• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So now that we got over the shock phase can we start asking how the **** Sephiroth got in?
I legit did not expect this character to get in at all, what an out of left field pick.
I kinda see things going one of two ways:
  1. Sephiroth is merely the first in a larger trend of third parties franchises getting additional, unique playable characters. Perhaps Sakurai felt with all the third party series now in Smash, and how few boundaries are drawn between them and Nintendo characters, it was strange to limit them to one unique moveset. Alternatively, Sakurai may find having to constantly barter for new faces tiring or felt that continually pursuing new franchises would eventually have diminishing returns as more and more big and popular series get added to Smash.
  2. The theory about FP2 mostly being missed or unused content from the base game is right and Sephiroth is largely a trojan horse for content that would've represented Final Fantasy in the base game but they were unwilling to license unless Cloud was a DLC character. Obviously, this wouldn't work if "Everyone is here!" were to happen, so Sakurai may've just bartered down to what was in Smash for Wii U/3DS. From this perspective, Sephiroth not only gives FFVII a second chance at receiving proper representation but a new stage and popular fighter to go along with it.
Personally, I think it's a little from column A and a little from column B.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
In general I wish they weren't so afraid to be a little weird with alt colorations. It's not even just third parties you see it with; Ganondorf's alts are a travesty. You have seven spots for alternate color schemes; tackle as many different vibes as you can with those seven - you can do that with just palette swaps - I ain't asking for seven model edits.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I had no real wants before this reveal. Now, I really hope for any of the following to at least be one of the last three slots:
Dr. Robotnik/Eggman for Sonic
M. Bison or Akuma for Street Fighter
Bass & Treble for Megaman
Morrigan for Darkstalkers (not yet represented and not actually a villain in her series, but still want her despite being questionable for 'good girls and boys')
Hades or Medusa for Kid Icarus (not third party, but another villain I would like to see)

D

Deleted member

So before Steve, people were speculating Travis was a DLC character but ended up as a mii costume in CP7. After that Ryu was speculated as CP8, but it ended up being Sephiroth so that means wait, oh no................
I wouldn't count Ryu out just yet.

Right before Steve, Vergeben claimed that they were in talks over a new Koei Tecmo character. If they are in talks, they probably have not started animating or processing the character into Ultimate.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Well, I'm satisfied with this. While I'd have preferred a new series, I can't argue with one of the most iconic villains in all gaming.

Plus, now Final Fantasy will get the music and Spirits it deserves!

Bonus, a new barrier broken: A 3rd party game can have a 2nd character that's not just an Echo.

Please god, let him come with a Safer Sephiroth boss fight...

Give me a blocky Barret mii gunner, though.
Oh god, yes! And a Tifa Brawler!

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So before Steve, people were speculating Travis was a DLC character but ended up as a mii costume in CP7. After that Ryu was speculated as CP8, but it ended up being Sephiroth so that means wait, oh no................
Tifa, Barret, Hayabusa, Jonesy, Geno.

Enjoy your Mii costume wave.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Just watch. People are gonna be like "oh that means the next character is gonna be a villain" or "anime character". Maybe they'll even think that this means we're getting another (f)ATLUS character.
ShinyLegendary said:
I wouldn't count Ryu out just yet.

Right before Steve, Vergeben claimed that they were in talks over a new Koei Tecmo character. If they are in talks, they probably have not started animating or processing the character into Ultimate.
I thought he said nothing came of the talks though?
Icedragonadam said:
Oh yes!
1569344360715.jpg

Calane

Smash Ace
Nice of this trailer to clarify that Eleven, rather than Arusu, is only Hero's default for promotional reasons. Really, what an ugly design staring you in the face on the CSS.
DQR_Luminary.png
Man, leave my dude alone, lol. And his design ain't even bad. I actually think he looks really unique, which is cool.

I do wish he had the Erdwin set as an alt, though: Echoes_Of_An_Elusive_Age_Dragon_Quest_XI.jpg

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Man, seeing some of the video reactions to Sephiroth was pretty uplifting. It's pretty nice after everyone pretty much gave up when Jonesy was being hinted at. Some of you are already posting Max's reaction, but SCMJohnny's reaction was pretty great too.

Now we have to wait a week to see what the Mii Costumes, possible songs and release date are. And who will be the next big Mii costume after Sans, Cuphead, Vault Boy, Bomberman and Travis.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Just watch. People are gonna be like "oh that means the next character is gonna be a villain" or "anime character".
People always expect the next character to be like the last, it's nothing new.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Man, seeing some of the video reactions to Sephiroth was pretty uplifting. It's pretty nice after everyone pretty much gave up when Jonesy was being hinted at. Some of you are already posting Max's reaction, but SCMJohnny's reaction was pretty great too.

Now we have to wait a week to see what the Mii Costumes, possible songs and release date are. And who will be the next big Mii costume after Sans, Cuphead, Vault Boy, Bomberman and Travis.
First of all I'd be shocked if there were any costumes in the wave that weren't Square properties.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The term used for it doesn't make a difference to me.

People were using "new worlds" to explain why only specific characters were eligible. Now there's no merit to it anymore, and people can discuss characters who contradict that line of thinking without being told, "No, that's probably not going to happen because..."

It was one of the dozens of things limiting our discussions of other characters, and I'm glad it's gone.
Here’s the thing. The people who said those things weren’t limiting anything.

The “fan rule” designation comes from the people who disagree with them and need a term to make it sound bad. Anything other than that is nonsense, because I have never, among other people, ever called anything a rule. You, and other people, are the ones who do that.

In that respect, who is “limiting” the conversation? It’s not folks like me. I pose my opinion, say I disagree with what other folks say, and that’s that.

I’ve never dictated what anybody can think, want, or talk about. The only time that is even hinted at is when things get cast as fan rules by the same few people. Every. Single. Time.

It doesn’t have to be us vs. them, or other “team” stuff. Talk about who you want. If people agree with you, they will agree with you. If not, that’s ok too. We don’t need terms to cast shade at opinions we disagree with.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
On the topic of FP2 potentially using content that missed it's shot, d'you think the pass will be like that the whole way down, or might we get some characters who were only considered recently and added on after they decided to expand the post-FP1 DLC into a second wave?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I feel like the Chocobo hat is 100% coming back with Seph, it's way too obvious.

The big question is if Geno will be the PreMiium in the group or not. If he's not..... well, we another year of this lol.
SE content usually arrives in unison, and absent of content from other companies. If Geno doesn't show up as a costume, it means there's either another SE character coming afterwards (quite unlikely imo) or Geno's just been cut as a costume (also unlikely imo).

I anticipate we'll know his fate in a week's time.

And I anticipate it will be a long week.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I kinda see things going one of two ways:
  1. Sephiroth is merely the first in a larger trend of third parties franchises getting additional, unique playable characters. Perhaps Sakurai felt with all the third party series now in Smash, and how few boundaries are drawn between them and Nintendo characters, it was strange to limit them to one unique moveset. Alternatively, Sakurai may find having to constantly barter for new faces tiring or felt that continually pursuing new franchises would eventually have diminishing returns as more and more big and popular series get added to Smash.
  2. The theory about FP2 mostly being missed or unused content from the base game is right and Sephiroth is largely a trojan horse for content that would've represented Final Fantasy in the base game but they were unwilling to license unless Cloud was a DLC character. Obviously, this wouldn't work if "Everyone is here!" were to happen, so Sakurai may've just bartered down to what was in Smash for Wii U/3DS. From this perspective, Sephiroth not only gives FFVII a second chance at receiving proper representation but a new stage and popular fighter to go along with it.
Personally, I think it's a little from column A and a little from column B.
Column A is my wishlist for Smash 7.
I need my Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Bass, Wily, X, Zero, Chun-Li, Akuma, Gruntilda, Slime, Ms. Pac-Man, etc!
Edit: Also separate Hero into 4 unique fighters.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
View attachment 295039
Man, leave my dude alone, lol. And his design ain't even bad. I actually think he looks really unique, which is cool.

I do wish he had the Erdwin set as an alt, though: View attachment 295050
At least Kirby directly uses the Erdwin outfit as much as possible, which is a plus. :)

I wonder how many still confuse it for Erdrick's coronet, heh. Not that I can blame 'em. They're very very similar. Even the gemstone is more greenish than pure blue, which is very easy to confuse with the hard green that is on Erdrick's head.

On the topic of FP2 potentially using content that missed it's shot, d'you think the pass will be like that the whole way down, or might we get some characters who were only considered recently and added on after they decided to expand the post-FP1 DLC into a second wave?
If they all do fit that criteria, I don't think we'll know about it. The only character I can think of that 100% fit this is Rex. Ryu Hayabusa might, but we don't know how the talks went down (assuming they were actually real). Same with any other character. We don't know who was on Nintendo's wait list, assuming they even had one to begin with.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Blegh, woke up early, wonder what got annou-

IMG_20191107_100919.png

JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE **** JUST HAPPENED WE GET MORE THAN 2 SONGS, THEY SHANKED AERITH AGAIN, KILLED MARIO AGAIN, ****ING DELIVERED WITH THHE ACTUAL CHARACTER AS SEPHY LOOKS COOL AS ****, LIKELY INCLUDES BIRTH OF A GOD, AN UNDERRATED AS **** THEME AS IT'S THE ****ING CRATER, COMES OUT ON MY ****ING BIRTHDAY AND THERE'S A UNIQUE CHARACTER INTERACTION WITH CLOUD'S FINAL SMASH?!?!?!?

That being said his final smash probably isn't 2 minutes long 0/10

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm hoping to see fanart of Sephiroth use Supernova and the other characters panicking but end up playing cards waiting for the animation to finish already only for it to do only percentage damage like in the original.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
Man, they don't have any rules for this crap - if they want to do it, they're gonna do it, and it could be literally anything. All three characters so far have been complete surprises for Pass 2. Aint no one thought Min-Min, Steve, and Sephiroth were getting in, they weren't on anyone's minds except their fans.

Granted, Steve had a very large fan base, but be that as it may - my point is these three were big surprises for the fan base at large. It's practically a lottery - and what I mean is, clearly Nintendo knows what it wants, and they make these decisions with intent, but we, the fans, have no idea how to gauge Nintendo's decision making process, so we might as well throw darts when speculating characters. : P

I'm happy Sephiroth got in, I think he's a great inclusion, albeit not one I ever expected like so many others.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Can't wait for two whole additional midi tracks.
:yeahboi:

Really baffled that they still don't have English voices, surely they could have updated Cloud since he has a new VA and it looks like they're updating his final smash. Anyway, I don't really have much to say since I'm not a Final Fantasy fan, trailer was cool, slightly disappointed we didn't get another new franchise joining but alas. I'll be really disappointed if Sephiroth isn't broken as all hell, he's got a reputation to live up to with that Kingdom Hearts 2 fight.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I am excited for the spirits. One for each of the cast. Hopefully they use their Remake artwork. And give cloud a proper fighters spirit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom