• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, where the hell is Character D?

Charlie stayed, Brittney and Alph just got redesigns, the tall-looking purple dude had less luck than Waluigi and got cut entirely.
Perhaps he'll appear in Pikmin 4 in order to give you 4 captains. lol

Calane

Smash Ace
His name wasn't Wonder Boy? Huh. The more you know.

I like this idea, but I think that since Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap is a remake of Wonder Boy III, and the transformation mechanics seem to be exclusive to that game, I'm not sure it would be fitting.

I would instead give it to Jin from Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, and give Book some of the more general mechanics found throughout his series.

EDIT: And of course, I support them both thoroughly.
Monster Boy is a part of the Wonder Boy series, so the transformation mechanic showed up twice.

People seem to confuse Monster Boy as a spiritual successor, but it's actually a full-blown sequel.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
People need to stop mixing up spin offs with true sequels. The outrage over games like Hey Pikmin and Federation Force reminds me of people getting mad about echo fighters. Those characters did not steal a slot and those games do not prevent the making of a new true game. They're quick little handheld titles to tide us over.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Also btw since no one ever brings up a 7th Dragon character in SEGA roster discussions these games were produced by Reiko Kodama (Phantasy Star, Altered Beast, Skies of Arcadia Director)

She filled these games with **** ton of classic SEGA references
7thdragon_segaref.png

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Monster Boy is a part of the Wonder Boy series, so the transformation mechanic showed up twice.

People seem to confuse Monster Boy as a spiritual successor, but it's actually a full-blown sequel.
I did see this on Wikipedia, but I thought it was misinformation because 1, it's Wikipedia, and 2, it looks like spiritual successor in every way except in name apparently. The next game in the series going under the Wonder Boy also helps this, and means that Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom is a spin-off and probably shouldn't get a character. At least, not first.

Calane

Smash Ace
I did see this on Wikipedia, but I thought it was misinformation because 1, it's Wikipedia, and 2, it looks like spiritual successor in every way except in name apparently. The next game in the series going under the Wonder Boy also helps this, and means that Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom is a spin-off and probably shouldn't get a character. At least, not first.
But...it's not a spin-off. It's an actual sequel to the main series. The original creator was involved and everything.

71UOnoeiwkL._SL1500_.jpg This is the back of the box.

Also, the Wonder Boy series is sort of known for it's confusing/inconsistent naming conventions, lol.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I know everyone has already said what they need to say about the MWIV remake but like yeah

damn it looks bad.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'm fine with how the MW IV remake looks. It isn't perfect, but it works a lot better than the Link's Awakening remake in my opinion.

Then again... MW IV is my favorite of the series so maybe that's just bias talking.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The Wonder Boy series is sort of known for it's confusing/inconsistent naming conventions anyway, lol.
Confusing is right.
  • Make game.
  • Make sequel.
  • Make another sequel.
  • Make a part 2 to that sequel.
  • Make another sequel, but only release it in Japan.
Sounds reasonable.
  • Make a remake of the first game.
Ok.
  • Make a remake of the 3rd game's part 2.
Wait what?
  • Make a sequel to the Japanese exclusive game.
Wat?
  • Make a remake of the Japanese exclusive game.
Wat?

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Apprantley its being made by 3 different developers?

Sounds messy.
Is that so? Didn't know that.

Confusing is right.
  • Make game.
  • Make sequel.
  • Make another sequel.
  • Make a part 2 to that sequel.
  • Make another sequel, but only release it in Japan.
Sounds reasonable.
  • Make a remake of the first game.
Ok.
  • Make a remake of the 3rd game's part 2.
Wait what?
  • Make a sequel to the Japanese exclusive game.
Wat?
  • Make a remake of the Japanese exclusive game.
Wat?
Yeah, it's completely wild.

Adding to the confusion, there's two Wonder Boy III's, but they're both completely different games, lol.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
People need to stop mixing up spin offs with true sequels. The outrage over games like Hey Pikmin and Federation Force reminds me of people getting mad about echo fighters. Those characters did not steal a slot and those games do not prevent the making of a new true game. They're quick little handheld titles to tide us over.
Kinda reminds me of when everyone was expecting Animal Crossing for the Wii U, and then Amiibo Festival was announced instead.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
You should fix that lol
Am lazy. :p

Kinda reminds me of when everyone was expecting Animal Crossing for the Wii U, and then Amiibo Festival was announced instead.
Why'd you have to remind me this cursed game?

Desert Island Escape is pretty cool tho... but it's also in New Leaf so that doesn't matter lmao

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't think those two are quite comparable as this leaves out the major reason people were angry at Federation Force. That reason was that Federation Force was the first Metroid game in 7 years, that last one being Other M. I agree that spinoffs are harmless, but the first game in 7 years shouldn't be a spinoff with no signs of a mainline entry until almost an entire year after said spinoff is released. If we suddenly got an F Zero game but it was identical in ganeplay to Tomodachi Life, are F Zero fans immature for not wanting it as it doesn't have anything they like about F Zero? 1 echo fighter being confirmed very shortly between fully fledged newcomers simply cannot compare to 7 years of radio silence and seemingly lacking any idea what people want out of a franchise

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Last night I had a dream about Smash. Again. This time it announced Agumon & WarGreymon as a new fighter in Smash Bros. The weirdest thing about this dream is that they had a dotty look to them, kinda in a Steve-ish way, but not quite. Basically imagine these two sprites as full 3D models

agudot.jpg
wargreydot.png

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Did they also leave big pixely turds on the stage?

Honestly, a Digimon with a raising mechanic would be pretty insane.

Edit: In other news, Demi-fiend just got a figma announced AND a 1:1 scale statue. Yeah, I'm thinking he's in. As in literally in your house staring you down.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I wonder if they'd let them poop if they made it into Smash? Is Wario's farting as far as they'd ever go?
That might be an issue in 3-8 player FFAs (possibly with food / snack near the TV) where some of those players might not take kindly to poop being present on screen. And a lot of them will probably not know the context of Digimon being a raising sim, leading possibly to some headaches for Nintendo's customer service department if they have to answer questions from confused / bewildered people about why a dinosaur poops in a party fighting game.

Thusly I could see Sakurai or Furukawa and co. think it might be out of place in a party fighting game.

Scott the Woz screams in the background.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Would it be possible to actually get 8 fighting game characters in the game from 8 different series?

• Ryu
  • Terry
  • Min Min
  • Punch OUT

How could we get four more?

Hmmm...(not counting things like Injustice, DBZ fighters, Capcom VS...Jump Force, Brawlhala, or other cross media events.

So I think the big options are:
- Tekken,
-Mortal Kombat,
-Dead or Alive,
-Soul Callbur
-Graz Blu,
-Guilty Gear,
-Mugen,
-Joy Mech Fight....

Ultimately, I'd be quite happy with
-Scorpion
-Heihachi
-Nightmare
-Ryu Hayabusa
But to keep it to four new companies, I'm willing to say Sol Badguy may creep in and replace Nightmare.

Three companies, four icons, and finally a full roster of fighters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Would it be possible to actually get 8 fighting game characters in the game from 8 different series?

• Ryu
  • Terry
  • Min Min
  • Punch OUT

How could we get four more?

Hmmm...(not counting things like Injustice, DBZ fighters, Capcom VS...Jump Force, Brawlhala, or other cross media events.

So I think the big options are:
- Tekken,
-Mortal Kombat,
-Dead or Alive,
-Soul Callbur
-Graz Blu,
-Guilty Gear,
-Mugen,
-Joy Mech Fight....

Ultimately, I'd be quite happy with
-Scorpion
-Heihachi
-Nightmare
-Ryu Hayabusa
But to keep it to four new companies, I'm willing to say Sol Badguy may creep in and replace Nightmare.

Three companies, four icons, and finally a full roster of fighters.
I don't understand how you can unironically ask the question of a MUGEN character and I'm even more confused you're saying Joy Mech Fight's a big option

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Basically whatever issues we may have with Nintendo's current decisions they are at least light years away from the Wii U era where (as Federation Force, Amiibo Festival, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash and Chibi Robo Zip Lash demonstrated) they seemed wildly out of sync with their own customers.

Especially when one re-watches the 2015 Nintendo E3 Presentation, its telling that Fire Emblem Fates (even with its issues) was the only title in it that went on to have strong critical or commercial success, and the various others either being quickly forgotten or seen as lowpoints for the series

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't understand how you can unironically ask the question of a MUGEN character and I'm even more confused you're saying Joy Mech Fight's a big option
I just want 8 unique fighting games' characters as playable in Smash, dammnit!

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Now for my list of new Nintendo owned franchises that I think deserve a playable character:

• Golden Sun (Isaac)- All these JRPG characters and yet none from the one I have a connection to? Argh.
  • Panel de Pon (Lip) I really want a fairy. The roster is missing without a Magical Girl Trope.
  • Rhythm Heaven'- Beloved games. Would increase awareness. Why wasnt 1/2 switch a Rhythm Heaven or Wario Game?
  • Captain Toad- Brilliant new gameplay mechanics.
  • Paper Mario- The game was well received, and I'd like one Mario that stands out. Easy sell, too. It's Mario.
  • Chibi Robo- Cute character, with a lot of gimmicks.
  • Brain Age/ Big Brain Academy- This game sold...so damn well. I'd love for it to get proper representation.
  • Pushmo- Nice 3ds character
  • Ring Fit Adventure- Sleeper hit. It just keeps selling more and more during pandemic. Id ad least like a Smash mode in the original game.
  • Custom Robo- Tiny Robot in Smash? Lots of possibilities.
  • 'Wars- Maybe we can just make the next FE character a WARS character. Cmon, Intelligent Systems!
  • Balloon Fighter- Unique air mechanics, and an true tribute to Sakurai's Mentor, Iwata, who invented Balloon Fighter
  • Excite Bike/ Mach Rider I'd love a character who is always on his bike, I think that in itself would be quite charming

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
At this point I think the only fighting game characters that has a shot is Guilty Gear (Sol Badguy) and Soulcalibur (Nightmare).

Would definitely settle for and love Nightmare who I feel is overlooked especially now that his chances increased due to Heihachi's deconfirmation. I suppose Dead or Alive also counts since its part of the same universe as Ninja Gaiden.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know its a month too early to hear anything, but have there been any rumors or anything? I'm bored.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I know its a month too early to hear anything, but have there been any rumors or anything? I'm bored.
Even beyond Nintendo supposedly making a sustained effort to clamp down leaks, I don't think even speculation will begin to get interesting till closer to January. The company doesn't really have much to actually release for the rest of the year and outside the typically wild guessing the game awards always gets, its likely going to be pretty quiet and slow for a while.

SKX31

Smash Master
Basically whatever issues we may have with Nintendo's current decisions they are at least light years away from the Wii U era where (as Federation Force, Amiibo Festival, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash and Chibi Robo Zip Lash demonstrated) they seemed wildly out of sync with their own customers.

Especially when one re-watches the 2015 Nintendo E3 Presentation, its telling that Fire Emblem Fates (even with its issues) was the only title in it that went on to have strong critical or commercial success, and the various others either being quickly forgotten or seen as lowpoints for the series
That said, one can also view that E3 as Nintendo absolutely scrambling to put something out. Not just with the Wii U faltering at the time, but also since it and the 3DS still had some franchises / genres that weren't really covered (and the possibilty that they needed something to tie people over until the Switch was released). Leading to, well... that. Still I do agree that Nintendo was wildly out of sync with their own customers.

Oh, and wasn't Star Fox Zero also on that E3? Good times.

The tragedy of being able to digest even metal, but being unable to get it out of your body. :laugh:
Well:

Edit: Additional clip from the same video:

Source:

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Rumors always.
Blocked Content makes a video every day about a new 'leak.' Whether or not they hold much credence is another story

Crash is big right now.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
i heard it in the Geno thread, I'm sure NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy can give more info
Yeah, after the code leaks and a few other major things over this past year Nintendo has been hammering down on leaks. Anyone who is a leaker has the risk of being blacklisted, being fired, and bei fines/sued. The gigs-leaks were the start but now Nintendo wants to shut down anyone who may have info. I’m actually surprised Vergeben is still around but that guy is safe enough that he only really stays on GameFAQs which is pretty anonymous.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
That said, one can also view that E3 as Nintendo absolutely scrambling to put something out. Not just with the Wii U faltering at the time, but also since it and the 3DS still had some franchises / genres that weren't really covered (and the possibilty that they needed something to tie people over until the Switch was released). Leading to, well... that. Still I do agree that Nintendo was wildly out of sync with their own customers.

Oh, and wasn't Star Fox Zero also on that E3? Good times.
Indeed, and while it still might be too early to say, it hasn't had any critical reassessment in the years since. There is a reason that most tend to see Xenoblade Chronicles X as the last Wii U game that really deserves a Switch port and not Zero after all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom