• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Let's kill this before it starts. Every game has it's own unique world. If we are going to disqualify anyone, it should only be those that already have all of the games they appear in represented in Smash. Personally I hope we don't disqualify characters for such arbitrary reasons but it'll happen anyway so I'm probably waiting my...text limits...

(Wow that expression does not work on a computer)
every game is not its own unique world. tekken and street fighter are in the same world. same with bayonetta and dante. there may be others as well. i'd hardly disqualify Heihachi or dante from consideration based on other characters inclusion.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
I'll say three thing ...

... First HOLY SMOKING TOLEDOS Terry Bogard looks rad ...

... Second HOLY FUDGING SHWOOP ! MORE CHARACTERS COMING OMG SAKURAI GET SOME REST !!!! ...

... Third so Doomguy, Lara Croft, Ryu Hayabusa, Crash Bandicoot, Shantae, Heihachi or Yoshimitsu have still one chance to get into smash also Steeve ?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The trailer for Terry was really a troll man. For a moment I thought Kyo was in.

About wave 2 of DLC I think it's pretty obvious that the characters will be all from new IPs. They said they want to bring "new worlds". In other words, new franchises. I only see Waluigi being the exception for obvious reasons.
However, the Stage Select screen has no more room for new stages. We already know that the last slot is there to allow custom stages to be selected in the Random Stage Selection menu, so any new fighters will not come with any stages.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Sans is dead, the Mii Costume killed him. But most people are fine with that.

No, it is Frisk who benefits from the Undertale series symbol.
Though why would they release Sans now if they were gonna add an Undertale character later? Why not release the Undertale costume with the Undertale character?

Also, Capcom costumes coming with Banjo. Following the same logic, should Capcom reps be worried?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
However, the Stage Select screen has no more room for new stages. We already know that the last slot is there to allow custom stages to be selected in the Random Stage Selection menu, so any new fighters will not come with any stages.
They can always expand it further, or do like Smash 3DS and Wii U and add a second page for DLC stages.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We could still get music with those characters though. After all, the Sans costume comes with a new song

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
you know they can add another page to the stage select screen right.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Undertale having its own series icon is going to a ****ton of fuel to the speculation flames from here on out.

Also, Undertale is now practically tied with Shovel Knight in the indie race to a playable character. Wild, but expected.
Have you considered the possibility we might get a stage?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm not so sure. It's true that they didn't say that the fighters would come with music and a new stage, but I think that's a given, specially with the "new worlds" quote.
We will see. I'm excited for the fifth character and the next ones, at this moment almost any character seems to have options to joining the roster.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
We could still get music with those characters though. After all, the Sans costume comes with a new song
But, do you think they would really add a character from a new franchise (especially if they're 3rd party) without adding a stage? Essentially, the music would play on all the misc. stages instead.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
every game is not its own unique world. tekken and street fighter are in the same world. same with bayonetta and dante. there may be others as well. i'd hardly disqualify Heihachi or dante from consideration based on other characters inclusion.
Even games that take place in the same area (such has the Mushroom Kingdom) have different level layouts, though I do get what you're saying. Still I really hope the speculation community doesn't go "Well he said new game worlds so all currently represented franchises are now disconfirmed. lol". It's going to get old.

you know they can add another page to the stage select screen right.
Ew. That would cause sooo many issu-*realizes that you said Stage Select Screen and not Character Select Screen*

*Backs away into a corner*

Wait. THIS IS OFICCIAL!? AND IT IS A REMIX!?
Maybe I just haven't listened to the song enough but it sounds like an existing rendition to me.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I have the feeling the second FP was planned since the beggining alongside the first FP and Sakurai had a lot of freedom selecting the characters, like every character so far has been one the man himself chose just because he liked them.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Created a new poll. I apologize in advance for not knowing any Undertale jokes.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Though why would they release Sans now if they were gonna add an Undertale character later? Why not release the Undertale costume with the Undertale character?

Also, Capcom costumes coming with Banjo. Following the same logic, should Capcom reps be worried?
Because there isn't an Undertale character coming now, but the costume and music track were ready? I mean, people wanted Sans more than Undertale itself (the character's kind of big enough to be a separate entity from his series at this point).

Mii Costume theory is dead and buried, though.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
if the WoL leak is anything to go by we should be getting a total of 11 more fighters.

A total of 91 (93 if you count Pokemon Trainer separate).

MainJPW

M.T.A
Sakurai really is the biggest troll, man.

I put my hopes of Kyo Kusanagi getting in to rest and made peace with Terry Bogard getting in instead...

ONLY FOR HIM TO BAIT ME WITH OPENING WITH THE KING OF FIGHTERS 94 INTRO.

AND FOR A SECOND I REALLY THOUGHT KYO WAS IN, MAN.

I don't think I've ever had my heart rise and sink so quickly ever before :(
Ryo looks like he's ready to jump in, too. Look at him just hanging.

I don't remember a final arena taking place in a football stadium. It looks the most like the KoF '96 stage.

Look at how they incorporated the Smash logo on the KoF emblem

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
We can speculate but until the they reveal the first character of the second wave to see where they're going I think anything is possible.
Maybe Nintendo will share more info soon about the second fighter pass, I hope so.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
wait, the video is fake?

But it's the same name and stuff as the actual channel...though, it does take you to its own page instead of Nintendo's when you click the name...

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
So look…Pardon my immature gushing here for a sec, because I’m sorry, the news we got today very nearly exceeded every expectation I had.

It’s one thing to just drop Banjo and Kazooie, a character I’ve wanted in this game since 1999, today. It’s another thing all together to just casually tell us “Oh yeah, hey, don’t worry, there are plenty more DLC fighters coming after the Fighter’s Pass. You’re welcome.” That one-two sucker punch of incredible announcements blew me away.

And honestly, I have no doubt that King of Fighter fans went nuts over that announcement trailer. I personally had no clue what was happening haha, but those old-school sprites were gorgeous to look at regardless. I’m sure die-hard fans had a field day, and I’m super happy for you guys.

Not to mention the attention to detail that went into BK’s moveset! They really don’t look very top-tier (a lot of their moves, while faithful to their original games, look like they have a lot of downsides and weaknesses), but honestly? Guys, I couldn’t care less. They play like how I remember them playing on the N64, a majority of the music has been remixed, Spiral Mountain looks like a ton of fun to play on, Banjo “guh-huh!”s in his victory screen…Even just the amount of time Sakurai took to just talk about the BK series, going as far as to say “Hey, I know we’re competing companies, but…go buy an Xbox and play Banjo-Kazooie”.

(By the way, Candid Sakurai is my all-time favorite version of Sakurai)

Also, this is easily the best Mii Costume pack of them all. Team Rocket alone is incredible, but Goemon completely seals the deal for me! And I know Undertale fans may be bummed that Sans is a Mii Costume instead of a playable character, but LISTEN: This makes Sans technically the first playable indie rep in Smash. Complete with music! This is an enormous honor, and the entire fanbase should be extremely honored. Hey, it’s more than we Shantae fans got haha.

This is just so great. We don’t have to worry about “Oh, the Fighter’s Pass ended in a disappointing way” because we now know that whoever we get isn’t the last one. We won’t get a situation like Incineroar or Bayonetta, where everyone hated on the character simply because they were the last ones announced. And when you look at the Fighter’s Pass as a whole, regardless of who gets in last, it’s astonishingly diverse in terms of genres represented, fanbases pleased, and gameplay styles.

This all but confirms that the final Pass DLC character will 100% be third-party, so do we want to assume that the non-Pass DLC characters will be first-party?

Oh, and again, damn, that’s just the Smash stuff! SNES on the Switch and new modes for Tetris 99 (both free updates!), Overwatch looking incredible, Jedi Outcast port coming out of nowhere (???), new info on Animal Crossing, Xenoblade 1 remastered…like, come on, this Direct rivalled Nintendo’s E3, which is saying something.

(Though they still did absolutely nothing to convince me that Sword and Shield were worth buying, so it wasn’t flawless…)

Man, the hype. The hype hasn’t just been rekindled, but straight-up doused in gasoline! None of y’all salt will bring me down on this day!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
First, I couldn’t watch the Direct. But I got the important Smash news from GameXplain. Can’t do big reactions right now due to where I am, but quick shots here we go...

Banjo- TODAY?!?!?! NICE! The one true bright spot so far (personal opinion) in this pass for me! Woo!

Terry- You all know how I feel, but with the additional info we got I can probably pass him over without much thought so we’ll see how he grows on me, if at all, once he releases.

Sans Mii Costume- THANK GOD IT’S NOT A FIGHTER AND I NEVER HAVE TO BUY THE COSTUME!!!

More DLC- I STILL HAVE HOPE I COULD GET CHARACTERS I’M MORE INVESTED/FAMILIAR WITH! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Overall, the positives, for the time being, outweigh the negatives. We don’t deserve Sakurai, but I am thankful for all his work and dedication. Regardless of my personal feeling on the content he adds. He truly deserves the biggest vacation ever after Ultimate’s DLC is over.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I love how everyone immediately stopped crying over Terry the moment more DLC fighters were announced. Lol.

I’m at least glad the storm has been quelled.

Also, I don’t think it’s a 2nd Fighter’s pass, just an indeterminate number of fighters to be sold individually. I think if they planned on making one more pass, they would have announced it as such.

As for who else could be added... idk. Hayabusa leak is fake. Doomguy seems like a very strong contender for the 5th spot.

Then I think Geno is near lock-in. Reasoning being, he’s a character Sakurai personally wanted, he said as much, so it feels like Nintendo would say “go for it” just to talk him into going just a little bit further with the DLC.

From there on, I think anything goes really, the doors have been spread wide open. More 3rd party, new 1st party picks like Astral Chain, hell, even something like another FE shill pick is in the cards. The fact that Terry is still being worked on, means that these extended fighters haven’t started any work, and the idea was decided upon recently, so anything goes.

One final thing, on leakers. I’d say anything they say that isn’t being said just a few days before a Direct is bogus. THEY themselves don’t know, and they don’t really hear anything till pretty much Nintendo themselves has given the okay for information to be spread about moment before a reveal. Outside of stuff like Datamines, they got this on lockdown. I mean look at how NOBODY said Terry till moments after Nintendo themselves leaked SNK.

So I can say with confidence, nobody knows who the remaining fighters are, nor how many there are. Not Sabi, not Vergeben, not random 4channers. They’ll know just about a week before Nintendo is ready to announce something, so I’d say take all leaks with a grain of salt, most of them are about as credible as speculation at this point.

I mean, for example, where’s the Minecraft content? It’s clear no one really knows about the internal development of Ultimate.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
wait, the video is fake?

But it's the same name and stuff as the actual channel...though, it does take you to its own page instead of Nintendo's when you click the name...
As I'm learning in my parano-I mean security class, it's really easy to redirect links and make web pages look like other web pages.

EDIT: I will probably no longer respond to anything for a while as Banjo & Kazooie have just finished updating. Bye.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm sure we all knew it was coming, but still... more fighters on the way?

I can't take it, Sakurai! This is too much. This pass isn't even over. The speculation. The anticipation. Ahhhh!!

On a side note, BK looks way more fun than I imagined. I can't wait to try them out.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I just want to remind everyone in here that Minecraft has still not received any content or representation in Smash. With a new wave of DLC I believe Steve stands as a front runner alongside Waluigi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom