• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Random thought, I know, kinda going off track but I was thinking a bit to myself about this yesterday. If Geno gets in at any point I doubt he'd be considered a Super Mario series rep in-game and in promotional material. He'd probably be explicitly labelled a "Super Mario RPG" rep (maybe even SUPER MARIO RPG in all caps) with a series icon specific to that game. Just a gut feeling I have, just given the strangeness surrounding him and the rights to him.
If the Mii costume's any indication, his reveal would be "Super Smash Bros. x Super Mario RPG", but if his spirit's any indication, he'd still be considered a Mario character as opposed to being considered part of a separate series.

D

Deleted member

Woah
There is a difference.

Geoff is being excited towards Wonder Woman at that tweet, so he would say "Woah", because he is excited.

Geoff was answering a question, not responding to something hype. And the question was based off Smash Bros in the Game Awards.

Considering Crash is well known for the "Woah" meme, I think Crash Bandicoot is CP8.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Didn't need that Geoff Keighley tweet, it has engaged my unreasonable expectations drive. Crash is pretty much the best case scenario for me.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I also don't see two Western characters being revealed back to back. I expect a Japanese character to be next.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Holy moly, we're actually getting a reveal. Though, we actually know it so it won't have Joker's impact. Still pretty cool though, let's see where this goes.

Whoever this is, they're "big".

Last edited:

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
There is a difference.

Geoff is being excited towards Wonder Woman at that tweet, so he would say "Woah", because he is excited.

Geoff was answering a question, not responding to something hype. And the question was based off Smash Bros in the Game Awards.

Considering Crash is well known for the "Woah" meme, I think Crash Bandicoot is CP8.
dude I really don't think he was answering the question. your signature is right, reading is a good thing, but don't read too far into things

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Okay, huh. That's definitely for consideration. Crash would fit the environment very much too, since Crash has delivered a lot of news via Geoff Kieghley's doorstep.

I would also like to submit the evidence that he once made this particularly-apt comment on the evening before Joker's reveal:

Last edited:

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Random thought, I know, kinda going off track but I was thinking a bit to myself about this yesterday. If Geno gets in at any point I doubt he'd be considered a Super Mario series rep in-game and in promotional material. He'd probably be explicitly labelled a "Super Mario RPG" rep (maybe even SUPER MARIO RPG in all caps) with a series icon specific to that game. Just a gut feeling I have, just given the strangeness surrounding him and the rights to him.
The Spirit is part of the Super Mario series.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
There is a difference.

Playing devil’s advocate here, the post he was responding to had two sentences — the first was a statement saying there would be a new fighter revealed. The second was the question. His “Woah” could be in response to the first

7NATOR

Smash Master
If what happened Steve happens here again where they tie a Sakurai presents after the Smash reveal, but before a Livestream related to the character, Than I actually think it Might be Lloyd, since there is a Stream for Tales of on the 15th (and the guy that made Symphonia will be there)

Otherwise, I'm thinking Dante, Or Perhaps a Shooter Character, Like Fortnite, Apex, or Overwatch, I'm going with the middle option

I'm not gonna bet on Crash, But I Might pay dearly for that

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I'm open minded about a lot of stuff, but be sure if it's Geno as a Square rep or something from a free to play IP like Fortine or League of Legends, I will be salty as heck.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Crash is (unfortunately) quite possible but this is just a ridiculous reach. The two of ya seem comically convicted about this. "Woah" as in, "Woah, a Smash reveal". A question was asked, he didn't answer it. If he was hinting, that blatantly, I'd bet he'd get in trouble, haha.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can't imagine Geoff is allowed to say who the character is, or hint at it so blatantly. I'd imagine this is closer to a crash disconfirm.
I mean didn't Kirkhope make huge hints towards Banjo-Kazooie before he was revealed?
Playing devil’s advocate here, the post he was responding to had two sentences — the first was a statement saying there would be a new fighter revealed. The second was the question. His “Woah” could be in response to the first
This is just speculation.

I think he was responding to the second.

Another thing to consider is that someone brought up that he loves Crash, and Crash Bandicoot is very well known for the "Woah" meme.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I also don't see two Western characters being revealed back to back. I expect a Japanese character to be next.
This is a western event though. It would make sense to reveal a more western leaning character here. And keep in mind this isn't the second western centric character in terms of appeal. Minecraft is huge everywhere.

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
I mean didn't Kirkhope make huge hints towards Banjo-Kazooie before he was revealed?

This is just speculation.

I think he was responding to the second.

Another thing to consider is that someone brought up that he loves Crash, and Crash Bandicoot is very well known for the "Woah" meme.
for hecks sake stop making it the meme. he's known for saying It in his games, that's what would matter.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This is a western event though. It would make sense to reveal a more western leaning character here. And keep in mind this isn't the second western centric character in terms of appeal. Minecraft is huge everywhere.
Last time they showcased Joker from Persona 5, and in 2019 it could have been Byleth, but they decided against that.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Oh, the Smash reveal is definitely gonna be at the tail end of the presentation; they're gonna want to hold onto the Just Here for Godzilla crowd. Might go to bed, I dunno.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
You know what? I want 2B, Estelle and Phoenix Wright but admittedly, as someone that plays Fornite, Having some of their skins would be ****ing awesome in the game

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
Last time they showcased Joker from Persona 5, and in 2019 it could have been Byleth, but they decided against that.
i dunno that there are many more eastern characters that are really wanted or hyped anymore. maybe I'm nuts but I think we're going to see more western reps.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
honestly my take on geno is if he were to be in hed BE IN by now.
That same logic could be used with quite literally any character who isn't currently playable in Smash. (ex. "I don't think they're going to include any Zelda newcomers. If they were going to be in, they'd be in by now!" or "I don't think Dante is going to be in Smash. If he was going to be in the game, he'd be in by now!") It doesn't really work.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Crash is (unfortunately) quite possible but this is just a ridiculous reach. The two of ya seem comically convicted about this. "Woah" as in, "Woah, a Smash reveal". A question was asked, he didn't answer it. If he was hinting, that blatantly, I'd bet he'd get in trouble, haha.
Your anti-Crash bias is corrupting your post.

There have been hints. Remember Kirkhope and his hints towards Banjo-Kazooie?

And plus, like I keep on saying, there is no other character that is just as perfectly aligned with the phrase "Woah" is Crash Bandicoot is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
i dunno that there are many more eastern characters that are really wanted or hyped anymore. maybe I'm nuts but I think we're going to see more western reps.
Reimu is an eastern character and while maybe a bit of an underdog, feels more plausible than ever.

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
Oh, the Smash reveal is definitely gonna be at the tail end of the presentation; they're gonna want to hold onto the Just Here for Godzilla crowd. Might go to bed, I dunno.
I'm probably pulling an all nighter anyway so doesn't matter to me tbh

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
There's Dante, Monster Hunter, Lloyd Irving, 2B, and even some lesser known Japanese characters like Arle, Sol Badguy, etc. Japanese characters also have the advantage of being easier to negotiate for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom