• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I thought Activision and Blizzard were one company that got fused together like Square and Enix to create Square-Enix.
I think it's like what happened with Sega and Sammy merging: both companies still exist, but as subsidiaries of the merged company (Sega and Sammy under Sega Sammy, Activision and Blizzard under Activision-Blizzard).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think it's like what happened with Sega and Sammy merging: both companies still exist, but as subsidiaries of the merged company (Sega and Sammy under Sega Sammy, Activision and Blizzard under Activision-Blizzard).
So it's more like a eternal partnership than a eternal marriage? if that makes any sense.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Alright, bold prediction time.
  • Min Min will be our last Nintendo character. This pass will now only include Third Party characters.
  • Fan requests will be ignored unless they correlate with Nintendo's interests.
  • The Monster Hunter mii costumes will return without a Monster Hunter Fighter.
  • Sora will get into this Fighters Pass as a Fighter.
Now I wait for Nintendo to punch all of my predictions out like this.
bananas.gif

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Nintendo Going for Tracer over Crash seems kinda weird, but it makes sense if they want to go For Different Demographics. After all There is already alot of Platformer Characters in the game already, No too many Shooter Characters though.

Though honestly with Jeff's (Blizzard CEO I Believe?) Comments about Overwatch, it seems Nintendo and Blizzard did not talk about a Character in Smash, which given the Free Trial on Switch, and all the Marketing it got in that direct, it does seem weird.

I'm sure There was at least a Conversation between Activision and Nintendo about Crash though, and If Especially if the Contents leaked from the Crash Document is real, Activision was activily wanting to try to put Crash in there. With that said it's not a Gurantee things went Smoothly for a Playable Spot for Crash, because there are more factors at play

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
  • Min Min will be our last Nintendo character. This pass will now only include Third Party characters.
Now I wait for Nintendo to punch all my predictions out like this.
View attachment 289337
I respect your opinion by authorising my opinion by judging you anyway if you didn't get the reference:

1. I think we are getting one more Nintendo rep most likely a Xenoblade rep.

2. I actually agree with.

3. I actually agree with.

4. Debatable as I think Geno has just as good of a chance or better than Sora.

SKX31

Smash Master
I thought Activision and Blizzard were one company that got fused together like Square and Enix to create Square-Enix.
That they are - Blizzard is mostly operationally independent. Quoting A-B's annual report (page 37):

Reportable Segments Based upon our organizational structure, we conduct our business through three reportable segments: Activision, Blizzard, and King.
(i) Activision Activision is a leading global developer and publisher of interactive software products and entertainment content, particularly for the console platform. Activision primarily delivers content through retail and digital channels, including fullgame and in-game sales, as well as by licensing software to third-party or related-party companies that distribute Activision products. Activision develops, markets, and sells products primarily based on our internally developed intellectual properties. Activision also includes the activities of the Call of Duty League, a global professional esports league with city-based teams for Call of Duty.
(ii) Blizzard Blizzard is a leading global developer and publisher of interactive software products and entertainment content, particularly for the PC platform. Blizzard primarily delivers content through retail and digital channels, including subscriptions, full-game, and in-game sales, as well as by licensing software to third-party or related-party companies that distribute Blizzard products. Blizzard also maintains a proprietary online gaming service, Blizzard Battle.net, which facilitates digital distribution of Blizzard content and selected Activision content, online social connectivity, and the creation of user-generated content. Blizzard also includes the activities of the Overwatch League, the first major global professional esports league with city-based teams.
(iii) King King is a leading global developer and publisher of interactive entertainment content and services, particularly for the mobile platform, including for Google’s Android and Apple’s iOS. King also distributes its content and services on the PC platform, primarily via Facebook. King’s games are free to play; however, players can acquire in-game items, either with virtual currency or real currency, and we continue to focus on in-game advertising as a growing source of additional revenue. Other We also engage in other businesses that do not represent reportable segments, including our Distribution business, which consists of operations in Europe that provide warehousing, logistics, and sales distribution services to third-party publishers of interactive entertainment software, our own publishing operations, and manufacturers of interactive entertainment hardware
But Activision has a lot of say in Blizzard operations. That's something that's become a major sore spot within the company in recent years:

Blizzard Entertainment has traditionally remained autonomous from its parent company, but in recent years, Activision’s corporate office has pushed the game-development studio to cut costs. Last year, the company eliminated hundreds of jobs and asked some of the remaining staff to take on the responsibilities of those who were let go. That extra work did not come with more pay, according to the people familiar with the company, who asked not to be identified discussing sensitive private information.
And I'll point again to the Annual report (and reiterate what I said in a previous post): Activision-Blizzard is infamous for long term plans. The "Strategy and Vision" segment on page 10 especially highlights that, as do their overview of their franchises on page 3 and the "Management Overview of Business Trends" on page 41.

One problem I could see is if Activision-Blizzard's upper brass insists on a character that fits their long term plans. Crash could possibly fit here, although it's really difficult to say since, well, Kotick and co. are insanely stubborn (Activision-Blizzard's response to the Blitzchung debacle aside, it's only after Infinite Warfare that they pivoted re: CoD for example). I could see that stubborness as hindering negotiations. Perhaps not too much, but hinder regardless.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I am wondering outside a bad timing case like Rex or a Gen 8 Pokemon what first party characters would get in? Basically would they be from franchises not featured in Smash or from ones that are in yet still with potential fighters to use, and in the case of both, what changed between now and 1-2 years ago?

I guess its a weird hypothetical for me that apparently such characters weren't a priority (or even mentioned in interviews as considerations) for the base game, but would be now. Don't get me wrong I'd love to have a Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, etc, it just feels like a significant shift in some ways to suddenly include them in greater roles this much later.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I am wondering outside a bad timing case like Rex or a Gen 8 Pokemon what first party characters would get in? Basically would they be from franchises not featured in Smash or from ones that are in yet still with potential fighters to use, and in the case of both, what changed between now and 1/2 years ago?

I guess its a weird hypothetical for me that apparently such characters weren't a priority (or even mentioned in interviews as considerations) for the base game, but would be now. Don't get me wrong I'd love to have a Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, etc, it just feels like a significant shift in some ways to suddenly include them in greater roles.
I bet you dollars to donuts the next Nintendo rep will be a Xenoblade rep like Rex or Elma since Fire Emblem and Arms already got characters in the DLC lineup.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Now I wait for Nintendo to punch all of my predictions out like this.
View attachment 289337
Good luck on your predictions.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I am wondering outside a bad timing case like Rex or a Gen 8 Pokemon what first party characters would get in? Basically would they be from franchises not featured in Smash or from ones that are in yet still with potential fighters to use, and in the case of both, what changed between now and 1-2 years ago?

I guess its a weird hypothetical for me that apparently such characters weren't a priority (or even mentioned in interviews as considerations) for the base game, but would be now. Don't get me wrong I'd love to have a Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, etc, it just feels like a significant shift in some ways to suddenly include them in greater roles this much later.
I was wondering this myself

Because the Base Roster Newcomer Count was very low (on the Unique Side) It would be hard to get a Spot in the Roster. Dixie Probably wasn't in a Favorable Position (as a Non-Echo) since K.Rool was more of a Priority, and I don't think we would get 2 Unique DK reps in Base game

Though that is something weird. If they weren't Priority for Base Roster, why would they be for DLC, where you absolutely need to sell based on the Character alone and not with a Whole Package like the Base Roster Newcomers.

Though another Reason is Perhaps some of the Characters would be more Complicated to Make, whether it be in Moveset, or Needing a New Stage. If you Compare the Base Roster Newcomers to the DLC Ones, the DLC Ones have More Going on at Average in terms of Movesets. All of the DLC Newcomers also come with Stages, Which only 2 of the Unique 6 Newcomers did. Characters like Isaac and Rhythm Heaven probably fell on the wayside due to being new Franchises and Stuff, and perhaps more going on in Moveset (Especially Rhythm Heaven)

Looking at Suggestions for Base Roster like Isaac, Rhythm Heaven, Dixie, Elma, etc, I honestly Imagine these Characters having more Going on in Moveset, than the Base Roster Newcomers. Even Dixie if they want to Implement the Lost Tag concept from Brawl (The fact Dixie's Upgradeable Spirit is Dixie and Kiddy might add to this Idea). I Don't know about Bandanna Dee though, that might be a Case of Sakurai not being interested

As for characters not being mentioned for Consideration, I'm sure that not every character mentioned for Consideration for Playable is all that were Considered. Rhythm Heaven wasn't mentioned at all in regards to Smash 4 by Sakurai. We only know they were planned due to Datamine. I'm sure there were more than 4 Characters Considered for Ultimate that Ultimately Got Dropped

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I respect your opinion by authorising my opinion by judging you anyway if you didn't get the reference:

1. I think we are getting one more Nintendo rep most likely a Xenoblade rep.

2. I actually agree with.

3. I actually agree with.

4. Debatable as I think Geno has just as good of a chance or better than Sora.
I don't think we're getting a Xenoblade rep. ARMS seems to be pretty important to Nintendo if Min Min was a special request. I don't think we'll see the same love for Xenoblade or Pokemon since they're not made in house. If a Xenoblade rep does get in, It will either be the new protagonist for the newest entry or Rex if there isn't one planned.

As for Geno, I don't think Nintendo is interested in Geno at all. The only thing that does hold me back from thinking he is completely out is if he is Fighter 11. Even then, that's only if it has any other significance to it other than showing there are six characters instead of five and if no one else takes his place.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't think we're getting a Xenoblade rep. ARMS seems to be pretty important to Nintendo if Min Min was a special request. I don't think we'll see the same love for Xenoblade or Pokemon since they're not made in house. If a Xenoblade rep does get in, It will either be the new protagonist for the newest entry or Rex if there isn't one planned.
Wasn't Min Min only a request in the context of the ARMS fighter? From what I can remember, Sakurai went to Yabuki for direction, and Yabuki specified Min Min as the one he wanted; Something he could get away with because "Everyone is the protagonist." Nintendo probably just told Sakurai to add an ARMS character; I don't think Yabuki specifically went to Nintendo themselves to put Min Min in Smash.
Unless we're going by the context of Nintendo's request, in which it's honestly not that different from any other Nintendo picks. Dunno what makes the request so "special" when there's others like it.
I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't request for something not developed in-house, either. It's still their IP, and if they think they can make money off of it, they'll go with them. Heck, their biggest cash cow-Pokemon-Isn't even developed in-house. I don't think Nintendo really cares about who makes it when they own it regardless.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't feel like there's a "western franchise quota" that Nintendo feels like they have to abide by. If they want something like Crash in the pass, they're not gonna go "oh, but we already included Minecraft as the western character this pass...".
It's not about going "Welp, we filled the western slot!", but convenience. Look at how it took five years to get Steve in, and he has less music than Hero and none of it was from vanilla Minecraft.

That, and if this pass's trend is programming nightmares, can you even think of a Crash moveset that'd need a similar workload to Min Min?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's not about going "Welp, we filled the western slot!", but convenience. Look at how it took five years to get Steve in, and he has less music than Hero and none of it was from vanilla Minecraft.
To be fair, C418 probably owns the songs. Nintendo doesn't really negotiate with anyone beyond the owner of the game, so Cloud and Steve's OST got the short end of the stick.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
A part of me is honestly expecting Jonesy if we get another western rep for some reason. I dunno why.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Same, though if we get another Western Character, Crash has some VERY tough competition with Jonesy. I wish that wasn't the case, but Fortnite is just that big.
A part of me is honestly expecting Jonesy if we get another western rep for some reason. I dunno why.
They aren't picking characters just because they're big though. Sakurai might think Jonesy would be too similar to Steve in that they would both focus on gathering resources and building.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
They aren't picking characters just because they're big though. Sakurai might think Jonesy would be too similar to Steve in that they would both focus on gathering resources and building.
Then there's also Diablo/Tracer. Another serious competition for Crash. Especially with the latter, they might want to get an FPS into the roster especially given Overwatch's popularity.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Yeah, but gathering materials and building are entirely different between Minecraft and Fortnite.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't get why people still think Tracer has a chance when Jeff Kaplan was requesting for Smash to add an Overwatch character back in the summer of this year.

inb4 "but Grant Kirkhope"

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't get why people still think Tracer has a chance when Jeff Kaplan was requesting for Smash to add an Overwatch character back in the summer of this year.

inb4 "but Grant Kirkhope"
Yeah. The only Activision character I can see getting in is Crash.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Since FPS was mentioned, Here's a list of Prominent Shooters (or Battle Royales) I can think of

Halo
Doom
Half-Life
TF2
Overwatch
Fortnite
Apex Legends
Call of Duty
Rainbow 6
CS;Go
Edit: Also Battlefield

There's Probably more, and I know Fortnite is in 3rd Person, but disregarding that, what are you're guys's Feelings on these

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Since FPS was mentioned, Here's a list of Prominent Shooters (or Battle Royales) I can think of

Halo
Doom
Half-Life
TF2
Overwatch
Fortnite
Apex Legends
Call of Duty
Rainbow 6
CS;Go

There's Probably more, and I know Fortnite is in 3rd Person, but disregarding that, what are you're guys's Feelings on these
Rainbow Six is ineligible, as it actually started as a book, which also featured the series' face, Ding Chavez.

SKX31

Smash Master
It has quite a few things going for it. Not just its absurdly strong presence within the general popular culture (the MCU / Star Wars Ep. 9 stuff) but also it becoming a major social platform of its own. For example the concerts - 12.3 million players participated in Travis Scott's.

While insanely big = / = it'll get into Smash (that's far from a guarantee), it might honestly be a tantalizing option if Nintendo's own priorities are to reach as many as possible. That's a major if, but still.

I still feel like Fortnite is still too new. Minecraft was over 10 years old by the time it got put into Smash and it's proven to have staying power. Who knows if Fortnite will still be as popular as it is today several years from now.
I'm not entirely sure on that when the Bayonetta series was ca. 5-6 years old when she was added.

Yeah. The only Activision character I can see getting in is Crash.
Mentions that the Japanese Hamburglar also brought up CoD, by that measure CoD's also talked about in Japanese fan circles.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It has quite a few things going for it. Not just its absurdly strong presence within the general popular culture (the MCU / Star Wars Ep. 9 stuff) but also it becoming a major social platform of its own. For example the concerts - 12.3 million players participated in Travis Scott's.

While insanely big = / = it'll get into Smash (that's far from a guarantee), it might honestly be a tantalizing option if Nintendo's own priorities are to reach as many as possible. That's a major if, but still.

I'm not entirely sure on that when the Bayonetta series was ca. 5-6 years old when she was added.

Mentions that the Japanese Hamburglar also brought up CoD.
Bayonetta being added was a courtesy as Nintendo helped with development of Bayonetta 2.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I still feel like Fortnite is still too new. Minecraft was over 10 years old by the time it got put into Smash and it's proven to have staying power. Who knows if Fortnite will still be as popular as it is today several years from now.
To be fair, Bayo's franchise was about six years old when they added her. She only had two games.

If Nintendo believes there's any way they could benefit by adding a Fortnite character, I could see them doing it.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Rainbow Six is ineligible, as it actually started as a book, which also featured the series' face, Ding Chavez.
Well that's interesting. Though Honestly I, and probably many people probably mostly know Rainbow Six from the games, like Siege, which is like the Situation with Geralt. With that being said, I guess they are technically out, and I wouldn't have expected Rainbow Six character anyway honestly

Dinoman96

Smash Master
To be fair, Bayo's franchise was about six years old when they added her. She only had two games.

If Nintendo believes there's any way they could benefit by adding a Fortnite character, I could see them doing it.
I think we need to make an unofficial rule that Bayonetta, as well as Banjo, are both very specific and special cases that really shouldn't be compared to the usual third party guests.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom