• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
-looks at Mario Kart Tour- I'll still compare Nintendo to EA, for a different reason :p

Also, stop ****ting on Activision for something that's Blizzard's fault. The two companies don't do anything together; they just happen to be subsidaries of the same company and that's pretty much where the connections end.
Wait, were you talking to me or the comparing Nintendo to Activision?

Shroob

Sup?
And people wonder why the Melee community gets a bad rep. Like, I get it, the thing got canned, but this isn't like every other. Nintendo was SPONSERING the darn thing. They told the group they didn't want Slippi to be used, the group didn't care, so Nintendo took action. It's their own fault. STOP COMPARING NINTENDO TO EA AND ACTIVISION, IT'S GETTING ANNOYING!!!!!!
I mean, gonna be real with ya here.

Even ignoring this whole Melee ****, there's more than enough reason to compare Nintendo to said companies. They're nowhere near as bad as either mind you, but Nintendo isn't some shining beacon of wholesomeness either.

They're a business, they're not your friend. They want your money, they don't want your friendship.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Even ignoring this whole Melee ****, there's more than enough reason to compare Nintendo to said companies. They're nowhere near as bad as either mind you, but Nintendo isn't some shining beacon of wholesomeness either.

They're a business, they're not your friend. They want your money, they don't want your friendship.
They probably learned that lesson when revealing the reason why they wanted to delay New Horizons (basically treating employees like human beings) made them lose a billion dollars in stock :p

It's probably not why it happened, but the fact that both events happened on the same day make for a hilarious coincidence

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

So basically, don’t ask questions, just C O N S U M E P R O D U C T ?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I like Nintendo, but they do a bunch of stuff that makes no sense to me, lol.

I don't think it's wise to view a company as an entity that has your best interest at heart or as something that owes something to you or is your friend. They provide services and products in the hopes of earning a profit, and you as the consumer have the choice of purchasing said services or products. That's pretty much where the relationship ends IMHO.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm baffled as to why people are surprised by Nintendo's decision.

They've always been very anti-mod, so the moment Big House revealed they'd use Slippi was pretty much the moment the TOs heard that sound in their heads.
You think they’d wake up to a nice “you’re banned from going online” message tomorrow morning?

cuz you know, mods and that’s a risk

Ivander

Smash Legend
Yeah, it's never a good idea to assume a company has your best interests. They can listen to criticism, but don't assume they will always do so.

That aside, Nintendo and Competitive are two words that really don't go hand-in-hand. Although this year, people were really switching moods about Nintendo with Competitive. Like for a long time, there were people asking for Nintendo to endorse Competitive, than people started questioning on whether Nintendo not endorsing Competitive was a good thing during the dark days of the Smash Competitive community, but now that the dark days are past, people are back to clamouring to Nintendo to endorse Competitive again.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I like Nintendo, but they do a bunch of stuff that makes no sense to me, lol.

I don't think it's wise to view a company as an entity that has your best interest at heart or as something that owes something to you or is your friend. They provide services and products in the hopes of earning a profit, and you as the consumer have the choice of purchasing said services or products. That's pretty much where the relationship ends IMHO.
Pretty much this. Any friendly aura they may have is just to further tempt you into buying their products.

Doesn't make the entire company a bunch of scumbags though; only the marketing team would be that :^)

You think they’d wake up to a nice “you’re banned from going online” message tomorrow morning?

cuz you know, mods and that’s a risk
I'm surprised Slippi's rollback lasted 5 months so far, honestly.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah, it's never a good idea to assume a company has your best interests. They can listen to criticism, but don't assume they will always do so.

That aside, Nintendo and Competitive are two words that really don't go hand-in-hand. Although this year, people were really switching moods about Nintendo with Competitive. Like for a long time, there were people asking for Nintendo to endorse Competitive, than people started questioning on whether Nintendo not endorsing Competitive was a good thing during the dark days of the Smash Competitive community, but now that the dark days are past, people are back to clamouring to Nintendo to endorse Competitive again.
The problem is that people don't quite get what Nintendo would do by endorsing the Smash scene and just backing it a little more than just slapping a logo on the stream to show they sponsor the tournament.

If Nintendo started to really go out of their way to get involved with the competitive scene in a fashion that's closer to Capcom, SNK or any other big fighting game dev, that would actually be the nail in the coffin for Melee's scene because as a business, Nintendo has no good reason to endorse a game that's decades old and has never seen a rerelease since.

So ironically enough, Nintendo not caring about the scene is the only reason Melee lived for so long. Otherwise, it would've died in 2008.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Doesn't make the entire company a bunch of scumbags though; only the marketing team would be that :^)
Maybe, although there are times when I think the higher-ups at the back doing the little lifting and heavy ordering can be too.

I still blame the higher-ups at Namco Bandai for screwing over the Soulcalibur 5 development team.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Can't believe nintendo would rather people risk covid and their lives to play Melee in person than allow a lagless, completely legal method of playing Melee over the internet.

Actually I totally can, but still.
Just because some people call Melee fans boomers doesn't mean they're actually old enough to actually die from the virus.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Maybe, although there are times when I think the higher-ups at the back doing the little lifting and heavy ordering can be too.

I still blame the higher-ups at Namco Bandai for screwing over the Soulcalibur 5 development team.
Oh yeah, higher-ups would definitely be up there too.

But the development team themselves are typically the passionate people who care about the consumers by making the gameplay as fun as they can.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That's because these companies are far more involved in their games' scenes, if not outright the ones organizing everything to begin with, so they can directly change anything they don't like without much of a fuss instead of sending ninjas from the shadows.
Nah I doubt that. The Kamen Rider franchise is super niche in the west and only recently had some seasons get released in the US yet but the actors and the producers gladly chatted with Western fans about the shows that still haven't gotten an official release be it via twitter or outright going to cons. It's simply a Nintendo thing as Toei's simply turning a blind eye to all the people who literally cannot watch their **** without piracy.

Just because some people call Melee fans boomers doesn't mean they're actually old enough to actually die from the virus.
You realize a 13 year old died from it this month right? And he wasn't the first teenager to die of it?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Nah I doubt that. The Kamen Rider franchise is super niche in the west and only recently had some seasons get released in the US yet but the actors and the producers gladly chatted with Western fans about the shows that still haven't gotten an official release be it via twitter or outright going to cons. It's simply a Nintendo thing as Toei's simply turning a blind eye to all the people who literally cannot watch their **** without piracy.
You were just looking for a way to talk about Kamen Rider, weren't you?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You were just looking for a way to talk about Kamen Rider, weren't you?
You say that like talking about Kamen Rider is a bad thing. :nifty: It's weird how a show that never really touches the west outside of the weird Power-Rangers-esque scenario has games that are officially localized.

1605852854185.png

Like this thing has full English text and it came out recently.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You say that like talking about Kamen Rider is a bad thing. :nifty: It's weird how a show that never really touches the west outside of the weird Power-Rangers-esque scenario has games that are officially localized.

View attachment 292279

Like this thing has full English text and it came out recently.
Actually the localization's intended for the Phillipines, they also dub seasons but the dubs are really hard to track down. We just benefit from it too if we import it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Actually the localization's intended for the Phillipines, they also dub seasons but the dubs are really hard to track down. We just benefit from it too if we import it.
It's still nice to have it in English. A Kamen Rider FGC would ****ing sell dude, the Power Rangers one did nicely.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
It wasn't Just the Philippines either, Hong Kong and Singapore dubbed and subbed Kamen Rider as well

Actually All the dubbed seasons from Den-O to Fourze (Except for Kiva and W) and Kuuga were actually lost and still are the only one that was found in it's entirety AFAIK was Kabuto

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Speaking about Kamen Rider, which is practically my childhood show cause I live in Asia, is there any Kamen Rider game that is translated in english, minus the ones that already being mentioned?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Speaking about Kamen Rider, which is practically my childhood show cause I live in Asia, is there any Kamen Rider game that is translated in english, minus the ones that already being mentioned?
To my knowledge the only ones are the already mentioned Memory of Heroez (not a typo btw nonfans it makes sense to spell it like that), Climax Scramble which came out a year or two ago on Switch and Masked Rider ZO on the Sega CD. Unless we count the Dragon Knight Wii game as it reuses assets from Climax Heroes, which the future installments of the Climax Heroes games ended up reusing as most of the Ryuki Riders didn't have super moves in that series until Dragon Knight gave them their iconic supere

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
TOP COMPARING NINTENDO TO EA AND ACTIVISION, IT'S GETTING ANNOYING!!!!!!
So sorry that Nintendo is *****y in SLIGHTLY different ways.

Also, stop ****ting on Activision for something that's Blizzard's fault. The two companies don't do anything together;
That hasn't been the case for several years now. Activision has been pushing it's way into the Blizzard side as older Blizzard employees have left.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Nintendo has ****ty business practices. It’s just how it is. They’re just not the same kind of ****ty as EA or Activision.

PlayStation is ****ty in their own way too.

That’s just how cooperations work.

Literally, if you want a company who isn’t asshat to you and intends on giving you the best they possibly can you would buy an Xbox or at least Game Pass for PC because it seems like Xbox has been the only consumer friendly company over the past year or two. But everyone ****s on Xbox for not having exclusives and then cries when Xbox buys companies to increase their portfolio so there’s literally no winning here.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Nintendo has ****ty business practices. It’s just how it is. They’re just not the same kind of ****ty as EA or Activision.

PlayStation is ****ty in their own way too.

That’s just how cooperations work.

Literally, if you want a company who isn’t asshat to you and intends on giving you the best they possibly can you would buy an Xbox or at least Game Pass for PC because it seems like Xbox has been the only consumer friendly company over the past year or two.
It baffles me that there's still a lot of people who think no company will go to the same route of effery like EA and yet they lash out doing something that they are not pleased and calling the ones that defended them (even though going as far as stopping the comparison to EA) as bootlicker.

I mean what do you expect from a lot of big company in the world, even if they done good things in the pass people always brush them off as one-off if not as a bait so more people like them.

ZelDan

Smash Master
One thing I like to remind myself about Nintendo or any huge businesses in general is that these places aren't just one person but thousands of people, all with different tasks and jobs, all have different beliefs and opinions, and I wouldn't doubt there are even parts of Nintendo that disagree with Nintendo alot of the times, much like there are employees who will disagree with what their managers/supervisors do or whatever.

The bad decisions that make alot of us groan or question nintendo are ultimately handled by the higher ups probably, and not those actually making the games that make us like Nintendo. Atleast not always. Sometimes the actual game makers or producers or whatever might be behind some dumb, ****ty stuff too, but not always.

I guess with this stuff in mind, while I may like/dislike stuff Nintendo does or Sony/Microsoft/Square Enix/Capcom etc. or agree/disagree with stuff these corporations do, I never really take it personally. I'll criticize and perhaps not buy certain products/services, sure, but I won't be all "ERR MUH GAWD THEY BETRAYED US!" or anything like that.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Me when I first heard about the fiasco: "Nintendo can be real jerks sometimes"

Me when I heard that Nintendo was actually sponsoring the event and asked TBH to not use Slippi but they didn't listen: "What were those guys thinking!?"
Wait, hold on, do you have a link?

About Nintendo asking for TBH to not use Slippi?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
D

Deleted member

It’s just Nintendo equating emulation to piracy as usual. Expected but still disgusting to see. Big House’s only other option was to axe the Melee bracket entirely which would’ve seen the same public backlash against Nintendo anyway.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

I don't approve of Nintendo's decision but I also have to wonder what TBH thought was going to happen.
Basically my thoughts.

It's still really freaking dumb on Nintendo part, but expecting less after AM2Rs case was like hoping for a miracle that they wouldn't notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom