tracks for DLC characters wouldn’t be enough. Though I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t love to play Smash while “This Is Halloween” or “You’ve Got a Friend In Me” plays lol

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I don't see how Sora is any more likely than any other character from a new franchise, based on what Sakurai said.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I don't see how Sora is any more likely than any other character from a new franchise, based on what Sakurai said.
He's more likely simply because he is one of the highest requested characters left (not including characters like Shantae and Geno who have spirits)

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Part of what makes me believe Sora can make it is that every third party character is someone from a company Nintendo has healthy relationships with, and they certainly do with Disney. They surprisingly have a really good working relationship with Disney, so it wouldn't really seem to weird for Disney to just let them use Sora.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Have you guys seen this?

Claim is fifth character of pack one is geno

The kicker banjo release date and sans costume correct guess’s

EDIT: nevermind someone treated this guy he forgot about that and he freaked out he got nearly everything right so that means lucky guess’s nice guess’s mate

Ignore this

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Have you guys seen this?

Claim is fifth character of pack one is geno

The kicker banjo release date and sans costume correct guess’s
Don't give ****posts attention.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
I got a good feeling that Sora has an actual shot at smash bros. As far as I know Sakurai never really shot down the idea like he would with something like Spongebob or Goku and that comment about pleasing the fans just gives me that vibe even more, from what I can tell Sora is easily one of the most if not THE most requested character who isn't in Smash yet.

I'm fine with being proven wrong I just have some actual hope going into this set of DLC fighters. lol
You just know Sora is hella requested for Smash when even I, someone who doesn't usually care for male characters and has been very vocal about that here, would like to see Sora in Smash.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
You just know Sora is hella requested for Smash when even I, someone who doesn't usually care for male characters and has been very vocal about that here, would like to see Sora in Smash.
Now that there will be more fighters passes, Sora now has a high chance of being playable. And I want Sora.

Here's why I only want Highly iconic 3rd party playable characters such as Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, Ryu, Simon, etc.
I've already mentioned dozens of times that I don't like having 3rd party characters who aren't significantly iconic as playable characters because it's not necessary. And it can risk cluttering the roster with unnecessary mediocre additions. And I just mentioned that we're already a few steps towards it.
3rd party characters who aren't highly iconic, regardless of how iconic they are, don't do better than an assist trophy in my opinion, such as Shovel Knight, Yuri, and Shantae.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom