• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
Its worth noting that the time between Min Min and Steve is longer than of the times between characters of the first fighters pass, which were often much shorter. I think the big factor in regards to time will be how complicated each fighter will be here on out.
I loved when we was getting a character roughly every 2 months between :ulthero: and :ultbyleth:. Felt like the right amount of time for me personally.

The lengthy gaps in FP2 is probably a mix of COVID and the first 2 characters being amongst the least conventional in Smash history. Maybe they front loaded the pass with the complicated characters to account for potential delays, things might speed up to FP1 levels later on.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
People need to remember that the dev team's probably been downsized a lot compared to the first pass, as some people probably got assigned to other projects and stuff

This was gonna take long even before covid happened

Last edited:

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
People need to remember that the dev team's probably been downsized a lot compared to the first pass, as some people probably got assigned to other projects and stuff

This was gonna take long even before covid happened
Other projects you mean like another smash game??! /s

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The December 2021 deadline is mainly a safe threshold to account for potential problems during development. Like with Covid for example although Sakurai did say it didn't affect development that much.

I'd say Steve and how unusual his moveset is and how time consuming it was for him was probably a big reason for the bigger deadline. He makes Hero look like Banjo.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Billybo10K is back!
"Dante chance - 90%"

Man, I can understand confidence, but 90%? Putting our chances of getting a Capcom character in general at 90% is already a pretty bold claim. Giving someone in a race as competitive as Capcom, where Monster Hunter is a major juggernaut and there's a ton of smaller options like Phoenix Wright and Amaterasu, a 90% feels like wishful thinking impacting analysis.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
"Dante chance - 90%"

Man, I can understand confidence, but 90%? Putting our chances of getting a Capcom character in general at 90% is already a pretty bold claim. Giving someone in a race as competitive as Capcom, where Monster Hunter is a major juggernaut and there's a ton of smaller options like Phoenix Wright and Amaterasu, a 90% feels like wishful thinking impacting analysis.
Agreed. Really I think Dante has a shot but not as likely as people make it out to be which likely all began due to those tweets a few years back.

I would really go on to say Monster Hunter has a better shot.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
"Dante chance - 90%"

Idk man DMC3 Switch sus.

In all seriousness all Smash speculation tubers have crazy ass takes, ****, the site's homepage promoted a video of a guy who says Geno's a key part of gaming history while Dante, Doonguy and Master Chief are all bandwagons of very loud fans. Dante, who's the pioneer in hack n slashes/character action/spectacle fighters and influenced one of Sony's biggest franchises. Doomguy and Master Chief, who were literally faces of the entire genre for at least their respective console generation. These three fail to compare to One Off Mario Character who uhhhh has lots of loud fans

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
And as a Capcom rep, i'm myself going for Phoenix.

Monster Hunter dev had the possibility from the start to push for a hunter as a fighter. It didn't happen. It's not happening.

Dante may be a big name overall, but he is not a Nintendo-y character. I don't see Nintendo chose him. I don't think he was really in the short list at all.

Moreover, is they are going new gimmicks in this pass, both Amateratsu and Phoenix have more potential. I'm removing Amateratsu however, because she is neither as big as Dante, nor enough Nintendo related like is Phoenix. Too bad because another quadrupedal would be fun.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Koei Tecmo - Ryu, Atelier rep
Namco - Dig Dug, Llyod, KOSMOS, Taiko no Tatsujin , Agumon, Dark Souls Rep, Soul Calibur Rep, God Eater Rep,
Square - Bubble Bobble, Bravely, Sora, Kain or Raziel, Lara Croft, Space Invaders, Aya, Star Ocean Rep, SaGa rep, Mana rep. (Rpg list goes on), Neku, Leo/Emma
Sega - Alex Kidd, NIGHTS, Phantasy Star Rep, Akki, Sakura, Arle, Kiryu, Billy Hatcher
Activision - Crash, Spyro, Diablo Rep, Tracer, Pitfall Rep
EA - Sims, Mass Effect, Plants vs. Zombies (in b4 "we can play that in Smash already!"), Dragon Age, Dead Space and Command & Conquer, System Shock
Atlus - Shin Megami rep, Etrian Odyssey rep
Capcom - Dante, Ammy, Arthur, Monster Hunter, Phoenix, Viewtiful Joe
Nihon Falcom - Adol, ToCS rep
Microsoft - Master Cheif, Conker, other Rare reps
Konami - Frogger (I mean, they killed Goemon. and Bomberman twice)
Warner Bros - Maxwell, Mortal Kombat
Valve - Gordan Freeman, Chell, TF2 rep
Ubisoft : Rayman
Arc - Sol Badguy
Sakurai - Fighting Dragons character (wouldn't it be cathartic to have a prototype character from the original smash prototype be a DLC character. Anyone else?)

---

If capcom does get another rep, I am partial to Ammy.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Monster Hunter dev had the possibility from the start to push for a hunter as a fighter. It didn't happen. It's not happening.

Dante may be a big name overall, but he is not a Nintendo-y character. I don't see Nintendo chose him. I don't think he was really in the short list at all.

Moreover, is they are going new gimmicks in this pass, both Amateratsu and Phoenix have more potential. I'm removing Amateratsu however, because she is neither as big as Dante, nor enough Nintendo related like is Phoenix. Too bad because another quadrupedal would be fun.
I hope you're right. I really want Phoenix Wright or Amaterasu.

Here's the thing though, at the time of the first pass, there were no plans for a second so for all we know they might have chosen Monster Hunter in spite of game content of it already being in base game.
I don't want to see the lifeless face of the Mii Swordfighter with Dante's costume, that image would probably never let me live in peace lmao
Watch instead actually Devil May Cry gets spirited.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly I wouldn't write off the chance of a TGA reveal. All signs point to the fact that Byleth was initially planned to be announced there, from the trailer format making people think it was for Three Houses at first, to insiders reporting that several things planned for the awards didn't pan out, to the full version of Edge of Dawn releasing on iTunes the day of the ceremony. Plus the game took home the second highest amount of awards that night so it would've been a good fit anyway.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I don't want to see the lifeless face of the Mii Swordfighter with Dante's costume, that image would probably never let me live in peace lmao
Dante, one of the most charismatic characters in video games with a surprisingly realistic take on depression making everyone's favourite wacky wahoo pizza man way more relatable and nuanced as he has any ****ing right to be, as a blank slate would be so ****ing uncanny

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Since Bomberman gets alt colors, I actually think it would be cool if Mortal Kombat got acknowledgement with a Ninja Mii Costume, and you can changed the color to match a Specfic Ninja (Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Reptile, Noob, Smoke, Etc). I gave up on Scorpion as playable honestly.
That idea of a mortal kombat ninja mii costume with different colors representing those characters would be really insane. I hoped Smash team read this post haha. It can came with Ryu Hayabusa (alonside with Kasumi, Samurai Goroh and Lloyd costumes)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Another part of me tends to feel the reason people expect Dante is due to Bayonetta despite that not being the case and the creator no longer holds the rights to either or one of them.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I feel like Sora AND Geno can get in this pass, but only if Square Enix doesn't see Geno as "taking up a slot" for putting in another character of theirs and is just Nintendo's character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Eh, the world survived Devil May Cry 2. A mere downloadable Mii shouldn't be too bad.
No but DMC2 Dante ACTUALLY makes him better as the canon timeline has him at his lowest, especially with the anime, which takes place in between 1 and 2, has subtle hints that Dante's spiraling into depression due to the grief and frustration at the loss of his family, with the thing that pulls Dante out of his slump being that he learns that he still has family. This is the same franchise where you smack people with an electric guitar that turns into a sycthe and shoots and electrical bats btw.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If anything from Devil May Cry was bad, it was that imposter so-called reboot known as DINO (Dante In Name Only).

Just some crackhead who smoked pot and weed that tried to impersonate the pizza-loving demon slayer we all know. That deserves to be long forgotten in the dust.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
If anything from Devil May Cry was bad, it was that imposter so-called reboot known as DINO (Dante In Name Only).

Just some crackhead who smoked pot and weed that tried to impersonate the pizza-loving demon slayer we all know. That deserves to be long forgotten in the dust.
I think Donte is the most commonly agreed upon name for that guy.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Anyway, I'm pretty confident in a Capcom character...it's just hard to pin down exactly who.

Not just pot and weed, but marijuana as well!

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

I don't want to be that guy... But I bet no one here imagined Nintendo would choose Joker or any other Persona character before a Shin Megami Tensei character (if we stick to Atlus) or before a 2nd Sonic rep (if we talk about SEGA in general).

Similar case with Cloud. Why would they choose him when there's Cecil or Terra, popular characters from also acclaimed FF games, that debuted on SNES? Or why adding Snake first for a Konami rep, when a Castlevania character was more Nintendo-y due to it's history.

Not trying to say they would go with Dante because of those cases. In the end, each character is picked for different reasons, but at this point I'm certain that it could go either way with Capcom.
About moveset potential, I mean... I wouldn't really say that easily that Phoenix or Amaterasu have more potential than Dante. Pretty much sure Amaterasu wouldn't be above of Dante in that regard, at least in my head. Phoenix I could see it, depending on how Sakurai decides to approach him. As for Dante, the man has enough material to pull off 3 or 4 different movesets with different gimmicks.

They could go with a big focus on Devil Trigger. They could implement Royalguard as a big part of his playstyle. They could give him his multiple styles of combat, with exclusive moves for each one of them. They could go with a big focus on his big arsenal of weapons. Or make a mix of all what I've mentioned.

Edit: they could even take some creative freedom and give him a Combo Gauge that goes from D to S like in the DMC games and IDK, Dante would make more damage depending on the rank, or maybe he would suffer less damage, or whatever idea they think.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
No but DMC2 Dante ACTUALLY makes him better as the canon timeline has him at his lowest, especially with the anime, which takes place in between 1 and 2, has subtle hints that Dante's spiraling into depression due to the grief and frustration at the loss of his family, with the thing that pulls Dante out of his slump being that he learns that he still has family. This is the same franchise where you smack people with an electric guitar that turns into a sycthe and shoots and electrical bats btw.

Fair point, actually.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I feel like Sora AND Geno can get in this pass, but only if Square Enix doesn't see Geno as "taking up a slot" for putting in another character of theirs and is just Nintendo's character.
Sure, but which would make them more money? Imo, Sora

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Sure, but which would make them mire money? Imo, Sora
Square - Bubble Bobble, Bravely, Sora, Kain or Raziel, Lara Croft, Space Invaders, Aya, Star Ocean Rep, SaGa rep, Mana rep. (Rpg list goes on), Neku, Leo/Emma

Looking at potential square reps. Did you know that they own Bubble Bobble and Space Invaders. They also have Lara croft. I buy into the Disney issue. So I think Sora is going to have issues. Geno..... I just cant see it at the moment.

I think their new property might be the next character.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Since Bomberman gets alt colors, I actually think it would be cool if Mortal Kombat got acknowledgement with a Ninja Mii Costume, and you can changed the color to match a Specfic Ninja (Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Reptile, Noob, Smoke, Etc). I gave up on Scorpion as playable honestly.
Bruh, I would love this idea to happen and I would definitely buy the Mii costume. :p

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm curious to see the potential backstory of certain third party characters and why they're in the second pass. Min Min was obviously a correction of ARMS's unfortunate timing around Ultimate's release and Steve in both negotiations and concept likely took a long time to put together so it might telling for what we'll see over the next year. Basically if we get a Dante, what made him more practical now as opposed to last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom