• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
There's Dante, Monster Hunter, Lloyd Irving, 2B, and even some lesser known Japanese characters like Arle, Sol Badguy, etc. Japanese characters also have the advantage of being easier to negotiate for.
i feel like any character from the west is p easy to negotiate for. like valve and id have both said they actively WANT their characters in smash.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I don't think it's a hint, but it's definitely a reference. It might be my Zoomer showing, but "woah" is one of the first things i think of when i think crash (along with "spin" and "annoying")

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Even with its inconvenient airing time for the Japanese audience, I am willing to guess the character will be one that appeals to them and the West.

One of the reasons Crash gets bandied about is because he's a notable Western character that fits that category. though that's no direct guarantee of anything.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
i feel like any character from the west is p easy to negotiate for. like valve and id have both said they actively WANT their characters in smash.
That's actually a sign against their inclusion, as characters were decided back in 2019. There's also the issue of language barriers and long distance flights, and the fact that the only Western developer with a character so far is Microsoft, a major Nintendo ally nowadays and we ended up getting an honorary Nintendo character and a rep of the literal best selling game of all time. I'm betting on a Japanese character being revealed today.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
its like when people used the purple and yellow chairs as proof for waluigi. big strech
A blatant allusion to a specific character is in no way comparable to a color scheme of background chairs.

for hecks sake stop making it the meme. he's known for saying It in his games, that's what would matter.
Him being known for saying it is why it's a meme, and the meme has made the word even more associated with him. It's a cyclical thing, so they both matter.

Last time they showcased Joker from Persona 5, and in 2019 it could have been Byleth, but they decided against that.
What does that have to do with anything? Joker was quite popular in the west, and Byleth wasn't at The Game Awards at all. It doesn't really say anything about what I was talking about.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Bile stung a little even as their own livestream. If they were planned as TGA reveal in the first place that's kind of hilarious.

New leak supposedly shows Hatsune Miku for Smash
Wouldn't even be mad. Vocaloid ain't a video game though and it's the debut that matters.
Are you joking I have no idea if you're joking or what

Last edited:

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
A blatant allusion to a specific character is in no way comparable to a color scheme of background chairs.

Him being known for saying it is why it's a meme, and the meme has made the word even more associated with him. It's a cyclical thing, so they both matter.

What does that have to do with anything? Joker was quite popular in the west, and Byleth wasn't at The Game Awards at all. It doesn't really say anything about what I was talking about.
clearly his reaction to the wonder woman movie is a hint to crash being in the wonder woman movie

Nartic

Smash Cadet
Your anti-Crash bias is corrupting your post.

There have been hints. Remember Kirkhope and his hints towards Banjo-Kazooie?

And plus, like I keep on saying, there is no other character that is just as perfectly aligned with the phrase "Woah" is Crash Bandicoot is.
Grant never gave a hints.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Honestly in terms of possible Western characters left, Crash is the one with the biggest chances. Jonesy is feeling like a highly pessimistic choice and if I remember correctly, Doom Guy was deconfirmed a while back, though who knows if that has any credence. It could be someone like Shantae and Rayman but I have doubts on those two.

With Eastern choices the pool is much, much wider. It can be Dante. It can be Hayabusa. It canbe Sol Badguy It can be Kiryu despite those comments. It can be Arle. Maybe the world will spin and we may even get Reimu off the VGAs somehow. There's just a much wider pool when it comes to Eastern characters in general here which makes pinpointing a possible choice harder.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Even with its inconvenient airing time for the Japanese audience, I am willing to guess the character will be one that appeals to them and the West.

One of the reasons Crash gets bandied about is because he's a notable Western character that fits that category. though that's no direct guarantee of anything.
But wasn't he popular in Japan only in the 90s? IRCC, N.Sane Trilogy was a flop there.

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
Honestly in terms of possible Western characters left, Crash is the one with the biggest chances. Jonesy is feeling like a highly pessimistic choice and if I remember correctly, Doom Guy was deconfirmed a while back, though who knows if that has any credence. It could be someone like Shantae and Rayman but I have doubts on those two.

With Eastern choices the pool is much, much wider. It can be Dante. It can be Hayabusa. It canbe Sol Badguy It can be Kiryu despite those comments. It can be Arle. Maybe the world will spin and we may even get Reimu off the VGAs somehow. There's just a much wider pool when it comes to Eastern characters in general here which makes pinpointing a possible choice harder.
doomguy was unconfirmed in 2018 iirc...

its been a while since then.

honestly I'm so tired of the confirmed/deconfirmed crap cuz every time we're frickin wrong.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Can we even be certain Geoff knows who it is? It's quite possible he does and was shown the trailer privately but for all we know he could've just been told how long the trailer was so he knew where it was going to fit exactly.
Edit: I stand corrected, this is probably not the case.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
But wasn't he popular in Japan only in the 90s? IRCC, N.Sane Trilogy was a flop there.
If that's the case he's probably at worst Banjo-Kazooie level of familiarity, which feels like as far as Nintendo's willing to go for Western Appeal DLC characters.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
OK, shifting the conversation of whether or not a hint was given, if we did get Crash, do you think he would be based off of his older appearances, or his appearance from Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time!?
Given the timing I could see it more based on the N'Sane Trilogy with whatever token elements they could include from 4 in any small way.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Can we even be certain Geoff knows who it is? It's quite possible he does and was shown the trailer privately but for all we know he could've just been told how long the trailer was so he knew where it was going to fit exactly.
There is a very good chance he might know who it is since he hinted at Joker back in the 2018 game awards as ProfPeanut posted.

Okay, huh. That's definitely for consideration. Crash would fit the environment very much too, since Crash has delivered a lot of news via Geoff Kieghley's doorstep.

I would also like to submit the evidence that he once made this particularly-apt comment on the evening before Joker's reveal:

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice
Geoff knew about Joker, he's said before that Nintendo contacted him one week before the announcement at that year's Game Awards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom