• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylexv

Smash Master
time for a fun game. Click this link, whatever you get will be the next DLC fighter
Perfection

1607564731752.png

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
An artist on Twitter did a moveset for Kiryu.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
time for a fun game. Click this link, whatever you get will be the next DLC fighter
I got Chrom

1607565394918.png

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Bust-a-Move

Alright, so it's Bub and Bob.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
JetJagar.jpg

This one's pretty cool. Usually I'm wary about gimmicks in fan movesets out of fear that they'll be too clunky and overbearing, but this one is implemented fluidly and fits perfectly in a fighting game. The other specials help complement the neutral special and the Heat gauge, and I don't know what's funnier: Kiryu recovering by punching an explosive barrel or him pulling a bicycle out of nowhere and clubbing you with it.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I really like this concept for Kiryu. It feels very intuitive and natural.
Personally, I had another idea where he'd switch between his Yakuza 0/Kiwami stances and he had to fill the heat bar to activate his Dragon of Dojima/Legend style.

Also this is hilarious:
1607566018956.png
1607566046841.png

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Personally, I had another idea where he'd switch between his Yakuza 0/Kiwami stances and he had to fill the heat bar to activate his Dragon of Dojima/Legend style.

Also this is hilarious:
View attachment 294715View attachment 294716
YEET THE PIKA

PUNCH THE KIRB

SNEKeater

Smash Master
That moveset concept is really great. Easy to understand, unlike other fan movesets that, while really cool and have a lot of work behind, sometimes are hard to understand what they're trying to explain, specially if you're not familiar with the character or the series the fighter comes from.

Also this is hilarious:
View attachment 294715View attachment 294716
That would be indeed an interesting idea. Thing is, I'm not sure Sakurai would make that approach for Kiryu. His different stances are really cool but they're not really the best depiction of the character IMO. Mostly because the stance thing is only a Yakuza 0 thing. Also Kiwami, but the original Yakuza 1 never had stance switching.
His Dragon of Dojima fighting style is the more iconic one and the one he carries through all the series, in all mainline games, even 0. It's basically his default fighting style.

After seeing this concept I actually believe it's the best idea I've read for Kiryu in Smash lol. Though I'm not entirely convinced with the Final Smash, not because it isn't a cool idea but because it would be a ton of work for the devs, I think.

Granted, now I can't come up with a better alternative. Maybe using a big QTE moment from one of his epic fights in the series? one that could be easy to translate, as his Final Smash, seems like a possibility to me,

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That would be indeed an interesting idea. Thing is, I'm not sure Sakurai would make that approach for Kiryu. His different stances are really cool but they're not really the best depiction of the character IMO. Mostly because the stance thing is only a Yakuza 0 thing. Also Kiwami, but the original Yakuza 1 never had stance switching.
Well actually
(Spoilers for Yakuza series)
(Specifically Yakuza 7)
Kiryu's most recent appearance in Yakuza has him use styles as phases to his boss fight. He goes from a normal unnamed style to Rush style to Beast style to finally ending on his iconic Dragon of Dojima style.

so I think they probablyt still associate Kiryu with that, at least somewhat.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Well actually
(Spoilers for Yakuza series)
(Specifically Yakuza 7)
Kiryu's most recent appearance in Yakuza has him use styles as phases to his boss fight. He goes from a normal unnamed style to Rush style to Beast style to finally ending on his iconic Dragon of Dojima style.

so I think they probablyt still associate Kiryu with that, at least somewhat.
True, you have a fair point there. Didn't mentioned 7 to avoid spoilers because not everyone knows Kiryu appears in 7.
I finished Yakuza 7 recently and when I got to that part I was honestly surprised his boss fight used his stances from 0. The first style doesn't have a name, indeed, but it basically was using his moves and attacks from 6.

I think the reason they added style switching to his boss fight is that they work very well for a turn based boss with different phases. Also I believe that 0 being one of the most popular entries helped as well haha

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
King of the Monsters 2 took forever to add this ****ing image
****ING HATE THIS IMGAE AGH.png

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master

Wow Helix got screwed over hard. First Min min gets in over him and now his own stage gets in over him.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
hey, nintendo didn't do anything scummy today! That's good.
Haha you said ***
Actually... that sounds kind of cool.

Last edited:

PacificFun

Smash Ace
I got Diddy Kong

KillerCage

Smash Master
1607573248290.png

Sunano'o hates this outcome.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Right here:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Aside from that, the guy has had a less than graceful response to any critics, going as far as to claim that "Iwata would've loved his Etikons." You do not get to put words in a dead man's mouth. Doesn't help that this happened in September, meaning he only dredged it up now, three months later, for clout.

That, and the issue was the use of the Joy-Con branding. Apparently, Nintendo just didn't want their property namedropped on the shells, meaning things got blown out of proportion.

At least, I think that's how it goes. Did I get anything wrong?

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Clearly this is hinting that we'll get a character reveal tomorrow, by referencing their previous TGA announcee, Joker.
I honestly thought this in the back of my mind unironically but soon flushed it out because I know Sakurai doesn't do **** like that.

We're probably not getting a reveal tomorrow so hopefully Nintendo has more substantial presence this year at least.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
But why would you advertise Custom Robo if I can't play it on your newest console? Mind you if this was the base game, I wouldn't be saying this.
You're expecting a Banjo game on Switch then?

Too critical of Nintendo characters and not critical enough of third party characters.
That's because there's still tons of iconic 3rd party characters not in Smash, while any Nintendo character that's not a D-lister is already in Smash.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I got Kaiju-Oh Godzilla.

Godzilla would be the best choice for a non-videogame rep.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Right here:
...Wow. It was bad enough that Nintendo had to take it down, but it wasn't even all for charity? Or at least half or most of it?

Ugh. That sucks. I actually had some sympathy here, but not anymore. And then he goes and smears Iwata's good name. Jeez. -_-

I hate Trademark law(I made an error on how it works. It's not "forced to cause you could lose it", it's "forced to because you have to defend them all, otherwise you'll not be able to keep defending them. No exceptions"). I mean, it sucks either way, but I can understand that a bit better. If you have no loyalty to your own IP, then you shouldn't be surprised that others can use it. Copyright is even more confusing, honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom