• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Do you know what it means to be a 'spin-off'? Are most Disney movies spin-offs of Mickey Mouse for having Hidden Mickeys in them? Kingdom Hearts may be a Disney IP, but a SPIN-OFF of Mickey would be like, ****ing Goof Troop or Ducktales.
Yes. It is a spin-off. Just like Mario Kart is a spin-off, and SMASH BROS. ITSELF is a spin-off.

From Wikipedia:
"In media, a spin-off (or spinoff) is a radio program, television program, video game, film, or any narrative work, derived from already existing works that focus on more details and different aspects from the original work (e.g. particular topics, characters or events)."

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
What an odd thing to see Reiji and Xiaomu there. They've never been in a Xenoblade game, yet they're still in a commemorative picture.
I believe it's honoring all of the the Xeno series, which is why KOS-MOS is there as well. Honestly, I don't think just these ensemble artworks make her the mascot of the company, especially since they don't own her.
Feels empty without Xenogears.
It's a picture commemorating Monolith Soft's whole legacy as a 20th anniversary celebration - it's not solely Xeno. KOS-MOS is there because Monolith Soft was literally founded to continue making Xeno games, so excluding Xenosaga from the games being commemorated would be odd. Xenogears isn't there because Monolith Soft didn't make it.

Although if we're saying it's a Xeno picture, Raymond Bryce here is the PERFECT Xeno rep. For his neutral special, he uses a gun. And his eating animation is to die for:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I really, really, really do not like Disney, at all. Sora gets that same scorn from me thanks to association. Maybe he doesn't deserve it, I dunno but I hardly care.

Shroob

Sup?
Yes. It is a spin-off. Just like Mario Kart is a spin-off, and SMASH BROS. ITSELF is a spin-off.

From Wikipedia:
"In media, a spin-off (or spinoff) is a radio program, television program, video game, film, or any narrative work, derived from already existing works that focus on more details and different aspects from the original work (e.g. particular topics, characters or events)."
But it's not a Mickey Mouse spin-off, it's a Disney Spin-off, just like how Smash isn't a Mario Brothers spin-off, it's a Nintendo Spin-off, unless you're saying that every single Disney movie is just a spin off of Mickey.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I really, really, really do not like Disney, at all. Sora gets that same scorn from me thanks to association. Maybe he doesn't deserve it, I dunno but I hardly care.
I love Disney, but I recognize that those wanting Sora in Smash are chasing a ghost. He's barely a step above Goku.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Before the reveal, for a long time before the reveal too, Sephiroth was in a really strange spot honestly - a character that a lot of people would like the idea of, but felt too unrealistic to be considered worth discussing. Probably one of my favorite picks thus far for that reason alone. Would love to see similar choices; those whose current place in speculation amounts to "I'm afraid to ask-"
Cloud was in the same spot, funny enough. Now you could say the same for various other FFVII/Square-owned characters, but I doubt we'll get more FFVII reps period/another Square character in FP2 regardless of Cloud and Sephiroth's situations pre-Smash announcement.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
But it's not a Mickey Mouse spin-off, it's a Disney Spin-off, just like how Smash isn't a Mario Brothers spin-off, it's a Nintendo Spin-off, unless you're saying that every single Disney movie is just a spin off of Mickey.
Yes, but there's clearly a connection to Super Mario Bros. as the name "Super Smash Bros." is clearly derived from "Super Mario Bros.," as Mario is the face of Nintendo.
Likewise, Kingdom Hearts is a Disney spin-off, but Mickey is the face of Disney, which is clearly referenced right on the Keyblade.
Disney may license out Sora to Square Enix, but Sora is owned by Disney, putting him in with Mickey, Donald, and Goofy, not Final Fantasy.

I really don't want to have this argument for the thousandth time, but since Sora will never be in Smash, the speculation will likewise never die.
One is a video game character and the other is a manga character. That's a pretty big step.
Android 21 is also a "video game character", but her home series is manga.
Same with Sora.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Yes, but there's clearly a connection to Super Mario Bros. as the name "Super Smash Bros." is clearly derived from "Super Mario Bros.," as Mario is the face of Nintendo.
Likewise, Kingdom Hearts is a Disney spin-off, but Mickey is the face of Disney, which is clearly referenced right on the Keyblade.
Disney may license out Sora to Square Enix, but Sora is owned by Disney, putting him in with Mickey, Donald, and Goofy, not Final Fantasy.

I really don't want to have this argument for the thousandth time, but since Sora will never be in Smash, the speculation will likewise never die.
I disagree hard with your belief, but you asked to not continue, so I will not.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So one thing I really want to know is...was Verg right when he said Ryu Hayabusa was talked about, or at least Koei Tecmo crossing over into Smash, at some point?

I know I keep harping on this character, however if we really are looking at a lineup that was decided even before Fighter Pass 1 started, I think there are actually quite a few implications for who the last 3 are.

I don’t think folks would like those implications, but we can’t really come to that conclusion unless we know of other characters.

The thing with Hayabusa is that IAmShifty reported the same thing, that they had heard Hayabusa. Now, the dude has been in a multitude of fake leaks so it’s entirely plausible they got baited...however I think it may be a good idea not to count him out.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Back to Geno, I was about to say that the two characters Sakurai has constantly ********** us with but never made playable are Geno and Rayman.
My gut tells me that Rayman will be a Deluxe Mii Brawler. I believed this for a while, but the disconnected limbs of the Minecraft Miis only strengthen that gut feeling.
Unfortunately (or fortunately if you only expected a Standard Mii Costume), it looks like Geno may be our Deluxe Mii Costume that comes with Sephiroth.
So I could easily see both these characters as Mii Costumes.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

From Wikipedia:
I'm sorry but how are anime teens fighting darkness with giant keys "more detail and a different aspect" of freaking Mickey Mouse shorts?

7NATOR

Smash Master
So one thing I really want to know is...was Verg right when he said Ryu Hayabusa was talked about, or at least Koei Tecmo crossing over into Smash, at some point?

I know I keep harping on this character, however if we really are looking at a lineup that was decided even before Fighter Pass 1 started, I think there are actually quite a few implications for who the last 3 are.

I don’t think folks would like those implications, but we can come to that conclusion unless we know of other characters.

The thing with Hayabusa is that IAmShifty reported the same thing, that they had heard Hayabusa. Now, the dude has been in a multitude of fake leaks so it’s entirely plausible they got baited...however I think it may be a good idea not to count him out.

Thoughts?
Well to be fair, the only Leak from Verge regarding Koei was that there was at one point Talks between Koei and Nintendo about Smash. Now I'm sure Ryu showed up in those Talks, but that's just Speculation from Verge's Part

Also Can you tell me what the Implications are, cause I don't know?

Shroob

Sup?
So I got to ask, What you guys Predicting now Post Sephiroth?
March and June/July seem like locked-in reveals, but for who, who knows.

Monster Hunter is still missing both its costumes, and the Amiibo come out the same day as Rise, so I could see MH being revealed in March, or it could be someone else entirely with them bringing the costumes along.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

I don’t think folks would like those implications, but we can’t really come to that conclusion unless we know of other characters.

Thoughts?
Hayabusa seems to be as omnipresent as Erdrick was before Hero's reveal.
But at the same time, Fighter's Pass 2 seems to have been leakproof. Unless you count the really old Steve leaks.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Saying Eggman is the frontrunner after getting Sephiroth is similar to saying a Fortnite rep was the frontrunner after getting Steve.

I think people have a habit of using the most recent character to predict future DLC. Eggman is possible, but keep in mind that every other character from a third-party franchise already in Smash benefited from last night as well.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Saying Eggman is the frontrunner after getting Sephiroth is similar to saying a Fortnite rep was the frontrunner after getting Steve.

I think people have a habit of using the most recent character to predict future DLC. Eggman is possible, but keep in mind that every other character from a third-party franchise already in Smash benefited from last night as well.
I think Jonesy is a lock eventually. Maybe not for this Pass, but definitely some time between now and the final DLC of Smash 7.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Rewatching the Sephiroth trailer, I think it's one of the best they've ever put out, and this is coming from someone who never finished FF7. Great reveal, visuals, they hyped him up, everything just works.

I still think my fave might be King K. Rool's though.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm honestly just gonna stick with my most wanted list now. Prediction wise I've been wrong every time.
That's how I do it!

Nevered cared about who was likely. Only who I want!

This is definitely worth keeping an eye on. Don't expect anything to come of it but keep it in your thoughts - Sephiroth is a very ballsy guess when you live a couple months in the past.
It's REALLY not. He's been one of the "Seven Squares" for, like 2 years. He's not a common pick, but he's not unheard of either.

FFS people, it's a track record of ONE.

I have a better record than that, and my predictions are just my most wanted.

Most text leaks of this kind, they die when the next reveal happens. Those that don't warrant attention
Oh yeah? Which ones have panned out in the past? Like, any of them? Ever?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
View attachment 295208
Who's logo is this?
Who owns Sora?
This has nothing to do with what I said at all.

If you push a narrative, and you're wrong, people tend to go at you.

It's not really right for them to do so either. But that's what happened. I was just explaining the context behind why you get dogpiled on/mad at.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So I got to ask, What you guys Predicting now Post Sephiroth?
I can't predict anything anymore. Last thing I was dead set on was "no non-Echo newcomers from the same 3rd-party franchise" and :ultsephiroth: sliced that in half like he did Galeem.

...So now I'm scared that we're gonna get a playable Assist Trophy character as DLC for Vol. 2.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If Chief gets a costume or playable, that's the only prediction I got right for DLC. That Minecraft, Banjo-Kazoiie, and Halo will be in Smash overall. I didn't get any core details right, of course. I expected Steve before Banjo, but I felt Chief was less likely than the other two(as playable).

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Who's to say that Fortnite will still have its current level of popularity by then? Minecraft's situation seems pretty rare.
At the same time, who's to say it won't? Remember that people were sure Pokémon was a fad that would die out in a couple of years.

And to put it into perspective, Pokémon was the same age when it was added to Smash as Fortnite is now. I just think that's a neat fun fact.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Who's to say that Fortnite will still have its current level of popularity by then? Minecraft's situation seems pretty rare.
Minecraft's not AS popular as it was in 2013/14. But a game THAT big will still be huge even at its bottom, like RuneScape.
I see Fortnite as the same situation. And I don't blame it. Fortnite's the most fun I've had with a shooter since TF2.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

I've said it before, but I think what we need to do is notice traits about the recently announced fighter, and figure out what traits the next fighter WON'T have. Steve is a third party whose game is the best selling one of all time, as opposed to just selling enough, while Sephiroth is from a game from the 90s that was already given a fighter.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
With the sheer amount of crossovers it has and just how long it's been popular, Fortnite is looking to be one of those rare situations right now.

But just because it's popular doesn't mean it HAS to have a playable spot. There are ways to represent the game without having a spot on the roster, like a Spirit Event.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
With the sheer amount of crossovers it has and just how long it's been popular, Fortnite is looking to be one of those rare situations right now.

But just because it's popular doesn't mean it HAS to have a playable spot. There are ways to represent the game without having a spot on the roster, like a Spirit Event.
Yea, but Jonesy has a bit more character to him than Steve.
Not to say that Steve isn't fun as hell to play with his gimmicky moveset, but he still looks like someone a five year old made with Legos.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I can't predict anything anymore. Last thing I was dead set on was "no non-Echo newcomers from the same 3rd-party franchise" and :ultsephiroth: sliced that in half like he did Galeem.

...So now I'm scared that we're gonna get a playable Assist Trophy character as DLC for Vol. 2.
I Need to Ask

Are you afraid that the Words I have spoken about a Certain Black Hedgehog being in this Pass might actually Come True? I only ask from curiosity since you said you're scared that we could get playable Assist

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Sephiroth really cut through every 'obvious pick', it feels like a free-for-all now unless we get a leak. I still think Monster Hunter and Ryu have decent chances, but apart from that I'm ready to sit back and enjoy Sakurai's Wild Ride.
I hope you didn't think you'd get away with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom