• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Its been leaked 60 GB out of 1 TB, there a lot of info still to be leaked, maybe we get something regarding smash, at least some old stuff like how Ryu or Megaman got to Smash first.
Some Smash info would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath for anything new... and I'm more interested in any info involving the phrases "Darkstalkers" and "Versus Series" anyway.

Capcom doing a Ace Attorney collection but not including 4, 5 and 6? I can totally see it lmao
Though judging by the photo it includes the Japan exclusive games. That's cool.
I can't read Japanese, so I've no idea what it says about the collection, but it looks like just a physical version of the Ace Attorney HD Trilogy that was already released... or is this supposed to be a new collection with more games?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Some Smash info would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath for anything new... and I'm more interested in any info involving the phrases "Darkstalkers" and "Versus Series" anyway.

I can't read Japanese, so I've no idea what it says about the collection, but it looks like just a physical version of the Ace Attorney HD Trilogy that was already released... or is this supposed to be a new collection with more games?
I just saw the pictures, and the collection is the original trilogy plus the The Great Ace Attorney Duology, which never came out outside of Japan.

I'm assuming they would release it on the West as well because the picture is in japanese and all. I think doing a 4-5-6 collection plus the duology would be cooler, because people who already bought the original trilogy HD might not pick this one "just" for the Great Ace Attorney duology.

Them localizing those 2 games would be a great sign but at the same time the absence of AA4, 5 and 6 is a bit worrying in my opinion.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well they're a different type of ARPG from Dark Souls, but they're still ARPGs. It's like saying Skyrim isn't an RPG because it has a higher focus on real-time combat. In fact, go ahead and look up what games would qualify and I imagine those 2 would be the first to pop up.
I'm just don't like the fact that games that have basically nothing to do with each other mechanically would be considered a part of the same genre. Aside from special cases like the party genre where it's more to describe games that are good for parties (as an oversimplification), it defeats the purpose of genres in the first place. That's why I was advocating for the subgenres. From what I've seen from Dark Souls, it looks more akin to The Legend of Zelda than it does an actual RPG so that's why I said it wasn't one.

Okay, but what's the line between something with RPG elements and something that is an RPG?

I present to you the following edge cases:
  • Borderlands
  • The Binding of Isaac
  • The Legend of Zelda
...Also, I wouldn't consider Xenoblade an action RPG, necessarily.
I don't think any of these of these are RPGs.
  • Borderlands is a first person shooter that put stats on its guns and added skill trees. It's probably the one you could make the strongest case for though.
  • The Binding of Isaac is top down The Legend of Zelda as a Rouguelike.
  • The Legend of Zelda is classified as an action-adventure series, but that's a pretty meaningless genre. While I don't exactly know what to call it, I definitely wouldn't call it an RPG.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It'll probably be several weeks if not longer before we get any official major developments.

Leaks could always still come out of the blue, but I personally don't give a crap about those anymore. Ultimate hasn't had a major leak in quite sometime, outside of the Hero/Erdrick, that I can recall at least. Correct me if I'm wrong lol.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I just saw the pictures, and the collection is the original trilogy plus the The Great Ace Attorney Duology, which never came out outside of Japan.

I'm assuming they would release it on the West as well because the picture is in japanese and all. I think doing a 4-5-6 collection plus the duology would be cooler, because people who already bought the original trilogy HD might not pick this one "just" for the Great Ace Attorney duology.

Them localizing those 2 games would be a great sign but at the same time the absence of AA4, 5 and 6 is a bit worrying in my opinion.
Wait, I thought those two games were in their own collection, based on the image.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
It'll probably be several weeks if not longer before we get any official major developments.

Leaks could always still come out of the blue, but I personally don't give a crap about those anymore. Ultimate hasn't had a major leak in quite sometime, outside of the Hero/Erdrick, that I can recall at least. Correct me if I'm wrong lol.
There was an SNK copyright leak back in...late August, I believe?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'm just don't like the fact that games that have basically nothing to do with each other mechanically would be considered a part of the same genre. Aside from special cases like the party genre where it's more to describe games that are good for parties (as an oversimplification), it defeats the purpose of genres in the first place. That's why I was advocating for the subgenres. From what I've seen from Dark Souls, it looks more akin to The Legend of Zelda than it does an actual RPG so that's why I said it wasn't one.

I don't think any of these of these are RPGs.
  • Borderlands is a first person shooter that put stats on its guns and added skill trees. It's probably the one you could make the strongest case for though.
  • The Binding of Isaac is top down The Legend of Zelda as a Rouguelike.
  • The Legend of Zelda is classified as an action-adventure series, but that's a pretty meaningless genre. While I don't exactly know what to call it, I definitely wouldn't call it an RPG.
Dark Souls literally has a levelling and innate stat building element to it that's important for using weapons, magic and armour.

It's as RPG as you can get

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Well, there's also the two Ace Attorney Investigations games, one of which is infamous for not being officially released in the West despite fans begging for it. Maybe they're saving 4, 5 and 6 for another collection with the Investigations games?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
August 2019 on the Fighter's Pass DLC page an SNK Copyright appeared and then Terry was revealed about a month later. so yes it did.
Oh, Perk said it was back in late August, so I assumed he meant August of this year.

I was gonna say, I wasn't sure exactly how a SNK copyright leak would've had any bearing on Smash by that point in time.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I just want AAI2... :c I hope they do an Investigations collection

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
1603861683475.png

What's an ironic weeb?
From my understanding, an ironic weeb is someone who likes anime and anime games (like a typical weeb) but is insecure about it and probably wouldn't be open about it in an unironic fashion. Urban Dictionary has two definitions for this term (for some peculiar reason), and The Self-Hating Weeb has a video on this topic as well if you're interested (be warned that there's swearing though).
Okay, but what's the line between something with RPG elements and something that is an RPG?

I present to you the following edge cases:
  • Borderlands
  • The Binding of Isaac
  • The Legend of Zelda
...Also, I wouldn't consider Xenoblade an action RPG, necessarily.
  • Borderlands is an ARPG, even though it plays like an FPS. It has skill trees, a leveling system, different classes to choose from (with customizable parts), main and side quests, your character has stats, and you can find and buy better weapons and stuff.
  • The Legend of Zelda is debatable. I personally think it isn't an RPG, even though it has RPG elements and has had a major influence on RPG games.
  • I'm not sure about The Binding of Isaac because I haven't played it yet. If its RPG elements are implemented in a similar fashin as a game such as Nuclear Throne, then no.
  • I'm not sure about the first Xenoblade, but XC2 is... kind of in a weird spot. I'm not sure whether I agree or disagree with you on it not being an ARPG. For sure, it's an RPG (and a monster collection/gacha), but its combat has RTS elements.
The Capcom leaks are real. It may contain some info regarding a Capcom fighter for Smash Ultimate. It may also not.
I think it has the same problem with the "Activision leak" in which even if it's real, some burro could've edited it to include that one line just to play us the fool. (It happened before with some news regarding Devil May Cry.)

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
There are multiple photos and even a .pdf file of 45 pages about Monster Hunter Stories 2 with super detailed info.

It's not fake.

Also I doubt Nintendo is happy with this. I mean... this clearly says Monster Hunter Rise and Stories 2 will release on PC at a later date (January 2022 I think).

Edit: Also the fact they leaked the source code of Devil May Cry 2 of all things is... bizarre lol

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So the Capcom one is real

still think the Bandai Namco one is fake and Tekken 7’s 4th season being the last is a coincidence and not tied to the “leak”

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
There are multiple photos and even a .pdf file of 45 pages about Monster Hunter Stories 2 with super detailed info.

It's not fake.

Also I doubt Nintendo is happy with this. I mean... this clearly says Monster Hunter Rise and Stories 2 will release on PC at a later date (January 2022 I think).

Edit: Also the fact they leaked the source code of Devil May Cry 2 of all things is... bizarre lol
Welp, now we gotta deal with THIS problem, I just know it...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's interesting stuff, but as far as I can tell, nothing in these leaks suggest a Smash character.

Even if every single one of these games are real, I'd be surprised if any of them would be used to tie in a Smash character. Out of every third-party in Ultimate (and possibly Smash as a whole), Hero is the only one who was released around the same time as a new game, and that probably wouldn't have happened if the orginal plan of releasing him in the base roster went smoothly.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's interesting stuff, but as far as I can tell, nothing in these leaks suggest a Smash character.

Even if every single one of these games are real, I'd be surprised if any of them would be used to tie in a Smash character. Out of every third-party in Ultimate (and possibly Smash as a whole), Hero is the only one who was released around the same time as a new game, and that probably wouldn't have happened if the orginal plan of releasing him in the base roster went smoothly.
At the same time though, I highly doubt they're actively avoiding it. My thinking is still that if Nintendo's looking for a Capcom character, they're going to go for one of the ones that are doing things on Ninetendo consoles as opposed to the others. I think these games help Phoenix Wright in this regard, and while I wouldn't say he's more likely than a Monster Hunter character, I do think this makes him more likely than Dante.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So by some chance we do get FP8 teased at most during the VGA. What characters do you guys feel fits as a VGA reveal?

From the top of my head.

2B
Crash Bandicoot
Dante
Doom Slayer
Ryu Hayabusa

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
What problem? Does this leak have anything to do with Super Smash Bros. or are you just anticipating the "new game = they in" mentality?
The mentality, and the fact that they might have leaked the fact that two major Switch exclusives won't actually be Switch exclusives before the games are even out. There's gonna be people who'll decide they'd rather wait than buy them on Switch. You know the ones...

cashregister9

Smash Hero
This leak is mostly a bunch of Private information of Capcom employees like Emails and the like so If anything Smash related comes out of this it might be an email between Capcom, Nintendo and Bandai Namco but even then, Ehh probably not, They probably lock that **** behind lock and key. and I hope people aren't digging through peoples personal emails that is creepy and actually illegal,

So by some chance we do get FP8 teased at most during the VGA. What characters do you guys feel fits as a VGA reveal?

From the top of my head.

2B
Crash Bandicoot
Dante
Doom Slayer
Ryu Hayabusa
I think it is impossible to tell who could potentially be revealed at the Game Awards did anyone think Joker Persona 5 would be revealed at the Game Awards? and from what I can tell Byleth was also planned to be revealed at the TGA's

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131

From the top of my head.

2B
Crash Bandicoot
Dante
Doom Slayer
Ryu Hayabusa
If we were to get a TGA reveal this year, I think it would be a character that had a major release this year such as, but (obviously) not limited to, Crash or Doomguy.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

From the top of my head.

2B
Crash Bandicoot
Dante
Doom Slayer
Ryu Hayabusa
I'd add Geno to that list. It's a super long shot, but I could see it, especially if partnered with a Super Mario RPG remake or rerelease or something.

It still begs the question as to why it wasn't announced during the anniversary roadmap video thing, but if it were to happen, I could see the reasoning being Steve being scheduled to appear before Minecon.

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I don't expect any new fighter announcements until February at the earliest, although I anticipate that there will be a new fighter at the end of each Quarter of next year (March, June, September, December). I'm especially skeptical of thinking there will be a "TGA reveal" because we thought that there would be one last year... and thus, we were made the butt end of a joke.
That's a month and 2 days too many.
That's too long for you?
1604340097160.jpg

Shroob

Sup?
I don't expect any new fighter announcements until February at the earliest, although I anticipate that there will be a new fighter at the end of each Quarter of next year (March, June, September, December). I'm especially skeptical of thinking there will be a "TGA reveal" because we thought that there would be one last year... and thus, we were made the butt end of a joke.

That's too long for you?
View attachment 291972
I feel like Feb is a little 'too' pessimistic tbh.

Like, January 21st will be exactly 100 days since Steve came out, and the longest gap between fighters was Min Min to Steve at 101 days.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I feel like Feb is a little 'too' pessimistic tbh.

Like, January 21st will be exactly 100 days since Steve came out, and the longest gap between fighters was Min Min to Steve at 101 days.
I don't see why it is pessimistic, considering how the devs will (likely) be taking the usual holidy break and (to a lesser extent) that COVID's recently had a spike in cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom