• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So you know that POTD? Found what it may actually be referencing.
View attachment 289822
CRASH CONFIRMED BABY:4pacman:
I hope it becomes a joke where we find any vague reason to connect a POTD to Crash.

THE PIC FEATURES SONIC, CRASH WAS ORIGINALLY CALLED SONIC'S ASS GAME, CRASH CONFIRMED!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I feel like Voice Theory is the latest of these “theories” that gets twisted into these crazy ideas that suddenly make characters likely.

Take a theory and then apply it to what we’ve seen. While not something that is unchangeable, we’ve gotten main characters/protagonists from previously unrepresented games/series for every newcomer DLC pack since Ryu. Except for Piranha Plant, this has been consistent for each set.

Do I think that kills off Bandanna Dee? Not entirely...but I don’t think that makes a great case for him either.

There’s clearly a vision for the Challenger Packs considering Smash Ultimate DLC has remained consistent in some regards that supports main characters from previously unrepresented (fighter, stage, music) games or series that fit the fighter pass model.

It doesn’t mean it can’t change, it very well could. But will it? The longer we go without a change, the less likely I think it is. I especially find the concept of more than one upgrade essentially off the table at the moment given the few spots we have, the possibility of some characters potentially being chosen earlier than we thought, and other reasons.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
If this POTD is also a Crash Reference, than it looks more likely that Sakurai is Right now Playing Crash 4 or something like that

In any Case, I Might sound Crazy saying this, but this might actually Deconfirm Crash, especially if paired with the Harada Tweet

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
If this POTD is also a Crash Reference, than it looks more likely that Sakurai is Right now Playing Crash 4 or something like that

In any Case, I Might sound Crazy saying this, but this might actually Deconfirm Crash, especially if paired with the Harada Tweet
First off, the Harada tweet means nothing, the guy is a known troll.
Second off, how does this do anything towards Crash's chances? Especially a deconfirmation? I mean, my comment was a joke.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

This has to be the worst case of jumping to conclusions I've seen yet.

7NATOR

Smash Master
First off, the Harada tweet means nothing, the guy is a known troll.
Second off, how does this do anything towards Crash's chances? Especially a deconfirmation? I mean, my comment was a joke.
Wait it was Joke?

In any case, The Logic is that Sakurai wouldn't be Posting References that Deliberately reference Characters or the Game the Character was from if they were playable. Of Course there's leeway with that because the Stage Builder Video had a Dragon Stage and Witch Stage, probably references to Hero and Banjo, but beyond that Sakurai really only makes references to stuff the day before

IF that's the Case, it's possible that Arle and Ryu would also be Deconfirmed as Playable.

However like the Dragon Stage and Witch stage show, It might have leeway, but still...

As for the Harada Tweet, he may be Troll, but the Logic with that one is that Harada might have known who would have a Role in FP2, especially since he didn't even Mention other Characters that were involved in the Tweet.

Jonsey, Doomguy, Master Chief, Gordon Freeman, Crash, and Arle were mentioned. Doomguy is Soft Deconfirmed, Chief is probably soft Deconfirmed as well. Jonsey and Gordon Freeman is technically not Soft Deconfirmed but there really isn't much pointing towards them even contacting nintendo. The Puyo Puyo Twitter is not making Arle's Chances for Smash look Good, and Crash is an Enigma

I'm Just Spitballing. I Don't actually think this Deconfirms Crash, or Arle or Ryu

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else think voice theory could be an echo pass if it holds? I may just really want an echo pass, but I could see Nintendo looking for that extra bit of money with less work by throwing in 5 new echos as a pass once fp2 ends, assuming no fp2 characters get an echo on release. It probably won't happen but maybe it could?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Anyone else think voice theory could be an echo pass if it holds? I may just really want an echo pass, but I could see Nintendo looking for that extra bit of money with less work by throwing in 5 new echos as a pass once fp2 ends, assuming no fp2 characters get an echo on release. It probably won't happen but maybe it could?
No, how does voice theory point to that? If anything it might point to one echo, not an entire pass of them.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
No, how does voice theory point to that? If anything it might point to one echo, not an entire pass of them.
However, according to the Voice Theory, if one character comes with an echo, then there will be no more characters with different voices for alts unless we get another voiceless character.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don’t think we’re getting echoes in DLC anymore unless like, we get a pass 3 (with 4 characters as per the WoL slots) and they’re all echoes. I can see semi clones at maximum and even then they’d be more unique than Lucas or Isabelle

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So yeah, Shantae was never meant to be a Smash fighter and Wayforward wasn't even informed she herself was going to made a appearance in Smash. This small details could shines some light on how Nintendo choose a character as whether as a playable fighter or a spirit. Though maybe Nintendo changed their mind during these two years and may consider to upgrade some spirit(s) to be a playable fighter like they did with Min Min.
So they literally went "hey, use this" and Nintendo went "uuuh OK sure". lol

Faso115

Smash Lord
Doomslayer barely talks, does Voice theory hurt his chances? Think about.

And i'm aware of eternal spoilers but i doubt he is going to monologue in smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
About the new Kirby game. I know I said a big new game would make him a possible candidate, but y'know, I still don't see it. Perhaps it's because I don't know it's scope quite yet, but I just don't feel like it makes much of a difference. It's Kirby, it does alright, but not great. I feel like this game has to be the series's The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, or Super Mario Odyssey to give Nintendo the incentive to push it over simply adding a flashy new 3rd party.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Doomslayer barely talks, does Voice theory hurt his chances? Think about.

And i'm aware of eternal spoilers but i doubt he is going to monologue in smash.
At the very least I’m sure Samuel Hayden or VEGA will pop up in the voice lines. I don’t see a Slayer monologue either but Samuel Hayden and his golden voice is a must.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure but I hope we do get echoes. If we get a character next with undeniably perfect potential for an echo, that could be the best way to introduce echos as dlc. That way of thinking goes both ways, if no echo is introduced during or after a character like Crash or Sora, I wouldn't be too confident about seeing them down the line.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The reason Voice Theory cannot work is that there are so many potential variables. Does this mean there's only a single character left with an alt? Does this mean there are multiple characters left with alts and that the rest are mute? Does this mean 1 character has multiple alts? It's a waste of time to try and conclude anything in that regard imo

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The reason Voice Theory cannot work is that there are so many potential variables. Does this mean there's only a single character left with an alt? Does this mean there are multiple characters left with alts and that the rest are mute? Does this mean 1 character has multiple alts? It's a waste of time to try and conclude anything in that regard imo
Yeah, you could even make the case that they have an extra one there just 'cuz since while there's no reason to have the extra slot, there's also no reason to not have it either.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
It's been 5 months since Xenoblade Definitive Edition and Nintendo of America is still actively promoting it. I feel like we're certainly getting a Xenoblade character this pass if they're willing to promote this game for this long. How long did they promote Three Houses for?

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Oh yeah since we know there's a 3D Kirby Game Coming thanks to Fighters 2's Datamine, there's a good chance that game's Main Villain could get into Smash. In that case, there's a character with no voice right there. So I think one of the next four will likely have a ridiculous amount of Voice Work done for them.
wait so now we're predicting characters that don't even exist yet from games we don't even know exist yet?

this is exactly one of the reasons why i've grown sickly tired of the "MUST PROMOTE SOMETHING" mentality

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's been 5 months since Xenoblade Definitive Edition and Nintendo of America is still actively promoting it. I feel like we're certainly getting a Xenoblade character this pass if they're willing to promote this game for this long. How long did they promote Three Houses for?
Except we already have XC1's protagonist, Shulk.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Does 5 months really say much when Nintendo still posts about Animal Crossing, Mario Tennis, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart Tour, Ring Fit Adventure etc.?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
wait so now we're predicting characters that don't even exist yet from games we don't even know exist yet?

this is exactly one of the reasons why i've grown sickly tired of the "MUST PROMOTE SOMETHING" mentality
Is another reason seeing characters suddenly get lively support threads on the day of their announcements not because of genuine fondness but rather a desire to be right?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Nintendo is still trying to push more sales for their games released this year? Shocking.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's not to say that they wouldn't want to add someone else from that game either, there are 6 other protagonists to choose from and most of them either have great importance or are a Nopon, which are kind of the series's mascot at this point.

That's not to say that they wouldn't add Rex either for a character from a game that doesn't already have a character and a stage yet. Either way, I think the Xenoblade Chronicles series is primed for a character.

EDIT: I just realized the repeat of "that's not to say", but I dunno how to fix it quickly so I'm just gonna leave it.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Echoes, in my humble opinion, aren’t likely to be apart of the pass as we know it. There’s nothing indicating it, the fine print says, “1 character , 1 stage, and music selection”.

Nothing wrong with discussing them, but the overall concept seems to be at a disadvantage in terms of it actually happening.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Only Echoes who I view as likely for DLC at all are directly linked, and would Echo, a Character who is already likely. Coco as an Example I won't shut up about.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Echoes, in my humble opinion, aren’t likely to be apart of the pass as we know it. There’s nothing indicating it, the fine print says, “1 character , 1 stage, and music selection”.

Nothing wrong with discussing them, but the overall concept seems to be at a disadvantage in terms of it actually happening.
I think Echo DLC's only real shot is the potential that the remaining four slots left in the code after FP2 are used for a final, free Echo pack update as a way to close Ultimate off. Not super likely IMHO, but I'm personally kind of hoping for it given it's Octoling's best potential chance at not having to wait until next game.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Only about half a year. If we do get a Xenoblade characters in this pass, I think it'll be more than that (I could be wrong, though, in multiple ways).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I used to think that Xenoblade DE would add Rex/Pyra and Elma cameos when it announced Challenge Mode, just like in XC2 once you buy the Expansion Pass. But they haven’t made any updates since and I imagine that “datamine” with I think Black Tar as a bgm was bogus

this COULD be leading up to an eventual X DE announcement in another may-or-may-not-be Direct (I.e. mini or full on Twitter shadow drop) but no way to tell for sure as much as I want it to happen

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Only about half a year. If we do get a Xenoblade characters in this pass, I think it'll be more than that (I could be wrong, though, in multiple ways).
I think the more important thing is that XC2 is still getting promoted alongside XC:DE in magazines and MonoSoft's Twitter account, about three years after it's release.

SKX31

Smash Master
Shulk's really feeling it today.

Hey, anyone who participates in Smash in their swim-wear is really confident. Especially if (s)he can tank a bunch of explosions to the face and come out of it saying "This is a good result!"

Kudos to :ultzss: too for doing so.

I think the more important thing is that XC2 is still getting promoted alongside XC:DE in magazines and MonoSoft's Twitter account, about three years after it's release.
Nintendo's really leaning into the idea of promoting a game long after its release huh.

I'm not surprised considering many, many other companies have also started to lean into / have already adapted to this.

(I'm not saying this neccessarily affects Smash, I'm saying it terms of a shift within company culture.)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Then we can add another character from XC1 if not any of the other games.
Mecha-Fiora is one possible option. She appears in Shulk’s Final Smash so you already got a model to work with, and her voice is suspiciously absent in the FS (though like someone mentioned that may just be due to time constraints)

Melia’s another, given her role in the epilogue, Future Connected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom