• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
And there wouldn't have been with these characters still on the table?

Or at you implying one of these (except Travis because duh) could suddenly just show up?
I'm implying that because of these characters being deconfirmed that we are more likely to see more unexpected characters. I see all such interviews where companies talk about their characters getting in Smash as hard deconfirmations if there is a concrete answer.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm implying that because of these characters being deconfirmed that we are more likely to see more unexpected characters. I see all such interviews where companies talk about their characters getting in Smash as hard deconfirmations if there is a concrete answer.
We would've seen those unexpected characters either way because the interviews were done far after the Pass 2's roster was decided.

If anything, I'd argue the unexpected would've been even more surprising if we stuck to the people we talked about for months... which we actually do because Geno exists, but whatever lol

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
When was the last time a character was revealed at a special event or for a special occasion outside of E3 (which didn't even happen this year), anyway?

I see no reason to expect characters out of anything short of Directs or solo trailer drops at this point.
Joker at Game Awards 2018, iirc.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
When was the last time a character was revealed at a special event or for a special occasion outside of E3 (which didn't even happen this year), anyway?

I see no reason to expect characters out of anything short of Directs or solo trailer drops at this point.
While Steve wasn't revealed there, his presentation took place at Minecon. Also, a free trial of ARMS was announced at the same time as the initial ARMS guessing game.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I believe it was just Joker.

Be careful though. Just because chances are low doesn't mean they're 0. Pretty sure Joker's reveal itself proved that.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I'll rather have a SEGA Roster with Toe Jam & Earl, Sketch and Vectorman than having like 5 damn Phantasy Star characters, or a Ristar character that is not ****ing Ristar.
Considering you dont even seem to be aware that Rika is Nei's legitimate succesor says alot about that "5 damn Phantasy Star characters".
Also no PSO characters is a joke.

I agree. **** like this is why i have a (admittedly undeserved) distaste for the "weeb" side of Sega Fans, disrespecting anything that leans towards or was created by Western Audiences as "inferior". It's pretentious.
Your roster shows how much you lack understanding on certain franchises. Play more SEGA games nerd.

lol

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
That interview with Arle wasn’t even truly a deconfirmation. It just said that the creator was okay with Arle in Smash. A statement like that neither helps nor defeats a character’s case.
The question and the answer are too neutral for us to figure out whether or not it's a deconfirmation.

People just like to assume a dev talking about their character is a deconfirmation because they exaggerate how NDAs work to gatekeep.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So expect the unexpected? Alright, um... is this the part where I mention Disgaea again? Like, I've never even played the games, but for some reason it's sticking out to me as a legit possibility, albeit a small one.
Considering you dont even seem to be aware that Rika is Nei's legitimate succesor says alot about that "5 damn Phantasy Star characters".
Also no PSO characters is a joke.

Your roster shows how much you lack understanding on certain franchises. Play more SEGA games nerd.

lol
I... don't think you're helping your case...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My only issue with that Sega roster is a lack of Shining Force. Though there's a lot more of note anyway beyond that. It gets no love, mang.

As for Steve, I don't think he was actually initially planned around Minecon at all. It just happens he was finished enough in time to show off near it instead. He took a massively long time to make, much like Min Min. His ideal release and reveal team was likely earlier(not e3 early, like August or September at best early) too. Mind you, with how long Min Min took to make, I doubt she was meant to be ready before May as is.

As for the next character, I wouldn't be surprised if they're far-less development heavy. I'd expect December the possible earliest even then. January likely the latest. I doubt it'll be in February(nor do I think it'll be outright planned for an anniversary. I could see it coincide with one due to development time, which feels like the case for Steve, but that's it).

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
You do realize he could just use that same "argument" against you, right?
No

I know more than him

The Pinocchio nosed aussie from SEGA Lets Go Island or the marilyn manson dude from 2SPICY is better than Vectorman or some Eternal Champion Loser.
They have more realistic chances too.

Sorry

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Really, how a character is revealed and released is pretty inconsistent. iirc:
  • Joker was revealed at The Game Awards, and then shadowdropped on release.
  • Hero and Banjo & Kazooie were revealed during E3, and had a Sakurai Presents at a later date.
  • Terry was revealed during Banjo & Kazooie's Sakurai Presents, and didn't even have his full trailer until his own Sakurai Presents
  • Byleth wasn't revealed until his Sakurai Presents.
  • Min Min had a guessing game for months before her reveal within a Sakurai Presents.
  • Steve had a reveal out of the blue in a technically-not-a-Sakurai-Presents before actually getting a Sakurai Presents right before Minecon.

All that's certain is that there would be a reveal, and an explanation. These could be separate, or at the same time, they could happen whether the character is ready to show in-game or not, and they could happen at basically any time for any reason. There's very little you can actually rule out in that regard. Which of course, also means there's not much you can reasonably expect either. Hence the perpetual "it's this week, I can feel it" this thread experienced earlier.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Really, how a character is revealed and released is pretty inconsistent. iirc:
  • Joker was revealed at The Game Awards, and then shadowdropped on release.
  • Hero and Banjo & Kazooie were revealed during E3, and had a Sakurai Presents at a later date.
  • Terry was revealed during Banjo & Kazooie's Sakurai Presents, and didn't even have his full trailer until his own Sakurai Presents
  • Byleth wasn't revealed until his Sakurai Presents.
  • Min Min had a guessing game for months before her reveal within a Sakurai Presents.
  • Steve had a reveal out of the blue in a technically not a Sakurai Presents before actually getting a Sakurai Presents right before Minecon.

All that's certain is that there would be a reveal, and an explanation. These could be separately, or at the same time, they could happen whether the character is ready to show in-game or not, and they could happen at basically any time for any reason. There's very little you can actually rule out in that regard. Which of course, also means there's not much you can reasonably expect either. Hence the perpetual "it's this week, I can feel it" this thread experienced earlier.
Actually, Terry was revealed in the direct that played before Banjo and Kazooie's Sakurai Presents. We still saw his first bits of gameplay there, though.

This gives us three characters revealed in Nintendo Directs... Which seem to have died in a hole as of recent.

Oof

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
No

I know more than him

The Pinocchio nosed aussie from SEGA Lets Go Island or the marilyn manson dude from 2SPICY is better than Vectorman or some Eternal Champion Loser.
They have more realistic chances too.

Sorry
Now you're just being a jerk.

"I know more than him" really doesn't apply when you actively ignore everything that isn't made in Japan.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Sakurai Presents seems to be the current big deal.

Steve somewhat broke that pattern though so I'm basically expecting things every few/several months at this point, and not from any special events.

I turned in for hte VGA last year and aside from everything involving Norman Reedus, Muppet Labs and Green Day, watching it all really wasn't worth it to me. Lack of a Smash reveal was expected, decided to tune in anyway, still left with only minimal satisfaction.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I turned in for hte VGA last year and aside from everything involving Norman Reedus, Muppet Labs and Green Day, watching it all really wasn't worth it to me. Lack of a Smash reveal was expected, decided to tune in anyway, still left with only minimal satisfaction.
But Nintendo Switch has lots of games :p

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Sakurai Presents seems to be the current big deal.

Steve somewhat broke that pattern though so I'm basically expecting things every few/several months at this point, and not from any special events.
I kind of wonder if Steve was revealed in the way he was because they wanted to show him off before Minecon but also knew he would break the interned, and Minecon kinda needed that to function. lol

Yeeeeah I'll be skipping this year. I don't care if someone's revealed then, I'd rather have the reveal ruined for me than sit through that again.

Green Day didn't even play one of their good songs.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Now you're just being a jerk.

"I know more than him" really doesn't apply when you actively ignore everything that isn't made in Japan.
Ecco the Dolphin is western and its a fantastic and unique experience, the creator also made 3 Dirty Dwarves on the saturn which is also great and has good cartoony visuals i like.

Ecco is also one of the few western SEGA games that got a AGES remaster too.

Shows were priorities really lies

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Ecco the Dolphin is western and its a fantastic and unique experience, the creator also made 3 Dirty Dwarves on the saturn which is also great and has good cartoony visuals i like.

Ecco is also one of the few western SEGA games that got a AGES remaster too.

Shows were priorities really lies
The Angry Video Game Nerd would beg to differ...

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I didn't pik, min. :p
You should fix that lol

And the reason is...

So Charlie can be his alternate costume, who also doesn't have Rock Pikmin.
Meanwhile, where the hell is Character D?

Charlie stayed, Brittney and Alph just got redesigns, the tall-looking purple dude had less luck than Waluigi and got cut entirely.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
My only issue with that Sega roster is a lack of Shining Force. Though there's a lot more of note anyway beyond that. It gets no love, mang.
Thats understandable. Shining force characters in terms of variety for fighting game moveset are fairly generic.

You could go with a Centaur like May or a robot like Adam since they would likley give you more variety at the most but they arent really characters people focus on though unlike Max.

For me Id go with Misheala or any of the blue skinned female villians in every SF game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom