• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Just wanna vent a bit.

I'm as desperate as ever for Dante, you know me and all...
but the fact that Sephiroth shows that Nintendo are more than willing to double dip on 3rd party franchises with unique characters makes me painfully aware that Monster Hunter's chances have SKYROCKETED through the roof and now I believe they are far more likely a candidate than Dante ever has been (or will be).

As for Sega... There's no way in God's green Earth that they'll pick a nobody franchise like Shin Megami Tensei when they have the option of a megahit sonic character like Eggman, Shadow, or Tails. Hell, even within Atlus itself Persona eclipses SMT to the point I think it's very likely that they'd pick Yu Narukami over anyone else in their gallery.

In short, the hope I got for my most 2 wanteds has evaporated completely after this.
View attachment 295077
Anyway, those are just my non-Sephiroth related thoughts after his reveal. At least he looks really cool.
the only downside is dante is likely done. just a huge overlap on aesthetic and weapon.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Hey, I have a theory.
So Min Min and Terry are both from fighting games. Banjo & Kazooie and Steve are both owned by Microsoft. Sephiroth and Byleth are both character's from a franchise that already has a different character beforehand. What if the next characters are related Joker, Piranha Plant and Hero?
A character from a JRPG, an obscure franchise, and joke character?

P.S. I hate Sephiroth in SSBU.
I doubt it lol

P.S. I love Sephiroth in SSBU.

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
So Min Min and Terry are both from fighting games. Banjo & Kazooie and Steve are both owned by Microsoft. Sephiroth and Byleth are both character's from a franchise that already has a different character beforehand. What if the next characters are related Joker, Piranha Plant and Hero?
A character from a JRPG, an obscure franchise, and joke character?
Based on those hard definitions
Monster Hunter, Arle, Waluigi
Will it happen? I'm gonna say no

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think the next characters will be a Pokemon, a joke character, and a character from an obscure franchise
Do you agree?
Why do you think it's one of those three things?

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
It's weird, I love Monster Hunter and I would be elated if they got in, but now I don't think their chances are that great as opposed to how I was feeling earlier in the year. It's strange seeing him as a frontrunner now though.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yes, they are huge. I am not denying that.

But we are talking about evidence that could make them our character. Being a "huge" game series is a bit vague and covers many series. GTA is a MASSIVE gaming series, and it hasn't been in Smash.

I am talking about straight up solid evidence that hints towards then in Smash. Monster Hunter is probably the only character that has that. The list of characters I do have some evidence and stuff, but it isn't to the extent of Monster Hunter.

I just want to point out that I am not saying Monster Hunter is guaranteed. Learning from Steve and Sephiroth, the limits for a video game character in Smash are nearly broken. We could get anyone.
You're talking about the evidence. SharkLord's point seems to be that despite evidence, we often get unexpected characters regardless.

That means the evidence for MH is being acknowledged, just not given the same level of credence for inevitability you're granting it.

You two are just presenting opposing views, where you're leaning on the evidence, and he's leaning on unpredictability. I have no skin in this fight, all my point was is that it's reductive to the point of being unconvincing to chalk up what might be the biggest remaining names to factors which clearly only had minimal sway in the first place... if they even happened at all. Though I will say that unpredictability wins a lot more often than evidence, especially with DLC.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I gotta say it's funny how Square is ALWAYS painted as a villain that keeps Geno hostage from Smash. Like at least once we could entertain the possibility that Nintendo just isn't interested in the character.

They are the richest company in Japan, I don't think they're going to be boss around by a smaller company just because "they're stingy XD".
what is geno's interest to make non-nintendo people care? answer: virtually none. geno isn't even a notable SE character let alone videogame character in general.
Sakurai is a fan but he dont love geno like he loves terry.

also id be shocked if a gamelike Fortnite gets in its relatively new and theres no main character to latch on. people thought steive was too new steive is a decade old,

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You're talking about the evidence. SharkLord's point seems to be that despite evidence, we often get unexpected characters regardless.

That means the evidence for MH is being acknowledged, just not given the same level of credence for inevitability you're granting it.

You two are just presenting opposing views, where you're leaning on the evidence, and he's leaning on unpredictability. I have no skin in this fight, all my point was is that it's reductive to the point of being unconvincing to chalk up what might be the biggest remaining names to factors which clearly only had minimal sway in the first place... if they even happened at all. Though I will say that unpredictability wins a lot more often than evidence, especially with DLC.
Okay, but this time, the evidence is pretty large.

I mean the wave of amiibos releasing on the same date as Monster Hunter: Rise is very suspicious. Also, Nintendo pushed Monster Hunter: Rise so hard, they even gave it its own direct.

I will say I agree with unpredictability. The only character that I feel is "likely" at this point is Monster Hunter. For everyone else, it is just random.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
So Monster Hunter is the talk of the town now? I mean, I would say Dante and 2B are in the same league as both of their fighting styles would be similar ala weapons. But Monster Hunter would be cool. I hope they would have a female variant.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I'd disagree. Aerith probably the most agency of any character in Remake's story and that's without getting into spoilers for people who haven't played it yet.
I'd make a counterargument but Sephiroth just suddenly appeared next to my bed

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
It'd be really somethin' if Sakurai and his team cared about spoilers the way y'all seem to. :070:

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
* pokes head through paper cutout hole *
Are you sure about that?
Seriously though, I'm pretty sure Phoenix is still the most requested Capcom character, even with Monster Hunter and Dante around. Nintendo legacy is a hell of an influence in the Nintendo fanbase, who would've thougth?

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
SSB4 technically got 8 villains.:ultbowserjr::ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig:

But yes, Smash still needs more villains. :awesome:

:ultmario: Waluigi
:ultlink: Ganon
:ultlink: Skull Kid
:ultyoshi: Kamek
:ultkirby: Marx
:ultpikachu: Team Rocket (Meowth, Ekans, Koffing)
:ultness: Porky
:ultpit: Medusa
:ultsonic: Dr. Eggman
:ultmegaman: Dr. Wily
:ultryu: M. Bison
:ultsimon: Dracula
:ulthero: Slime
True, a better way to say it would be base character villains as those are alts.

That said, I would like to see more villains as well, I'm personally rooting for Eggman.

So this was found, a post from October 6th, right after the Steve presentation.
Yes, from 5chan.
Make of that what you will.

39 :名無しさん必死だな:2020/10/06(火) 02:04:48.28 ID:aZ22kCgS0.net
ソニーっていうかセフィロスとクラッシュ来るよ
残りはこの2体と東方の霊夢とゼノサーガのKOSMOS
かなり攻めたラインナップだから荒れそう
Mii衣装から参戦することは残念だけどないです

Not really Sony reps, but Sephiroth and Crash are coming.
The remainings are these two and Reimu from Touhou and KOSMOS from Xenosaga.
The lineup is trying way too hard to play to the crowd so it won't be pretty.
Unfortunately, there won't be any promotions from Mii costumes.

http://anago.2ch.sc/test/read.cgi/ghard/1601895454/39
Hm, I'm on the fence with this.

On the one hand, getting Sephiroth is not an easy guess. He was a popular character, but he was also considered very unlikely due to the idea that we wouldn't get two unique characters per third party series. That said, we have gotten rumors that have gotten an unlikely character right just to be false in the long run. For instance, one of the first popular Ultimate DLC rumors we had was a Japanese rumor that had gotten Joker right, who was also commonly dismissed beforehand, but got details on him wrong such as Jack Frost not being present. Similarly, a 4chan rumor had gotten Terry right despite the speculative community being completely on the Tekken/RE/Crash/etc. train, but said Ryu Hayabusa would be next which ended up being Byleth. In both cases they got a character that was deemed unlikely/overlooked, but failed to maintain credibility as more information came out.

In the end, the best way to approach this rumor would be to keep it in mind, but don't treat it as a true leak yet. Getting Sephiroth right is a major boon to it that shouldn't be ignored, but it has to consistently to be legitimate. So until we see the next character it's still only a viable rumor.

D

Deleted member

The idea of a Capcom character in this pass being anyone that isn't Dante just sounds like a comical failure to read the room. And I don't even care much for him or DMC.
I don't get it. Why are you saying Dante is the most likely Capcom character compared to Monster Hunter?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's weird, I love Monster Hunter and I would be elated if they got in, but now I don't think their chances are that great as opposed to how I was feeling earlier in the year. It's strange seeing him as a frontrunner now though.
This post gives off a similar feeling to this

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Small tangent, but I've seen several posts before about how there's a certain unrealness about Sephiroth being in. I mean, he's a very popular character, so it's weird to see that he didn't get much support or discussion beforehand.

Aside from the fact that he's from Square-Enix (and that other SE characters were frontrunners of speculation), I feel the main "unrealness" factor about Sephiroth can be attributed to the fact that he's usually portrayed as a super overpowered boss in any game he appears in. It felt like for Sephiroth, he was in the same "boss character" situation as Ridley, in that he would've simply been too overpowered as a character, at most I would've pictured him as a boss of some kind ala Dracula or Marx. However, I'm glad that Sephiroth's moves shown so far have that appearance of over-the-top power that I know him for. I'm personally very excited to see what his moveset looks like in more detail next week.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Okay, but this time, the evidence is pretty large.

I mean the wave of amiibos releasing on the same date as Monster Hunter: Rise is very suspicious. Also, Nintendo pushed Monster Hunter: Rise so hard, they even gave it its own direct.

I will say I agree with unpredictability. The only character that I feel is "likely" at this point is Monster Hunter. For everyone else, it is just random.
I would assume the dates line up because it makes more fiscal sense to ship the MH Rise amiibo and the Smash amiibo together considering they come from the same manufacturer, go to the same retail locations, and are handled distribution-wise by the same company. It's not the first time amiibo from different series have launched together, there's a financial aspect which incentivizes it.

Something else to keep in mind is MH Rise's release has been murmured to correspond with release of new Switch hardware (or at least it was pre-covid-shuffle). We don't have the full picture of what else is releasing around then yet, so any connections made are with only partial info.

And the reason it's getting pushed hard is because it's a (temporarily) exclusive MH game. You've seen Capcom's internals, they expect that thing to sell like 10 million units. And MH is a huge series, so on those grounds you've got an edge, but Nintendo association is not the relevant factor it was once believed to be.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You know, I got a bone to pick with you guys...it’s like you WANT me to retire.

I got 29 likes on that comment last night. It’s like...a passive aggressive sticky note left for me specifically...
EA61114D-0741-4699-AC56-DEDBA57D5CF2.jpeg

I don’t think you’ll get rid of me quite yet. I love talking about Smash too much!

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So how long has it taken anyone to stop predicting at some point?

Because Sephiroth is where I've stopped at. Sakurai is unpredictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom