• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
"Hey guys, I think they might have plans for Golden S-"
"Don't ask questions, just consume Generic Big Name Third Party FP2 Prediction Guest Starring Pokemon Sword & Shield and don't be prepared for when it's not 100% true"
Golden Sun seems pretty dead, man. Nintendo probably just sees Camelot as a Mario Sports studio and nothing more, and I don't really see why they'd actively want Golden Sun back when they have stuff like Pokemon and now Xenoblade as their premier RPG series.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Yesterday, Sakurai give his thought on the ps5 in his Famtsu column. You can read it here. While I know that if Sakurai play a game, it doesn't mean that it will be in Smash I find it interesting that the first ps5 games he played is Ninja warriors. For those who don't know it, this is a 2d beat em up game where you controll a Ninja (think a bit like Streets of rage but with Ninja theme). The game is developped by Taito. The version he played his probably the 2019 version called The Ninja saviors: return of the warrior. This his the only game of the franchise that would be playable on a ps5. The japanese name of the game his actually simply Ninja warriors, so this could be a mistranslation from the team. This version is a remake of the SNES game.

I find it interesting because for him choosing this particular game for his new next gen console. While I don't think this particular game will be represent in Smash. This bring three points:

-Sakurai his probably a fan of ninja in general. This is what I think because when he chose a gen 6 Pokémon based on concept art, he chosed the ninja, Greninja. Also, when he talked about who he considered for the Arms rep, he said Ninjara. Now his first ps5 games is a Ninja game. Maybe he would like to add Hayabusa because he like Ninja that much.

-This is a Taito game and while it probably isn't that surprising, he probably have a lot of respect to their game. It was already speculated that we might see a Taito spirits event and it is know own by Square enix so maybe it could be add relatively easily.

-Maybe he's also a fan of 2d beat em up in general, which might help the case of other more popular beat em up characters like Axel Stone or Billy and Jimmy Lee.

Just to be clear, I don't think that those characters are a lock or anything, but considering that he chose that particular game for his brand new console, it's probably a game that he like a lot, so it's something to think about.
This is where Ryu Hayabusa comes in.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Hell no lmao people would still complain, instead it'd be "Ughhhh they went back to an older Switch game to shill Fire Emblem instead of giving us what we truly want? For shame Nintendo! Fire Emblem took my wife and ****ed my crops". Timing of when a character is revealed would not ****ing change it, I saw Banjo stans who constantly said they'd be ok with Steve as long as he was after Banjo get incredibly upset about Steve's inclusion and the timing for Steve happened the exact way they wanted it to.
As a Banjo fan who posts regularly on their thread, this is false profiling. I think this is just the sentiment from the anti-Banjo crowd as a straw man argument to belittle the Banjo fan base.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Why make Lumine and Aether separate when they're literally just gender swap of each other with the same set of weapon unlike the ASTRAL CHAIN spirit event which at least give an overarching explanation about the different Legionis?

Also adding just Amber in feels really incomplete, though I understand that she's the first person that you meet I can't help but include the rest simply because they're inseparable, at least in promotional materials for the game
They're twins, just like Astral Chain.
The twin you choose also looks to be becoming an antagonist, just like Akira in Astral Chain

Amber could be considered the mascot of the game (Not counting Paimon). Aside from being the first characteryou get, she's also front-and-center in the marketing, specifically the YouTube videos. If we there's one character who could function separate from the group, it would be Amber.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
They're twins, just like Astral Chain.
The twin you choose also looks to be becoming an antagonist, just like Akira in Astral Chain
But, they particularly has the same set of skills tho, and the excuse of being a twin is just the same thing as choosing your character gender but the ones you don't choose didn't get shafted. At least your twin Akira is by your side for the whole entire game than just appearing in the prologue. Just like I said before from weapon to element to even skill they're basically the same while ASTRAL CHAIN have different Legionis that you could choose from.

Edit: ignore Akira being by your side for the whole game.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
If that really happened, especially a spirit event, I could see them getting addedView attachment 292931
Sorry Diluc and Venti fans but other than Paimon and the player character those 4 is prominently featured in the story as well as appearing in the game's promotional art.
No Diluc?
IMG_20201010_143613~2.jpg

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The more I personally think about it the more I feel Lloyd is gonna return as a Mii costume honestly given the trend of returning SSB4 Mii costumes.

And why I think Geno will follow suit too except I think he'll be a Premium Mii costume.

I also don't think Crash and Sora are happening. The former especially whose chances have been overblown. Also as oversaturated Dante's chances maybe he certainly has a better shot getting in then they do.

Regarding Crash, if anything I suspect he'll have to wait until Smash 6 to finally have his time.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
But, they particularly has the same set of skills tho, and the excuse of being a twin is just the same thing as choosing your character gender but the ones you don't choose didn't get shafted. At least your twin Akira is by your side for the whole entire game than just appearing in the prologue. Just like I said before from weapon to element to even skill they're basically the same while ASTRAL CHAIN have different Legionis that you could choose from.

Edit: ignore Akira being by your side for the whole game.
They're commanding one of the major antagonist factions of the game. They're not just an excuse to choose your character's gender.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
The more I personally think about it the more I feel Lloyd is gonna return as a Mii costume honestly given the trend of returning SSB4 Mii costumes.

And why I think Geno will follow suit too except I think he'll be a Premium Mii costume.

I also don't think Crash and Sora are happening.
Yeah, I feel like the rest of the SSB4 costumes is a matter of when, not if.

Also, did you change your profile pic to Krampus?

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
They're commanding one of the major antagonist factions of the game. They're not just an excuse to choose your character's gender.
Still why the heck they wanted to represent your other half based on a spoiler when the game is still new, again same skills and weapon so there's no excuse of diversity for them.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Still why the heck they wanted to represent your other half based on a spoiler when the game is still new, again same skills and weapon so there's no excuse of diversity for them.
Because they're one half of the player character and it's been done before with Astral Chain. They can easily represent a different element (Lumine with Anemo, Aether with Geo).

Or we can just have Aether's Spirit Battle be Ike spamming up special continuously because puns

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Because they're one half of the player character and it's been done before with Astral Chain. They can easily represent a different element (Lumine with Anemo, Aether with Geo).
Again Astral Chain has different Legionis that provide you with different set of weapon and strategy of gameplay while Traveler has the same weapon regardless of gender (also basing them off of certain element separately is like the equivalent of putting a pickle into another jar of pickle, why don't have both of them be one spirit and whatever the condition is references their capability of using various element rather than being separated, from that explanation alone is as efficient as killing 2 birds with 1 stone)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Again Astral Chain has different Legionis that provide you with different set of weapon and strategy of gameplay while Traveler has the same weapon regardless of gender (also basing them off of certain element separately is like the equivalent of putting a pickle into another jar of pickle, why don't have both of them be one spirit and whatever the condition is references their capability of using various element rather than being separated, from that explanation alone is as efficient as killing 2 birds with 1 stone)
Just a suggestion :drshrug:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
As a Banjo fan who posts regularly on their thread, this is false profiling. I think this is just the sentiment from the anti-Banjo crowd as a straw man argument to belittle the Banjo fan base.
You're talking to someone who was actively stalked and harassed by Banjo fans for the crime of not liking nor wanting Banjo and being vocal about it to a fault. One guy made an alt account to circumvent losing signature privileges because he used it for harassment.

So maybe stay in your lane.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I have to admit... despite this being the door to Smash being more open than ever, this is probably the least interested I've been in Smash speculation for the near-decade I've been doing it.

The entire scene just feels so stagnant relative to past pre-release periods. Before, we were getting new information all the time that forced us to consistently rethink who we were considering in subtle ways that added up over time. I remember in Smash for Wii U/3DS' speculation period when people were considering what the boxing ring/Villager's jab meant for Little Mac, if Greninja's inclusion really meant Mewtwo wasn't happening, or what Chrom's deconfirmation meant for Gematsu. Oh yeah, there were safe guesses (most of which ended up coming true), but things always in an interesting state of flux. Although information came at a slower pace for Wii U/3DS' DLC and Ultimate's base game, this also held true. Oh ****, Ryu's in, so third party companies can get multiple characters! Mimikyu got deconfirmed, so what does that mean for a Gen 7 rep overall? These little revelations constantly had us tweaking our predictions and made the process a lot more enjoyable.

In Ultimate's DLC, however, the discussion got tired real fast. The first three or four months were pretty fun, as Joker really had people think outside the usual suspects for a bit. By May, however, we had basically reduced our predictions down to 25 or so characters that most people thought had a decent chance, with a handful of stragglers thrown in there to spice things up. However, once Hero, Banjo and Kazooie, and Terry came along, the pool shrunk even further as many thought only third parties were eligible. Even Byleth, who broke the third-party trend, was kinda written off by many as an exception to confirmed the general rules we had already developed.

That's why, even though many consider it a low point in Ultimate's DLC, the announcement that FP6 would be from ARMS was a massive breath of fresh air. It was a genuine surprise that couldn't be explained with the orthodox approach, necessitating that we deviate from said approach. Could we see more first parties in the second Fighter's Pass? Could games with base game content really receive a DLC pack? These were all questions that had largely been written off, but now we had to reconsider them. Min Min was another subtle curveball as, while many predicted she would be the ARMS rep, she showed that you don't have the be the poster child of your game or series to get a Fighter's Pass pack.

Then, we got Steve. Now, I really like Steve's inclusion, but I hate what he's done for Smash speculation. Because he's a big third party, people saw him as an opportunity to settle back into their pre-ARMS thought patterns. That meant throwing around the same couple of names that had already been discussed to death. Dante, Crash, Geno, and Ryu Hayabusa are fun characters, but I'm so sick of talking about them. If anything, things have even worse now, seeing how characters that used to be discussed like Leon, Doom Slayer, and 2B have basically fallen out of favour as candidates for a number of reasons. Since Steve's reveal, we've really only had two new characters gain a lot of discussions: Monster Hunter and Adol. Their presence does make things a lot more interesting, but it's not enough to make up for the tired environment that is the overall speculation community.

Sorry if I'm being kind of a downer with this massive doom post, but this feeling has been swirling around in my head for a while.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I have to admit... despite this being the door to Smash being more open than ever, this is probably the least interested I've been in Smash speculation for the near-decade I've been doing it.

The entire scene just feels so stagnant relative to past pre-release periods. Before, we were getting new information all the time that forced us to consistently rethink who we were considering in subtle ways that added up over time. I remember in Smash for Wii U/3DS' speculation period when people were considering what the boxing ring/Villager's jab meant for Little Mac, if Greninja's inclusion really meant Mewtwo wasn't happening, or what Chrom's deconfirmation meant for Gematsu. Oh yeah, there were safe guesses (most of which ended up coming true), but things always in an interesting state of flux. Although information came at a slower pace for Wii U/3DS' DLC and Ultimate's base game, this also held true. Oh ****, Ryu's in, so third party companies can get multiple characters! Mimikyu got deconfirmed, so what does that mean for a Gen 7 rep overall? These little revelations constantly had us tweaking our predictions and made the process a lot more enjoyable.

In Ultimate's DLC, however, the discussion got tired real fast. The first three or four months were pretty fun, as Joker really had people think outside the usual suspects for a bit. By May, however, we had basically reduced our predictions down to 25 or so characters that most people thought had a decent chance, with a handful of stragglers thrown in there to spice things up. However, once Hero, Banjo and Kazooie, and Terry came along, the pool shrunk even further as many thought only third parties were eligible. Even Byleth, who broke the third-party trend, was kinda written off by many as an exception to confirmed the general rules we had already developed.

That's why, even though many consider it a low point in Ultimate's DLC, the announcement that FP6 would be from ARMS was a massive breath of fresh air. It was a genuine surprise that couldn't be explained with the orthodox approach, necessitating that we deviate from said approach. Could we see more first parties in the second Fighter's Pass? Could games with base game content really receive a DLC pack? These were all questions that had largely been written off, but now we had to reconsider them. Min Min was another subtle curveball as, while many predicted she would be the ARMS rep, she showed that you don't have the be the poster child of your game or series to get a Fighter's Pass pack.

Then, we got Steve. Now, I really like Steve's inclusion, but I hate what he's done for Smash speculation. Because he's a big third party, people saw him as an opportunity to settle back into their pre-ARMS thought patterns. That meant throwing around the same couple of names that had already been discussed to death. Dante, Crash, Geno, and Ryu Hayabusa are fun characters, but I'm so sick of talking about them. If anything, things have even worse now, seeing how characters that used to be discussed like Leon, Doom Slayer, and 2B have basically fallen out of favour as candidates for a number of reasons. Since Steve's reveal, we've really only had two new characters gain a lot of discussions: Monster Hunter and Adol. Their presence does make things a lot more interesting, but it's not enough to make up for the tired environment that is the overall speculation community.

Sorry if I'm being kind of a downer with this massive doom post, but this feeling has been swirling around in my head for a while.
No, you're completely in the right. I feel the same about Smash speculation these days.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Steve reveal is basically the low point of expectations and speculation for people cause everyone always thought that there must be a character more bigger and better than Steve and others just straight off erase interesting character off the table like Capcom or other characters from a repeated company. Heck even worst is that people just forget Sakurai's word about niche character having their chances if they bring new and fun mechanic to the table and everyone just like "Yeah, that won't happened not in a million years."

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Honestly yeah. The speculative scene has stagnated as of late. There isn't any news beyond the actual fighter reveals themselves. I guess that's why we're hyping ourselves up for the Spirit Events even though they're clearly not happening; We just want something, anything, to figure something out. The last major shakeup was either Adol getting attention or Kiryu being implicitly deconfirmed by virtue of respecting women. Adol was lucky because we rarely talk about new characters for a while after, but Kiryu didn't change much because we don't really talk about Sega reps here very much. The new frontrunners look to be Arle and Sakura, but the former doesn't get much attention for whatever reason and the latter is often dismissed for their Japan-centric franchise. That's why I've lost a lot of investment and have succumbed to regularly scheduled Adolposting.

Perkilator

Smash Legend

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I just had a crazy thought. Could Nintendo force Sakurai to add Goku into Smash Bros?
Hypothetically, I think they could, but that would a bit more complicated than just going to another game developer. They'd probably have to split the difference with Toriyama, Toei, Funimation, Sean Schemmel, etc. at the very least if they wanted the bare minimum of Goku with proper voice acting, and that's not getting into the soundtrack. Things are just run differently, which I think is a major issue with non-video game properties.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Honestly yeah. The speculative scene has stagnated as of late. There isn't any news beyond the actual fighter reveals themselves. I guess that's why we're hyping ourselves up for the Spirit Events even though they're clearly not happening; We just want something, anything, to figure something out. The last major shakeup was either Adol getting attention or Kiryu being implicitly deconfirmed by virtue of respecting women. Adol was lucky because we rarely talk about new characters for a while after, but Kiryu didn't change much because we don't really talk about Sega reps here very much. The new frontrunners look to be Arle and Sakura, but the former doesn't get much attention for whatever reason and the latter is often dismissed for their Japan-centric franchise. That's why I've lost a lot of investment and have succumbed to regularly scheduled Adolposting.
A lot of what you just said is why these days I just come up with my own ideas and keep my expectations low when reveals eventually are around the corner.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot

I just had a crazy thought. Could Nintendo force Sakurai to add Goku into Smash Bros?
Part of me wants to say **** Nintendo, for being this pitty

But another part of me hopes this is finally the hammer in the nail to make people stop the "IF NINTENDO TAKES SOMETHING DOWN, IT MEANS ITS REAL!!1" crowd

God that ****ing KOS-MOS ordeal was stupid

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

I found speculating about Fraymakers to be more fun than speculating about Smash with my friends. Now granted Fraymakers is a new game and speculating about a new game will always be more interesting than speculating about DLC, but with how the game's assist system is so heavily ingrained in it's gameplay and how fighters can also be assists it makes speculating about the game much different than in Smash.

Not to mention that the game is heavily focused on indies, flash games, and PC games in general. This makes speculation a bit more unique there since unlike Smash speculation being an indie isn't seen as a negative point.

So with that said, upgraded Fancypants for Fraymakers!

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
You're talking to someone who was actively stalked and harassed by Banjo fans for the crime of not liking nor wanting Banjo and being vocal about it to a fault. One guy made an alt account to circumvent losing signature privileges because he used it for harassment.

So maybe stay in your lane.
I will never forget the day when Hero was revealed in the beginning of that E3 direct, and how ****ing toxic and virtualorl the Banjo thread was towards Dragon Quest fans

Then, 6 minutes later he was revealed
The insult's towards Billy's video were unecessary. He did a great work summarizing everything. You can just say that you're lazy, it's not a crime.
I legit saw so no insult towards Billy's work on this thread, in fact, I think I was the only one that referenced it? But yeah, if you meant me, that wasn't a "insult"

Just because you worked hard on something, that's dosn't mean people aren't allowed to critical of it as well, and yeah, there were problems with Billy's video

EDIT: I saw Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen 's post, nevermind!

Still she abosuatly not wrong and I agree with her 100%

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I will never forget the day when Hero was revealed in the beginning of that E3 direct, and how ****ing toxic and virtualorl the Banjo thread was towards Dragon Quest fans

Then, 6 minutes later he was revealed
I remember that, and this is coming from a Banjo fan lol. People gotta realize it's just a game and stop feeling personally offended when their favorite character isn't confirmed.

Of course this is smashboards, so...

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
To me, It feels stale because no one is talking about anyone new. All they talk about are characters from rumors or charcaters from coincidences like Lloyed, Geno, Whoever the Ys guy is, ect.

Doesnt it get boring only talking about those characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom