• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I can’t wait for the Sakurai presents to see the music selection and Miis. Lots of juicy stuff could be there for future speculation. Watch it just be One Winged Angel though and I eat my own shoe as usual.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Nice of this trailer to clarify that Eleven, rather than Arusu, is only Hero's default for promotional reasons. Really, what an ugly design staring you in the face on the CSS.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
So now that we got over the shock phase can we start asking how the **** Sephiroth got in?
I legit did not expect this character to get in at all, what an out of left field pick.
Same dude. I know some people have suggested him as DLC a few times but I don't know, it seemed so far-fetched... I mean, I think I said a few days ago here that "Sonic or Street Fighter would probably be the first 3rd party series to get a 2nd unique character" and here we are.

The trailer was absolutely amazing. Hearing those first notes of One Winged Angel was for sure an experience lol

At the same time, I'm not gonna lie: I'm like super hyped for him, but part of me feels bad because getting another Square series or at least, another FF protag would have brought a more bit of variety. But still, Sephiroth is hype af.

I'm just really hoping for Square to go the SNK route and give Sakurai 20 or 30 songs from VII but also the entire FF series.

View attachment 295022

Gave Sephiroth the alt he deserves. (It's based on Vergil from Devil May Cry if you can't tell)
This makes me feel like Dante isn't going to happen.

:(

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If nothing else Sephiroth will greatly aid in the popularity of characters like Zero, Alucard, Chun Li and other Sonic characters next time around.

pretty crazy how Final Fantasy went from the least represented third party series to the most. Two uniques and two stages make up for the lack of minor content.
I'm glad it was Final Fantasy. If it wasn't Sonic that got the second unique character, I think FF was the next best choice given the size and popularity of the series.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Hope after this I can stop seeing people say FF music is owned by the composers.

Otherwise, I just have more ammo to refute that.
copyright.png

From the website's version of the trailer.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Well if we’re gonna get more characters from already-repped series, here’s my hopes:

Sonic: Tails, Eggman, Shadow

Mario: Waluigi, Geno, Toad, 8-Bit Mario

Zelda: Skull Kid, Midna, Tingle

EarthBound: Porky, Ninten, Giegue

Pikmin: Alph (separate him from Olimar), Louie, President, Bulborb, Plasm Wraith

Kirby: Adeleine, Marx, Dark Matter, Gooey, Animal Friends

Undertale: Sans & Papyrus, Frisk and Chara

that’s about it.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Yeah? I know several people who only or mostly play Nintendo games idk why it sounds so weird to you.
there is a difference between mostly and only.
my issue with it is when people get on the site to make predictions and they think certain characters are bigger than they are. like smash DLCis 1 of 2 thins. a videogame legend or a recent Nintendo release.
people argued with me on this site that a character like eggman is bigger than sephiroth.

7NATOR

Smash Master
there is a difference between mostly and only.
my issue with it is when people get on the site to make predictions and they think certain characters are bigger than they are. like smash DLCis 1 of 2 thins. a videogame legend or a recent Nintendo release.
people argued with me on this site that a character like eggman is bigger than sephiroth.
Eggman is bigger, or around the Same level as Sephiroth. He's been sonic's Villain since the First game, and is in Many forms of media

Also, I do wonder if Sephiroth will have Heartless Angel. That will be a Very Interesting move

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
HOOOOOOOO BOY I was not expecting THAT

That trailer was incredible (although I think the ending kind of dragged a bit, I was expecting something other than just his Final Smash when it went that long after the splash screen). Sephiroth looks really cool, and I'm excited to get more FF content in Smash. I haven't even played FF7 or FF7R yet, but I know the music is great, and it'll be good to have more than 2 songs on Midgar lol

I'm also sad because it most likely means that the Square reps I was hoping for won't get in, and I'm bracing for the return of the Lloyd Mii costume next week. That said, Sephiroth is definitely a cool inclusion, and honestly it makes me want to get FF7R. I watched the whole rest of the Game Awards afterwards since some people said there might be a second reveal at the end, but I should've just stopped after watching the reveal trailer.

(shout-out to Wooper Watch though :194:)

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Porky is like - my single favorite video game villain and yet I feel like he's wasted as a fighter rather than a boss - at least if you're going for his MOTHER3 incarnation. It's a similar situation to that of Marx, another character I really like, yet felt could best be done justice as boss, which he is! Then again, no sign there's any plans for DLC bosses so... maybe it'd be cool?

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm really confident we'll get at least 7 to 10 songs. I mean Sakurai, Nintendo and Square must be aware about all the jokes about "haha Cloud only has 2 songs". Also because it was painfully obvious FF and it's music selection was really poor and lacking.

For that reason I wouldn't believe at all Sephiroth getting only 2 songs or something like that.

Also I'm expecting a Barrett Mii Gunner Costume and a Mii Brawler Costume for Tifa.

D

Deleted member

Remember when people argued

"The 2nd pass probably will have picks that cost less to include since it's the 2nd wave of DLC, and less people working on the game."

And then we got Steve and Sephiroth back to back.

And then you realize the pass is only halfway over?

Yeah
Now we can argue the last 3 characters are on a stricter budget and cost way less to produce than Steve and Seph :4pacman:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Alright. The dust is settled so I'll post my thoughts on the reveal.

Amazing. Utterly amazing pick. Sephiroth is one of the most well known and beloved villains of gaming. To call him a gaming all-star is.. putting it lightly. Of the villains in Smash, only Bowser beats him in terms of recognizability, while Ganondorf stands nicely beside him. This is a big deal. People wanted more villains and people wanted more big picks. You got both. We're eating good tonight. The villain line up is looking amazing. :ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultganondorf::ultkrool::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultwolf: and finally :ultsephiroth:

Best part is, this opens the door for characters from already represented third party series. Sephiroth has broken the barrier for unique newcomers from franchises like Sonic, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Metal Gear and the like. Eggman and Tails may actually have shots AND I LOVE THAT!

On top of all of that, Final Fantasy VII is a special game to me. I originally thought it was some overrated edgy tripe. But then I actually played it, and fell in love with the game and its characters. It's one of my favorites RPGS of al time. And a big part of that is how utterly horrifying Sephiroth is as a villain.

Great reveal. 9/10

Only could have gotten better if Lloyd or Phoenix Wright was announced.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
1607653209302.png

OH MY

Anyways, now that my hype is no longer overflowing and I can speak coherently again, here's an overview of the cool new stuff:
  • The usage of Galeem and that brief moment with Pit are some nice foreshadowing for Sephiroth, what with the wings and all.
  • Oh lord that range
  • Sephiroth's sword can stick to walls in at least one move, much like Corrin's side special.
  • Seph can sprout his signature one wing. Maybe it's metered, maybe it's a special that gives a temporary power boost on command, I don't know.
  • I missed it because it was a split-second thing but we got a quick view of his stage. I believe it's called the Northern Crater?
  • For once, we didn't end with Sephiroth's Final Smash-We ended with Cloud's. Either Omnislash Ver. 5 is a cool little easter egg, or we're getting alternate Final Smashes. Either way, it's pretty cool.
  • That being said, it did seem like we got a glimpse of Seph's final smash at the end of the trailer. Safer Sephiroth and/or Supernova, I presume.
  • Interestingly, the splash title was just Final Fantasy rather than specifically Final Fantasy 7. Perhaps we'll get some general representation for the franchise?
  • k i r b i r o t h
  • My word this guy is SHREDDED
  • Steve and Alex look... Disappointed
    1607658027392.png
As for the speculation side of things:
  • We won't be getting solely 2010's characters. Fans of the classics can rest easy.
  • Characters from already-represented third-parties and non-protagonists are officially viable again. That being said, I'd like to point out that Final Fantasy 7 is horribly, horribly underrepresented. Sephiroth might as well be bringing a new world with him anyways. Still, I'll reserve judgement for after Sephiroth's overview; There isn't enough info to go off of yet.
  • Geno, 2B, Lara Croft, Neku, Crono, the Bravely cast, and possibly Sora... May they rest in peace. Sora might have survived through Disney, and Geno could pull through if his Mii Costume doesn't come back, but things are looking grim. See ya, guys. You had a nice run.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'm looking forward to the seven other shades of black Sephiroth will have for his alts.
He has a really nice - ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) - alt with one recolored version of it, but for the most part yeah, same problem Cloud has with really gritty alts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom