• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Also, I got to Ask

Vergeben Never did Bring back any info about League of Legends did he. He did say he was going to Look into it, but it's been 6-7 months and no results. I don' know if this is good or bad

I will say though on League, If it Did get into smash, would be kind of a Gamble for Nintendo to take. To my Knowledge League of Legends being on Consoles is very Recent, And that might also extend to other MOBAs.

So this would mean there's little Background data and how well Games like League do with Nintendo Audiences, which is something that I don't think any of the 3rd parties ever have faced. Even With Joker, which while Persona was barely on Nintendo Platforms, Shin Megami Tensi is on Nintendo Platforms is known to have a Audience. It's also probably why Reggie or Sakurai mention the relationship between Shin Megami Tensi and Nintendo in regards to Persona in Smash

I think with Steve in FP2, Nintendo could afford to take Gambles, especially with Something as Popular as League anyway

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't either, but I would also like to refute the idea that blank slate characters are lesser characters. They just serve a different purpose. Some, like Ness or Steve, are your anchor to the world; The eyes you see it through. Others, like a lot of MMO avatars, are pure wish fulfillment, and they exist to allow you to live out your fantasies of being powerful adventurers that save the world every Tuesday. Others still are just as explored as characters as any other. For example, Lucas never speaks, but the events that happen through the story and the way that characters talk to/about him show you the struggles of the character, and who they became as they overcame them.

Of course, all of these can be done poorly, but the ones that are done well should get credit where credit is due. And please note, I'm not expecting people to like blank slate characters either, just acknowledge their merits. I mean, who's to say a multifaceted character who is the center of an 11/10 plot with riveting twists and turns is any better than a childlike, vaguely human character who allows you to roam a planetoid that you get to shape to your liking, chill with the humanoid animals that live on it, and relax. They're apples and oranges really.
Legitimate question I'm posing to you specifically- is it possible for this thread to just, discuss one character, rather than having to jump in 45 times with 'no this is why everything else makes more sense?' What is that old addage of comparison not making an individual happy?

I mean, a good chunk of Nintendo's early characters started out with very little personality besides what they could do with limited technology at the time and supplementary material.

A good chunk of them remained heroic mimes to have them act as avatars or because it wasn't necessary for them to be fully-fleshed out characters. Mario only shows so much personality, and very little dialogue, but most people don't play nor enjoy Mario games because of how well of a developed character he is.

What even started this topic again?
Asking to discuss and consider the possibility of another character. Which didn't happen in the slightest. Because it is the internet, where it is apparently more fun to be contrary than to imagine.
EDIT: Actually, it is my fault. I stated an opinion that gave way for this entire conversation to be completely derailed and trolled.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also, I got to Ask

Vergeben Never did Bring back any info about League of Legends did he. He did say he was going to Look into it, but it's been 6-7 months and no results. I don' know if this is good or bad

I will say though on League, If it Did get into smash, would be kind of a Gamble for Nintendo to take. To my Knowledge League of Legends being on Consoles is very Recent, And that might also extend to other MOBAs.

So this would mean there's little Background data and how well Games like League do with Nintendo Audiences, which is something that I don't think any of the 3rd parties ever have faced. Even With Joker, which while Persona was barely on Nintendo Platforms, Shin Megami Tensi is on Nintendo Platforms is known to have a Audience. It's also probably why Reggie or Sakurai mention the relationship between Shin Megami Tensi and Nintendo in regards to Persona in Smash

I think with Steve in FP2, Nintendo could afford to take Gambles, especially with Something as Popular as League anyway
The last time he ever said anything about it was the original “I’ll look into it” back in April (whole topic has since been deleted). When returning to talk about the 5 year plan thing with Steve, I do believe someone asked him about the LoL rumor but he didn’t answer them.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So do you guys think we'll be getting another big reveal character like Steve or do you think he's the only one?

I feel he was the Banjo of this Pass and so that's all we're getting. Everyone else will be a surprise reveal/"Sakurai pick" (2B for example), 1st party (Rex or Gen 8 Pokemon), legacy characters (Ryu Hayabusa for example), and lesser-known 3rd parties.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So do you guys think we'll be getting another big reveal character like Steve or do you think he's the only one?

I feel he was the Banjo of this Pass and so that's all we're getting. Everyone else will be a surprise reveal/"Sakurai pick" (2B for example), 1st party (Rex or Gen 8 Pokemon), and lesser-known 3rd party.
I’d argue Steve is closer to Hero than Banjo, as Hero is Minecraft huge but only in Japan, Steve is huge EVERYWHERE. Banjo’s just a fan fave among the Smash community in comparison.

but I have a feeling either the Crash rumors or the LoL rumor may happen. PROBABLY not both tho, at least not in the same pass. Those are two examples I can think of as being a really big crashing Twitter kind of deal

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
For a series well-known for having guest characters, Soul Calibur hasn't really crossed over with other series that much for some reason. The only notable guest appearance I'm aware of is Sophitia being in a Warriors game, which is frankly kind of a low bar, honestly. Of course, the lack of previous crossovers doesn't really affect a character's chances, but it's still something I find abnormal for a series as big as Soul Calibur.
Hmm... 2B, Link, Darth Vader.......... those names get bigger and bigger. Do you mean having their own characters in other franchises?

Or a boss, maybe. Here’s a potential battle that I commissioned for TKOWL TKOWL :
View attachment 291858
You do some fun work. Where can we see more?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
No one can compare to Steve in terms of international broad hype, but I'm still expecting 1-3 notable third parties in the rest of the pass. Fighters at the level of a Dante/Crash/Sora level of fame (not necessarily them specifically) wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Well, from a game perspective- yes, Minecraft Did sell the most copies.
But there are bigger game series, and bigger franchises (meaning, games + other media). We have talked about a few of them. Space Invaders, GTA, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider- the power of movies, in particular, is pretty potent.
I am not downplaying the prominence of Steve, but rather, there are other characters that have a very, very, vast audience.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Tomb Raider
Which is funny given there is more demand for Geno, and Sora despite Lara Croft being big in the 90s and icon being the female video game protagonist. You would honestly think she'd be requested more. Probably has to do with the fact in many eyes she brings nothing interesting or new having no powers...

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Hmm... 2B, Link, Darth Vader.......... those names get bigger and bigger. Do you mean having their own characters in other franchises?
Yeah. Looked up if there was anything else and I found Namco X Capcom, which appears to have evolved into Project X Zone from what I understand. Pacman Fever also existed and had Astaroth of all characters.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Which is funny given there is more demand for Geno, and Sora despite Lara Croft being big in the 90s and icon being the female video game protagonist. You would honestly think she'd be requested more. Probably has to do with the fact in many eyes she brings nothing interesting...
They got two academy award winning actresses to play her in movies. That's a big deal to a movie nerd like myself.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
They got two academy award winning actresses to play her in movies. That's a big deal to a movie nerd like myself.
What does that have to do with fan demand though regarding Smash? Especially the fact she's overshadowed by a side character who only and last appeared in a 20+ year game and a series that is pretty much just crossover fanfiction between Disney movies and Final Fantasy in terms of request and fan demand.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think We Might get another Fighting game character, And I think Arc System might have spoiled that fact

I don't see Guilty Gear of Blazblue being completely absent from Smash, considering how Important to Arc System they are, but If they were costumes and no other Fighting game character was in, I think they would have came with Min-Min, Unless they talked to Arc Systems late

Fighting game Costumes coming with Fighting game characters is the one Mii Pattern I think everyone can agree is an actual thing, so yes

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Lara just falls into the category of everybody knowing her and a decent amount liking her, but not that many really attached to her.

Its like the difference between Double Dragon and Streets or Rage. The former is arguably more well known but the latter has more interest when it came to their characters getting into Smash.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That said, Lara Croft is an overlooked character and many shouldn't be surprised if she ends up being the Square rep picked. I could see her picked as a legacy character.

Plus as it's been mentioned before she's next in line after Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest as Nintendo is with Mario, Pokemon and The Legend of Zelda.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What does that have to do with fan demand though regarding Smash? Especially the fact she's even overshadowed by a side character who last appeared in a 20+ year game.
The community itself- not much.
Potential new people to the community? Just reiterating the point that the franchise is massive and has large appeal.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The community itself- not much.
Potential new people to the community? Just reiterating the point that the franchise is massive and has large appeal.
Which is why it surprises me Geno and Sora are more requested than she is yet at the same time shouldn't be surprising if she's chosen over them especially being her series in next in line of Square's franchises.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Don't worry, Once they put Tomb Raider Collection on Switch, You'll see te Lara Croft Support Skyrocket

For Smash 6 Cause I don't think Lara is happening this game...
I wouldn't underestimate her tbh. As mentioned as Mario, Pokemon, and The Legend of Zelda is to Nintendo. Tomb Raider is to Square being next in line after Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

Could she still not happen, likely but I wouldn't rule her out yet.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
It would be easier to talk about Lara Croft if 80-90% of the conversations about her weren't just.

"You guys are sleeping on Lara Croft"

"Yeah she would be pretty cool"

repeat ad nauseum

it's not 100% because there have been genuine discussions about her chances with moveset ideas and all that but a good chunk of the time it is the exact same discussion

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I wouldn't underestimate her tbh. As mentioned as Mario, Pokemon, and The Legend of Zelda is to Nintendo. Tomb Raider is to Square being next in line after Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

Actually, it's Kingdom Hearts, but that series has problems of its own.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It would be easier to talk about Lara Croft if 80-90% of the conversations about her weren't just.

"You guys are sleeping on Lara Croft"

"Yeah she would be pretty cool"

repeat ad nauseum

it's not 100% because there have been genuine discussions about her chances with moveset ideas and all that but a good chunk of the time it is the exact same discussion
We’ve had literal pages dedicated to whether or not she would take on her Modern or Classic Design and even detracting about whether she deserves it or is relevant.

7NATOR

Smash Master

You Know what, I am gonna underestimate her, because I firmly Do not think she will happen in Smash Ultimate

It's just not her time. She is very Iconic, but like how Geno is stuck in this Weird limbo where while his Merits to being a Playable Smash character is terrible, I would still consider him Likely Because he's heavy in Smash Requests

Lara is stuck in this Weird Limbo where she definitely has the merits to get into Smash, but I don't think in comparison to other characters, she can Clutch a Spot as of right now. she wasn't even in the Seven Squares leak, when Chrono, Geno, Sephiroth, and Sora were, along with the Dragon Quest Characters. I think she will be a Perfect Base roster Character for Smash 6, especially if there are cuts, but not now

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Aside from 2B. What other characters do you guys think could be surprise/"Sakurai picks"?

The only other one that really comes to mind is Kat from Gravity Rush. Man, I would really love her.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Aside from 2B. What other characters do you guys think could be surprise/"Sakurai picks"?

The only other one that really comes to mind is Kat from Gravity Rush. Man, I would really love her.
Unfortunately, Kat is owned by Sony, who really likes not sharing their properties with others.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
We’ve had literal pages dedicated to whether or not she would take on her Modern or Classic Design and even detracting about whether she deserves it or is relevant.
That is very true. I have not read every single page of this thread but from what I can tell discussions like that are the exception not the rule, although I could just be completely missing the point here ¯\(ツ)

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master

I'm gonna need your Definition of a Surprise Pick/Sakurai Pick though

Kat would be cool, especially from a Gameplay Standpoint. though I don't think Kat was the reason sony was chatting with Nintendo at the Spa Smash Tournament. I think Sony is plotting something perhaps though

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
About Lara Croft, you know how Joker wields a gun for his special B move?

For Lara's special B move, she would wield TWO guns!

Yeah, I see the door to my left.

7NATOR

Smash Master
When will this "Sakurai pick" nonsense end?
When We can think Like Sakurai. then "Sakurai Pick" will be our Picks, one and the Same

Joker and Terry for example.
I'm either guessing you mean Characters Common Smash Speculation isn't guessing, or character Sakurai really likes

I don't know about the Last Point, but Most of the characters I actually have on my Mind aren't the Most common.

Scorpion is probably the most Obvious Character in my Current 4 Character Prediction (I Might add league in there as well), and people don't really think he's happening because "Japan". I Also will Always Predict Shadow the Hedgehog will be DLC, despite there being no one else saying that besides Young Kids that Make Very Casual Smash Speculation videos on Youtube

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom