• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Gonna make an extreme early prediction.
#5 - Doomguy

Pass 2 (in no order).
#1 - Crash Bandicoot
#2 - Ryu Hayabusa
#3 - Lloyd Irving
#4 - Ezio Whatever
#5 - Professor Layton
#5 - Doomguy

Pass 2
#1 - Crash Bandicoot
#2 - Ryu Hayabusa
#3 - Agumon
#4 - Scorpion/Sub-Zero
#5 - Geno

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If it's a franchise that's already in Smash, then it wouldn't be a new world getting added to Smash.
Not necessarily. Long running series tend to have entirely new locations like the book Paper Mario resides in, the settings of the Mega Man Battle Network, Legends, and Starforce series, Aytolis from Fire Emblem Warriors, and wherever the heck Hyrule Warriors takes place.

EDIT: And this is assuming that we're not counting distinct areas that aren't apart of a larger world. Also, every game in the Xenoblade Chronicles series takes place in a completely different setting. (Don't tell me I'm incorrect in the case of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 because that's not something I want spoiled for me.)

Last edited:

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
Gonna make an extreme early prediction.
#5 - Doomguy

Pass 2 (in no order).
#1 - Crash Bandicoot
#2 - Ryu Hayabusa
#3 - Lloyd Irving
#4 - Ezio Whatever
#5 - Professor Layton

Here's mine!

#5 - Doom Slayer

Pass 2:
#1 - Crash Bandicoot/Tracer
#2 - Steve?
#3 - Ezio
#4 - Arle Nadja
#5 - Monster Hunter/Leon/Jill/Phoenix Wright

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So... do you think adding the Mega Man costumes back now indicates Character 5 isn't from Capcom, or do you think it's arbitrary?

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I can’t believe it is not my dream match!

1567651154222.jpeg

Team Rocket and Meowth for Smash!

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So... do you think adding the Mega Man costumes back now indicates Character 5 isn't from Capcom, or do you think it's arbitrary?
We don't have enough information. We could either not be getting a Capcom character and there was no better place to add them, or we could be getting a ton of new Capcom costumes to go with the character so they had to throw in the older ones now.

EDIT: Or it's arbitrary. *shrugs*

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So I guess the Terry/Hayabusa leak is fake then? Cause that one said Terry’s trailer would be a sequel to Kencineroar’s and well, it wasn’t
It never really made sense to begin with (for Hayabusa that is I'm not sure about Terry). That little retrospective they did in the beginning of his trailer does at least introduce people to who he is and what SNK is.
A Capcom rep could probably still happen, but it might just means we aren't getting any sort of retro character from them (rip Arthur?).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
#5 - Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]

Pass 2:
#1 - Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
#2 - Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
#3 - Kunio/Riki [River City Ransom]
#4 - Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
#5 - Nathan Spencer [Bionic Commando]

Don't know if anybody caught this, but Saks specifically mentioned "pleasing the fans" when he talked about the future DLC.
He was talking about me specifically.

I think it means you aren't getting Protoman or Zero.

Which means a Bass echo is still on the table!

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that it's possible that some of the future DLC characters would be first party.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I think that it's possible that some of the future DLC characters would be first party.
I would agree however Sakurai did say he was trying to add as much new as he could to smash, I think if we get another pass it will be more mixed.

SKX31

Smash Master
Okay, so a couple thoughts:

Sakurai told us that Banjo's presentation was filmed 2 days after Hero's. This does imply a couple things.

The Fighter Pass as a whole is more or less 60 % complete as of one month ago. Sakurai and co. managed to build Spiral Mountain as a fully 3D stage alongside Banjo. And Sakurai didn't seem particularily worried about the workload. There's also that small snippet of Terry. No, I don't think he's even close to ready, but the snippet implies that they've already done a lot of Terry's development.

Also, there's the "DLC after the Fighter Pass". One important takeaway is that Sakurai, Nintendo and Bamco agreed to extending Ultimate's DLC life with seven months to go on the Fighter Pass. One can read that in multiple ways, sure, but they're not rushing to any concrete decision. For all we know we could get 3 additional characters, we could get 10 (16 WoL slots - 6 of which are Plant + Fighter Pass). Whether there's a Fighter Pass 2 or not we'll know by Feb. 2020 or maybe even later.

We don't know if Nintendo will themselves reserve one or a couple of the extra slots (I agree with RileyXY1 RileyXY1 on this point. It's possible). Buuut, I wouldn't be surprised if there were so many interested third parties that Nintendo and Sakurai gave more chances via this extension.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Plus, the next wave might not have the same "we started these 2 years ago" limitations. So you might see, for example, an ARMS character.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Okay, so a couple thoughts:

Sakurai told us that Banjo's presentation was filmed 2 days after Hero's. This does imply a couple things.

The Fighter Pass as a whole is more or less 60 % complete as of one month ago. Sakurai and co. managed to build Spiral Mountain as a fully 3D stage alongside Banjo. And Sakurai didn't seem particularily worried about the workload. There's also that small snippet of Terry. No, I don't think he's even close to ready, but the snippet implies that they've already done a lot of Terry's development.

Also, there's the "DLC after the Fighter Pass". One important takeaway is that Sakurai, Nintendo and Bamco agreed to extending Ultimate's DLC life with seven months to go on the Fighter Pass. One can read that in multiple ways, sure, but they're not rushing to any concrete decision. For all we know we could get 3 additional characters, we could get 10 (16 WoL slots - 6 of which are Plant + Fighter Pass). Whether there's a Fighter Pass 2 or not we'll know by Feb. 2020 or maybe even later.

We don't know if Nintendo will themselves reserve one or a couple of the extra slots (I agree with RileyXY1 RileyXY1 on this point. It's possible). Buuut, I wouldn't be surprised if there were so many interested third parties that Nintendo and Sakurai gave more chances via this extension.
Nintendo is probably making $$$ off the pass, third parties are begging to get in (who wouldn't want their character in Smash?), and this is bringing Nintendo a lot of good publicity.

Also, despite my negativity yesterday, one item that is giving me hope is that perhaps Banjo was a test for Sakurai on how to interact with non-Japanese companies and since it went well, he might be more open to that for future DLC.

Overall this game is great. Thanks Sakurai (even without Fighter pass it is great). Only let down was no more new modes :(. I think they should have made a paid DLC expansion to the Adventure Mode or a Boss mode.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Not sure if this was brought up but in regards to the whole “more characters planned”, I noticed he didn’t tmention it These will be full on characters or Echoes. It would also be rather jarring to have a Smash 4-sequel DLC period rather than the more structured Ultimate DLC period.

I hope it’s as structured and doesn’t sputter out like some games do. I don’t think this will happen with Smash. I do hope that “more characters” means “second Fighter Pass like how the first was”

zferolie

Smash Hero

And with that Companion Theory is offically dead as well. Thats 2 theories gone in 1 direct, Mii costume theory and Companion Theory

I don't think FP5 will be a capcom fighter, as we got some capcom fighters here. It could be Ryu if Shifty is to be beleived, and it could fit well. Any new posts from Milk Bostasu? they seemed to be set on that female fighter, perhaps this wasn't for FP4 if they were telling the truth.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I can't believe they added Ness to Smash.

All joking aside, I figured from the start they'd be doing fighters in seasons. This is what SF5 and Tekken 7 have been doing so it makes sense for Smash to start doing it as well. I'm betting on Crash and Spyro as the first reveals of Season 2.

I will say that I did predict Terry's stage was going to be boring. I wish they went with Metal Slug because then we could've had an insane boss parade stage instead of just a reskinned Fire Emblem coliseum.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
So here's hoping for Ryu Hayabusa, Rash, Scorpion, Doom Slayer, Morrigan, Earthworm Jim, Heihachi Mishima, Crono, Rayman, Nightmare, Lloyd Irving, Geno, Jill Valentine and/or Leon Kennedy, Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft, Sarah Kerrigan, Gordon Freeman, Heavy, Agumon, Conker, Dante, Phoenix Wright, Master Chief, Sora, Amaterasu, Kiryu Kazama, Ezio, and Tracer!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And with that Companion Theory is offically dead as well. Thats 2 theories gone in 1 direct, Mii costume theory and Companion Theory

I don't think FP5 will be a capcom fighter, as we got some capcom fighters here. It could be Ryu if Shifty is to be beleived, and it could fit well. Any new posts from Milk Bostasu? they seemed to be set on that female fighter, perhaps this wasn't for FP4 if they were telling the truth.
Meanwhile, Color Theory is still alive oh boy.

1567654942473.png

What could the next color be? Maybe not these 1s, but green (not counting Piranha Plant since he's not in the pass), purple (unless Hero's isn't pink), and orange seem rather possible.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Here's mine!

#5 - Doom Slayer

Pass 2:
#1 - Crash Bandicoot/Tracer
#2 - Steve?
#3 - Ezio
#4 - Arle Nadja
#5 - Monster Hunter/Leon/Jill/Phoenix Wright
Okay, just because I'm still riding a high from that insane Direct...

#5: ...Honestly, it could be anyone. It could be Ryu, sure, but I could also see, like...Rayman or The Prince from Prince of Persia getting in at the last second, giving us an Ubisoft rep. Maybe it will be Doomguy, finally giving every major genre of video game a representative in Smash? Honestly, between Shovel Knight making it in as an AT and tonight's reveal of Sans as a costume, I really think that Sakurai's been slowly warming us up for our first genuine indie character. Who that will be, I mean...I don't play many indie games, so I have no clue, but here are my three best (if not obvious) guesses:

- Shantae (her new game is coming out in December, so that would be a fun push, and I really don't think Spirits deconfirm)
- Steve (I know, I know, but he's practically the posterboy for successful indie games)
- Quote (he's got a great look, and we know that Nintendo fans love his game)

Again, Nintendo has been the go-to place for indie games in terms of home consoles, so I really think Nintendo would want to give one of those games a time to shine. I'm probably dead wrong, but I'm just as in the dark as everyone else in the community right now haha so whatever.

Onto the Completely Hypothetical Second Fighter's Pass!

#1 - Geno: If Sakurai wants to put an emphasis on wish fulfillment with this next Fighter's Pass, I think he would give fans Geno right out the gate. The odds of him getting in grow bigger and bigger with every Mii Costume pack revealed, and considering Sakurai said he was all about satisfying as many fans as possible, I think Geno's gotta be a shoe-in by now.

#2 - Someone From Xenoblade 2: Call me crazy, but as long as we're blindly speculating with zero evidence whatsoever, I think Sakurai might use this hypothetical second Fighter's Pass as a way to fill in some of the first-party gaps in the roster. I know a lot of people were clamoring for Rex/Pyra, and I think their playstyle would be unique enough to pique Sakurai's interest (but I have no clue, I've never played Xenoblade 2, so...)

#3 - The Prince (Katamari Damacy): Considering Namco is developing the game and we still only have one rep from them, I think it's high time they get another. The Prince would be an awesome wildcard pick, and again, I think making a fighter whose moveset revolves around rolling a ball around would be right up Sakurai's alley. I don't know how big the game is now, but if K. Rool and Banjo proved anything, it's that Sakurai isn't exactly looking for relevancy when choosing his roster.

#4 - Amaterasu: Am I willing to bet on a fourth Capcom rep in this game? Have I gone mad?! Out of all the other Capcom franchises I could see Sakurai wanting to work with, it would be Okami. She would be only our second quadrupedal fighter, and I think making a moveset out of her many weapons and her painting mechanic would be super cool. Plus, I think she would fit into the Smash roster much easier than someone like Leon Kennedy or even Phoenix Wright.

#5 - Disappointment: Look, no matter who the final DLC character is, the community is 9-times-outta-10 gonna hate them because they won't be the character they wanted, so I'll just treat this like the blank space on a Bingo card.

SPECULATION!!!

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
So with Sans coming with music from Undertale I'm starting to think that the Geno costume is going to return with some SMRPG music. Maybe another Square character will come out with Geno as a costume *Cough* Sora *Cough*

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Not gonna make a prediction, but a Season 2 wishlist.

1. Crash
2. Spyro
3. Dr. Eggman
4. Earthworm Jim
5. Lip (Panel de Pon)

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
  • Falcom (they'd probably get Adol from Ys)
  • Arc System Works (toss up between Ragna from Blazblue, Sol from Guilty Gear, and maybe Hyde from UNIB)
  • Nippon Ichi (likely one of the Disgaea protags such as Laharl, Valvatorez, and Killia)
  • MARVELOUS!
Oooo, I like you.

Nihon Falcom is a pipe dream of mine. Aside from being one of the first JRPG devs still around, their music and games are fantastic. Adol has more history with Nintendo than the Kiseki (Trails) cast, but I'd be down for anybody. I'll even settle for a Mii costume or three, especially if it means getting songs.

I buy like... every ArcSys fighter I can get my hands on. Again, great music and they're also masters of their craft.

Nippon Ichi seems a little more out there, but you know what? We live in a world where we can have Lucas and Ness fight on a stage with an Earthbound Romhack song (Megalovania) playing in the background. We live in a world where we can reenact battles from Capcom vs. SNK in Smash. In short, I support.

One possible Marvelous rep is the Daemon X pilot.

Guys! I just got off work!
More DLC! More more more!
I'm so happy! I love you all!!:love::love::love:

Also, now I want Hehachi just out of OCD.
Smash would be a little more complete with Heihachi (or any Tekken rep, TBH). Let's make this THE fighting game.

Terry's trailer was a beautiful depiction of why SNK is so beloved - the characters! The personalities! The humor and hype! And Terry looks so beautiful! His best 3D look ever!!

Goemon! Sans!! And the fact that I really feel like my personal hype picks of 2B, Travis Touchdown, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, and Arle Nadja are on the table??

Sakurai, you are so good to me! Oh my god that trailer and sprite work were PERFECT.
The trailer was so bittersweet. It was beautiful yet funny and awesome and sad. I felt so many emotions. Classic SNK (complete with the look). The Geese part was probably my favorite. You felt for the characters that couldn't make it, but Terry held that invitation like a boss. He's in good hands with Smash; they're going to do him justice.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Holy **** what a Direct.

On the non-Smash, so many cool things. But on the Smash side? I mean, Banjo releasing today and Terry's reveal was obvious, but still great. After 10 years of wanting Banjo, having him be on my Switch, playable is just... Wow. Terry's trailer got me there, I was second guessing whether it was going to be him or Kyo. Me and my friends were super pumped.

And then the reveal of more fighters... I stood up and yelled and punched the air. Sakurai is just too much. I hope we can get some Ninty love this time.

I didn't watch the Banjo showcase live because I was watching movies with friends (What Women Want: great romcom!). Then I get texted by the resident memelord saying Sand Undertale (sic) is in Smash. Of course, I didn't believe him. Then another one texted how he'd rather have gotten an AT. I asked him if he was joking. A third one (not into videogames at all) said he didn't know what we were talking about but he'd Googled it and it was real. Holy ****. To be honest I think aside from an AT or a Boss this is the ideal representation for Undertale so I'm happy and might even buy that costume.

Finally, I'd just like to say Sakurai is genuinely a super swell guy with his jokes and him inviting Toby Fox to his place and his weird translations and his earnestness and I think we gamers should be thankful to have one of us making this game.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Well, my theory was debunked with Banjo..he was the first DLC character for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate that didn't have an alternate costume (yes, I'm counting half of :ultpiranha:'s being in a pot or a pipe as an alternate costume..)
That said, I'm still really hoping to see Terry have his Midnight Bliss female form as an alt..even if its entirely unlikely. They can easily censor her to fit just by lengthening the shorts or putting her in pants..like so.

As Maximilian Dood said in his reaction, its really kind of funny that Namco is making SNK vs Capcom happen before SNK or Capcom via Tekken 7 with Akuma & Geese and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate with Ryu, Ken, Mega Man, and Terry.
My boi Goemon is a Mii costume and I'm so happy right now guys. You can't believe what I'm feeling right now. :cry:
I'm very glad that was your reaction..I was thinking of you when I saw the Goemon costume..I was afraid you could have reacted like some who start crying about how they 'deserve better' or whatever..but I'm glad you see this as a positive thing, since it is, it means Sakurai sees his value, even if he couldn't make it on the roster.
Maybe, I don't know..remember, we haven't gotten ALL of the Capcom costumes back..from my own recollection, we still don't have the Monster Hunter costumes nor X & MegaManEXE.
I think that a portion of them will be, but I don't believe they all will be..3rd Parties draw more hype then 1st or Second parties.
However, we could also see some Echoes this time as well, such as Octolings.
Plus, the next wave might not have the same "we started these 2 years ago" limitations. So you might see, for example, an ARMS character.
Indeed, I would actually be surprised if Rex & Pyra didn't make it in this time since Rex was singled out last time.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Maybe, I don't know..remember, we haven't gotten ALL of the Capcom costumes back..from my own recollection, we still don't have the Monster Hunter costumes nor X & MegaManEXE.
We don't have all the Sega or Square costumes back either, nor do I think we'll end up with them all.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
We don't have all the Sega or Square costumes back either, nor do I think we'll end up with them all.
Yup, pretty much the case. I'll be surprised if we don't get the other Mega Man ones though considering that Capcom is pretty friendly with Nintendo...but that's about it.

D

Deleted member

I feel pretty confident we’ll get at least 1.

View attachment 236905

What could the next color be? Maybe not these 1s, but green (not counting Piranha Plant since he's not in the pass), purple (unless Hero's isn't pink), and orange seem rather possible.
Green. My money’s on Doomguy.

I’m also like 99% sure Geno is part of the next batch, he’s a personal wish of Sakurai himself so there’s no way he’s not getting in in this choice opportunity to be in the “ultimate game” as Sakurai put it.

Also, idk why you’re all calling it FP2 or Season 2, neither of which was stated nor implied, the implication I got was a few more extended additions to be sold individually. Which to me says between 2-4 more fighters.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

View attachment 236905

>Color Theory
>Blue represents Terry Bogard, a character who predominately wears Red and White, not Blue

I'm thinking Color Theory is fake too. Not that I ever took it seriously.

We all know Nihilist Theory is the only true theory.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
>Color Theory
>Blue represents Terry Bogard, a character who predominately wears Red and White, not Blue

I'm thinking Color Theory is fake too.
Yeah I was about to say that. Yeah his pants are blue but blue is not his motif.

Also, why mack the background green for doomguy? it would clash too much with his green making it hard to look at.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Thoughts:

1. The next Amiibo wave is on November 15th. There's no real precedent, but something to keep in mind.
2. Even after the Challengers Pack is over, there will still be an empty space on the Stage Select Screen.
3. It'll be interesting to see Hayabusa talk going forward, given the 4chan rumor having missed Terry's trailer & that IamShifty's circle seems to still be adamant, even after the SNK copyright stuff.
4. If Banjo was complete enough to show off a few weeks ago, assuming the Terry footage was pre-planned/added to the video later, is a good sign that development is moving quickly.
5. We still don't know the reason why Sakurai chose to add more DLC. He was previously known to be over-budget. There are a lot of potential ways this could go, but as always it's best to take things at face value and just expect a single character rather than a Season Pass.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

>Color Theory

I'm thinking Color Theory is fake too.
I was referring to the background color and not what the character is wearing. If that actually isn't what Color Theory was about, maybe I have the wrong impression of it.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I checked the support threads, but how are the supporters of Goemon and Sans feeling about Mii costumes? I can see Goemon fans being unhappy with the Mii-style face, but his body seems pretty close to the pictures Google gives me. Sans has a special head, though, in addition to having (what seem to me) the right proportions.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I was referring to the background color and not what the character is wearing. If that actually isn't what Color Theory was about, maybe I have the wrong impression of it.
Color theory relies on the colors corresponding with the character. Sure, DLC 5 will probably come with a different color background, but what's the point if it ultimately tells us nothing about who or what the character actually is?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
>Color Theory

I'm thinking Color Theory is fake too. Not that I ever took it seriously.

We all know Nihilist Theory is the only true theory.
Sorry, religious Vergeben follower here. His word is the law.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The main proponent of Color theory was that you can predict the character based on color. Red for Joker, Purple for Luminary and Yellow/Orange for Banjo. The fact that Terry's is blue shows the color isn't 100% related to the character itself unless you want to really stretch and say it's his pants.

D

Deleted member

Color theory relies on the colors corresponding with the character. Sure, DLC 5 will probably come with a different color background, but what's the point if it ultimately tells us nothing about who or what the character actually is?
The main proponent of Color theory was that you can predict the character based on color. Red for Joker, Purple for Luminary and Yellow/Orange for Banjo. The fact that Terry's is blue shows the color isn't 100% related to the character itself unless you want to really stretch and say it's his pants.
hmm. I thought the blue background actually made sense for Terry since he's from SNK and the SNK logo is blue. I mean, Persona 5's theme overall was red so it made sense for Joker to have a red background. The DQXI logo has pink, and with the main Hero being Luminary, it made sense for it to be that color. Banjo-Kazooie's background was yellow most likely because of the puzzle piece. It's not like Color Theory relies on what the character is wearing does it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
For predicting season 2, I am gonna give myself a couple of challenges by predicting only first party characters that aren't spirits, mii fighter, or assist trophies.

1. Akira Howard

2. Byleth

3. Pokemon from Sword and Shield

4. Porky

Can't think of a 5th one because I am pretty every major character is in Smash in some form except those 4, 3 of which had their games released after Ultimate and I think Porky's exclusion was more of a oversight if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom