• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's moreso because of the emotions these characters are designed to play around or incite in your opponent. Grapplers make people not want to stay in range, because then you risk getting bodied (fear) and zoners are designed to slowly kill your patience and force you to make mistakes (anger). The other two tend to be more straightforward, so there's arguably less room to be "against" them.
That actually makes a lot of sense, and is the only answer I've seen that doesn't just assume the entirety of fighting game communities are just butthurt (though I suppose that is the end result to some extent. heh).

Anyway, onto slightly more relevant conversation:
Basically, in the game, there's an enemy that can transform Arthur into a weaker form and depending on what Arthur has as his armor, he has 4 different possible transformations. If he has the Gold armor, he becomes a girl that is capable of actually not getting hit, compared to the other forms which are much more limited.
Imagine if Arthur had this ability in Smash...That'd be something.

Basically, the enemy punishes you for being at 1-hit from death whereas it gives you a decent chance when at 4-hits.
I was going to question this design choice, but then I remembered that this was given to you with the expectation that you would do a no hit run, so I guess it actually does make sense.

You think they are gonna keep the japanphobic attorny in The Great Ace Attorny the same or will they change him to not hate the Japanese, you think
Wait...So you're telling me that Phoenix Wright. Who lives in what is absolutely, completely and totally not Japan. Hates Japan?

Translation team, is there something you're not telling me?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Imagine if Arthur had this ability in Smash...That'd be something.
Except he doesn't? I just said that it was an enemy that transformed him. What he's transformed into depends on his armor/HP level.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Wait...So you're telling me that Phoenix Wright. Who lives in what is absolutely, completely and totally not Japan. Hates Japan?

Oh no not Pheonix lol
Barok van Zieks is who im taliking about, from Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Except he doesn't? I just said that it was an enemy that transformed him. What he's transformed into depends on his armor/HP level.
TFW you re-read something multiple times and still misunderstand it.

Oh no not Pheonix lol
Barok van Zieks is who im taliking about, from Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2
Oh OK. Not sure why I assumed it was him. That goes far beyond jelly donuts, and makes even less sense.

I'd imagine they'd keep the character, but they may change the dialogue if any of it is irrelevant with any setting changes (like, if we're in "California" it wouldn't make sense for the guy to go on a rant about Japan unless it was directed at Maya or something).

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Just go back to eating your hamburgers, Apollo.

Eat Your Hamburgers, Apollo | Know Your Meme

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Oh.... but given how other fighting games play, my answer could be basically universal.

People hate zoners because they have range so rushdowns can't rush down.

And people hate grapplers because rushdowns rushing down is now a risk.

It all comes down to people hating the fact that their adrenaline rush is denied.
Which I find funny because the frustration of fighting a zoner is what gets my adrenaline going. Nothing gets my heart pumping like closing the gap against a Samus player and trying to go ham on them as hard as I can before they're able to reset neutral.

volbound1700

Smash Master
This post was warned because it’s off-topic spam. Please do not post fake leaks; jokes or otherwise.
So I just received a huge leak regarding Fighter Pass Character # 8 (#3 Character in Fighter Pass 2). It is a total surprise out of left field.

Here is the character:

General George Patton

Here is how the character works:

He rides around in a tank and uses several projects. His final smash is to call in his full brigade to knock fighters off the map. His taunts are full of famous Patton quotes. He also has a move were he pulls off his glove and slaps you and calls you "Coward" from on top of the tank.

I also have access to the Trailer as well. Here it is:

I meant to post this last week to stay in theme. Sorry for the late posting. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
This post was warned for off-topic content. Please just report troublesome posts. Replying to spam/trolling/flaming in a like manner is grounds for warnings.
So I just received a huge leak regarding Fighter Pass Character # 8 (#3 Character in Fighter Pass 2). It is a total surprise out of left field.

Here is the character:

General George Patton

He rides around in a tank and uses several projects. His final smash is to call in his full brigade to knock fighters off the map. His taunts are full of famous Patton quotes. He also has a move were he pulls off his glove and slaps you and calls you "Coward" from on top of the tank.

I meant to post this last week to stay in theme. Sorry for the late posting. Enjoy.
Thank you for reminding me why I blocked you. :)

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Nintendo has really, really disappointed me this year. This just adds fuel to the fire.
Nintendo would rather die than admit that fans in their free time can do better than a team of hired devs in full-time shifts. Japanese pride and all.

So yeah, stuff like this isn't surprising.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I don't think there will be a TGA reveal because there's just nothing that's adding up for there to be a TGA reveal. Remember that the Joker reveal happened the day before (and in some territories, the day of) Smash Ultimate launched; it was supposedly also done last minute. I think Byleth would've made sense to reveal at TGA 2019 considering both Three Houses and Smash Ultimate were featured prominently that year, but that wasn't the case; I don't see anything adding up to a TGA reveal this year. I know I like to nag about the echo chamber, but quite a few of said characters in the echo chamber (Dante, Doomguy, Crash, Sol if Strive is to be shown off (not sure if Sol's in the echo chamber though, I've just seen discussion for him rise recently)) seem to align with TGA, so on the off chance we do get a reveal at TGA 2020, I'd expect someone from the echo chamber.

Here is the character:

General George Patton

joke.png

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Nintendo has really, really disappointed me this year. This just adds fuel to the fire.
What gets me is the fact that the entire event is cancelled, not just the Melee section, so Ultimate players will also have to suffer from Nintendo's bull****. Let it be known that Nintendo got hilariously outperformed by one guy in his basement who created a better netcode than them so they got mad and decided to shut it all down.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
People seem to be unaware that the AA localization legend herself Janet Tsu has confirmed that the series is an AU
When I took over the series' localization direction starting with the second game, one of the first things I had to deal with was what to do with Maya's hometown and all the mysticism surrounding the Fey clan. It was then that I created a little headcanon for myself (which I suppose is actually real canon now for the localized version): while “Gyakuten Saiban” takes place in Japan, the Los Angeles that “Ace Attorney” takes place in is an alternate universe where anti-Japanese sentiments and anti-immigrant laws were not enacted, and Japanese culture was allowed to flourish and blend into the local culture in the same manner as other immigrant cultures.
Not counting budget and time restraints, this little headcanon has pretty much dictated what I would keep as Japanese and what to completely localize. For example, anything related to Maya's clan and the Kurain Channeling Technique is pretty much guaranteed to stay Japanese because that's her heritage while Japanese foods that are not commonly known in the West will probably be localized in the interest of keeping the game from needing a 50-page explanatory booklet.

By the way, random facts: I adore the fandom name “Japanifornia”, and imagine my surprise when I first saw the “Big Hero 6” movie trailer! No matter what anyone says, Japanifornia will always be THE ORIGINAL San Fransokyo to me. grin

Also while Arthur somehow managed to become relevant, I always think of the following.

Warning, adult language and humour

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I don't think there will be a TGA reveal because there's just nothing that's adding up for there to be a TGA reveal. Remember that the Joker reveal happened the day before (and in some territories, the day of) Smash Ultimate launched; it was supposedly also done last minute. I think Byleth would've made sense to reveal at TGA 2019 considering both Three Houses and Smash Ultimate were featured prominently that year, but that wasn't the case; I don't see anything adding up to a TGA reveal this year. I know I like to nag about the echo chamber, but quite a few of said characters in the echo chamber (Dante, Doomguy, Crash, Sol if Strive is to be shown off) seem to align with TGA, so on the off chance we do get a reveal at TGA 2020, I'd expect someone from the echo chamber.
Problem is that the TGA reveal, if we get one, could be anyone, really.

Persona 5 wasn't anywhere in the 2018 nominees since it instead qualified for the 2017 awards due to its late 2016 release date, not to mention Joker never had any echo chambers to begin with because "Persona is a Sony exclusive, Shin Megami Tensei would be more likely"

SKX31

Smash Master
Hbox has been doing huge plays since late 2018, iirc. :p
Sadly he's not been doing too hotly in the online Melee environment and kinda been on / off, but it's partly due to him streaming Ultimate too. Still, he's still active and will participate in a tournament this week; and we'll have to see when offline events return.

So...They're not allowing the tournaments not because they're of Nintendo games, but because they have Slippi somewhere in the broadcast?

Why?
Aside from the above mentioned:

I heavily suspect it's Nintendo's heavy, heavy emphasis on "Our consoles, our games, our property" as well as Slippi being a mod and thus getting deep into Nintendo's console environment. Nintendo would rather die than to allow people to "tamper" with their software and consequently hardware, because if the hardware is "tampered" it can - from Nintendo's PoV - be modded without them knowing. Any X-rated mod game on Nintendo's hardware would in their eyes likely damage the family friendly image.

One of the Slippi members is UnclePunch, who created the UnclePunch training mod for Melee, so there's that too. Oh, and Fizzi gets money from Patreon for the work.

Also, notice the Slippi logo:

Which is from Nintendo's PoV heavily based on their IP.

The Summit 10 will run as normal it seems, but sadly Beyond the Summit (BTS, no not the K-Pop group. The premier Dota 2 casting team and now also a Smash casting team.) deleted the Slippi Champions League VoDs - which served as qualifiers for this week's tournament. The casting team's not mentioning Slippi at all seemingly,

Yeah, I'm worried for Project Slippi. It won't be the end, but man. Hopefully Slippi helps force Nintendo to consider much stronger online.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Nintendo would rather die than admit that fans in their free time can do better than a team of hired devs in full-time shifts. Japanese pride and all.

So yeah, stuff like this isn't surprising.
I feel like even other Japanese companies like Sega, Capcom, and Namco are generally less an** on stuff like this. Nintendo is a special breed run by a bunch of ultraconservative old geezers at the top.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I feel like even other Japanese companies like Sega, Capcom, and Namco are generally less an** on stuff like this. Nintendo is a special breed run by a bunch of ultraconservative old geezers at the top.
That's because these companies are far more involved in their games' scenes, if not outright the ones organizing everything to begin with, so they can directly change anything they don't like without much of a fuss instead of sending ninjas from the shadows.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I feel like even other Japanese companies like Sega, Capcom, and Namco I feel are less an** generally on stuff like this. Nintendo is a special breed run by a bunch of ultraconservative old geezers at the top.
It's not (just) ultraconservative old geezers, but another reason is likely (I should re-emphasize this) that the inner workings of Nintendo's consoles are a trade secret. And they're developed and maintained in secret. What happens if the secret comes out? In the eyes of many of Nintendo's higher representatives like Miyamoto, that'd be like opening Pandora's Box. Especially since, in the eyes of Nintendo's organizational culture, they have a family friendly image to protect.

Although I agree, I thought it was the American branch that sent the Seek & Destroy?
It was the NoA branch that sent the C&D, yes.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Although I agree, I thought it was the American branch that sent the Seek & Destroy?
First off, it's Cease and Desist. Seek and Destroy is too badass of a name for what kind of action it is :p

Second, it's still the branch of a Japanese company, and are likely following the guidelines of these "Japanese old geezers", so the statement still applies.

Last edited:
Hopefully Slippi helps force Nintendo to consider much stronger online.
If anything, they should bring the people (person?) developing Slippi into the fold. I know there's a language barrier, but having a small overseas team to rework online functionality of old games could help Nintendo learn how good online works so they could eventually bring it to new games. We'd get some really good content on the side, so it would be a win for everyone.

They won't actually do it, but we can dream.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It's not (just) ultraconservative old geezers, but another reason is likely (I should re-emphasize this) that the inner workings of Nintendo's consoles are a trade secret. And they're developed and maintained in secret. What happens if the secret comes out? In the eyes of many of Nintendo's higher representatives like Miyamoto, that'd be like opening Pandora's Box. Especially since, in the eyes of Nintendo's organizational culture, they have a family friendly image to protect.
Kind of puts into perspective just how significant the big Nintendo leak was doesn't it?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
You think they are gonna keep the japanophobic prosecutor in The Great Ace Attorny the same or will they change him to not hate the Japanese, you think
I think they'll keep the general theme of xenophobia, but generally turn down specific instances of racism based on nationality.

Basically, I'm expecting a lot of instances of characters being insulted for being "foreigners", when the original intent of the Japanese script was to have the character in question react as a Victorian socialite would upon meeting someone from another culture.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
on the topic of the game awards, I remember last year. There ain’t gonna be jack diddly, nor his friend squat.
What about the year before that? Dim not saying to get your hopes up but both 2017 and 2018 was pretty lit for Nintendo at The Game Awards.

2017:
Bayonetta 1 +2 Switch
Bayonetta 3
Breath of the Wild DLC
2018:
Joker in Smash
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
2019:
Bravely Default II
No More Heroes III

One bad year doesn’t mean this year has to be.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I guess for me in a year where Nintendo has greatly shifted their strategy/timing for game reveals and announcements (largely due to Covid admittedly) its easy for me to imagine them feeling safe in withholding major elements from TGA in favor of a week by week rollout beginning in January like they did this summer/fall.

If there's multiplatform games coming out for Switch, I'm sure they can get a focus, but I have my doubts about any significant Nintendo exclusives being shown off.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
What about the year before that? Dim not saying to get your hopes up but both 2017 and 2018 was pretty lit for Nintendo at The Game Awards.

2017:
Bayonetta 1 +2 Switch
Bayonetta 3
Breath of the Wild DLC
2018:
Joker in Smash
2019:
Bravely Default II
No More Heroes III

How was 2019 a bad year?

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace

2017:
Bayonetta 1 +2 Switch
Bayonetta 3
Breath of the Wild DLC
2018:
Joker in Smash
2019:
Bravely Default II
No More Heroes III

i meant simply in terms of Smash reveals. I'd LOVE to be wrong, but i'm not ramping up the expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom