• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Okay then, I'll nip both of those in the bud, get your attention on this.
What do you think of Madotsuki? If she was somehow the March reveal how would you feel?
Yume Nikki was a such a strange and wonderful game I’d be down with it just for the novelty alone. That could make for a sick moveset too.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honestly, I don't want a sequel to Ultimate to be... halfhearted in any respect with what it does with the series. I don't want it to be, like... "okay, let's not bring back some of the less-negotiable third-parties and some of the clones, but add in like five newcomers". If it's trying to be Ultimate 2, it should be Ultimate 2. And if it's not that - which it probably can't be - then I want it to do something wild. Add in four new specials for everyone; cut Sheik; go 3D; something. Ultimate wrapped itself in Smash's history as a franchise, and while "everyone is here" is really cool, it does tie the game down in some respects. If you bring most things back, but not all, then you're just as tied down but have nothing to show for it. Ultimate gives the next game an opportunity to throw off the chains of the past and not be beholden to decisions made up to two decades ago, and if they're not going all-in on Everyone Is Still Here, then I want to see those chains broken.
I disagree with the notion that Super Smash Bros. should be turned on its head. While I do think adding something like a new universal mechanic that shakes up gameplay would go a long way into making a reboot feel truly different, the past iterations should still be respected. I'm OK with cutting mainstays, there are kind of too many to keep long term, but turning the game into an arena fighter? Really? The game should at least be recognizable or you might as well call it something else.

Okay, but... why Yume Nikki? I could get representing RPG Maker, but why that game in particular?
Yume Nikki is pretty huge for what it is. As far as I know, it's the biggest RPG Maker game, and has spawned its own subgenre.

One of the more interesting ideas of mine involves one of her specials, her recory move, being Medamaude, a move with very heavy lag on both startup and ending, and warps her to the center of the stage regardless of where she happens to be when using it.
uses it in the Great Cave Offensive

teleports into floor

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I just realized, Smash Bros Ultimate, the biggest gaming celebration ever. Has two final bosses, both of which are based off books. I find that hilarious.
Clearly the solution to rectify this oversight is to gather the four biggest and baddest iconic video game final bosses for the next Smash game... and mash them up into one single unholy abomination. The ultimate video game crossover final boss battle!

PacificFun

Smash Ace
So I finally listened to One Winged Angel in its entirety. I can see how its a fan favorite but I'm not a fan of the song's "momentum". Maybe it'll grow on me.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I disagree with the notion that Super Smash Bros. should be turned on its head. While I do think adding something like a new universal mechanic that shakes up gameplay would go a long way into making a reboot feel truly different, the past iterations should still be respected. I'm OK with cutting mainstays, there are kind of too many to keep long term, but turning the game into an arena fighter? Really? The game should at least be recognizable or you might as well call it something else.
I'm not saying going 3D is what I would want out of the series. I just needed an example of a drastic change. My point is, if we can't be Ultimate 2 then I want some big shakeups.

I feel like "the past iterations should still be respected" is a statement I disagree with, but it's a bit hard for me to get a read on exactly what you mean from just that statement. For me, the entire appeal of "post-Ultimate" is that it doesn't have to adhere to what came before it. There's no pressure to keep movesets the same, or keep Sheik or Corrin in the game, or anything like that. How something was in Smash before should only barely be a factor, in my opinion.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Galeem is based off Seraphims from the Bible. And Dharkon is based off HP Lovecrafts work. Though Dracula works too.
Wait, so Galeem is based on the Bible...

And it seems like FP2 is giving fighter packs to stuff that missed out on base game or had stuff in base game but no playable fighter...

I'm just saying, could we see him in FP2?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I feel like "the past iterations should still be respected" is a statement I disagree with, but it's a bit hard for me to get a read on exactly what you mean from just that statement. For me, the entire appeal of "post-Ultimate" is that it doesn't have to adhere to what came before it. There's no pressure to keep movesets the same, or keep Sheik or Corrin in the game, or anything like that. How something was in Smash before should only barely be a factor, in my opinion.
I mostly mean roster placements. Characters that could have better movesets should, but there are certain characters that should stay even if they're not relevant in the current gaming sphere beyond the series. Characters like Captain Falcon, who's home series have been long dead, but most people would agree that it's not really a Smash game without them. Picks like those are essential I feel.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

And it seems like FP2 is giving fighter packs to stuff that missed out on base game or had stuff in base game but no playable fighter...

I think my religion dictates I have to main Him.

Hope He's a heavyweight.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

This post made me theorize momentarily about how Jesus would work in Smash and now I’m rethinking how I spend my time.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Unless its Ultimate Deluxe definitely not. Smash 6 would have to be a launch title for that to line up time wise.
Probably. It might be a Reason why there's no Fighter Pass 3 (well that, and Dimminshing Returns on DLC, as well as other things)

They might want to Brand Ultimate deluxe as some type of New Game for New Switch, as well as perhaps Big DLC Expanison old players have to Buy.

Sakurai Seems to enjoy making Smash games, despite how much he mentions about not getting a Break, and I bet he gets payed well.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Speaking of God, what if they make Master Hand the final character for the game? I feel like it's very possible at this point.

Especially because of THAT part in WOL.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Galeem: "Who are you?
Sephiroth: I'm you, but better
View attachment 295689

Since Sephiroth's final smash is pretty much guaranteed to be Super Nova, what parts do you think they're going to keep in? I personally hope they keep the math equations and the attack punching a hole through Jupiter.
The two-minute length

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Speaking of God, what if they make Master Hand the final character for the game? I feel like it's very possible at this point.

Especially because of THAT part of WOL.
As a post-pass freebie/standalone DLC when all is said and done? I can't think of a better send-off, it's a downright fantastic idea.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

Especially because of THAT part of WOL.
That would certainly be interesting. Though Master Hand would have make tons of amendments to the way multiplayer works that it doesn’t seem very feasible. Plus it would kinda diminish the impact of Master Hand even more.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I mostly mean roster placements. Characters that could have better movesets should, but there are certain characters that should stay even if they're not relevant in the current gaming sphere beyond the series. Characters like Captain Falcon, who's home series have been long dead, but most people would agree that it's not really a Smash game without them. Picks like those are essential I feel.
Well, yes, of course we keep Captain Falcon. At this point, he's basically a retro pick in the same way the Ice Climbers were or Isaac would be.

I just think that, as cool as Ultimate's roster is, it's beholden to decisions made years ago under conditions that no longer exist; and that creates clutter. Honestly, roster placements are one of the things I'm most excited to see get tossed. Not to throw out "irrelevant" retro picks - if anything, I think those sorts of picks age the best - but moreso for characters like Jigglypuff, Sheik, or Dr. Mario. I don't want to see a character kept just because "they were in the last game", is my point. Not unless we're going all-in on Ultimate 2.

Heck, my top choice for how to execute a Smash 6 is a Super Smash Villains game. That excludes like every mainstay by definition.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Oh my god, they're actually going to ****ing die.
If anything I'm just really expecting a random console, I mean, not a competitive console aimed to all the gaming market like the PS4 or the Xbox One. More like a special console including X games from them or something like that.

Otherwise I'd be surprised.

The two-minute length
This is the most important part. If Sephiroth's FS doesn't last 2 minutes I'll sell my Switch.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
That would certainly be interesting. Though Master Hand would have make tons of amendments to the way multiplayer works that it doesn’t seem very feasible. Plus it would kinda diminish the impact of Master Hand even more.
You could make it Master Hand's child or some dumb crap like that.

Make them traverse via walking with their fingers and floating for sprinting.

If they can make Pirhana Plant work, I feel like a "fair" Master Hand could work.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Scale this Master Hand down just a little bit, derive most of his moves from the WoL minigame, though made somewhat more reasonable. Make him a super-heavy, maybe slightly heavier than Bowser. While grounded, he floats slightly and his jumps, he has two, are rather high but also stupendiously slow and floaty. When being launched, he hits the ground on his backside before pulling himself up, like his animations for getting stunned and recovering from said stun.

Tinfoil time, but the lack of a proper, unlockable mode for the existing minigame is so damn criminal, seemingly such an oversight... your post actually has me seeing this as... almost more likely than not. That's messed up.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Master Hand or Tabuu or Dragon King seem possible as kinda masturbatory sendoffs for the series. I assume Master Hand (orr Tabuu) would be reworked to be like every other fighter (ie walking uses his 'walking fingers' animation, running has him float across, not just flying around everywhere freely).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom