• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Forgot initially that :ultduckhunt: is in too, but then again, the :ultduckhunt: vs. :ultjigglypuff: matchup caused a commentator to fall asleep live on stream.
Holy ****, 2:30 on the clock and it was actually the third match. At this point you might as well watch paint dry. :roll:
I looked up a Duck Hunt Vs. Jigglypuff match, and it's probably the funniest matchup I've ever seen. How on earth could someone fall asleep to that or call it boring?

Like, Duck Hunt is a setup zoner, and Jigglypuff is evasion the character, so the entire things is like
:ultduckhunt:"Make a mistake!"
:ultjigglypuff:"No U!"

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
That's completely okay. It's a completely valid point and no one should have a problem with that

Is just that everytime TLOU2 gets mentioned in the thread is usually because someone has the sudden need of reminding the rest of the thread "how bad it is", which is a bit tiring by the way, and discussions about the game always end similarly.

We've reached to the point that it's pointless to talk about the game because the 5 or 6 users that always participate in those discussions (myself included) have already stated their points of view multiple times through all this time. That's why I feel that bringing back this topic is a waste of time, not because we can't debate but because it's pretty obvious no one will change their mind, not to say that this isn't really the best place to discuss this.

Like, it's understandable that TLOU2 gets some mentions because it's a popular game and all, but sometimes this seems the "Last of Us Speculation Thread" rather than "Newcomer Speculation Thread". And yes, I'm aware that I have part of fault for that lol
Agreed. And I don’t know if I said this before but I do LIKE TLoU2 I just don’t LOVE it. But yeah. I should stop bringing it up because it does seem to be a touchy subject oddly enough.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
What's everyone thinking concerning the next reveal? Are you expecting something from TGA or a last minute Direct?

Or are you in the boat that believes we ain't gonna see the next FP newcomer until after the first of the year?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What's everyone thinking concerning the next reveal? Are you expecting something from TGA or a last minute Direct?

Or are you in the boat that believes we ain't gonna see the next FP newcomer until after the first of the year?
It's probably going to be in January, with the possibility of it happening at The Game Awards.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Most Sonic sets are even worse. They typically straight up go to time.
To be fair, with Sonics at least you get something zooming across the screen at high speeds. :4pacman:

I looked up a Duck Hunt Vs. Jigglypuff match, and it's probably the funniest matchup I've ever seen. How on earth could someone fall asleep to that or call it boring?
I think you answered your own question... :roll:

Like, Duck Hunt is a setup zoner, and Jigglypuff is evasion the character, so the entire things is like

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
...The series might as well have died with 4, cause I don't see it rising back to fame any time soon.
It’s probably for the best if they give Dead Rising a rest after how bad 4 was. The best case scenario would be to do a RE2 style remake around 2025 or 2026 for the 20 year anniversary, then use that to bring it back.

Arthur in Smash would be cool. He’s not my ideal Capcom choice, not even my ideal retro Capcom pick (Haggar, babyyy). But I think he could be hype. I’m honestly down for any Capcom character though lol

ZelDan

Smash Master

I could see a TGA reveal happening. It happened in 2018 and from what I hear Byleth was considered being shown in the 2019 VGAs, and while it didn't happen, it still shows having Smash at the TGAs was on Nintendo's mind at the time. if we did get a character reveal though I could see us waiting until 2021 for the actual showcase and release similar to how they handled Joker.

But I could certainly see us waiting until January for the reveal as well.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
There are two "Megaman The Power Fighters" games, but those are less fighting games and more Arcade Boss Shoot-em ups kinda like Cuphead.
These aren't the games I was thinking of...the one I remember was definitely two player (against each other).

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So Arthur's the topic at hand? A rundown on his potential would be nice; All I really know is that GnG is one of those brutally painful games that folds you in half like a sheet of paper.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It's probably going to be in January, with the possibility of it happening at The Game Awards.
Which is due to air on the 10th of December.

If not that then the only other possibility is a last minute Direct or Sakurai Presents. I'm frankly not banking on either of those happening, though.

I could see a TGA reveal happening. It happened in 2018 and from what I hear Byleth was considered being shown in the 2019 VGAs, and while it didn't happen, it still shows having Smash at the TGAs was on Nintendo's mind at the time. if we did get a character reveal though I could see us waiting until 2021 for the actual showcase and release similar to how they handled Joker.

But I could certainly see us waiting until January for the reveal as well.
Does anyone have a source for that Byleth info? That'd be interesting if it's true, and certainly news to me.

If it is true, then I'll be honest, it actually might mean we're more likely to get another TGA reveal this time since they missed out last round.

SKX31

Smash Master

Well, that's a good perspective to see it as. That said, it's boring from perspectives who think "The best defense is a good offense".

Thinking:

• The most likely is a random shadowdropped reveal / last minute Direct IMO, since that's how most characters have been revealed. January looks semi-likely, but won't discount as early as late November since the Steve presentation was filmed mid-August.
  • TGA seems like a close second, although there's a lack of precendence surrounding it. Crash and Dante to me look like frontrunners in this scenario, but LoL is the primary darkhorse IMO since it's consistently featured in the e-sports category.

Ivander

Smash Legend
So Arthur's the topic at hand? A rundown on his potential would be nice; All I really know is that GnG is one of those brutally painful games that folds you in half like a sheet of paper.
Basically, continuing the trend of "Capcom characters just fit in so easily in Smash Bros". Gameplay-wise, Arthur would be like Mega Man mixed with Simon Belmont.

Edit: Also, fun fact. This Arthur had a girl form before Fate's Artoria was even a thing.

Basically, in the game, there's an enemy that can transform Arthur into a weaker form and depending on what Arthur has as his armor, he has 4 different possible transformations. If he has the Gold armor, he becomes a girl that is capable of actually not getting hit, compared to the other forms which are much more limited. Basically, the enemy punishes you for being at 1-hit from death whereas it gives you a decent chance when at 4-hits.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think you answered your own question... :roll:
No, I don't think I did.

But seriously though, there's a lot of action there what with Jigglypuff bobbing and weaving through Duck Hunt's elaborate setups, and then getting shot in the face for a 40% combo.

At the very least, it's more entertaining than the zoners who have their bubble and nothing happens until the not zoner can invade that bubble. And of course, it's certainly more entertaining then matchups where they just kinda...stand there.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
No, I don't think I did.
He's pointing out how the two completely cancel each other out, leading to a lot of camping and non-interactions.

Doesn't help that Puff is generally hated by competitive fans due to how defensive her gameplay is and, for Melee in particular, being the embodiment of "play lame, win game"

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
AA7 not releasing until at least 2025 shouldn't be too surprising considering the news earlier this year about Yamazaki leaving Capcom. Long gaps between AA mainline games happened before and this isn't anything new.

Also gotta love how Ultra SF6 is already planned this far ahead lol. Some things will never change.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Puff deserves more respect for her defensive air game.

Back in the day my Jigglypuff was feared among my circle of Brawl friends.
Unfortunately, Melee spoiled the fans with high-octane, technical-heavy playstyles to the point where Puff had talks of being banned in Melee for being different. Literally no other reason. Puff isn't even a top 3 character nor a common pick among high-level players either, so she didn't really overtake the meta.

This didn't happen for other games simply because Puff has consistently been one of the worst characters in subsequent games, making talks of banning extremely ridiculous when Puff isn't viable to begin with.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Thinking:

• The most likely is a random shadowdropped reveal / last minute Direct IMO, since that's how most characters have been revealed. January looks semi-likely, but won't discount as early as late November since the Steve presentation was filmed mid-August.
  • TGA seems like a close second, although there's a lack of precendence surrounding it. Crash and Dante to me look like frontrunners in this scenario, but LoL is the primary darkhorse IMO since it's consistently featured in the e-sports category.
Eh, November seems a bit early to me since Steve was revealed just last month...

But these times are really freaking weird so I guess it's possible. I'm thinking December/January is the most realistic time for it, in any case.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
AA7 not releasing until at least 2025 shouldn't be too surprising considering the news earlier this year about Yamazaki leaving Capcom. Long gaps between AA mainline games happened before and this isn't anything new.

Also gotta love how Ultra SF6 is already planned this far ahead lol. Some things will never change.
On the other hand, other games like the new Ghosts 'n Goblins and that Arcade Stadium thing aren't on the schedule either so it's possible that it's incomplete and AA7 is releasing sooner.

Apparently the DGS team is supposed to transition to AA7 after they're done with the ports, too, so take that as you will.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Unfortunately, Melee spoiled the fans with high-octane, technical-heavy playstyles to the point where Puff had talks of being banned in Melee for being different. Literally no other reason. Puff isn't even a top 3 character nor a common pick among high-level players either, so she didn't really overtake the meta.

This didn't happen for other games simply because Puff has consistently been one of the worst characters in subsequent games, making talks of banning extremely ridiculous when Puff isn't viable to begin with.
She plays differently, but the fact that she doesn't play like say, Fox, Falco or Sheik, earned her a very unfair poor reputation, imo. She's still got some seriously huge wins under her belt, though, so even with that poor reputation, I'm glad about that.

Ultimate's pretty much the only game since Melee where Puff seems to be decent again. Not as bad as Brawl or especially 4, but she remains far from top tier material anymore.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

January 2021 reveal with the announcement of a Sakurai presents.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Reveal at either TGA or January (moreso January).

Release at either January or February.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You know, It's kinda weird how of the four most well known and common fighting game archetypes (Rush Down, Grappler, Zoner, All-Rounder), two of them are almost universally hated. Is it because the game mechanics don't generally support these styles of play? It can't be that they're inherently bad design because they'd have stopped being done (and people wouldn't like Marth).

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
You know, It's kinda weird how of the four most well known and common fighting game archetypes (Rush Down, Grappler, Zoner, All-Rounder), two of them are almost universally hated. Is it because the game mechanics don't generally support these styles of play? It can't be that they're inherently bad design because they'd have stopped being done (and people wouldn't like Marth).
Like I pointed out when I talked about why people hate Puff, it's primarly because of how much competitive players were spoiled with Melee.

Anything that doesn't allow for rushdown plays will be hated because it diverges further from what Melee (accidentally) was.

Then again, Smash fans being pretentious because of how spoiled they are is nothing new.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
As someone who’s actually a ResetEra member

I have never seen anyone called anyone transphobic and homophobic for disliking the game, unless you are actually using transphobic and homophobic reasonings

If didn’t like it’s “out of order“ storytelling, then that’s fine, but if your one of the people that unironically thinks or make jokes about Abby somehow looking like a dude, or you dislike the romance, not because on how written, because it has lesbians, then yeah, you are rightfully gonna get called out

and for some reason, there way to many people on the internet who don’t understand “let me criticize something for how it’s written, not whatever or not it’s agrees or disagree with my biases and views of the real world“

It’s even more ironic, cause while half of site dose indeed enjoy the game, they are also critical of how they handle some of it’s “progressive“ elements

More specifically, alot of people think the game is somewhat transphobic due to
how they handle a actual trans character in the story

You can debate whatever or not they overreacting or “it’s never enough for these people“ and my apologies for bringing up TLOU2 discourse, but I hate it when people just causally just lump communities (especially ones I’m in) a in borde stroke. When reailty there are just as many people who don’t like or are mix on the game on there as well

I have my problems with the site aswell, but I also have some problems with this community aswell, and you don’t see me painting all you guys as ”anime hating nitpickers who are all impatient and likes/hate Geno”

Like TLOU2 itself , the real world is suppose to be nuance and shows that not everyone and everything as black and white as it seems, people have there reasons why they believe and chose the views that they seem fit, but I’m starting to think maybe that we are sadly far form the case and people want it to be black and white, just be seeing some of these replies
oh Ive seen users on there say that people are just homophobic, ect, for not liking the game. Even on discored, someone assumed I was consivetive because I didnt like that game and assuned anyone that didnt was one. i saw it more in the threads dedicated to the game. Trust me, yo may not have seen it, but it happens

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Like I pointed out when I talked about why people hate Puff, it's primarly because of how much competitive players were spoiled with Melee.

Anything that doesn't allow for rushdown plays will be hated because it diverges further from what Melee (accidentally) was.

Then again, Smash fans being pretentious because of how spoiled they are is nothing new.
I wasn't talking about just the Smash community. These characters are hated everywhere.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I wasn't talking about just the Smash community. These characters are hated everywhere.
Oh.... but given how other fighting games play, my answer could be basically universal.

People hate zoners because they have range so rushdowns can't rush down.

And people hate grapplers because rushdowns rushing down is now a risk.

It all comes down to people hating the fact that their adrenaline rush is denied.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
It's moreso because of the emotions these characters are designed to play around or incite in your opponent. Grapplers make people not want to stay in range, because then you risk getting bodied (fear) and zoners are designed to slowly kill your patience and force you to make mistakes (anger). The other two tend to be more straightforward, so there's arguably less room to be "against" them.

Core-A gaming has a good video on the matter:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
On the other hand, other games like the new Ghosts 'n Goblins and that Arcade Stadium thing aren't on the schedule either so it's possible that it's incomplete and AA7 is releasing sooner.

Apparently the DGS team is supposed to transition to AA7 after they're done with the ports, too, so take that as you will.
Exactly.
Even if AA7 has never started development as of now, that part about DGS team moving to AA7, which is supposed to be in pre-production at that point, is something that in my opinion suggests that at least Capcom has considered developing AA7.

I don't think an Ace Attorney game would take 4-5 years to develop like, at all. Even if it's the first new entry in HD and with better 3D models and all. 4-5 years of development is more appropiate for AAA games, and Ace Attorney 7 shouldn't take that long (unless they're stuck in development hell or something).

I guess we'll have to wait and see if more info comes out to clarify the state of AA7. Personally, I believe AA7 is highly likely because in my opinion, if they're okay with localizing DGS1 and 2 for the first time (instead of going with AA4-6 first, which would be the safest move), I don't see why they wouldn't greenlight AA7. Yeah, a new game will always take more resources, but a mainline Ace Attorney game will also make more buzz and will perform better than the re-release of a spin-off, despite of it's quality and how much fans have been asking for it in the West.

Maybe they will prove me wrong... I hope that's not the case lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom