• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I think it is not about how Big Steve is and more how we always assume 2 are coming at e3. and given the world at the time, It is just really hard to assume we are almost half way through FP2 and we only know 2 characters.
With an end date of December 2021, I honestly wouldn't have been surprised at all if the E3 reveal was just Min Min and the plan was always to show Steve closer to Minecon. :drshrug:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well given how long Vol 2 is expected to be in development for, I'm pretty much of the belief there was going to be only 1 reveal at this year's E3, and even if there was going to be multiple reveals at E3, I doubt CP8 was going to be revealed there, so your best bet was going to be Min Min x Steve anyways. If CP8 was going to be revealed at E3 like some people think, CP9 probably would've been revealed at the Fall Direct with us going into 2021 with 2 characters yet to be revealed. If that were the case, the completion date of Vol 2 would've been a lot sooner than December 2021.
Didn’t Vol 1 finish sooner than its projected finish date? What was it originally again?

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
With an end date of December 2021, I honestly wouldn't have been surprised at all if the E3 reveal was just Min Min and the plan was always to show Steve closer to Minecon. :drshrug:
I mean, it is possible. But given timeline.
We had Byleth drop in Janurary. And They told us Arms in March. If we assume they only started Min Min in Janurary after Byleth, then I can see what you mean. I think Min Min being delayed seems more probable, but this is all speculation.

Didn’t Vol 1 finish sooner than its projected finish date? What was it originally again?
Well. only by a month.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
If we are speculating on a game awards reveal, Crash is good friends with Dorito pope and a lot of big crash reveals happen on TGA.

Not holding my breath but it could happen

D

Deleted member

Given leaks and everything, who are the current suspected front runners? I know Steve must have upended what most assumed. So I am curious. I have thoughts and predictions on the last 4, but I also live in a bubble. So I need to see what the general consensus is first.
With the All Mighty Vergeburger gracing us with his presence saying discussions between Nintendo and Koei-Tecmo did happen, pretty much any KT character is a frontrunner, which means a great amount of people believe it's Ryu Hayabusa. Even during that time Vergeben had that deconfirmation spree anime arc prior to FP5, he floated the idea that discussions may have been leaked around him. He's not a guarantee by any means since Koei-Tecmo does have a good amount of notable franchises as well, but he's the 1 that currently has traction it seems.

It was expected to be completed in February this year but they finished a month early.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Given leaks and everything, who are the current suspected front runners? I know Steve must have upended what most assumed. So I am curious. I have thoughts and predictions on the last 4, but I also live in a bubble. So I need to see what the general consensus is first.
It's hard to say for sure - a lot of people are going to have their preferences and focus on details that make their most-wanted characters seem more likely, or downplay anything that makes their "competition" (characters from the same company, for example) seem like they've got more of a chance, so trying to pick out characters who are viewed as front-runners is tough in that context.

I've seen Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden get brought up a lot, though - lately, he's been mentioned by Nate Drake from Resetera and Vergeben from GameFAQs. (or at least, in Vergeben's case, there were rumblings that pointed to a Koei-Tecmo character getting in Smash) The Nate Drake thing could have easily been speculation, however.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
If we are speculating on a game awards reveal, Crash is good friends with Dorito pope and a lot of big crash reveals happen on TGA.

Not holding my breath but it could happen

Ok. Here are my thoughts on the remaining given the announcement of Steve. Being series (and from my bubble).

I believe Min Min and Steve were both Delayed. The Year of Mario has shown this. I think We would be getting FP8 by the end of this year, which might still happen, but I dont think we would have been waiting for 3 months with no new info like that. It is just odd. So Given what we have, I think this is what we can expect.

Min Min (Ninjara, Heihachi, Callie, Marie, Vault Boy)
Steve (Creeper, Pig, Diamond Armor, Gil, Bomberman, Travis)
The remaining Mii Costumes are Geno, Llyod, Chocobo and Monster Hunter Fighter.

I think that This plays a STRONG hint (but remember, speculation) on what we might be getting next. I was assuming CP7 was a mario character. But it is Steve. Maybe CP8 is a mario character, for the Mario 35th anniversary. I think it could be Geno. Throw in the Geno and Chocobo Mii and boom. CP8 would be killer. For the last three, I think It is a character from Capcom and from Namco. Monster Hunter is capcom's flagship. I could see the character coming from there, but I also feel that it is going to be closer to Dante. I am going with Dante personally. For Namco. Tales is huge. But I am partial to KOSMOS. It hits a sweet spot to me. Last one. Who knows. I am going to just say Ryu because that is what everyone is thinking, but I dont think so. Given how Geno, Dante and KOSMOS are older reps. I think a newer character is more likely. Maybe a character from a newer franchise that is owned by Nintendo or a third praty.

So, in conclusion

Geno (Geno and Chocobo)
KOSMOS (llyod)
Dante (Monster Hunter)
Ryu [mainly due to leakers]

That seems like a boomer list. oh boy. But i did say I am in a bubble.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Could the Nintendo Koei.Tecmo talks be about the new Hyrule Warriors? The latter makes the games after all, i don't think is 100% smash related
It was specified to be Smash related and not about Age of Calamity, though I won't rule out the possibility of it being for that too.

Perhaps it's also worth mentioning that Koei-Tecmo hasn't gotten any content added to Smash post-launch, so take that for what you will.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
i don’t see playable Geno coming with his costume as well, same with Lloyd. It’s either one or the other for DLC I feel. Yeah, K. Rool, Chrom, Isabelle and Inkling came with their costumes in base but that’s just it. They’re in the base game.

that’s just me tho

I do for sure think Geno and Chocobo’s costumes will come with a new Square character though

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
i don’t see playable Geno coming with his costume as well, same with Lloyd. It’s either one or the other for DLC I feel. Yeah, K. Rool, Chrom, Isabelle and Inkling came with their costumes in base but that’s just it. They’re in the base game.

that’s just me tho

I do for sure think Geno and Chocobo’s costumes will come with a new Square character though
Or we wont get the old mii costume in loo of a character. Maybe so. never know. What square character would be thinking though? Lara Croft?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Or we wont get the old mii costume in loo of a character. Maybe so. never know. What square character would be thinking though? Lara Croft?
2B, someone from the Bravely Series, or maybe even Neku

don’t see another FF character unless they’re from a non-VII installment, like Terra from VI

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
2B, someone from the Bravely Series, or maybe even Neku

don’t see another FF character unless they’re from a non-VII installment, like Terra from VI
I am not so sure about 2B. ever since Mai. Is Bravely "big enough"? I mean, given what we have so far. I really feel they are pulling for "icons."

Now, Joker does not fall into that. but
Hero is an Icon of JRPG.
Banjo is a ballot winner. He is an icon of the Platformer world.
Terry is a fighting game icon.
Blyeth is Nintendo
Min Min is Nintendo.
Steve is a gaming icon.

Even if we look back at Smash4 newcomers.
Ryu is a fighting game icon.
Cloud IS Mr. RPG in the west.
Bayo.... I toss her in with Joker.

But my point is, the 3rd party names tend to be large. icons.
But that is speculation.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Recently, Ryu Hayabusa's returned to prominence after Steve was revealed to have five years of negotiation, plus Vergeben coming back from the dead to talk about Nintendo and Koei-Tecmo's deals. Monster Hunter has also become a hot topic character after Rise, though we probably should've been taking about then earlier. Dante, Rex, and a Gen 8 Pokemon are still popular, and Geno's forever controversial.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I am not so sure about 2B. ever since Mai. Is Bravely "big enough"? I mean, given what we have so far. I really feel they are pulling for "icons."

Now, Joker does not fall into that. but
Hero is an Icon of JRPG.
Banjo is a ballot winner. He is an icon of the Platformer world.
Terry is a fighting game icon.
Blyeth is Nintendo
Min Min is Nintendo.
Steve is a gaming icon.

Even if we look back at Smash4 newcomers.
Ryu is a fighting game icon.
Cloud IS Mr. RPG in the west.
Bayo.... I toss her in with Joker.

But my point is, the 3rd party names tend to be large. icons.
But that is speculation.
Neku could be that Bayo/Joker camp of not being as huge as most others but having a loyal following. Could also be promotional if TWEWY2 becomes a thing

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Recently, Ryu Hayabusa's returned to prominence after Steve was revealed to have five years of negotiation, plus Vergeben coming back from the dead to talk about Nintendo and Koei-Tecmo's deals. Monster Hunter has also become a hot topic character after Rise, though we probably should've been taking about then earlier. Dante, Rex, and a Gen 8 Pokemon are still popular, and Geno's forever controversial.
Neku could be that Bayo/Joker camp of not being as huge as most others but having a loyal following. Could also be promotional if TWEWY2 becomes a thing
Neat. For Ryu. Why is he so popular for speculation? I know he is a popular character and a well loved character. But I NEVER heard his name until after the "leaks" I am always skeptical about leaks. Even Verge, who had information still would speculate on what he know. It was minecraft content, but not sure if character. devolved into a boss. Reality was it was Steve. I am certain he mulled on his info and played some speculation. So for Ryu. I just dont feel it. If I am wrong, so be it but Ryu just does not feel plausible to me.

For Rex.... I think he is only mentioned due to Min Min. But Sakurai said he wanted an Arms rep. But missed his chance. I dont think that is enough for Rex. Especially with the fact that Namco is still short in the character running.

I can see a Gen8 though. Nintnedo would do that.

Neku is possible. But would TWEWY2 be enough? I mean, it is possible.

Looks like speculation has narrowed down to a few characters. that worries me a little.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Funny that I dont think a Mii costume disconfirms a character, but seeing Travis made me think he was not going to be a character.
Oh, Smash logic we tell ourselves...

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Neat. For Ryu. Why is he so popular for speculation? I know he is a popular character and a well loved character. But I NEVER heard his name until after the "leaks" I am always skeptical about leaks. Even Verge, who had information still would speculate on what he know. It was minecraft content, but not sure if character. devolved into a boss. Reality was it was Steve. I am certain he mulled on his info and played some speculation. So for Ryu. I just dont feel it. If I am wrong, so be it but Ryu just does not feel plausible to me.

For Rex.... I think he is only mentioned due to Min Min. But Sakurai said he wanted an Arms rep. But missed his chance. I dont think that is enough for Rex. Especially with the fact that Namco is still short in the character running.

I can see a Gen8 though. Nintnedo would do that.

Neku is possible. But would TWEWY2 be enough? I mean, it is possible.

Looks like speculation has narrowed down to a few characters. that worries me a little.
I agree about Rex and the speculation narrowed down to only a few characters. IMO, the fact Sakurai got to revisit ARMS after Spring Man got an AT in base, does not guarantee Rex or an XC2 character. Key word here being guarantee.

even if TWEWY2 doesn’t happen, Neku has a lot of merits, including being a fledgling IP born on Nintendo, and in terms of licensing TWEWY is probably miles easier to work with than FF or DQ

I too don’t get the Hayabusa hype, but many claim he’s the “last remaining third party NES star”. I just have no attachment to him as I didn’t grow up with his games

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Don’t buy all the theories that Min Min was delayed too much or that they were planning to reveal CP7 and 8 at E3. The most probable output was that Min Min was suppose to released by early June, a week prior to E3. Then, Steve would be reveal at E3 and thats all. Probably, the original idea was also that Steve would have released mid september, the same day as the fall nintendo direct.

CP8 was probably planned to be revealed at that same september direct and released by late November.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly about 75% of the hot topic characters were originally from "leaks," and that's being generous.

Don't mess with us Atelier fans, we didn't know this series existed until a fake leak a couple months ago :4pacman:

I.D.

Smash Lord
That is post covid though. Who knows the original plan.
Sakurai said development has been going well.
No delays have been announced.
The original plan was "all fighters out by December 2021" and at this point it's becoming clear that wasn't a placeholder date, but an accurate estimation, just like the first season.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I agree about Rex and the speculation narrowed down to only a few characters. IMO, the fact Sakurai got to revisit ARMS after Spring Man got an AT in base, does not guarantee Rex or an XC2 character. Key word here being guarantee.

even if TWEWY2 doesn’t happen, Neku has a lot of merits, including being a fledgling IP born on Nintendo, and in terms of licensing TWEWY is probably miles easier to work with than FF or DQ

I too don’t get the Hayabusa hype, but many claim he’s the “last remaining third party NES star”. I just have no attachment to him as I didn’t grow up with his games
I hope for Neku (or atleast a Neku Mii costume). The hayabusa hype is lost on me also. I never saw him as a NES star. He had 3 games there, disappeared until the Xbox and then disappeared again. I mean, Double Dragon had more games on NES then him. So did Goemon (which is Mainly Japan). I think that belief is mainly echo chamber.

I agree. Sakurai was lucky to go back and add Arms. I dont think it guarentees Rex at all. Let me look around. I am curious what other characters may be plausible.

Sakurai said development has been going well.
No delays have been announced.
The original plan was "all fighters out by December 2021" and at this point it's becoming clear that wasn't a placeholder date, but an accurate estimation, just like the first season.
I think it is an accurate date. But I also think we are almost half way though the pass with only 2 characters now. We are expecting 4 characters all next year with 3 month windows? I was expecting 3 a year with 4 month windows.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If it doesn't EXPLODE, what's the POINT?!

Neither does Sans, but they still came up with something fitting.
Sans controls the Gaster Blasters in-game, which attack by shooting lasers. Ergo, Sans has a projectile-based gun-like weapon. Bomberman doesn't.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Is Bomberman a Deluxe costume?
Depends on your definition of “deluxe”

I personally count “deluxe” as coming with music, as you’d pay additional licensing fees to acquire that track. More accurate appearances like with Vault Boy and Bomberman don’t require shelling out extra cash, just gotta be good with modeling I guess

Dinoman96

Smash Master
In the case of Bayonetta, she essentially has the boost of being a quasi co-owned Nintendo IP now, with Nintendo publishing and funding her newest games. She also did well on the ballot.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sometimes I can’t help but feel like the odd person out in speculation

I go WAY against the status quo and predict “out there” choices that most don’t see as likely for one reason or another
I mean... now I need to know who you predict.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sometimes I can’t help but feel like the odd person out in speculation

I go WAY against the status quo and predict “out there” choices that most don’t see as likely for one reason or another
Same here. I have a really low bar of entry and tend to focus more on the positives and less on the negatives. That, coupled with the vast majority of my most-wanteds being pretty under the radar, means I tend to support characters who are deemed unlikely or just ignored. In general, my speculation just boils down to "Find someone I like and find a ledge to cling on to and convince myself they have a shot."

In the meantime, I am once again attempting to spark more Adol discussion.
I mean... now I need to know who you predict.
Most notably Elma, Octoling, and Neku. Probably a lot more that she could explain better than I could. I'm not her, so I'll let her take the wheel now.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Same here. I have a really low bar of entry and tend to focus more on the positives and less on the negatives. That, coupled with the vast majority of my most-wanteds being pretty under the radar, means I tend to support characters who are deemed unlikely or just ignored. In general, my speculation just boils down to "Find someone I like and find a ledge to cling on to and convince myself they have a shot."

In the meantime, I am once again attempting to spark more Adol discussion.
Let’s mix things up

REAN TIME

I feel like Estelle had all her bases covered and Adol has a lot of the major bases covered but I wanna see some talk about the Cold Steel boi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom