• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With all the talk of recent and relevant characters possibly coming after Steve, I'm almost expecting the next choice to be some random retro choice that speculation has rarely brought up.

Enjoy your rep/s from Activision Blizzard, everybody.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
With all the talk of recent and relevant characters possibly coming after Steve, I'm almost expecting the next choice to be some random retro choice that speculation has rarely brought up.

Enjoy your rep/s from Activision Blizzard, everybody.
I forgot they used to be known as Interplay

Ornl

Smash Ace
Space Invaders : referencing trivia
Recently added: Pioneer ; Splatoon.
Don't hesitate to copy, correct and complete.

sakurai si.jpg
miyamoto si.jpg

Pioneer
• In Japan, the Space Invaders creator Tomohiro Nishikado is The Pioneer of Japanese Video Games.*
He was designer the early team sport games Soccer then Davis Cup (1973), the early scrolling racing video game and the first to be exported Speed Race (1974), the early dual-stick on-foot multi-directional shooter Gun Fight (1975), and the first-person combat flight simulator Interceptor (1975).
• Space Invaders was the first game to:
– be fixed shooter and set the template for the shoot 'em up genre.*
– popularize the concept of achieving a high score, save the player's score, end when the player loses (making it the first endless game).*
– sell over a million cartridges ; it's the first official licensing of an arcade game for consoles to become a "killer app" for video game consoles after quadrupling the Atari 2600's sales.*
– use a continuous background soundtrack.*
– with an original creative universe, instead of being a simulation of something that exists.*
• Unless I'm mistaken, Space Invaders holds the record for the oldest video game series in the world still active.

Nintendo History
• Nintendo decided to go into the video game business when Space Invader appeared.*
• Hiroshi Yamauchi created the Famicom after making Space Invaders the subject of study among his employees, which caused them to become obsessed.*
• Shigeru Miyamoto stated that he wasn't interested in video games until he discovers Space Invaders.*
• Satoru Iwata's interest in making video games grew in 1978, when the Space Invaders boom took hold.*
• Koji Kondo was inspired by Space Invaders and Donkey Kong arcade series to become a video game composer.*

Sakurai Focus
• Masahiro Sakurai mentioned Space Invaders when he commented on the TV-Game 15 assist trophee in Smash Bros.*
• Masahiro Sakurai using Space Invaders in his talk on GDC Risk and Return from 500th column Famitsu livestream.*, °
• Masahiro Sakurai showcased some of his creations in Dragon Quest Builders 2. He "starts" on a Space Invaders sprite and ends by showing off the Super Smash Bros logo; would this be a parallel to his own journey in gaming? The invader boom occured in Japan when Sakurai was 8 years old.*

Nintendo Proximity
• Sheriff is a game influenced by Space Invaders; it appears in the Smash Bros series since Melee (except Brawl).*
• Galaxian is a game influenced by Space Invaders; Boss Galaga and 4 Galaxian sprites appear in the Smash Bros series since Sm4sh.*
• Taito appears in the Sm4sh and Ultimate credits. Taito's in-house sound department Zuntata has made six music remixes: Kapp'n's Song, The Mysterious Murasame Castle Medley, Wii Shop Channel (Remix), Staff Credits - Kirby's Dream Land, We Are Robots (Dr.Wily Stage 2) and Splattack! (Remix). Orville, the protagonist of Takt of Magic, appears as a spirit.*
• Space Invaders is one of the few series to appear on Virtual Boy, with the Bomberman and Shin Megami Tensei series.*
• Space Fever is a Space Invaders clone created by Nintendo, then Space Fever II is a minigame in the Game Boy Camera.*
• Space Invaders Get Even is the only game in which Space Invaders are playable and is a Wii Exclusive.*
• In addition to Bandai, Taito sells Nintendo goodies.

Others important facts
• Space Invaders series sales grossed over $14 billion, making it the 7th highest grossing series of all time, behind Mario, Pokémon, Call of Duty, Dungeon Fighter Online, Wii Series and Pac-Man.*, °
• Space Invaders is inducted into the World Video Game Hall of Fame, with Mario, Super Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon Red & Green, Sonic the Hedgehog, Pac-Man, Street Fighter II, Final Fantasy VII and Minecraft.*

Minor fun facts – Splatoon
• In a mission in the Octo Expansion, the layout and movement patterns of the Octocopters, the crates on the platform, and the appearance of stronger enemies on UFOs are all a reference of Space Invaders.*
• The name of the Squidvader Cap is a reference of Space Invaders*.
• Space Invaders inspired the street artist Invader, then Splatoon pays homage to him.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Not gonna lie.

Evil Trapezium Evil Trapezium 's memes have made me warm up to Time Splitters.

How can I play one of the Time Splitters games?
They have yet to get a rerelease. The only way to play them is by buying a sixth gen console or...something else...you know what...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Not gonna lie.

Afaik there's sadly no rereleases yet. The OG was released on PS2, TimeSplitters 2 is on PS2 and Gamecube, and Future Perfect (my personal recommendation and the one heaviest on Cortez) is on both the previous console plus the Xbox. So it might be backwards compatible on modern Xboxes?
Watch Fortnite crossover with Star Wars again but it’s by putting Jonesy in the Mandalorian.
This is not the way.

SKX31

Smash Master
I forgot they used to be known as Interplay
Interplay's a different company entirely - they were Blizzard's publisher during that time. Blizzard was first known as Silicon & Synapse, and developed the Lost Vikings under that name.

Not gonna lie.

Legally I presume (so no Dolphin)? I don't think that there's been an official re-release yet. Your best bet until that happens is to track down a sixth gen console (PS2 / XBOX / GCN) and a physical copy.

TimeSplitters 1 is rather basic in its design and it shows. 2 expanded on many major aspects of the series and gave an actual story. Future Perfect (aka. 3) is where all the Cortez gifs (as well as "TIME TO SPLIT!") come from. There is a major difficulty spike with the later story levels in 2 and FP (and the higher difficulties ramp things up further), as well as in 2's Mission Mode. I wouldn't say either 2 nor FP are impossible, but they're definetely not going to be a breeze to play through outside of Easy.

Both 2 and FP are great multiplayer games though, especially since both games come with a stage creator and a lot of different modes / weapons to experiment with. There are also some unique characters (a character whose face is a hand, for example), and it can get rather crazy.

TimeSplitters does have some very stereotypically "sexy" character models, but it's not a deal-breaker (for me personally, although I thought it was extremely odd when I first played 2) since it's not supposed to be 100 % serious to begin with, and there are quite a few more reserved character models too. I'm noting that since Free Radical did lean quite heavily into "We're going to market this game towards teen boys, especially the Riddick crowd" (what with Cortez looking like Vin Diesel and all).

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I’d like to see another character from the 2000s. Last 2000s-era character was Bayonetta iirc (2009)
I guess Reimu sorta counts? The first Touhou game was made in 1995, but the series didn't really solidify until after the shift from PC-98 to Windows in 2002, with only Reimu and Marisa (And later Alice and Yuuka) surviving the change. There was also a major change in design to go with it. Compare Reimu's first appearance with her most recent:
1607221356220.png
1607221551187.png

The recent 25th anniversary livestream still considers the PC-98 era the start of the series, but with (more than) just a little more stretching, we could argue that she's in a similar boat as Steve.
That and I just felt like plugging Touhou tonight

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Gonna be honest... this close up of Banjo:
A. Reminds me of Duck Amuck
B. Kinda terrifies me

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I feel like it has been a long time since Steve was announced, but in a grand scheme of things it might not have been so long. For CP8, I'm shooting for late January. Maybe even early February, but I don't think it'd be any later than that. CP9 and CP10 could be at E3 2021 (if there is an E3 2021), with CP11 coming in Q4.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I feel like it has been a long time since Steve was announced, but in a grand scheme of things it might not have been so long. For CP8, I'm shooting for late January. Maybe even early February, but I don't think it'd be any later than that. CP9 and CP10 could be at E3 2021 (if there is an E3 2021), with CP11 coming in Q4.
I don't expect an E3 double reveal because the releases are more spaced out than FP1's are.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I feel like if anything, the double reveal would be CP10 and CP11. CP9 would probably have a Spring release like with Joker, and so it would probably be revealed around then; Probably April or May. Plus, E3 could allow for a double whammy to finish off the pass.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I feel like if anything, the double reveal would be CP10 and CP11. CP9 would probably have a Spring release like with Joker, and so it would probably be revealed around then; Probably April or May. Plus, E3 could allow for a double whammy to finish off the pass.
I highly doubt that, as the reveals would be much more spaced out. I think that E3 would only have a single reveal, if there even is an E3.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
This dance embodies what I HATE about Fornite, it just screams "HAHAHAH LOL DUDEBRO douchebag" and I hate that that THING is one of the most popular things in gaming right now.

As for characters from the ‘00s, these two madlads are celebrating their 20th anniversary next year.

F92932B7-7177-4852-B505-9F758C81F1E9.jpeg

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
You heard it here first folks, were finally getting Mother 3.... in Smash

that’s right they’re making the full ass game of Mother 3 into a fighter

You know what? I’ll take it at this point. If Nintendo doesn’t want to acknowledge the series outside of Smash, so be it. Can’t wait to fight as a GBA Cartridge. It’s even got a built-in Final Smash, being literally how Mother 3 ends.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
They would if they were smart, as to mitigate backlash to whoever CP11 is. As the last character will get undeserved hate just for bringing unfulfilled hopes to a close. But timing may not be conducive to a double reveal if CP11 is still almost half a year away.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Talking about decades huh?

80s: :ultgnw::ultpacman::ultmario::ultdk::ultluigi::ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultpiranha::ultlink::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultridley::ultsimon::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultsnake::ultryu::ultken::ultlittlemac::ultmegaman::ultdaisy:
90s::ultmarth::ultdoc::ultyoshi::ultfalcon::ultsonic::ult_terry::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultwario::ultfox::ultfalco::ultmetaknight::ultrichter::ultness::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:):ultcloud::ultwolf::ultbanjokazooie::ultsheik::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultpichu:
2000s::ultvillager::ultolimar::ultroy::ultbowserjr::ultdarksamus::ulttoonlink::ultzss::ultike::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultrosalina::ultwiifittrainer::ultbayonetta:
2010s::ultshulk::ultsteve::ultdarkpit::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultrobin::ultisabelle::ultgreninja::ultinkling::ultcorrin::ultjoker::ultincineroar::ultminmin:ulthero::ultbyleth:

Clearly we've had more characters from the 20th century.
This is bull****. Not a single character from the 2020s??? Really disappointed in Sakurai.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Clearly this means uh... er...
Are there any 2020s games with characters that would look neat in Smash?
Zagreus from Hades had been brought up a couple times. But that’s a grey area since that game had a public alpha (?) in 2018.

There’s also Jin Sakai from Ghost of Tsushima. He has some cool moves that would make him stand out from his realistic appearance.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I highly doubt that, as the reveals would be much more spaced out. I think that E3 would only have a single reveal, if there even is an E3.
...You literally just said that right before my post.

Either way, Smash has generally had multiple reveals at E3. Starting from 2013, we have...
  • E3 2013 - Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer
  • E3 2014 - Palutena and the Mii Fighters (Plus Pac-Man at the Smash 4 roundtable)
  • E3 2015 - The return of Roy, as well as Ryu as a newcomer.
  • E3 2018 - A bit of an exception, as the only original character was Ridley, with Daisy being an Echo Fighter. That being said, I think the reveal of every fighter in Smash history more than makes up for it.
  • E3 2019 - Hero and Banjo
The gap between the releases of Min Min and Steve are about the same as Joker and Hero; About three months and a half. Based on that, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think that FP2 will start picking up from here, just like with the first pass. Assuming we get COVID under control by the time of E3 2021 and it isn't cancelled like last time, it would make sense to have multiple reveals to make a bigger impact.
They would if they were smart, as to mitigate backlash to whoever CP11 is. As the last character will get undeserved hate just for bringing unfulfilled hopes to a close. But timing may not be conducive to a double reveal if CP11 is still almost half a year away.
Good point. I was mostly thinking "Whoa, two characters! Awesome!" in terms of the wow factor, but you're right; A double reveal can help spread out the appeal, and take the hate off of CP11. Though, you're right that if all the fighters have the same gap as Min Min and Steve, there might not be enough time. Still, as I noted above, I believe that FP2 will hit it's stride soon like with the first, especially now that the devs should be adapting to long-distance work now.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I Mean, If Steve was meant for E3, That would mean a Majority of the Fighter Pass 2 Characters would be revealed at E3's (4/6), if the Multiple Character per E3 pattern is Still a thing

I Guess it could work out. But Honestly I think One of the E3's was bound to only have 1 character this time. I think 2020 was the Sacrifice. I also wonder if we could see FP11 by that time. It depends on whether the December date was just a Placeholder or an actual deadline, and how much of an effect Covid had.

Anyway, Apparently Natethehate, who's I believe has leaked stuff in the pass, Says TGA is Very Likely Place for Smash reveal, citing Nintendo being behind Schedule. I don't know if this is just guess/Prediction, or he's sure of this

Around 1:13:30

osby

Smash Obsessed
Clearly this means uh... er...
Are there any 2020s games with characters that would look neat in Smash?
If that's the only way we'll get a Yakuza character, Ichiban Kasuga is right there.

There's also Sakura Amamiya if we're looking at 2020 SEGA reboots.

EDIT: **** me, I forgot that the new Sakura Wars came out last year

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
...You literally just said that right before my post.

Either way, Smash has generally had multiple reveals at E3. Starting from 2013, we have...
  • E3 2013 - Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer
  • E3 2014 - Palutena and the Mii Fighters (Plus Pac-Man at the Smash 4 roundtable)
  • E3 2015 - The return of Roy, as well as Ryu as a newcomer.
  • E3 2018 - A bit of an exception, as the only original character was Ridley, with Daisy being an Echo Fighter. That being said, I think the reveal of every fighter in Smash history more than makes up for it.
  • E3 2019 - Hero and Banjo
The gap between the releases of Min Min and Steve are about the same as Joker and Hero; About three months and a half. Based on that, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think that FP2 will start picking up from here, just like with the first pass. Assuming we get COVID under control by the time of E3 2021 and it isn't cancelled like last time, it would make sense to have multiple reveals to make a bigger impact.
It wouldn't make sense because the releases for FP2 are far more spaced out than the releases of FP1, meaning that we could possibly wait even longer than Joker.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If that's the only way we'll get a Yakuza character, Ichiban Kasuga is right there.

There's also Sakura Amamiya if we're looking at 2020 SEGA reboots.
Isn't the new Sakura Wars from last year?

But yeah, Ichiban would be pretty cool (Even if all I know is that he sees everything as Dragon Quest and an overdramatic sequence of him eating egg fried rice that made me hungry).
It wouldn't make sense because the releases for FP2 are far more spaced out than the releases of FP1, meaning that we could possibly wait even longer than Joker.
uh
The gap between the releases of Min Min and Steve are about the same as Joker and Hero; About three months and a half.
We've had only two releases so far and the gap between them was the same as the gap between the first two of last pass. I wouldn't exactly call that "far more spaced out"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom