• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
With the All Mighty Vergeburger gracing us with his presence saying discussions between Nintendo and Koei-Tecmo did happen, pretty much any KT character is a frontrunner, which means a great amount of people believe it's Ryu Hayabusa. Even during that time Vergeben had that deconfirmation spree anime arc prior to FP5, he floated the idea that discussions may have been leaked around him. He's not a guarantee by any means since Koei-Tecmo does have a good amount of notable franchises as well, but he's the 1 that currently has traction it seems.

It was expected to be completed in February this year but they finished a month early.
Could be Ryu Hayabusa, could also be Impa. Impa has some strong popularity as well.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Is Bomberman a Deluxe costume?
I mean, that's a fan term that doesn't have a real definition.

We've been using it for "costume that looks like the actual character instead of a Mii cosplaying as the character".

Some of those come with a song. Vault Boy didn't though.

So, yes, unless you think the song matters.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Why are we believing Vergeben again? Hasn't he gotten multiple things wrong like the List™️ and I remember something about Heihachi and FFXVI that was completely wrong. I know he said Minecraft content but that could have just been a lucky guess

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Why are we believing Vergeben again? Hasn't he gotten multiple things wrong like the List™️ and I remember something about Heihachi and FFXVI that was completely wrong. I know he said Minecraft content but that could have just been a lucky guess
Wait what? This is new to me

also if anyone has a GFAQs account, anyone ask him about the LoL rumor yet?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I dunno about the other things, but I don't think Minecraft was a lucky guess. He stuck by it for over a year even when there was no content in sight.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Let’s mix things up

REAN TIME

I feel like Estelle had all her bases covered and Adol has a lot of the major bases covered but I wanna see some talk about the Cold Steel boi
GOD YES.

Seeing someone say this is not something I ever expected to see here.

I know it'll never happen, and that he has a sword, but Rean is one of my favorite Kiseki characters, and I'd love to have him in.

Realistically, if we ever got a Falcom character, it'd be Adol/Estelle, (and mind you, I'd still be more than okay with that), but Rean is the one I want.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

I could just be remembering this wrong in fact I probably am but a few months ago he said "Heihachi will appear in a fighting game and FFXVI and KOFXV will be revealed" FFXVI happened several State of Play's later and we have heard nothing about KOFXV and the closest thing to Heihachi in a crossover we got was a Soulcalibur and Smash costumes

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I mean. that's a fan term that doesn't have a real definition.

We've been using it for "costumethat looks like the actual character instead of a Mii cosplaying as the character".

Some of those come with a song. Vault Boy didn't though.

So, yes, unless you think the song matters.
I dont know why I took Vault Boy as one, but didnt take Bomberman as one. I dont understand my own Smash logic, sometimes.
Perhaps because I know Bomberman very well?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Let’s mix things up

REAN TIME

I feel like Estelle had all her bases covered and Adol has a lot of the major bases covered but I wanna see some talk about the Cold Steel boi
Actually, didn't the Falcom guy say he'd want Rean or Adol? if I remember correctly, he said, "I'd want Adol, but I don't know how he'd play, so I guess I'll go with Rean." Can someone bring that interview up, please?

SKX31

Smash Master
If we are speculating on a game awards reveal, Crash is good friends with Dorito pope and a lot of big crash reveals happen on TGA.

Not holding my breath but it could happen
Where is the Mountain Dew though? :4pacman:

People have asked about that on the "redeemed" thread, but there's not been any activity from him since he last posted two days ago. He's not talked about that rumor AFAIK since he said he'd "look into it".

Mind you, I don't believe that he's a surefire sign of anything - he's not infallible as you said - but the silence from him about that rumor and the Koei Tecmo stuff is likely going to fuel a lot of speculation / questions. Even if neither LoL nor anything K-T gets in.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Let’s mix things up

REAN TIME

My most wanted specific character may be Estelle but my Most wanted series is just Trails as a whole, Whether it be Rean or Estelle I would love whoever got in, Rean would be spectacular and I would say he has a slightly higher chance than Estelle simply because Cold steel is newer and more popular worldwide. But Estelle is the more interesting character and the mascot of the Trails series, It is quite difficult to deduce who in fact would be the more likely Trails rep.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Could the Nintendo Koei.Tecmo talks be about the new Hyrule Warriors? The latter makes the games after all, i don't think is 100% smash related
I feel like that is most likely the case for the Nintendo/Koei Tecmo talks. Since if it was Hayabusa in Smash I think he would of been in Smash already in some form unless Koei/ Nintendo negotiation for Hayabusa is taking a very long time.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
how long ago did these KT talks happen?

cause mind you also, Yuri Kozukata from Fatal Frame is an AT and KT co-owns that series with nintendo. While KT doesn't show up in the "main" copyrights list, they show up in the classic credits, possibly due to Yuri

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura actually, here's a question I have for you.

If Rean got into Smash, what iteration of him would you choose (CS1, 2, 3, 4), and what would you make his Final Smash?

Personally, I always have a hard time imagining what I'd pick. For iteration, I'd imagine a thing where it's 1-2 Rean, with 4 Class VII uniform alts and 4 CSII outfit alts. I really like CSIII Rean's design, but I think it's best to go for Student!Rean for a Smash appearance.
The way I imagine it, the CSI alts would be Green, White, and Black, to be similar to the uniforms of the commoner and noble classes, with black as an extra 3rd color, and the alts of the CSII outfit being color palette swaps that look similar to the CSII outfits of the other Class VII Members.

As for Final Smash though, I can't decide whether I'd prefer him having Termination Slash - Dawn, or Valimar. Going by modern Smash Bros.' FS designs, it'd probably be a cutscene Final Smash, so it really just comes down to which would be cooler. Problems is, they both fit well, and they're both cool.

My most wanted specific character may be Estelle but my Most wanted series is just Trails as a whole, Whether it be Rean or Estelle I would love whoever got in, Rean would be spectacular and I would say he has a slightly higher chance than Estelle simply because Cold steel is newer and more popular worldwide. But Estelle is the more interesting character and the mascot of the Trails series, It is quite difficult to deduce who in fact would be the more likely Trails rep.
Estelle does have a bit more going for her aside from just being the first protag though, mostly due to Trails' status as a continuous series with games that all take place in the same world.

Even though she hasn't been the protagonist since 8 games ago, she still makes somewhat regular appearances in the story, and remains at least somewhat relevant going forward.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura actually, here's a question I have for you.

If Rean got into Smash, what iteration of him would you choose (CS1, 2, 3, 4), and what would you make his Final Smash?

Personally, I always have a hard time imagining what I'd pick. For iteration, I'd imagine a thing where it's 1-2 Rean, with 4 Class VII uniform alts and 4 CSII outfit alts. I really like CSIII Rean's design, but I think it's best to go for Student!Rean for a Smash appearance.
The way I imagine it, the CSI alts would be Green, White, and Black, to be similar to the uniforms of the commoner and noble classes, with black as an extra 3rd color, and the alts of the CSII outfit being color palette swaps that look similar to the CSII outfits of the other Class VII Members.

As for Final Smash though, I can't decide whether I'd prefer him having Termination Slash - Dawn, or Valimar. Going by modern Smash Bros.' FS designs, it'd probably be a cutscene Final Smash, so it really just comes down to which would be cooler. Problems is, they both fit well, and they're both cool.

Estelle does have a bit more going for her aside from just being the first protag though, mostly due to Trails' status as a continuous series with games that all take place in the same world.

Even though she hasn't been the protagonist since 8 games ago, she still makes somewhat regular appearances in the story, and remains at least somewhat relevant going forward.
CS1 as his default, maybe 2-4 as alts. I guess Valimar as the FS?

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
I looked into some things and it is worth mentioning how there are ways they could make an M rated fighter presentation work in America if we even get one. If they were so against it, they wouldn't even add Mii Costumes from M rated series already. If we do end up getting an M rated fighter, they could just bite the M-Rated promotion bullet in the American version. They could also will just not mention or scrap or not translate any moment where Sakurai mentions the series name in Japanese.

As a matter of fact, That's exactly what they've already done.

JP:ulthero:

UK:ultbanjokazooie:

American:ultgunner:

You can hear Sakurai saying something like "Hi," followed by the words "Fallout" in the UK and Japanese versions but the American version cuts that starting part and just goes to the Vault Boy part. They don't translate the words Fallout in the UK version but the JP version outright seems to actually show the words Fallout at the bottom.

Maybe the possible M rated character is big enough you wouldn't truly need the series' name to turn heads? Like Minecraft, there may not need to be an introduction to it for any region or at least America? If anything, articles and the game itself wouldn't need to be afraid of saying the series name unlike the advertisements.

Even in game, when Vault Boy and other M rated games got into Smash, the notifications state what series they're from like it's no problem in the actual game itself.

D

Deleted member

Neat. For Ryu. Why is he so popular for speculation? I know he is a popular character and a well loved character. But I NEVER heard his name until after the "leaks" I am always skeptical about leaks. Even Verge, who had information still would speculate on what he know. It was minecraft content, but not sure if character. devolved into a boss. Reality was it was Steve. I am certain he mulled on his info and played some speculation. So for Ryu. I just dont feel it. If I am wrong, so be it but Ryu just does not feel plausible to me.
For the most part, people see Hayabusa as a pretty cool character when his name gets floated in speculation. He has a good amount of things around the Ninja Gaiden games from being a series dating back to the NES era to a potentially cool looking moveset featuring the Izuna Drop that'd at least be neat to see in a possible Smash inclusion.
Could be Ryu Hayabusa, could also be Impa. Impa has some strong popularity as well.
Impa's a Zelda character. Unless KT owns their version of Impa and Nintendo specifically wanted Hyrule Warriors' version to be in it, they'd go to the people behind LoZ instead.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
how long ago did these KT talks happen?

cause mind you also, Yuri Kozukata from Fatal Frame is an AT and KT co-owns that series with nintendo. While KT doesn't show up in the "main" copyrights list, they show up in the classic credits, possibly due to Yuri
I am not exactly sure how long ago but I heard claims that insiders heard Hayabusa in talks around last year.

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
One way I think Rean’s sword style could be differentiated from existing sword fighters is that a lot of his crafts would have him swipe along the Z-axis, whereas a lot of existing swordfighters swipe along the XY-plane. In that sense it’d be kind of like Yuzuriha from Under Night In-Birth, or like Meta Knight’s F-Smash, except Rean’s sword would be a lot longer than MK’s. Maybe his mobility could be somewhat limited, but he’d have a long reach and his attacks would come out relatively quickly.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I could just be remembering this wrong in fact I probably am but a few months ago he said "Heihachi will appear in a fighting game and FFXVI and KOFXV will be revealed" FFXVI happened several State of Play's later and we have heard nothing about KOFXV and the closest thing to Heihachi in a crossover we got was a Soulcalibur and Smash costumes
KOFXV has been announced though. And I didn't know about Vergeben leaking FFXVI, but it's been widely reported that FFXVI was supposed to be revealed much earlier, but they swapped it out for Project Athia because that game showed off the PS5's power much better (and probably to save a huge reveal for later).

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Sony still has presence in japan tho. microsoft has virtually none. even if both are appealing to western markets first sony still has software that has appeal first and foremost in japan.
Like what? Astrobot? That's literally all I can think of. Everything else either isn't Japanese, or Japanese but with a strong western focus like Demon's Souls, which they have a western developer making.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Are you talking about the "Heihachi will appear in Smash in some form" post he made a couple of weeks before his mii costume reveal? Because if so then he's technically correct about that. Heihachi did "appear" in Smash as a mii fighter.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Actually, didn't the Falcom guy say he'd want Rean or Adol? if I remember correctly, he said, "I'd want Adol, but I don't know how he'd play, so I guess I'll go with Rean." Can someone bring that interview up, please?
Yeah, the interview with Kondo that’s from is here (the question about Smash is at the very end)

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I am looking at the big companies to compile a list of possibles. And Looking at Koei Tecmo.... No wonder it tends to just be Ryu. I mean, given Mai killed our sexy girl chances. All Koei Tecmo has left is Ninja Gaiden and Atlier. And while Iike the Iris series, it is not what I would call a "Huge" deal. I can see why when peopel say Koei Tecmo, Ryu is it.
For Namco, it is still a ball game. Just depends on preference. I am going to make an assumption that Mii costumes deconfirm. So goodbye Heihachi. But when I look at Namco, I see so many potential characters.

Koei Tecmo - Ryu
Namco - Dig Dug, Llyod, KOSMOS, Taiko no Tatsujin , Agumon, Dark Souls Rep, Soul Calibur Rep. So many choices.
Square - Bubble Bobble, Bravely, Sora, Kain or Raziel, Lara Croft, Space Invaders, Aya, Star Ocean Rep, SaGa rep, Mana rep. (Rpg list goes on), Neku,
Sega - Alex Kidd, NIGHTS, Phantasy Star Rep, Akki, Sakura
Activision - Crash, Spyro, Diablo Rep, Tracer, Pitfall Rep
EA - Sims
Atlus - Shin Megami rep
Capcom - Dante, Amy, Arthur, Monster Hunter, Phoenix, Viewtiful Joe
Nihon Falcom - Adol, ToCS rep
Microsoft - Master Cheif, Conker, other Rare reps

So a decent boomer list. What newer characters could be potentials? One thing to remember is that I dont think the company a rep comes from has to be big. We did get Terry.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I am looking at the big companies to compile a list of possibles. And Looking at Koei Tecmo.... No wonder it tends to just be Ryu. I mean, given Mai killed our sexy girl chances. All Koei Tecmo has left is Ninja Gaiden and Atlier. And while Iike the Iris series, it is not what I would call a "Huge" deal. I can see why when peopel say Koei Tecmo, Ryu is it.
For Namco, it is still a ball game. Just depends on preference. I am going to make an assumption that Mii costumes deconfirm. So goodbye Heihachi. But when I look at Namco, I see so many potential characters.

Koei Tecmo - Ryu
Namco - Dig Dug, Llyod, KOSMOS, Taiko no Tatsujin , Agumon, Dark Souls Rep, Soul Calibur Rep. So many choices.
Square - Bubble Bobble, Bravely, Sora, Kain or Raziel, Lara Croft, Space Invaders, Aya, Star Ocean Rep, SaGa rep, Mana rep. (Rpg list goes on), Neku,
Sega - Alex Kidd, NIGHTS, Phantasy Star Rep, Akki, Sakura
EA - Sims
Atlus - Shin Megami rep

So a decent boomer list. What newer characters could be potentials?
Star Ocean
i see youre a man of culture as well

anyway, for the "zoomer" picks:
KT - Atelier rep
Namco - uhhhh God Eater rep I guess
Square - the Balan Wonderland protag?
Sega - if you count her as such, Arle since she's not in the "boomer" list
EA - yeah I got nothin
Atlus - same
Capcom - same

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
i see youre a man of culture as well

anyway, for the "zoomer" picks:
KT - Atelier rep
Namco - uhhhh God Eater rep I guess
Square - the Balan Wonderland protag?
Sega - if you count her as such, Arle since she's not in the "boomer" list
EA - yeah I got nothin
Atlus - same
Capcom - same
Star Ocean 2 is my jam. SO3 was a little hard though. but I blame myself on that one. Had to try for 100%.

Koei Tecmo - Ryu, Atelier rep
Namco - Dig Dug, Llyod, KOSMOS, Taiko no Tatsujin , Agumon, Dark Souls Rep, Soul Calibur Rep, God Eater Rep,
Square - Bubble Bobble, Bravely, Sora, Kain or Raziel, Lara Croft, Space Invaders, Aya, Star Ocean Rep, SaGa rep, Mana rep. (Rpg list goes on), Neku, Balan Wonderland Protag (this one might be a possibility)
Sega - Alex Kidd, NIGHTS, Phantasy Star Rep, Akki, Sakura, Arle
EA - Sims
Atlus - Shin Megami rep, Etrian Odyssey rep

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Namco - Dig Dug, Llyod, KOSMOS, Taiko no Tatsujin , Agumon, Dark Souls Rep, Soul Calibur Rep, God Eater Rep,
Square - Bubble Bobble, Bravely, Sora, Kain or Raziel, Lara Croft, Space Invaders, Aya, Star Ocean Rep, SaGa rep, Mana rep. (Rpg list goes on), Neku, Arle
Sega - Alex Kidd, NIGHTS, Phantasy Star Rep, Akki, Sakura, Balan Wonderland Protag (this one might be a possibility)
EA - Sims
Atlus - Shin Megami rep
you kinda swapped Arle and Balan lol

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Star Ocean 2 is my jam. SO3 was a little hard though. but I blame myself on that one. Had to try for 100%.

Square - Bubble Bobble, Bravely, Sora, Kain or Raziel, Lara Croft, Space Invaders, Aya, Star Ocean Rep, SaGa rep, Mana rep. (Rpg list goes on), Neku, Arle
Sega - Alex Kidd, NIGHTS, Phantasy Star Rep, Akki, Sakura, Balan Wonderland Protag (this one might be a possibility)
EA - Sims
Atlus - Shin Megami rep
Man, I want Balan Wonderworld so bad. I managed to find gameplay footage, and it looks pretty solid. Granted, I think it was one of the Playstation versions, so take that as you will.

I'd like a Spirit Event for the game at least, but I won't get my hopes up...

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know, I just thought about it

Knuckles Would look (and Also Fit in terms of Moveset) so good if they managed to Re-do his Costume and make it look as good as Bomberman. The Propertions would be off, but I'd rather that than whatever we got right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom