• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I personally don't think it'll be Jonesy because this audience is filled with adult XBox, Playstation, and Smash fans. This is the last audience that would give a crap about Fortnite. If he shows up at all, I don't think it'll be here.
Yeah, as Fortnite is most appealing to younger audiences. I think that this character will appeal more to the older crowd.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I know that given recent events suggesting that Nintendo is wants to please fans in a public way sounds remarkably foolish, but outright stating there's a Smash Fighter reveal at the Game Awards has me thinking its a character many people would be somewhat happy with. Whether that's hardcore fan favorite or just a generally popular third party I don't know.

I guess its potential naiveté on my part thinking that they wouldn't be promoting a character this bigly if they' knew it would be get that much backlash when shown off.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'd say Geno is probably the best-case scenario here. But I'd expect a more TGA-y pick if we're being honest. But maybe that's not as relevant as I'm thinking it is, I don't know. I can tell you it won't be [REDACTED]ing Jonesy but other than that it's feeling real up in the air.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
If fortnite gets in smash before doom or tf2 it will actually prove to me Nintendo doesn't give a dang about representing the gaming industry, just what sells copies.
Wait, wait...

Are you trying to imply that corporates try to make money?! I've heard a lot of crazy theories in this thread but this one takes the cake.

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
I mean we just got Steve, and he is a massive part of the gaming industry.
ok sure but fortnite, is a trend. that's all it really ever was, this coming from someone who played it. When it comes down to it steve was just super popular trendy guy as well, just most fans atm have nostalgia playing his game, but at least it had more longevity. If jonesy is the first proper shooter character in smash that's a massive mistake.

D

Deleted member

Okay, that's it.

I'm jumping on the Crash Bandicoot train. It is Crash Bandicoot for sure.
The "exciting" post from Zhuge leaves some questions to be answered though.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
ok sure but fortnite, is a trend. that's all it really ever was, this coming from someone who played it. When it comes down to it steve was just super popular trendy guy as well, just most fans atm have nostalgia playing his game, but at least it had more longevity. If jonesy is the first proper shooter character in smash that's a massive mistake.
Especially considering that's a title that is much more deserving for Doomguy or Master Chief.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I have no expectations going into tonight.

Which is what I would say if I wasn't already 100% certain that Rayman is getting revealed tonight because my definitely not very biased brain said so LET'S ****ING GO

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
Especially considering that's a title that is much more deserving for Doomguy or Master Chief.
well exactly, crap I could name 5 more shooter characters that deserve it more than jonesy.

frigging duke nukem deserves it more

and I think its hard to be below that

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
Silver lining if Crash Bandicoot gets in: next 3 characters confirmed to be Not Crash Bandicoot.
truueeee but I think it might deconfirm anything at the awards. i really think if a character from this awards (DOOMGUY) would get revealed its the perfect op to do it, I mean heck, they did it with joker

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
truueeee but I think it might deconfirm anything at the awards. i really think if a character from this awards (DOOMGUY) would get revealed its the perfect op to do it, I mean heck, they did it with joker
Persona 5 wasn't actually nominated at TGA 2018, it was nominated at TGA 2017.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

SKX31

Smash Master
Yeah. Minecraft is the literal best selling game ever, with over 200,000,000 copies sold (Grand Theft Auto V is in second place with 135,000,000 copies sold) and is a merchandising juggernaut that is still massively popular even nine years after it's original release. Fortnite can't even compare to that.
If I may be blunt: it'd be much better to return to this comparision when Fortnite's (and PUBG for that matter) as old as Minecraft is now (by around 2025 that is). As someone who is a fan of a previous "It's popular because it's popular" genre (MOBAs), it's always a good idea to wait with those comparisions until the dust has settled somewhat and the genre is seen as more established.

Or it could be Ratchet & Clank. Unexpected yet welcome.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Where's that screencap of Geoff Keighley from? Would be weird to give it away just like that, as none of his other tweets seem to tease to that degree.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm reluctant to go all in on any character beyond the idea that I think it'll be one of some significance to a broad audience. Smash has thrown too many curveballs for me to definitively say it would be a Crash or a Dante. It is Nintendo, and the possibility of some dark horse choice that's still a delightful surprise to many is very much a possibility to me.

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
I'm reluctant to go all in on any character beyond the idea that I think it'll be one of some significance to a broad audience. Smash has thrown too many curveballs for me to definitively say it would be a Crash or a Dante. It is Nintendo, and the possibility of some dark horse choice that's still a delightful surprise to many is very much a possibility to me.
like, say, the heavy from tf2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom