• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Smash fanbase yesterday: "OMG RYU HAYABUSA IS TOTALLY IN"

Smash fanbase today: "I don't actually think it could mean he's in Smash."

Another long wait. I'm hoping that TGS is when CP8 will be revealed, even if the character releases in January/February. Which makes me bring back to some Insiders saying that Byleth was suppose to be revealed in December I think(I'm assuming it would be TGS). If that's true, wonder why it didn't pan out.
TGS as in Tokyo Game Show? That happened in September.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
The main thing I say when it comes to arguments saying they're not actually video game characters is that Dynasty Warriors is a video game franchise. They may not be original to video games, but it's Koei-Tecmo's interpretation on those characters and settings. They have just as much of a chance as any other video game franchise out there.
I have been taking a stance that is similar. I want Aya Brea from Parasite Eve (yes. I know. she is a who character) and given her series is based on a book, it is gray. But she is a Video game only character made and owned by Square. Son Wu Kong and all the copies are another example. All of them are based on fiction. I think being based on something is not enough to discredit. If it is a video game character and made to be original, then I think it is fine. But there are tons of caveats there.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
For the most part, Bomberman has no arm cannon/gun that fires projectiles.
Certainly. But "for the most part" neither does Sans. He summons floating skulls that shoot things. That's not an arm cannon or a gun. But they turned it into one, so they could shoehorn him into being a Gunner. Because that's the MOVESET that made the most sense for him.

Likewise, the the Gunner moveset is what makes the most sense for Bomberman. They just needed to pick something from the series that vaguely resembles a cannon and stuck it to his arm.

SKX31

Smash Master
I saw it as historical fiction. Which is this weird gray area to me. If they are "original" characters based on history/fiction. They have a chance. but it is a weird gray area for me.
It depends heavily on how that the gray area is defined. Dynasty Warriors has this chain:

The real life Three Kingdoms period (series of wars / civil wars in China, ca. 190-280 AD) -> Records of the Three Kingdoms (historical document, written ca. 280 AD.) -> Romance of the Three Kingdoms (Historical novel / fictionalization, written in the 1300s) -> Dynasty Warriors.

I'm kind of partial to Velveeta Dream's take since after all, it's K-T's take on the characters. While historical people can certainly be a sore spot (heavily case-dependent) it's much easier to argue for a historical character in something like Smash if the person in question is not remembered as a saint / monstrous tyrant, and / or the people are more associated as say book characters.

Such as the DW cast: Romance of the Three Kingdoms (IMHO) helps Dynasty Warriors' case since Chinese and Japanese people have been used to DW's characters being fictionalized for 500+ years. One could argue that say a Roman character would be acceptable to Western audiences for similar reasons (quick edit: Oh yeah, Dracula. His legend is probably based on a real monarch / tyrant from 500 years ago, but the vampire's been fictionalized for 200 years by the time Konami made Castlevania. And Castlevania's take on Dracula's the one's that is used importantly.). It does get murkier with more recent people, although as Dr. Kawashima (living scientist who is an AT) has shown, it's not an impossibility. Consent becomes more important with more recent people I'd argue.

There is already a couple works of historical fiction series in Smash... kinda. The Napoleon GBA game (only released in Japan and France, natch): The only representation it has is through the fictional general Alessandro d-Inzaghi (main character) and he's a level 1 Spirit. Then there's Codename: STEAM, and it's only represented through the fictional Henry Fleming (Abraham Lincoln, who's in STEAM, doesn't appear as a Spirit either) I don't think that's indicative of much of anything though since they're minor series.

Re: Ninja Gaiden: The NES games are (in)famous as poster boys of Nintendo Hard. The first game in particular had quite the buzz when it released (1989), and sure, the series has been in the doldrums since 2012, but the NES games were far from obscure when they were topical.

Also, I've seen some additional EA representatives mentioned in the past: Mass Effect, Plants vs. Zombies (in b4 "we can play that in Smash already!"), Dragon Age, Dead Space and Command & Conquer for example. One could maybe add Battlefield and lesser known series like System Shock (the spiritual predecessor to Deus Ex and BioShock), although I can't see them in Smash really.

Warner Bros - Maxwell, Mortal Kombat
Valve - Gordan Freeman, Chell, TF2 rep
Y'know, I'm honestly fine with my most wanted (Valve's Dota 2) being nearly-impossible, since it's partly why I'm generally fine with characters regardless of who they are or which company they represent.

As for why that is... well those three you listed are a major reason why Dota 2 IMHO is nearly-impossible.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Since Bomberman gets alt colors, I actually think it would be cool if Mortal Kombat got acknowledgement with a Ninja Mii Costume, and you can changed the color to match a Specfic Ninja (Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Reptile, Noob, Smoke, Etc). I gave up on Scorpion as playable honestly.

Billybo10K is back!
I love it when Smash Legends come back.

I'd personally also love for Laxchris to do fake leaks again, but honestly fake leaks haven't been the same since base game

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
It depends heavily on how that the gray area is defined. Dynasty Warriors has this chain:

The real life Three Kingdoms period (series of wars / civil wars in China, ca. 190-280 AD) -> Records of the Three Kingdoms (historical document, written ca. 280 AD.) -> Romance of the Three Kingdoms (Historical novel / fictionalization, written in the 1300s) -> Dynasty Warriors.

I'm kind of partial to Velveeta Dream's take since after all, it's K-T's take on the characters. While historical people can certainly be a sore spot (heavily case-dependent) it's much easier to argue for a historical character in something like Smash if the person in question is not remembered as a saint / monstrous tyrant, and / or the people are more associated as say book characters.

Such as the DW cast: Romance of the Three Kingdoms (IMHO) helps Dynasty Warriors' case since Chinese and Japanese people have been used to DW's characters being fictionalized for 500+ years. One could argue that say a Roman character would be acceptable to Western audiences for similar reasons (quick edit: Oh yeah, Dracula. His legend is probably based on a real monarch / tyrant from 500 years ago, but the vampire's been fictionalized for 200 years by the time Konami made Castlevania. And Castlevania's take on Dracula's the one's that is used importantly.). It does get murkier with more recent people, although as Dr. Kawashima (living scientist who is an AT) has shown, it's not an impossibility. Consent becomes more important with more recent people I'd argue.

There is already a couple works of historical fiction series in Smash... kinda. The Napoleon GBA game (only released in Japan and France, natch): The only representation it has is through the fictional general Alessandro d-Inzaghi (main character) and he's a level 1 Spirit. Then there's Codename: STEAM, and it's only represented through the fictional Henry Fleming (Abraham Lincoln, who's in STEAM, doesn't appear as a Spirit either) I don't think that's indicative of much of anything though since they're minor series.

Re: Ninja Gaiden: The NES games are (in)famous as poster boys of Nintendo Hard. The first game in particular had quite the buzz when it released (1989), and sure, the series has been in the doldrums since 2012, but the NES games were far from obscure when they were topical.

Also, I've seen some additional EA representatives mentioned in the past: Mass Effect, Plants vs. Zombies (in b4 "we can play that in Smash already!"), Dragon Age, Dead Space and Command & Conquer for example. One could maybe add Battlefield and lesser known series like System Shock (the spiritual predecessor to Deus Ex and BioShock), although I can't see them in Smash really.

Y'know, I'm honestly fine with my most wanted (Valve's Dota 2) being nearly-impossible, since it's partly why I'm generally fine with characters regardless of who they are or which company they represent.

As for why that is... well those three you listed are a major reason why Dota 2 IMHO is nearly-impossible.
I am going to take the stance of "Original characters based on fiction or non-fiction are still original characters." I also think that game series have to be game series. Which I really need to spend lots of time defining. But not when there is a pizza in the oven,

Koei Tecmo - Ryu, Atelier rep
Namco - Dig Dug, Llyod, KOSMOS, Taiko no Tatsujin , Agumon, Dark Souls Rep, Soul Calibur Rep, God Eater Rep,
Square - Bubble Bobble, Bravely, Sora, Kain or Raziel, Lara Croft, Space Invaders, Aya, Star Ocean Rep, SaGa rep, Mana rep. (Rpg list goes on), Neku, Balan Wonderland Protag (this one might be a possibility)
Sega - Alex Kidd, NIGHTS, Phantasy Star Rep, Akki, Sakura, Arle, Kiryu
Activision - Crash, Spyro, Diablo Rep, Tracer, Pitfall Rep
EA - Sims, Mass Effect, Plants vs. Zombies (in b4 "we can play that in Smash already!"), Dragon Age, Dead Space and Command & Conquer, System Shock
Atlus - Shin Megami rep, Etrian Odyssey rep
Capcom - Dante, Ammy, Arthur, Monster Hunter, Phoenix, Viewtiful Joe
Nihon Falcom - Adol, ToCS rep
Microsoft - Master Cheif, Conker, other Rare reps
Konami - Frogger (I mean, they killed Goemon. and Bomberman twice)
Ubisoft : Rayman
Arc - Sol Badguy
Sakurai - Fighting Dragons character (wouldn't it be cathartic to have a prototype character from the original smash prototype be a DLC character. Anyone else?)

Since Bomberman gets alt colors, I actually think it would be cool if Mortal Kombat got acknowledgement with a Ninja Mii Costume, and you can changed the color to match a Specfic Ninja (Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Reptile, Noob, Smoke, Etc). I gave up on Scorpion as playable honestly.

I love it when Smash Legends come back.

I'd personally also love for Laxchris to do fake leaks again, but honestly fake leaks haven't been the same since base game
Not gonna lie That idea of the ninja costume sounds like best win to me for MK. I know it is a silly thought, I just think MK is way to violent of a property to touch. but again/ Bayo.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
me: Hahahaha people still believe in patterns when it comes to smash?

Also me: So I have a pattern-based theory, and I will dub it the Mii Costume Pack theory.

Round 1: Sega costumes. They accompanied a Sega character.
Round 2: Square-Enix costumes. They accompanied an Square-Enix character.
Round 3: Capcom and Konami costumes. They accompanied a Microsoft character.
Round 4: SNK and Sega costumes. They accompanied a SNK character.
Round 5: Ubisoft and Capcom costumes (Microsoft if you consider Cuphead Microsoft).

Capcom did not get a character this pass, ditto with Ubisoft. We didn't get a SNK costume until Terry. We didn't get Square-Enix costumes in Round 1. If you count Cuphead as a Microsoft character, we didn't get a Microsoft costume until two rounds after the Microsoft character, not before.

Round 6: Namco and Bethesda (technically Microsoft after the purchase) costumes.
Round 7: Microsoft, Konami and Namco costumes. They accompanied a Microsoft character (I am counting Steve as a Microsoft character).

We didn't get Microsoft costumes before Round 7.

This theory is admittedly flimsy and has a good chance of being proven wrong by the next challenger packs, but what I'm trying to suggest with this theory is that if a third party has a costume in a pass and they don't already have a fighter within the pass, there's a good chance that they're soft-disconfirmed, just like how in hindsight Capcom and Konami was seemingly soft-disconfirmed for FP1.
So if this theory is correct, it means that Namco, Bethesda and Konami isn't getting a fighter this pass. (would Bandai be considered separate from Namco though? )

Anyway, I hope I am wrong because the soft-disconfirmation stuff would kinda blow for the speculation scene. We will just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master

Also me: So I have a pattern-based theory, and I will dub it the Mii Costume Pack theory.

Round 3: Capcom and Konami costumes. They accompanied a Microsoft character.
Round 5: Ubisoft and Capcom costumes (Microsoft if you consider Cuphead Microsoft).

Capcom did not get a character this pass, ditto with Ubisoft. We didn't get a SNK costume until Terry. We didn't get Square-Enix costumes in Round 1. If you count Cuphead as a Microsoft character, we didn't get a Microsoft costume until two rounds after the Microsoft character, not before.

Round 6: Namco and Bethesda (technically Microsoft after the purchase) costumes.
Round 7: Microsoft, Konami and Namco costumes. They accompanied a Microsoft character (I am counting Steve as a Microsoft character).

This theory is admittedly flimsy and has a good chance of being proven wrong by the next challenger packs, but what I'm trying to suggest with this theory is that if a third party has a costume in a pass and they don't already have a fighter within the pass, there's a good chance that they're soft-disconfirmed, just like how in hindsight Capcom and Konami was seemingly soft-disconfirmed for FP1.
So if this theory is correct, it means that Namco, Bethesda and Konami isn't getting a fighter this pass. (would Bandai be considered separate from Namco though? )

Anyway, I hope I am wrong because the soft-disconfirmation stuff would kinda blow for the speculation scene. We will just have to wait and see.
I think Ubisoft and Bethasda are definitly Soft Deconfirmed

I also think Konami is Soft Deconfirmed, since we got a Completely new costume in Bomberman (not Accompanying a Konami character). I gave Goemon a pass, but i think they are done

I think a company is only Soft Deconfirmed when they get a Completely new Costume, and it's not with any of their characters. I do agree that even with Returning Costumes that it might make them less likely. It's why I'm more Skeptical on Namco.

Sega, Capcom, and Square I say are on the same amount of likelyness right now, but that could change with the next Mii Costume pack

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I think Ubisoft and Bethasda are definitly Soft Deconfirmed

I also think Konami is Soft Deconfirmed, since we got a Completely new costume in Bomberman (not Accompanying a Konami character). I gave Goemon a pass, but i think they are done

I think a company is only Soft Deconfirmed when they get a Completely new Costume, and it's not with any of their characters. I do agree that even with Returning Costumes that it might make them less likely. It's why I'm more Skeptical on Namco.

Sega, Capcom, and Square I say are on the same amount of likelyness right now, but that could change with the next Mii Costume pack
HOW DARE YOU!!!!. Goemon was only 75 cents. Buy him. But other then that. I think Goemon killed Konami in FP1 and Bomberman killed them in FP2.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Actually on Mii Costumes, there is something I'm wondering

Do they Plan all the Mii Costumes from the begining you think, or do you think some of them are added as time goes on. I'm gonna assume that Costumes are made as the Fighters are made. So for example, none of Terry's or Byleth's costumes were in Production when Joker, Hero, and Banjo were beng developed. Same deal with FP2 i feel.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Sega, Square-Enix, & Capcom has also have the character potential factor; with so many various popular & unique fighters to potentially choose from that there's a natural tendency to think they'll end up in the second Fighter's Pass in some fashion. While I think Sega's selections are a bit more Japan oriented (with SE and Capcom boasting slightly more characters that appeal to both hemispheres) its so easy to imagine any of them showing up.

If we're getting truly new companies to Smash ala Activision & Koei Tecmo is the real burning question.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I am going to take the stance of "Original characters based on fiction or non-fiction are still original characters." I also think that game series have to be game series. Which I really need to spend lots of time defining. But not when there is a pizza in the oven,

Namco - Dig Dug, Llyod, KOSMOS, Taiko no Tatsujin , Agumon, Dark Souls Rep, Soul Calibur Rep, God Eater Rep,
Square - Bubble Bobble, Bravely, Sora, Kain or Raziel, Lara Croft, Space Invaders, Aya, Star Ocean Rep, SaGa rep, Mana rep. (Rpg list goes on), Neku, Balan Wonderland Protag (this one might be a possibility)
Sega - Alex Kidd, NIGHTS, Phantasy Star Rep, Akki, Sakura, Arle, Kiryu
EA - Sims, Mass Effect, Plants vs. Zombies (in b4 "we can play that in Smash already!"), Dragon Age, Dead Space and Command & Conquer, System Shock
Arc - Sol Badguy
Sakurai - Fighting Dragons character (wouldn't it be cathartic to have a prototype character from the original smash prototype be a DLC character. Anyone else?)

Not gonna lie That idea of the ninja costume sounds like best win to me for MK. I know it is a silly thought, I just think MK is way to violent of a property to touch. but again/ Bayo.
Should probably mention that the "Balan Wonderworld Protag" has names (the boy is named Leo, and the girl is named Emma). Just wanted to clarify that.

Also, could you add Billy Hatcher to the list? I know he isn't happening in... ANY life, really, but it'd make me feel better about having a pipedream that's so unlikely...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
oh crap that reminds me of a Capcom rep that's slept on even more than Joe well ok they actually have a snowball's chance in hell but

Zack and Wiki

i want a sequel already 😭

volbound1700

Smash Master
In the deepest reaches of my heart, I can forgive the Grinch leak(Even though I was a purebred Box loyalist), because the Grinch lasted, what, less than a month?

I guess it IS October after all, because Cacomallow keeps coming back like a B-movie slasher villain who just won't stay dead.
I don't understand the obsession with Cacomallow from a hate perspective here. It doesn't even hint at a character reveal (I know you guys are obsession over Geno). Both Mii Costumes could be released without a character reveal from that series. There has been very little connection between the Mii Costumes and Character reveals. We got Megaman stuff with Terry lol.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't understand the obsession with Cacomallow from a hate perspective here. It doesn't even hint at a character reveal (I know you guys are obsession over Geno). Both Mii Costumes could be released without a character reveal from that series. There has been very little connection between the Mii Costumes and Character reveals. We got Megaman stuff with Terry lol.
Actually Byleth. All of the costumes Terry came with were from fighting games.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Round 3: Capcom and Konami costumes and one Indie costume. They accompanied a Microsoft character.

you kinda forgot Sans there

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Smash fanbase yesterday: "OMG RYU HAYABUSA IS TOTALLY IN"

Smash fanbase today: "I don't actually think it could mean he's in Smash."

Another long wait. I'm hoping that TGS is when CP8 will be revealed, even if the character releases in January/February. Which makes me bring back to some Insiders saying that Byleth was suppose to be revealed in December I think(I'm assuming it would be TGS). If that's true, wonder why it didn't pan out.
If Byleth was supposed to be a TGA reveal, that might make the chances of a reveal happening at the 2020 GA a little better. But I still think it's unlikely. Nintendo hasn't been doing general Directs, so we haven't been getting our trailers in much advance like we normally would. Which sucks and makes the wait worse, but also makes me feel like if CP8 is in January, TGA would be a month+ away from that, so we probably wouldn't see them.

I, too, miss getting a trailer for a character a month or two in advance. But they haven't done that for the past 3 characters and have instead just gone trailer -> presents in the same video or in the case of Steve, two days after -> release a week or so after. We did kinda get something with the ARMS guessing game, but that still wasn't a trailer, and Nintendo has since dropped the general Direct format.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Actually Byleth. All of the costumes Terry came with were from fighting games.
Ok, I can't keep up with when they were reveal. The point is that there isn't any consistent pattern to Sakurai and the Mii Costumes. Everyone blew up when I said CacoMallow wasn't dead. That is the truth. However, that leak:

1. Doesn't seem likely. The time argument is has merit but it doesn't conclusively discount the leak. Look at Vergeben with Minecraft.

2. The CacoMallow leak really doesn't tell us anything regarding a playable character in retrospect. We could get Doom Mii costumes without an actual Character. Same is true with Mallow.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Because it's blatantly fake and the only reason it's 'alive' is because people choose to ignore how none of it makes sense, so seeing people proudly proclaim a blurry modded video still has a rock solid chance of being legitimate after literally 335 days is annoying at best

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Ok, I can't keep up with when they were reveal. The point is that there isn't any consistent pattern to Sakurai and the Mii Costumes. Everyone blew up when I said CacoMallow wasn't dead. That is the truth. However, that leak:

1. Doesn't seem likely. The time argument is has merit but it doesn't conclusively discount the leak. Look at Vergeben with Minecraft.

2. The CacoMallow leak really doesn't tell us anything regarding a playable character in retrospect. We could get Doom Mii costumes without an actual Character. Same is true with Mallow.
We could even get a deluxe Mii for Geno and still get the Mallow hat. They could make sense to come with, say, Neku or Sora

kylexv

Smash Master
So I was doing some thinking. Steve's release is around 3 1/2 months after the release of Min Min. We have 14 months left before December 2021, so it's likely that the remaining fighters will follow a similar pattern. Seeing as the DLC fighters have been releasing in the first half of the week (Monday-Wednesday), I'll aim for dates around there.

FP6-FP7: June 29, 2020-October 13, 2020 (106 days)
FP7-FP8: October 13, 2020-January 27, 2021 (106 days)
FP8-FP9: January 27, 2021-May 11, 2021 (104 days)
FP9-FP10: May 11, 2021-August 25, 2021 (106 days)
FP10-FP11: August 25, 2021-December 7, 2021 (104 days). Would be nice to end DLC exactly 3 years after launch.

So I guess this is around when we should expect reveals, assuming things stay consistent, which is unlikely, but still.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Should probably mention that the "Balan Wonderworld Protag" has names (the boy is named Leo, and the girl is named Emma). Just wanted to clarify that.

Also, could you add Billy Hatcher to the list? I know he isn't happening in... ANY life, really, but it'd make me feel better about having a pipedream that's so unlikely...
Billy might show up. If not, he would be a great mii costume. I will add him to list.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
So I was doing some thinking. Steve's release is around 3 1/2 months after the release of Min Min. We have 14 months left before December 2021, so it's likely that the remaining fighters will follow a similar pattern. Seeing as the DLC fighters have been releasing in the first half of the week (Monday-Wednesday), I'll aim for dates around there.

FP10-FP11: August 25, 2021-December 7, 2021 (104 days). Would be nice to end DLC exactly 3 years after launch.

So I guess this is around when we should expect reveals, assuming things stay consistent, which is unlikely, but still.
If the next fighter is gonna release on January, I actually think that FP8 could be revealed on the Game Awards, depending in who's the character.

I know this could apply to Byleth last year, but for that reason I think who's the character it's key here. If it's popular third party, I could see FP8 happening at the Awards. Not that I think it's very likely though, they could always follow what they did for Min Min and Steve.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Its worth noting that the time between Min Min and Steve is longer than of the times between characters of the first fighters pass, which were often much shorter. I think the big factor in regards to time will be how complicated each fighter will be here on out.

My rough prediction (though probably colored by wishful thinking) is

Fighter 8: Revealed mid December - Released early/mid January
Fighter 9: Revealed mid-late March - Released Early April
Fighter 10: Revealed early/mid June - Released early July
Fighter 11: Revealed late September - Released mid October

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Square - Bubble Bobble, Bravely, Sora, Kain or Raziel, Lara Croft, Space Invaders, Aya, Star Ocean Rep, SaGa rep, Mana rep. (Rpg list goes on), Neku, Leo/Emma
Sega - Alex Kidd, NIGHTS, Phantasy Star Rep, Akki, Sakura, Arle, Kiryu, Billy Hatcher
Arc - Sol Badguy

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The second pass was never going to go as quickly as the first pass.

Starting with Hero, we got a new character every other month. If Sakurai was able to copy that pattern starting now with Steve onward, we'd have F11 by June. Considering how we had a December 2021 deadline BEFORE the pandemic, that seems like wishful thinking.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Might be pretty funny, but I wouldn't want them, and I feel like it would generate a lot of complaints. Captain Falcon, and to a lesser extent, Samus, are already pretty much this character. I think the vast majority of people would be happier to get a character from another game. Even a LoL rep would be better-received, imo. And if they wanted to have a Smash-original character playable, I think better choices would be Master Hand, Sandbag, Tabuu, or Primid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom