• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
While I doubt Kratos being in Switch-nite (I'm assuming this means he's in Xbox-nite as well) means he's guaranteed for Smash or anything... I do think it helps a little bit in regards to just Sony characters in general. If Kratos doesn't get patched out of all the non-PlayStation versions, then it shows Sony is willing to let their characters show up on other companies' consoles in some form. Again, no guarantees, but at least it could mean that Kratos, Ratchet & Clank, Nathan Drake, Sly Cooper, Sackboy, or any other Sony character in general aren't completely off the table for Smash.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I mean there is no proof that there will be a nintendo skin at all it's just an assumption. You're right Nintendo doesn't like series crossing over into other platforms so there probably won't be one at all.
I guess it really depends. None of us really expected Kratos of all characters to be on Nintendo Switch. Nintendo is pretty strict in regards to it's properties on other consoles, but if Sony of all companies is willing to allow Kratos on the Nintendo Switch through Fortnite, Nintendo may make an exception in exchange. But we'll have to wait and see what happens.

That said, considering it's rumoured that it's Samus who is being hinted alongside Kratos and Master Chief, that might be how far Nintendo is willing to go. Like if Nintendo is going to test the waters in letting some of their IPs on another console, I don't think Mario or Legend of Zelda would be their first.

FJA147

Smash Cadet
I would think then either Samus or Captain Falcon if Nintendo added a skin to fortnite from one of their IPs. I think this because according to the leak Kratos is part of some hunters set in Fortnite. And then Samus or Captain Falcon are both bounty hunters.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I really doubt Sony had Nintendo and Microsoft on mind when they allowed Epic to add Kratos on Fortnite. I mean, it's Fortnite, it's incredibly popular and makes a lot of money. Keeping a good relationship with Epic makes sense, and isn't the first time Sony has partnered with them. Executives probably care more about that than exclusives, or at least, are willing to make an exception in this case.
Nintendo is very restrictive with their IPs but I could see Nintendo making an exception with Fortnite for obvious reasons.

Also, if you want to see something cursed... Kratos doing Fortnite dances:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I really doubt Sony had Nintendo and Microsoft on mind when they allowed Epic to add Kratos on Fortnite. I mean, it's Fortnite, it's incredibly popular and makes a lot of money. Keeping a good relationship with Epic makes sense, and isn't the first time Sony has partnered with them. Executives probably care more about that than exclusives, or at least, are willing to make an exception in this case.
Nintendo is very restrictive with their IPs but I could see Nintendo making an exception with Fortnite for obvious reasons.

AFAIK, you can’t see the Sony character Minecraft skins on other systems. This is the first time it’s happened. It’ll be interesting to see if they’ve become more lenient or if this is a special case for the juggernaut that is Fortnite.

It’s gonna be weird if the first crossover between Sony, Microsoft & Nintendo is in Fortnite instead of Smash. But with how close Nintendo is to the game (2 bundles so far), I think that Samus rumor is gonna turn out to be true.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

"Boy, learn how I became the God of Dancing"

Part of me thinks it was meant to he exclusive and Epic just didn't care like when they pulled that **** on the Apple Play Store though we'll have to wait because Sony would absolutely get on their asses for that

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
"Boy, learn how I became the God of Dancing"

Part of me thinks it was meant to he exclusive and Epic just didn't care like when they pulled that **** on the Apple Play Store though we'll have to wait because Sony would absolutely get on their asses for that
Nah if it was Epic pulling another dumb stunt then Sony would have been on them within minutes.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
In all seriousness though, the Choose Your Legends polls are filled with FOTM characters (Three Houses (that made sense though....) Reinhardt in CYL 2018, Tharja in 2017, etc.)
There's flavor of the month, and then there's winning a popularity poll by multiple landslides independent of outside stimulus like FEH pushing you.
Granted, you could argue Smash played a part in pushing him, and that's definitely true to a certain extent, but so far it's not worked for anyone but Roy, least of all Marth.

Anyway, Ike's character is awesome, his moveset's awesome, and he's the most popular FE character in the world, he's not going away anytime soon.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
There now there is a persona game on switch. :strongbad:

Now people can say Joker was a shill pick I guess like with how people unironically claimed Cloud was added to shill FF7 on Switch and the remake
Nah if it was Epic pulling another dumb stunt then Sony would have been on them within minutes.
Fair enough but that means Sony allowed Kratos on Xbox, PC and the Switch, which my mind struggles to comprehend when reminding myself it's reality and not a crappy fake leak

osby

Smash Obsessed
Now people can say Joker was a shill pick I guess like with how people unironically claimed Cloud was added to shill FF7 on Switch and the remake
Jokes on you, people already were saying that. I know at least a couple users here that were angry at Nintendo for shilling a competitor's game.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Now there is a persona game on switch. in the west :strongbad:

What a coincidence, it's yet another Dynasty Warriors style game co develop by Koei-Tecmo with the original IP created from Atlus who's parent company being SEGA released on the Nintendo Switch:4pacman:. Koei is literally on a roll with these Dynasty Warriors game with Age of Calamity released this year and now Strikers is planned to be released next year.

I gotta say, as much as I hate to compare things I wanna say that if the chances are that the representation for a Koei-Tecmo fighter isn't Hayabusa I don't have the reason to be surprised or get baffled about it (still this is just speculation on my side so don't quote me on this and at the same time I'm not trying to slander Hayabusa fans so don't take it into account)

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
What a coincidence, it's yet another Dynasty Warriors style game co develop by Koei-Tecmo with the original IP created from Atlus who's parent company being SEGA released on the Nintendo Switch:4pacman:. Koei is literally on a roll with these Dynasty Warriors game with Age of Calamity released this year and now Strikers is planned to be released next year.

I gotta say, as much as I hate to compare things I wanna say that if the chances are that the representation for a Koei-Tecmo fighter isn't Hayabusa I don't have the reason to be surprised or get baffled about it (still this is just speculation on my side so don't quote me on this and at the same time I'm not trying to slander Hayabusa fans so don't take it into account)
While I don't care if Hayabusa is in or not, he has appeared in various Warriors games, along with Ayane from Dead or Alive.

Speaking of, if any Tecmo Koei character could appear in Super Smash Bros, my choice would be Ayane. I'm sure many of her default costumes in the series could be altered to make her safe for Smash..primarily altering her DOA6 outfit to make the tights into part of the body suit, then she wouldn't be much different from Zero Suit Samus or Bayonetta.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
While I don't care if Hayabusa is in or not, he has appeared in various Warriors games, along with Ayane from Dead or Alive.
That's not an amazing feat when you realized that Dynasty Warriors held a crossover game with contained almost all of Koei Tecmo's game like Atelier (before Ryza even a thing), Nioh, DoA and of course Ninja Gaiden called Warriors All-star.

Really the value of being a host for a crossover game is practically bigger than appearing on 1 or 2 games which is not that special and something you can't just sneeze at when almost half of the important cast from DoA also appear in a Warriors game. Heck even there's even 1 OG Warriors character that also appeared as a playable character in DoA.

Oh, and also this exist..

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm curious about what Scramble's sales momentum will be releasing in February as opposed to six months ago, especially for Switch owners now have a newer Warriors style game from an IP many are far more familiar with.

That the localization has taken so long makes P5S feel like an outlier in today's market where most significant titles feel largely like they get US/Japanese dates within the same week. Have there been any other major games within the last five years with that much time in between regional releases?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm curious about what Scramble's sales momentum will be releasing in February as opposed to six months ago, especially for Switch owners now have a newer Warriors style game from an IP many are far more familiar with.

That the localization has taken so long makes P5S feel like an outlier in today's market where most significant titles feel largely like they get US/Japanese dates within the same week. Have there been any other major games within the last five years with that much time in between regional releases?
I mean, we got Fire Emblem 1 today after 30 years, does that count?

In all seriousness this is pretty standard for Atlus releases

osby

Smash Obsessed

To be fair, Persona games usually take a good while to localize in general.

Plus, we are in the middle of a global pandemic and ATLUS is still a relatively small company in general so they probably can't just money their way through the hurdles it brings.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I guess it really depends. None of us really expected Kratos of all characters to be on Nintendo Switch. Nintendo is pretty strict in regards to it's properties on other consoles, but if Sony of all companies is willing to allow Kratos on the Nintendo Switch through Fortnite, Nintendo may make an exception in exchange. But we'll have to wait and see what happens.

That said, considering it's rumoured that it's Samus who is being hinted alongside Kratos and Master Chief, that might be how far Nintendo is willing to go. Like if Nintendo is going to test the waters in letting some of their IPs on another console, I don't think Mario or Legend of Zelda would be their first.
AFAIK, you can’t see the Sony character Minecraft skins on other systems. This is the first time it’s happened. It’ll be interesting to see if they’ve become more lenient or if this is a special case for the juggernaut that is Fortnite.

It’s gonna be weird if the first crossover between Sony, Microsoft & Nintendo is in Fortnite instead of Smash. But with how close Nintendo is to the game (2 bundles so far), I think that Samus rumor is gonna turn out to be true.
If we get anything Nintendo, it will be Nintendo Exclusive for Splatoon lol.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Speculator be like: "Kratos is a skin in Forknight!1!! Gotta add that to the list of likely character just by minor convenient"

I really hate when that happened when it comes speculation, I mean at least a Sony character is not a guarantee for a character... yet.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
To be honest I see more people complaining about others using a Switch appearance as meaning a character is 100% in than I do people who unironically would look at this and go "well pack it up boys, Kratos is in".

I feel like we could kinda cut back on the constant "OH NOOOOOOOO now they're gonna act like Dumb**** Johnson is a lock! Silly Smash fans, amirite fellas?" It gets grating and almost feels a bit pretentious. Yes, acting like a character is a lock because of a Switch appearance is very annoying, but I feel like the moment the counter-argument becomes more commonplace than the original argument is the moment we should stop and think "is this worth making a boogeyman out of anymore? Have we not beaten a dead horse with this?"

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Seeing Kratos appear in a Nintendo console is so bizarre and crazy, and if the leaks are true then supposedly we're getting Master Chief in Fortnite next as well. I wonder if Nintendo will actually participate and get a character in Fortnite or if they're gonna keep to themselves as usual.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If I was meaner person this would be the perfect oppurtunity to make a joke about how Smash fams have never seen what real girls look like but I'l show constraint.

Maybe "anime-ish" isn't entirely the right term, but Bayonetta isn't exactly someone with super realistic porportions. And the flashy effects on her attacks are undoubtedly stylized. Then again anime is a really wide medium with a lot of different art styles.

Yet the fandom (including this thread) is full of JRPG fans and characters like Sora are widely requested. They get a lot of vocal hate but a ton of support at the same time.

As opposed to more gritty realistic characters like Lara Croft, Chosen Undead and Resident Evil protagonists who tend to have more gritty art styles and abilities get mentioned from time to time but are still not widely requested. They'd probably all be warmly recieved but they aren't who the core Smash fandom is focused on.
Oh.... yeah this thread only cares about RPGs.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
To be fair saying Angry Bird is deserving oly because "it's a famous mobile game" isn't cut it, as I say the term "deserving" game for me at least is a game that changes the genre for better and in the case of Granblue Fantasy and Gengshin Impact really impacted the state of mobile game as a whole and could compete with other big studio game while Angry Bird only living in their own bubble and still ** ** up for no goddamn reason. They didn't do anything phenomenal for mobile games or video game as a whole and they along with Subway Surfer, Candy Crush, Geometry Dash and Flappy Bird is just basically the equivalent of a viral game like Baldi's Basics and Doki Doki back in the day except Rovio still milking it dry even past their prime even go as far as removing the old games just so that people will download their newest game in the series. Overall the impact of Angry Bird is so miniscule or even non existence, the movies didn't helped them since if you want to count the movie in because they're now relevant again might as well put Qbert and that DDR girl from the Emoji Movie deserving then. While on the other hand you know that said game is deserving when Gengshin Impact is literally one of the nomination of TGA and the game that make core audience of video game soften up to the idea of a mobile game unlike back in the day when it gets so much hate with its free-to-play aspect and not so impressive gameplay.
I say Angry Birds is deserving- well- for all the reasons I stated prior- but I don't think not being up at TGAs has any impact. People know of Genshin didn't learn about their love of video games through it. New gamers found an entire way to play because of Angry Birds.
You say it didn't do anything phenomenal for mobile games and entirely missing the point- it made people PLAY mobile games. That's more impact than can be stated. Go ask your random neighbor down the street if they have heard of Angry Birds. Now ask them if they know Genshin Impact.

That was most obvious attempt at trolling I've ever seen; why did you even bother responding via quote? You're only encouraging it.
No, If I wanted to attempt trolling then I'd say Fire Emblem and Geno suck.

I've noticed far more often than I care to admit, that this thread prefers to talk about RPGs and minimizes majority of other genres. Which was the discussion at hand. You calling it trolling, guy I've never seen before- doesn't make it trolling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom