• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Picture this:

It is March 2021. Nintendo put out a new direct, and you get to the part where they have one last announcement. Fade to black, the famous Smash cross shows up... And then you see this:
View attachment 295181

"I'VE COME TO MAKE AN ANNOUNCEMENT-"
If we get Eggman this is the only acceptable way to do it. There are quite literally no other ways to go about it.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Picture this:

It is March 2021. Nintendo put out a new direct, and you get to the part where they have one last announcement. Fade to black, the famous Smash cross shows up... And then you see this:
View attachment 295181

"I'VE COME TO MAKE AN ANNOUNCEMENT-"
Final Smash better involve all the different giant egg mechs like the Death Egg robot, Egg Emperor, and Egg Dragoon etc.
After those mechs finish beating up the fighters the Death Egg would close things off by firing it's giant laser at the planet in a DBZ style explosion.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Then watch Sakurai announce an Echo Pack or four individual DLC fighters. :p
I wouldn't mind an Echo pack depending on which characters become Echos. I mean, if Echos have shown anything:
-They don't need to be 100% accurate in terms of moves.
-They can allow a potential different playstyle which can be favourable to people who like the moveset, but not the playstyle, like with Marth/Lucina(with Marth's tip damage) and Roy/Chrom(with Roy wanting to be close and personal).
-They don't necessarily have to be the same hitbox or height, like with Peach and Daisy.

Basically, I honestly wouldn't mind them, especially since it would set back expectations and allow for more relaxing speculation.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Xenosaga itself might not be profitable, but they're still making and selling KOS-MOS stuff in 2020.
Plus, Smash generates attention by itself. Having Nintendo pay -your- workers to put one of your own characters into Smash, then having that inclusion work as advertisement for a remaster seems like a win-win move for Namco Bandai. It's a marketing campaign that pays you money, that probably changes the profitability just a bit.
Except they don't have one in development. And besides, it's Nintendo who's picking the characters, and they would probably choose a more relevant NB pick, and there's the chance that NB is gonna stick with just PAC-MAN.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I am kinda surprised Namco has been so hands-off with DLC so far. I get that it's Nintendo that pitches the fighter ideas to Mr. Sakurai, but surely if they really wanted a DLC slot they could shake Nintendo down for it; they only, uh, I dunno, are the ones developing the game, albeit under Mr. Sakurai's direction. Perhaps they've got something for later, or maybe they're just not terribly concerned about having one of their characters as DLC.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Xenosaga itself might not be profitable, but they're still making and selling KOS-MOS stuff in 2020.
Plus, Smash generates attention by itself. Having Nintendo pay -your- workers to put one of your own characters into Smash, then having that inclusion work as advertisement for a remaster seems like a win-win move for Namco Bandai. It's a marketing campaign that pays you money, that probably changes the profitability just a bit.
I've said this before, but KOS-MOS seems to be in a similar situation to Morrigan; The character is popular, but the games they're from are all but forgotten outside of dedicated gaming circles. Not too confident on her chances.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Sephiroth may also have been released around this time for Final Fantasy's anniversary. Though it's the anniversary of specifically the first Final Fantasy game, not FF7.
Wanna know what franchise is gonna have an anniversary next year?

1553132250320.png

yes I'm gonna be shilling eggman now

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Remember this?
View attachment 295184
(image from poster on Ryu Hayabusa support thread)
Not only has this here list already missed Min Min, but... if I went and compiled the biggest list of character names that I can, I probably wouldn't do too badly either. Roughly 40, that's a lot of shots. I understand what I just talking about only a little bit ago but this is just - yeah, haha.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Except they don't have one in development. And besides, it's Nintendo who's picking the characters, and they would probably choose a more relevant NB pick, and there's the chance that NB is gonna stick with just PAC-MAN.
Nintendo negotiating with other companies, yes. Maybe they think there's synergy with their own XB games and Bamco thinks "well we might as well get a slice of that pie too".

I've said this before, but KOS-MOS seems to be in a similar situation to Morrigan; The character is popular, but the games they're from are all but forgotten outside of dedicated gaming circles. Not too confident on her chances.
She's definitely not a shoe-in by any means. But a character who can sell based on her design alone is probably a decent candidate for inclusion.

D

Deleted member

With Sephiroth being revealed, this is the 2nd time speculation gets thrown to a curb over a character they didn't see coming, so it certainly makes me wonder whether or not people more or less have the same predictions but with 1 character cut or completely changed their predictions now.

For me, I'm still believing Double Dragon and Dynasty Warriors will get Challenger Packs, but I'm not so sure about Sword and Shield now. It just feels obvious for an Gen 8 Pokemon to be in Vol 2, but as time goes on and the less spots are available, it'll leave me wondering as to whether if another Pokemon is coming or not to the point that them being revealed for CP11 will be the most unpredictable outcome of all.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Popular character with a big fanbase from the Xenoblade fans. Xenosaga is also a big cult classic. Also KOS-MOS is cool in Xenoblade 2, so there's that as well.
Is... she? Within the Smash fanbase she usually places within the 40s-20s and externally apparently there was an insufficient amount of interested found in market research to remaster her games. She does have the tie to Monolith and Xenoblade... but that's not inherently relevant to the people making decisions.

There is some degree of cult appeal she carries, but she's certainly not within Namco's top brass, really.

I tend to agree that she's treated above her station within the fanbase, but it's not nearly as flagrant as it was circa FP5.

Literally the mascot character of Nintendo's current biggest subsidiary.
That would be a lot more meaningful if Monolith were the ones choosing the characters, or at least developing the game.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So I’m gonna throw something out there. Some might agree, others may not, but I think this what might shake up...everything.

This whole time we’ve looked for ways that characters could set up chances for another. If X character was picked, then that implies that Y has better chances. Nintendo is choosing the characters! Sakurai just goes with what they choose.

Here’s what I’m thinking. Sakurai has more say in some instances, and less in others. If we go with more simple explanations, it pieces things together quite smoothly. Some of this is based on rumors, but I think it’s at least plausible. This has only recently come to mind.

We know that Steve had been in the works for a few years, and that Banjo appears to be the point at which those deals really came together. It’s rumored that Sephiroth was the price of admission for Cloud to be in base roster (therefore couldn’t be paid DLC anymore), and there may be a connection to Hero? I don’t know exactly how that connects.

Min Min and Byleth appear to be “corporate” picks. Not necessarily marketing, but more that Nintendo straight up told Sakurai to choose them and add them, or at least it’s implied.

Joker and Terry believe to be outliers, but I don’t think they are. I believe Sakurai was given SOME freedom to choose fighters he wanted, so he picked Joker (loves the UI of Persona 5) and Terry Bogard (a favorite of his earlier years).

If you piece those all together, it makes for a relatively decent roadmap to...today. None of those reasons bear implications for a pick like Eggman (as fun as it is to think about tbh). They have incredibly easy explanations that are supported by things we know and can allegedly refer to.

As I said before, I think the implications this has are pretty massive. Basically, we’re about to all become nihilists. Nothing matters!

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The only thing I'll 100% go in on is that the next character is in March, if only because the Amiibo drop in March, and so far, Amiibo waves and character releases have gone nicely hand in hand with one another. That, and it's also well within the average as to when the next character would drop anyway.

After that, I'd say June. No idea if E3 will happen this year or not, but June seems like the most logical step.

After that, I have no idea, haven't speculated that far ahead.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Literally the mascot character of Nintendo's current biggest subsidiary.
Who is basically Namco Bandai's answer to Morrigan. The character themselves is popular, but their series is dead and unlikely to be resurrected. Plus, Xenoblade exists now.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Can anyone explain to me what makes KOS-MOS anything more than just another speculation darling in regards to her supposed chances?
The thing that makes people speculate about KOS-MOS is that she technically shares the same series as Shulk. KOS-MOS was in Xenosaga, who's series was done by the same group, Monolith Soft, who did Xenoblade. Alongside sharing a series with a Nintendo character, she's also appeared alot in Namco crossovers, from Soulcalibur 3, the Super Robot Wars series, Namco X Capcom, cameo appearances in the Tales series with herself in Tales of Hearts and her outfit in Tales of Vesperia, Project X Zone 1 & 2, and she's also made an appearance in Xenoblade 2 as one of the Blades you can get.
She is one of Namco's more commonly used cameos and she is also deeply loved by her creators at Monolith. And considering Namco is helping develop Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Monolith is owned by Nintendo, she's a popular choice when it comes to speculating Namco characters.
Remember this?
View attachment 295184
(image from poster on Ryu Hayabusa support thread)
As much as I want to give this some speculation, there's one particular character that I feel really hurts this. And that is Spyro. Like Spyro is popular over here in the West, but Japan, apparently, really does not like Spyro, after what happened with his games over there in terms of controls. And supposedly, there is no Japan localization of the Spyro Trilogy remake because of how disliked the Spyro games were. So it's hard to imagine Nintendo, a Japanese company, having Spyro as one of the names to pick from.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
The only reason I can see Kos-Mos being added to smash is that Nintendo wanted a Monolith Soft character and they suggested Kos-Mos. She is the “mascot” of their company.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
That would be a lot more meaningful if Monolith were the ones choosing the characters, or at least developing the game.
Sure they're not choosing the characters, but it's not like they have no voice at all. They've been extremely beneficial to Nintendo and have developed two mainline Zelda games for them. If they requested from Nintendo to add a specific Xeno character then I think Nintendo wouldn't throw that request in the garbage with no hesitation. Now whether Nintendo accepts their request or not is a whole other thing.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Maybe, but it's something concrete. Like Nintendo selling official merch of her is also something concrete, and her appearing as a playable character in Nintendo games this decade is also something concrete. That's far more than you can say for smash darlings like Geno and Isaac.

Shroob

Sup?
So I’m gonna throw something out there. Some might agree, others may not, but I think this what might shake up...everything.

This whole time we’ve looked for ways that characters could set up chances for another. If X character was picked, then that implies that Y has better chances. Nintendo is choosing the characters! Sakurai just goes with what they choose.

Here’s what I’m thinking. Sakurai has more say in some instances, and less in others. If we go with more simple explanations, it pieces things together quite smoothly. Some of this is based on rumors, but I think it’s at least plausible. This has only recently come to mind.

We know that Steve had been in the works for a few years, and that Banjo appears to be the point at which those deals really came together. It’s rumored that Sephiroth was the price of admission for Cloud to be in base roster (therefore couldn’t be paid DLC anymore), and there may be a connection to Hero? I don’t know exactly how that connects.

Min Min and Byleth appear to be “corporate” picks. Not necessarily marketing, but more that Nintendo straight up told Sakurai to choose them and add them, or at least it’s implied.

Joker and Terry believe to be outliers, but I don’t think they are. I believe Sakurai was given SOME freedom to choose fighters he wanted, so he picked Joker (loves the UI of Persona 5) and Terry Bogard (a favorite of his earlier years).

If you piece those all together, it makes for a relatively decent roadmap to...today. None of those reasons bear implications for a pick like Eggman (as fun as it is to think about tbh). They have incredibly easy explanations that are supported by things we know and can allegedly refer to.

As I said before, I think the implications this has are pretty massive. Basically, we’re about to all become nihilists. Nothing matters!
Way ahead of you

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I personally like to think Mario's narrow survival was hardly a fluke; more a deliberate move by Seph, a power move. Especially considering his entrance, and since Mario is typically positioned as the head honcho of this crew faced with baddies the likes Tabuu or Galeem.
I imagine quite the conversation was had via their eye contact alone.
"Took care of that little problem you had", haha.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
But what if they put EarthBound on the SNES Online service and push it since it did well on Wii U 🤔
Porky is more prominent in Mother 3, where he's the straight up main antagonist, while he's just a supporting antagonist in Earthbound.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
I still think we've probably got another heavy hitter left, and a mid-tier (not necessarily in that order; it'll be interesting to see what they do for the character that is/was originally scheduled for E3 2021). Then closing out on the lower side.

Of course it's Smash, so literally everything I just said could turn out being wrong.
I am kinda surprised Namco has been so hands-off with DLC so far. I get that it's Nintendo that pitches the fighter ideas to Mr. Sakurai, but surely if they really wanted a DLC slot they could shake Nintendo down for it; they only, uh, I dunno, are the ones developing the game, albeit under Mr. Sakurai's direction. Perhaps they've got something for later, or maybe they're just not terribly concerned about having one of their characters as DLC.
-Mid-tier addition
-No Namco rep yet
Untitled.png

I just wanted to shill Agumon again.

Shroob

Sup?
Even though I 'do' believe that Monster Hunter is next in line, I could also very well see them simply bringing the Mii costumes back.

Though, I will say, if there was ever a time to do so, it'd be with the supposed March character. Considering Rise's release date(And Switch exclusivity), that seems like the no-brainer time to include some extra promotional material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom