• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetaWeegee

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I always found it amusing people though that the best selling fighting game of all time would only get the one fighter's pass.

Also, that direct was a victory dinner royale

Last edited:

Kronch

Smash Cadet
I don't know if anyone else has already pointed this out, but I think pretty much everything is pointing in Geno's favor now.

The new DLC fighters means there's more opportunity for another SE rep (or two)! But, the biggest thing is that, when Ultimate came out, someone uploaded a fake Megalovania remix on YouTube, claiming it was for Smash as a joke. Nintendo took it down, which captured a lot of attention for Sans at the time. However, now we see that a Megalovania remix actually is in the game. Meanwhile, there was that instance of the two songs related to Geno being taken down from YouTube, with us knowing that 1) SE doesn't like to provide remixes and 2) SE tends to give two songs per character (2 for Cloud, 2 for each Hero alternate).

Geno seems... pretty damn likely now.

Predictabo

Smash Cadet
Some references I can spot in Terry's stage:
It's a mix of the KoF 96 and XIII stadiums
Aside from Ryo, there are more non character cameos on the banners: Alpha Denshi's logo (ADK, a second party developer for SNK), Neo Challenger with the 100 Mega Shock symbol and "Real Bout" from RBFF

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I wonder if the 2nd Fighters Pass will be exclusively 3rd Party as well. I’m not sure which 1st party characters they would add besides Waluigi and Rex and maybe Dee.

I mean, I’d love Impa or Dixie but doubt

Last edited:
Don't know if anybody caught this, but Saks specifically mentioned "pleasing the fans" when he talked about the future DLC. I think a few more fan favorites are a safe bet.

EDIT: Oh, and it's planned at a later date, so I'd assume Spirits (and maybe even Assist Trophies) are fair game past this pass.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
So has Milk said anything since this?

I don't know if anyone else has already pointed this out, but I think pretty much everything is pointing in Geno's favor now.

The new DLC fighters means there's more opportunity for another SE rep (or two)! But, the biggest thing is that, when Ultimate came out, someone uploaded a fake Megalovania remix on YouTube, claiming it was for Smash as a joke. Nintendo took it down, which captured a lot of attention for Sans at the time. However, now we see that a Megalovania remix actually is in the game. Meanwhile, there was that instance of the two songs related to Geno being taken down from YouTube, with us knowing that 1) SE doesn't like to provide remixes and 2) SE tends to give two songs per character (2 for Cloud, 2 for each Hero alternate).

Geno seems... pretty damn likely now.
Not just Geno, I think Shantae as well skyrocketed up in a chance. Both were very popular requests that only got a spirit, and a spirit being upgraded sounds very likely now. Sakurai said he wants to bring new worlds and more fan wishes to life. Both these characters fit that.

Untouch

Smash Master
Gonna make an extreme early prediction.
#5 - Doomguy

Pass 2 (in no order).
#1 - Crash Bandicoot
#2 - Ryu Hayabusa
#3 - Lloyd Irving
#4 - Ezio Whatever
#5 - Professor Layton

D

Deleted member

With the exception of Mementos, all the DLC stages so far seem to be happening during the day (Yggdrasil's Altar and Spiral Mountain are clear as day whereas the KoF arena is rather cloudy and looks to be somewhere between afternoon and evening). I think the next character will come with a stage that takes place at night. I've already thought about Ryu Hayabusa with Sky City Tokyo, Leon Kennedy with Raccoon City, and Zhao Yun with the Battle of Chibi. Who else could bring a night stage?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Okay, that SNK trailer was both fantastic, and a giant **** you to anyone that wanted one of those other characters. :p

And of course...more DLC characters. I can't even...

I don't normally buy Mii costumes, but I'm damn sure buying the one that comes with Megalovania as a music track.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I have no idea why mii costumes deconfirm

We have costumes of characters already playable

#5 - Doomguy

Pass 2 (in no order).
#1 - Crash Bandicoot
#2 - Ryu Hayabusa
#3 - Lloyd Irving
#4 - Ezio Whateverh
#5 - Professor Layton
Doom crash and ryu I all agree on

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
It's.....a Mii costume
Right...But I thought your original argument was that music couldn't join a fighter without an accompanying stage. If Nintendo's giving us music with something as small as a Mii Costume, surely they could also give us music with a fighter, even without a stage.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I have no idea why mii costumes deconfirm

We have costumes of characters already playable
It's less of the actual costume deconfirming and more of the costume's addition being viewed as consolation prize for a character not being playable. Essentially its like saying "sorry they couldn't be playable, use this mii costume to make it like you're playing as them!"

Sakurai pretty much said this himself when he showed off Rex's mii costume in the November Direct. Granted things could change with Rex since we're getting new DLC, but to most people the mii costume pretty much killed his chances for this current season pass.

Last edited:

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
The translation was “Adding more characters to the game, means adding new game worlds to the series” or something to that effect. That to me sounds like he’s focusing on bringing new series to Smash to make it as “definitive” as possible. Everything from around 24 minutes on.

https://youtu.be/DPh3HM6ofWU
Oh, I didn't see that part! Thank you very much!

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
That was quite the fun direct. Right now, I'm currently waiting for Banjo's Parameters to get posted by either Meshima, Ruben, Kurogane, or other number people

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Not just Geno, I think Shantae as well skyrocketed up in a chance. Both were very popular requests that only got a spirit, and a spirit being upgraded sounds very likely now. Sakurai said he wants to bring new worlds and more fan wishes to life. Both these characters fit that.

If nothing else, the inclusion of Sans as a Mii Costume accompanied by music at least gives me hope for Shantae to make an official appearance as a Mii Brawler. Hey, at this point, I'll take what I can get. Sans - even as a costume - has opened a ton of doors for indie games, doors that I was once convinced were closed.

Don't know if anybody caught this, but Saks specifically mentioned "pleasing the fans" when he talked about the future DLC. I think a few more fan favorites are a safe bet.

EDIT: Oh, and it's planned at a later date, so I'd assume Spirits (and maybe even Assist Trophies) are fair game past this pass.

That's my guess. Especially when it comes to characters that Sakurai himself said couldn't have been added to the base roster due to being released after production on Ultimate (Xenoblade 2 rep, ARMS rep, etc). It's entirely possible that he'll want to fill in the gaps that he didn't have time for during initial development.

Then again, it's anybody's guess. It's possible that he has an entire new Fighter's Pass planned. We may get new Echo Fighters. We may get a crazy mix of first- and third-party characters. Assist Trophies may get promotions. Maybe Sakurai has been negotiating with a once-thought-impossible company all this time and we'll see the inclusion of some absolutely insane newcomers (Sora admittedly does come to mind).

At the same time, we may only get one or two more DLC fighters after the Pass, but the way Sakurai described it...he really sounded like he and Nintendo were going to invest in Ultimate. I can honestly see us getting more characters into 2021, maybe even 2022. He sounded like he really wanted this to be his swan song, so I don't think it's possible for us to dream too big about the future of this game anymore.

Which is all sorts of exciting.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I really am happy with the announcements. Terry's stage leads me to believe there will be general KOF content, and I sure do hope that Geese's theme and Arashi no Saxophone 2 (the two songs in the teaser) are part of the music tracks.

Also, I would've asked one more time if people still expect a Nintendo character in this DLC, but I guess it's not necessary anymore, given that more DLC characters means there's a chance for them.

Unless the other characters are also guests.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I really am happy with the announcements. Terry's stage leads me to believe there will be general KOF content, and I sure do hope that Geese's theme and Arashi no Saxophone 2 (the two songs in the teaser) are part of the music tracks.

Also, I would've asked one more time if people still expect a Nintendo character in this DLC, but I guess it's not necessary anymore, given that more DLC characters means there's a chance for them.

Unless the other characters are also guests.
Which means we'll have another third party character incorrectly labeled. This is going to bug me to no end.

Last edited:
What? Since when?
Well, there's nothing official, it's more of an educated guess. Many assumed characters were made Spirits because there weren't any plans for them around the first pass, and it's less likely any future characters would be selected before the spirits were chosen. Like, I'm personally not sure they were ever a deconfirmation, but logically speaking, they're probably much less likely to deconfirm post-pack.

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
#5 - Doomguy

Pass 2 (in no order).
#1 - Crash Bandicoot
#2 - Ryu Hayabusa
#3 - Lloyd Irving
#4 - Ezio Whatever
#5 - Professor Layton
They didn't directly say we'll get a fighter pass 2, it might just be one or two individual characters. But it is more fun to imagine a fighter pass two so heres my early predictions

#5 - Jill Valentine/ Leon Kennedy

Pass 2
#1 - Sora
#2 - Ezio Alditori
#3 - Agumon (some bandai character)
#4 - Dixie Kong
#5 - Geno or a First Party character like Rex and Pyra

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Terry's trailer was a beautiful depiction of why SNK is so beloved - the characters! The personalities! The humor and hype! And Terry looks so beautiful! His best 3D look ever!!

Goemon! Sans!! And the fact that I really feel like my personal hype picks of 2B, Travis Touchdown, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, and Arle Nadja are on the table??

Sakurai, you are so good to me! Oh my god that trailer and sprite work were PERFECT.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Speaking of new series to add to Smash, I saw someone a day or so that I'm kinda fixed on. The only major Japanese publishers missing at thing point is Koei Tecmo (there are a lot of Ryu rumors, but that's all) and Sony (I doubt it because I'm pretty sure they still hate each other, at least in Japan... Joker does not count because although the mainline Persona games are Sony exclusive, Joker counts as an Atlus and Sega rep). After that we have the smaller guys such as:

• Falcom (they'd probably get Adol from Ys)
  • Arc System Works (toss up between Ragna from Blazblue, Sol from Guilty Gear, and maybe Hyde from UNIB)
  • Nippon Ichi (likely one of the Disgaea protags such as Laharl, Valvatorez, and Killia)
  • MARVELOUS! (They are known for more than just publishing No More Heroes, but Travis is requested quite a bit)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
How so? Nothing I saw or heard seemed to hint in that direction.
He said that new characters would add new worlds to Smash.

If it's a franchise that's already in Smash, then it wouldn't be a new world getting added to Smash.

every game is not its own unique world. tekken and street fighter are in the same world. same with bayonetta and dante.
Lol, no they're not.
Just because you have a guest character show up in a game, doesn't mean those two game worlds are now the same.
Soul Calibur and Star Wars don't take place in the same world.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Oh I’m hearing something on spirits no longer deconfirm?

How is that if true?
There's nothing official, but the underlying assumption of "Spirits disconfirm (seriously guys it's not deconfirm)" has certainly taken a hit depending on when any additional fighters outside of the Fighters Pass were decided.

The current facts seem to point to Fighters Pass DLC being negotiated for and decided on both alongside and shortly after Ultimate's development. From this, you can assume the team wouldn't include any characters currently in negotiations as Spirits.

If additional fighters were negotiated for and decided on AFTER this point, then it stands to reason that any character who is a Spirit could potentially be a playable fighter (the reasoning that Spirits disconfirm because they are Spirits is circular, and therefore faulty).

I still believe most Spirits will remain Spirits outside of a choice popular few. And by "popular few," I pretty much mean Geno.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I was anxious as **** all day, mainly because I wanted speculation to live on. Terry's trailer not being a continuation is fan-****ing-tastic for me as speculation still lives.

More DLC is awesome and I'm hoping for AT's to get a 2nd chance (Ashley's all I need for this game to be perfect.

I will literally buy that sans mii costume for the music. Best timeline where we get UT music without a UT character. I just hope Touhou doesn't suffer the same fate.

Awesome day.

Bloxicon

Smash Rookie
Any chance the series will have an official Toontown Online representative?

^ This video showcases a potential moveset that a Flunky might have, right down to his Final Smash.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I still can't believe we live in a world where Terry, Sonic, Cloud, Joker, Link, Megaman, Simon and Pacman can throw Pokeballs at each other while Megalovania plays on a Nintendogs themed level.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Guys! I just got off work!
More DLC! More more more!
I'm so happy! I love you all!!:love::love::love:

Also, now I want Hehachi just out of OCD.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So I guess the Terry/Hayabusa leak is fake then? Cause that one said Terry’s trailer would be a sequel to Kencineroar’s and well, it wasn’t

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom