• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Why? Because Rise and the Pass 1 amiibo end up releasing on the exact same day?

Because this kind of logic clearly has worked consistently before, hasn't it? :rolleyes:
I think its likely we will get more MH content in Smash Ultimate, maybe only just a MH Rise spirit event (and another one for Stories 2?) and the returning Smash 4 costumes. Or a full challenger pack with a new stage, spirit board and ton of music. Who knows.

I wanted Dante more than Hunter (imagine Sephiroth vs Dante or Bayonetta vs Dante) but the odds are for the MH IP.

D

Deleted member

The poor palette swaps on a lot of these characters usually comes down to the IP holder wanting them to conform to certain design guidelines, like Sonic being blue or Pac-Man being yellow. Given Cloud and Sephiroth have the same palette problems I’d bet on Square having similar rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

Smash Master
Colors do exists in the FFVII universe..........if you're a woman. :4pacman:

I was just joking, but then I realized just how right I was by looking at characters like Yuffie, Tifa and Aerith compared to Cloud, Barret, Sephiroth and others...
Holy crap, you're right! All I had to do was look into Aerith's gorgeous green eyes. Or check out that mind-blowing red dress....

LOL The guys are cursed to wear nothing but black, excessive belt buckles and metal armor plating.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I think its likely we will get more MH content in Smash Ultimate, maybe only just a MH Rise spirit event (and another one for Stories 2?) and the returning Smash 4 costumes. Or a full challenger pack with a new stage, spirit board and ton of music. Who knows.

I wanted Dante more than Hunter (imagine Sephiroth vs Dante or Bayonetta vs Dante) but the odds are for the MH IP.
Yeah, but Spikester has the bad habit of only looking at shill factor when it comes to third-parties not named Geno.

He didn't even think much of Hunter before that one Direct mini, but since then, Hunters have been a frontrunner of his for over two months, and it probably won't stop until the second pass ends, solely because Monster Hunter Rise got a focus on a mini and its own dedicated Direct.

And looking only at shill factor just doesn't do a third-party character justice, imo.

Last edited:

I was just joking, but then I realized just how right I was by looking at characters like Yuffie, Tifa and Aerith compared to Cloud, Barret, Sephiroth and others...
Or you're Genesis, but I don't know that he's been so much as referenced since Crisis Core, and I believe he originated there.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People already say it earlier, Sephiroth getting in doesn't mean other 3rd party series will double dip, but not gonna lie, a lineup like that for the remaining 3 slots

FP9: Chun-Li
FP10: Alucard
FP11: Zero

Would be absolutely dope. 10/10 picks in my opinion.
While it started this time, and may even happen once more before the end of the pass, I think you're going to start seeing additions more in this vein next time. It's a category that has only begun to be mined, but still has a lot of hype potential.

At this point I'm fairly certain Geno is returning but as a premium Mii next week.
I certainly hope that if he's a costume, it's a deluxe one with music. As I'm sure everyone else does.

But honestly I could easily see them just bringing him back as he was before, the only difference being the new proportions.

John Romero confirmed his name is Doom Guy.

Daikatana's name is big big sword.

Sorry John, I had to.

Or a genetically altered feline named after a colour.

The poor palette swaps on a lot of these characters usually comes down to the IP holder wanting them to conform to certain design guidelines, like Sonic being blue or Pac-Man being yellow. Given Cloud and Sephiroth have the same palette problems I’d bet on Square having similar rules.
Undoubtably. It's not just Sakurai and the team uncharacteristically cutting corners.

The Pokemon face similar restrictions as well, though I believe they've eased up a bit. Hence the altering headwear instead of... y'know... Pikablu.

A low key character huh? Maybe hope Magnus is not lost?
Magnus is cool, but not that low-key. I meant more along the lines of Byleth or Min Min level.

D

Deleted member

We got Banjo over Steve
1607720327993.png

Are you sure about that?

I mean yes, Banjo did come before Steve, but that was probably because Steve's move-set was a lot harder to develop. In fact, Steve was originally planned for base roster.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
People already say it earlier, Sephiroth getting in doesn't mean other 3rd party series will double dip, but not gonna lie, a lineup like that for the remaining 3 slots

FP9: Chun-Li Raiden Chun-Li
FP10: Alucard
FP11: Zero

Would be absolutely dope. 10/10 picks in my opinion.
Fixed.
Fixed it back.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I see everyone is enjoying shirtless Sephiroth
It's always thirsty o' clock somewhere in Smashboards. :4pacman:

But really, if I'm being honest about next year, I think we're up for one more big hitter/fan favorite. I just can't see them planning a whole year with Steve and Sephiroth back to back, followed by another year of just niche stuff.

So my bet is on a smaller character up next, followed by a big one on E3 and ending on a smaller note.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
View attachment 295170
Are you sure about that?

I mean yes, Banjo did come before Steve, but that was probably because Steve's move-set was a lot harder to develop. In fact, Steve was originally planned for base roster.
We got Banjo before Steve, and people expected the opposite.

That's what SharkLord was saying.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
View attachment 295170
Are you sure about that?

At the moment, I mean. I wasn't on SmashBoards at the time, but from other sites the general consensus seemed to be that Steve was the obvious choice due to modern relevance and a game on the Switch... Except we actually got Banjo instead.

Ironically, when we actually got Steve, Master Chief took up most of the discussion and Steve was overshadowed. Travis also gained some traction at that time too, thanks to the Suda51 interview. Though, Steve did seem to get a fair bit of attention outside of SmashBoards, so admittedly that's not as strong an example as Banjo.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean yes, that is true.

But Steve is in the game. Dante, Jonesy, and Crash are not in the game (yet). It feels different.
It doesn't disprove his point though.

At the moment, I mean. I wasn't on SmashBoards at the time, but from other sites the general consensus seemed to be that Steve was the obvious choice due to modern relevance and a game on the Switch... Except we actually got Banjo instead.

Ironically, when we actually got Steve, Master Chief took up most of the discussion and Steve was overshadowed. Travis also gained some traction at that time too, thanks to the Suda51 interview. Though, Steve did seem to get a fair bit of attention outside of SmashBoards, so admittedly that's not as strong an example as Banjo.
He wasn't the obvious choice so much as both camps were pretty big and loud and accompanied by their own positives and negatives. The level of friction was because there wasn't seen to be an obvious choice between the two plausible candidates (at least for people who were unbiased).

Banjo just got the invitation, but the other option wasn't without sense. It's like when they went with Castlevania over Bomberman despite both being pretty fair choices at that point.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Well, here's something neat: Nintendo is launching a new series, and hey ho what do you know the first episode is about Hades.
Nice to see Nintendo continue to show love to it.

Now go play it

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Unlike Raiden, Zero and Alucard...Chun Li ain't never been the star of her own game before!
Did any of those characters get to be the star of their own live action movie? (Yeah it was sh** but all video game movies are) And she's been in more crossovers than all three of those characters combined!

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Watch we get Palicos as the next fighter in March.

Monster Hunter returns as a Mii costume given the returning Sm4sh Mii trend.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Monster Hunter's the new talk of the town, are they?

Yeah, they're not it. Call me superstitious, but every time someone becomes the new hot topic we end up with someone else.
Hmm, this is a very different case.

Dante, Crash, Master Chief, Jonesy, and Geno were all lifted by small details within creators, and mostly insignificant leaks.

Monster Hunter has some massive stuff to back it up. It is very popular in Japan. The Monster Hunter Mii Costumes are still missing, and the next wave of amiibos come out the same day as Monster Hunter Rise. Shroob Shroob can help me out here.

I am not saying Dante or Crash are out of the running, but they just don't have the heavy evidence that Monster Hunter does right now.

I am not saying it is guaranteed, because hey, these characters are completely unpredictable.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I still think Monster Hunter is unlikely by virtue of the devs believing monsters are more representative of the game over the Hunters, which is why Rathalos is in the game and the Hunter isnt.

Hell, i mentioned in the past that Marvel vs Capcom Infinite almost didnt have the Hunter given the MH devs hesitance but managed to pull through in the end.

But Sakurai has his way of convincing third parties for crazy stuff soo...

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Hopefully you don't instantly Die if you Use the Shirtless Sephiroth alt and get attacked even once

D

Deleted member

I still think Monster Hunter is unlikely by virtue of the devs believing monsters are more representative of the game over the Hunters, which is why Rathalos is in the game and the Hunter isnt.
I mean Slime got in Mario Sports Mix before Hero, and Slime is considered more iconic than the Dragon Quest Heroes. Please correct me if I am wrong.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Dante, Crash, Master Chief, Jonesy, and Geno were all lifted by small details within creators, and mostly insignificant leaks.

Monster Hunter has some massive stuff to back it up. It is very popular in Japan. The Monster Hunter Mii Costumes are still missing, and the next wave of amiibos come out the same day as Monster Hunter Rise. Shroob Shroob can help me out here.

I am not saying Dante or Crash are out of the running, but they just don't have the heavy evidence that Monster Hunter does right now.

I am not saying it is guaranteed, because hey, these characters are completely unpredictable.
I mean, Dante had the DMC Switch ports, which peaked with a special edition of DMC3. This coincided with the statement that Dante should be on the Switch before getting into Smash. Then it was announced that we'd be getting DMC news on the same day as the CP5 reveal, and then V's voice actor seemingly stated that Dante would be in Smash, though it turned out that was just poor wording. Dante had a lot going for him too.

good lord has it been a year since then already

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Something I was thinking about; does my most wanted being a crackpot choice with virtually no chance... make it hard for me to relate to people whose most wanted actually feels within reach to them? I ponder it because maybe it's unfair of me to act like I'm in the same boat as other speculators who end up getting burned - which there will surely be no shortage of when all is said and done.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean, Dante had the DMC Switch ports, which peaked with a special edition of DMC3. This coincided with the statement that Dante should be on the Switch before getting into Smash. Then it was announced that we'd be getting DMC news on the same day as the CP5 reveal, and then V's voice actor seemingly stated that Dante would be in Smash, though it turned out that was just poor wording. Dante had a lot going for him too.

good lord has it been a year since then already
Yes, this is true.

But Monster Hunter literally had a direct towards it. And are we going to talk about the fact that the next wave of amiibos release the same day as Monster Hunter: Rise?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

MH aside, it should be obvious why Dante, Crash, Master Chief and Jonesy were "lifted", and it has almost nothing to do with statements or leaks. Geno is more debatable.

D

Deleted member

MH aside, it should be obvious why Dante, Crash, Master Chief and Jonesy were "lifted", and it has almost nothing to do with statements or leaks.
Yes, they are huge. I am not denying that.

But we are talking about evidence that could make them our character. Being a "huge" game series is a bit vague and covers many series. GTA is a MASSIVE gaming series, and it hasn't been in Smash.

I am talking about straight up solid evidence that hints towards then in Smash. Monster Hunter is probably the only character that has that. The list of characters I do have some evidence and stuff, but it isn't to the extent of Monster Hunter.

I just want to point out that I am not saying Monster Hunter is guaranteed. Learning from Steve and Sephiroth, the limits for a video game character in Smash are nearly broken. We could get anyone.

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
MH is one of those characters that I really would rather not get. They don't really appeal to me personally and seem rather bland in my eyes, but hey they have a lot of weapons and stuff like that so it's not like they'd be bad as a concept, in fact, they work well. With that said I'd be very surprised if we didn't get a single Capcom rep in dlc considering all the options they have, but if it were MH I would've wished we'd have just gotten them in base game. Also with sephiroth in the game I'm having more doubts about Dante and Phoenix never seemed like the major get Nintendo would look for in terms of dlc, which leaves MH as the easiest sell for Capcom. Base game would've been nice though

ObieStar

Smash Rookie
Hey, I have a theory.
So Min Min and Terry are both from fighting games. Banjo & Kazooie and Steve are both owned by Microsoft. Sephiroth and Byleth are both character's from a franchise that already has a different character beforehand. What if the next characters are related Joker, Piranha Plant and Hero?
A character from a JRPG, an obscure franchise, and joke character?

P.S. I hate Sephiroth in SSBU.

D

Deleted member

Hey, I have a theory.
So Min Min and Terry are both from fighting games. Banjo & Kazooie and Steve are both owned by Microsoft. Sephiroth and Byleth are both character's from a franchise that already has a different character beforehand. What if the next characters are related Joker, Piranha Plant and Hero?
A character from a JRPG, an obscure franchise, and joke character?

P.S. I hate Sephiroth in SSBU.
Lmao, embarrassing fail. You're clearly an alt account trying to troll us.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Monster Hunter's the new talk of the town, are they?

Yeah, they're not it. Call me superstitious, but every time someone becomes the new hot topic we end up with someone else. We got Banjo over Steve, Byleth over Dante, Sephiroth over Jonesy and Crash, etc. I'm hesitant to go with the latest hot %$#@ after so many curveballs.
I feel as though there will be a Capcom character around Rises release date and the Banjo amiibo, but it won't actually be Monster Hunter to surprise people. Monster Hunter will be the returning Mii Costume. Instead they go with Dante.

Yeah, I still think Dante has a very good shot even if Chun-Li's chances have raised.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom