• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I know its a month too early to hear anything, but have there been any rumors or anything? I'm bored.
There aren't any big leaks so I'm going to bring up some small leaks instead.

For one, there's that one old LoL leak. LoL rep, Hollow Knight PreMiium w/Sealed Vessel, Trials of Mana Spirit Event. We all know the drill by now.

In other news, there's a supposed Falcom rumor as well from back in June.
For those who don't feel like looking at /v/'s complete lack of manners, it says this:
Source messaged me this a while back:
Nintendo had been in talks with Falcom and NIS around September of last year.
Discussions were made around adding a character to Smash Ultimate. Discussions went extremely smoothly.
Cannot reveal who the character is but chances are that it's likely pic related (For context, the pic was for Ys I & II Chronicles) or adult Rean Schwarzer.
Trails of Cold Steel spirit event is coming, source didn't specify if it was for 1, 2, 3, or 4. Unsure if it's a random event or related to the character itself.
A lot of music is going to come with the Falcom character, Falcom was very generous. Expect 30+ tracks featuring music from both Trails and Ys.
Discussions with NIS included things like Trails of Cold Steel 3 and 4 coming to the Switch (confirmed). Trails to Zero and Trails to Azure are planned to be announced "soon", at least for the PS4; very likely Switch will get confirmed around the same time.
Ys IX is also coming to the PS4 and Switch in the West. Unsure if it's going to be announced soon or not.
One of the key reasons why Nintendo went to Falcom was their popularity in the Japan/China region. The fact that their games were not graphically demanding ensured that they could stick to the graphical capabilities of Switch/Nintendo for years to come.
At the very least, it got Ys IX right. On the flipside, I think we've come to the conclusion that negotiations for FP2 took place around the E3 2019-ish timeframe, so unless Nintendo and Falcom hit it off really well I'm not sure if this one in particular is correct. Not helping it's case is the fact that only Rean is even mentioned by name, plus the complete lack of Estelle, which makes me think the guy was piggybacking off of that one interview a while back. Still, given the fact that all the Falcom music is composed by a single team, I could picture a tracklist in the 30s.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Would it be possible to actually get 8 fighting game characters in the game from 8 different series?

• Ryu
  • Terry
  • Min Min
  • Punch OUT
How could we get four more?
Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
Nightmare [Soul Calibur]
Nakoruru [Samurai Shodown]
Heihachi [Tekken]

Now for my list of new Nintendo owned franchises that I think deserve a playable character:
Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker. End.

And Blazblue (Ragna).
You're fooling yourself.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
And now for my most wanted Echoes for an echo pass:

• Impa for Sheik, but with BotA glider and cloning available.
  • Sub Zero (after Scorpion is released)
  • Tom Nook for Villager
  • Piplup for Squirtle
  • Grovyle for Captain Falcoln, mixed in with some Greninja
  • Zoraark for Lucario, minus increased strength, but with a fakeout gimming until first attack lands.
  • Dixie Kong Echo for Diddy, with hair grabs, a side barrel throw, and a guitar instead of a gun. Better recovery.
  • Tails as an Echo for Sonic, borrowing some of Dixie's flighgt.
  • Bass or Zero or Protoman for Megaman
  • Gooey for Kirby. You don't swallow, but you can eat.
  • Birdo for Yoshi.
  • Black Falcon as ganondorf.
  • 8 bit Mario,
  • Donky Kong Jr, as a smaller but faster DK. Uses one changed move, a DK vine swing as a b recover.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, after the code leaks and a few other major things over this past year Nintendo has been hammering down on leaks. Anyone who is a leaker has the risk of being blacklisted, being fired, and bei fines/sued. The gigs-leaks were the start but now Nintendo wants to shut down anyone who may have info. I’m actually surprised Vergeben is still around but that guy is safe enough that he only really stays on GameFAQs which is pretty anonymous.
This wait is gonna be torture, ain’t it...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What company is Estelle part of again?
Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
Nightmare [Soul Calibur]
Nakoruru [Samurai Shodown]
Heihachi [Tekken]
Isn't Heihachi deconfirmed due to Mii costume returning? Same with Nakoruru?

How I would see it.

Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
Nightmare (Soulcalibur)
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive given they're the same universe)
Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What company is Estelle part of again?

Isn't Heihachi deconfirmed due to Mii costume returning? Same with Nakoruru?
Falcom for Estelle; also Heihachi is deconfirmed I’d say, as is Nakoruru

For one, there's that one old LoL leak. LoL rep, Hollow Knight PreMiium w/Sealed Vessel, Trials of Mana Spirit Event. We all know the drill by now.

For those who don't feel like looking at /v/'s complete lack of manners, it says this:

At the very least, it got Ys IX right. On the flipside, I think we've come to the conclusion that negotiations for FP2 took place around the E3 2019-ish timeframe, so unless Nintendo and Falcom hit it off really well I'm not sure if this one in particular is correct. Not helping it's case is the fact that only Rean is even mentioned by name, plus the complete lack of Estelle, which makes me think the guy was piggybacking off of that one interview a while back. Still, given the fact that all the Falcom music is composed by a single team, I could picture a tracklist in the 30s.
Hmm... interesting, though I don’t know why they’d need to include NIS and there’s no real killswitches. The LoL leak at least got one thing right (ToM spirits) so I’m just eagerly awaiting the HK costume at this point

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I do actually think Nightmare stands a solid chance of inclusion this go around.

I just personally think that Agumon as more to offer.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I do actually think Nightmare stands a solid chance of inclusion this go around.

Especially now that Heihachi is out of the way.

Though we shouldn't rule out Chosen Undead, Don-chan, and as you mentioned Agumon.

Agumon
Chosen Undead
Don-chan
Lloyd
Nightmare

If Namco does get a rep, it'll be one of these five.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Apparently there's a chance the pummel does 0 % damage.

Amazing.

... Still, the fact that we have no clue when reveals are is incredibly sad.

Why didn't you provide us with a rough roadmap at least Nintendo. To give an example:

Man, that would be perfect. It seems that Sakurai is unhappy with Nintendo’s release schedule (IE. His “It’s about time” Tweet). Maybe he could convince them to atleast do this.

Yeah, after the code leaks and a few other major things over this past year Nintendo has been hammering down on leaks. Anyone who is a leaker has the risk of being blacklisted, being fired, and bei fines/sued. The gigs-leaks were the start but now Nintendo wants to shut down anyone who may have info. I’m actually surprised Vergeben is still around but that guy is safe enough that he only really stays on GameFAQs which is pretty anonymous.
Vergeben seems largely done with Nintendo/Smash leaks too, he hasn’t said too much this year. The recent Koei Tecmo post he made is probably old information he’s had.

I’m not familiar with Falcom is there anything to suggest this could be possible besides that YS western port, which could just be a lucky guess. I’m not familiar with them but a Falcom rep would be cool, I like discovering new series through Smash alongside getting stuff I already love.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Vergeben seems largely done with Nintendo/Smash leaks too, he hasn’t said too much this year. The recent Koei Tecmo post he made is probably old information he’s had.
He did say 'Minecraft content' though and look who we got at the start of the month. Which is why Ryu Hayabusa is worth keeping an eye on.

And before anyone points out the whole 'EnderDragon is a boss'. Its possible he mistook it for Rathatos whose code I recall is called EndDragon, either that or he confused it for EnderDragon's spirit.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Especially now that Heihachi is out of the way.

Though we shouldn't rule out Chosen Undead and as you mentioned Agumon.
I know she’s got a bit of negative reputation due to the ****storm of last December and Xenosaga HD Trilogy being denied, but KOS-MOS should at least be considered as a possibility, minuscule as it may be

same with Klonoa, and a non-Lloyd Tales character as imo we’re so seeing his costume return

tfw nobody, and I mean NOBODY, considers God Eater though :c

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I know she’s got a bit of negative reputation due to the ****storm of last December and Xenosaga HD Trilogy being denied, but KOS-MOS should at least be considered as a possibility, minuscule as it may be

same with Klonoa, and a non-Lloyd Tales character as imo we’re so seeing his costume return

tfw nobody, and I mean NOBODY, considers God Eater though :c
If we're not getting Lloyd, we're not getting a Tales of character imo.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

I don’t think Nightmare will happen if we didn’t get Heihachi. Sakurai seems stuck on how to make 3D fighting game characters work in Smash.

He did say 'Minecraft content' though and look who we got at the start of the month. Which is why Ryu Hayabusa is worth keeping an eye on.

And before anyone points out the whole 'EnderDragon is a boss'. Its possible he mistook it for Rathatos whose code I recall is called EndDragon, either that or he confused it for EnderDragon's spirit.
Oh, I wasn’t saying he was wrong. I’m just saying he probably only knew about that stuff because he got the info before Nintendo really started cracking down on things.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If we're not getting Lloyd, we're not getting a Tales of character imo.
Especially given

"Who else but Lloyd?" - Sakurai
I don’t think Nightmare will happen if we didn’t get Heihachi. Sakurai seems stuck on how to make 3D fighting game characters work in Smash.
I thought it was only Tekken's gameplay mechanics that were complicated? I recall Soulcalibur's isn't anything like Tekken's.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I’m not familiar with Falcom is there anything to suggest this could be possible besides that YS western port, which could just be a lucky guess. I’m not familiar with them but a Falcom rep would be cool, I like discovering new series through Smash alongside getting stuff I already love.
As far as I know the only thing the leak predicts is the announcement of Ys IX coming to the West. This was posted in June 20th and the western version of the game was announced 3 days later at the New Game Plus Expo

I don't know if there was a rumour of said announcement before that guy made that post, it could be a lucky guess though because as far as I know there wasn't any problem for Ys IX to come to the West, it just took a while to be formally announced.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I thought it was only Tekken's gameplay mechanics that were complicated? I recall Soulcalibur's isn't anything like Tekken's.
It's my assumption that it's the limb system in Tekken that is the driving force behind Sakurai's previous statements. Soul Calibur has a complicated control scheme but it is closer to traditional fighters than Tekken. All 3D fighter have the issue of not being able to incorporate a sidestep into Smash (unless you do something unique with spot dodging), but I doubt that particular nuance would be the deal breaker for a 3D fighter rep.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It's my assumption that it's the limb system in Tekken that is the driving force behind Sakurai's previous statements. Soul Calibur has a complicated control scheme but it is closer to traditional fighters than Tekken. All 3D fighter have the issue of not being able to incorporate a sidestep into Smash (unless you do something unique with spot dodging), but I doubt that particular nuance would be the deal breaker for a 3D fighter rep.
So Nightmare possibility out of the running then?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
At least Virtua Fighter just has two attack buttons and a block button, just like Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Imagine if we got Faust. The afro shenanigans alone would be worth it.

Just.

Imagine someone like R.O.B. or Ridley with an afro for a moment. Glorious.

Also, imagine the amount of jokes that could be made with his instant kill (potential Final Smash). He could turn Banjo & Kazooie into their blocky Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts n' Bolts look, make Ness look like Ninten by slightly altering his hair and flipping his hat around, he could even turn Mr. Game & Watch 3D.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

When is this leak from, exactly? I wanna know if both rumors have a similar timeframe.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
When is this leak from, exactly? I wanna know if both rumors have a similar timeframe.
According to the link, the Falcom rumor is from June 20, 2020. The LoL leak was in January, I think shortly before Byleth.

if the “working on 2-3 characters at once” rumor is to be believed, by June they’d probably be starting work on FP9, wrapping up on Steve (for Falcom). For LoL it was before Min Min’s reveal so if true the LoL rep would likely be FP8.

Tl;dr - LoL is likely to be FP8 and/or Falcom FP9; assuming either rumor is true

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I'd honestly not be surprised if that's the case, considering just how massive the giga-leak was. Whoever leaked that gained access to direct source code and stuff related to Nintendo's inner workings. Sure, the games are 20+ years old...

...But to Nintendo, that implies that their security measures are not solid enough to stop future leaks at all. For an organization that has most of its workers be contractors not attached to labor unions and who emphasises working in secrecy that's disasterous since the giga-leak risks feeding mistrust within the company. I'm mentioning the contractors part since there's a chance that leaker behind the gigaleak was an (ex-)Nintendo employee.

According to the link, the Falcom rumor is from June 20, 2020. The LoL leak was in January, I think shortly before Byleth.

if the “working on 2-3 characters at once” rumor is to be believed, by June they’d probably be starting work on FP9, wrapping up on Steve (for Falcom). For LoL it was before Min Min’s reveal so if true the LoL rep would likely be FP8.
Wasn't the LoL leak in April? People talked about it around that time, and Vergeben said he'd look into it.

No word on that since.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

I see. To be fair, I don't think the order matters that much (Vergeben told us about Ken before Isabelle, if I'm not mistaken), but the time passed since then could be.

It's also worth noting that the supposed Mii Costumes and characters may or may not come together, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom