• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Now that I reread the line that Koei Tecmo was in talks with Nintendo. It can possibly be something unrelated to Smash since KT develoepd several games for Nintendo. Funny how we all groan when Smash fans claim that something unrelated to Smash is a hint for Smash when we're doing exactly that right now.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Now that I reread the line that Koei Tecmo was in talks with Nintendo. It can possibly be something unrelated to Smash since KT develoepd several games for Nintendo. Funny how we all groan when Smash fans claim that something unrelated to Smash is a hint for Smash when we're doing exactly that right now.
We all know that Koei Tecmo is making a brand new canon Legend of Zelda game. Maybe that was the talks.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
One way I think Rean’s sword style could be differentiated from existing sword fighters is that a lot of his crafts would have him swipe along the Z-axis, whereas a lot of existing swordfighters swipe along the XY-plane. In that sense it’d be kind of like Yuzuriha from Under Night In-Birth, or like Meta Knight’s F-Smash, except Rean’s sword would be a lot longer than MK’s. Maybe his mobility could be somewhat limited, but he’d have a long reach and his attacks would come out relatively quickly.
I feel like Gale would be a good Side-B. I'm not sure how it would work, but it's a move that just screams "Side-B!" to me. Alternatively though, Autumn Leaf Cutter might also be a good idea for a side-B

Flame Dragon might be good as a Down Smash, and I think Arc Slash would make a good Neutral Special.

Minor CS4 attack spoiler:
The version of Morning Moon Rean uses in his CS4 S-Craft could be a good up-smash.

I'm trying to think of a way to implement Spirit Unification into the moveset as well. Like maybe Rean would have a CP bar that fills up or something? I dunno.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
shortly before Byleth's reveal, didn't insiders say something about "not being allowed to mention Ryu Hayabusa"? tho in hindsight that may have been a misinterpretation

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I think I figured out why I seem to be so unaffected by the massive character droughts
View attachment 288343
this show puts Smash Hiatus to shame. We get a batch of episodes, and we would wait somewhere between 2-10 months for the next batch of episodes, which were probably filler.
It doesn't affect me much because I play more than just Smash.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
You forgot Arle Nadja.
Koei Tecmo - Ryu, Atelier rep
Namco - Dig Dug, Llyod, KOSMOS, Taiko no Tatsujin , Agumon, Dark Souls Rep, Soul Calibur Rep, God Eater Rep,
Square - Bubble Bobble, Bravely, Sora, Kain or Raziel, Lara Croft, Space Invaders, Aya, Star Ocean Rep, SaGa rep, Mana rep. (Rpg list goes on), Neku, Balan Wonderland Protag (this one might be a possibility)
Sega - Alex Kidd, NIGHTS, Phantasy Star Rep, Akki, Sakura, Arle
Activision - Crash, Spyro, Diablo Rep, Tracer, Pitfall Rep
EA - Sims
Atlus - Shin Megami rep, Etrian Odyssey rep
Capcom - Dante, Amy, Arthur, Monster Hunter, Phoenix, Viewtiful Joe
Nihon Falcom - Adol, ToCS rep
Microsoft - Master Cheif, Conker, other Rare reps
Konami - Frogger (I mean, they killed Goemon. and Bomberman twice)

No worries. Making a running list. Anyone I think of, gets added.

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
I think I figured out why I seem to be so unaffected by the massive character droughts
View attachment 288343
this show puts Smash Hiatus to shame. We get a batch of episodes, and we would wait somewhere between 2-10 months for the next batch of episodes, which were probably filler.

You have it easy.....months? Try YEARS
220px-Hunter_x_Hunter_cover_-_vol1.jpg

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Namco - Dig Dug, Llyod, KOSMOS, Taiko no Tatsujin , Agumon, Dark Souls Rep, Soul Calibur Rep, God Eater Rep,
Square - Bubble Bobble, Bravely, Sora, Kain or Raziel, Lara Croft, Space Invaders, Aya, Star Ocean Rep, SaGa rep, Mana rep. (Rpg list goes on), Neku, Balan Wonderland Protag (this one might be a possibility)
EA - Sims

What about Kiryu?

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
What about Kiryu?
I can see it. That is a massive series. Its rating may come into play. Be we have Bayo already. and if people expect Dante, not sure why Kiryu would have trouble.

Sega - Alex Kidd, NIGHTS, Phantasy Star Rep, Akki, Sakura, Arle, Kiryu
EA - Sims

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
EA - Sims

Warner Bros - Maxwell, Mortal Kombat
Valve - Gordan Freeman, Chell, TF2 rep

P.Kat

Smash Champion
EA - Sims

Apologies if I'm being nitpicky, but your forgetting another m for Ammy.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
shortly before Byleth's reveal, didn't insiders say something about "not being allowed to mention Ryu Hayabusa"? tho in hindsight that may have been a misinterpretation
anyone know anything about this?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Okay, but wait - where did we get this from in the first place? I wanna take a look at it for myself.

incineroar is fp9. they're adding a second one.
Aight, bookmarked it is, lol.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I'd like a link to that please if you please

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Sega - Alex Kidd, NIGHTS, Phantasy Star Rep, Akki, Sakura, Arle, Kiryu
EA - Sims
Capcom - Dante, Ammy, Arthur, Monster Hunter, Phoenix, Viewtiful Joe
Warner Bros - Maxwell, Mortal Kombat
Valve - Gordan Freeman, Chell, TF2 rep
Sakurai - Fighting Dragons character (wouldn't it be cathartic to have a prototype character from the original smash prototype be a DLC character. Anyone else?)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am looking at the big companies to compile a list of possibles. And Looking at Koei Tecmo.... No wonder it tends to just be Ryu. I mean, given Mai killed our sexy girl chances. All Koei Tecmo has left is Ninja Gaiden and Atlier. And while Iike the Iris series, it is not what I would call a "Huge" deal. I can see why when peopel say Koei Tecmo, Ryu is it.
I wouldn't say Ninja Gaiden and Atelier are the only 2 franchises it comes down to when Dynasty Warriors exists. The series spawned the Musou genre after all, so it amazes me to this day how overlooked Dynasty Warriors is when we got 3 Musou games from Nintendo properties.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So basically it’s a huge uncertainty - that’s the takeaway I assume?
It would seem so. Keep in mind that at the time, Byleth hadn't been revealed yet, so if Ryu really was Leakbait, then it could have been associate Scouting out people getting "intel"

and between the guy's source falling for Cacomallow, Saying 10 DLC instead of 11 (though perhaps FP11 is a Special Case), and saying all 3rd party, then getting blindsided by Byleth, the guy's source definitely isn't infallible.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I wouldn't say Ninja Gaiden and Atelier are the only 2 franchises it comes down to when Dynasty Warriors exists. The series spawned the Musou genre after all, so it amazes me to this day how overlooked Dynasty Warriors is when we got 3 Musou games from Nintendo properties.
I saw it as historical fiction. Which is this weird gray area to me. If they are "original" characters based on history/fiction. They have a chance. but it is a weird gray area for me.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think if there core Warriors games were bigger on Nintendo consoles (and to the latter's hardcore fans) outside the FE and Zelda variations they'd be a bigger deal, but as is they just lack the same impact as something like a Ninja Gaiden (if only for its retro history).

SNEKeater

Smash Master
No mention of the hee hoo peanut brain girl
View attachment 288339
The lack of Estelle in that interview is how Estelle wins
I was going to joke about this, saying that he not mentioning Estelle was because at the point of the interview (July 2019) he already knew Estelle was going to be one of the characters in Fighter Pass 2, so he just decided to talk about their big characters without mentioning Estelle.

But I guess cashregister9 just :ultgreninja:'d me.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I think if there core Warriors games were bigger on Nintendo consoles (and to the latter's hardcore fans) outside the FE and Zelda variations they'd be a bigger deal, but as is they just lack the same impact as something like a Ninja Gaiden (if only for its retro history).
Honestly speaking, I think Ninja Gaidens impact is over blown. They are fun games, but I never heard people talking about them until the Xbox games, and very little afterwards. When I hear people say Nintendo hard. It is castlevania and ghosts and goblins.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I think Arms character being revealed as a mystery at first was always intended, COVID or otherwise, it succeeded in getting people talking about Arms. I think E3 was originally going to be Min Min's reveal alongside Steve and Alex reveal. Having FP8 at E3 as well would be terrible spacing for the whole fighter pass, having half of it revealed a quarter of the way through the 2 year period, that seems ridiculous.

So I think FP8 could still be a Mario character that got delayed, however given the unpredictability of DLC speculation I wouldn't put money on it.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly speaking, I think Ninja Gaidens impact is over blown. They are fun games, but I never heard people talking about them until the Xbox games, and very little afterwards. When I hear people say Nintendo hard. It is castlevania and ghosts and goblins.
It definitely feels more recently highlighted (and potentially fueled by rumors and supposed leaks), but one advantage it has over Dynasty Warriors is possessing a central character to latch on to. There is one Ryu Hayabusa to recall and be hyped about as opposed to the larger casts of the DW games.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
It definitely feels more recently highlighted (and potentially fueled by rumors and supposed leaks), but one advantage it has over Dynasty Warriors is possessing a central character to latch on to. There is one Ryu Hayabusa to recall and be hyped about as opposed to the larger casts of the DW games.
Very fair rebuttal. DW does not really have a central hero that comes to my mind. But I am not really into that franchise. So I could not tell you.

D

Deleted member

I saw it as historical fiction. Which is this weird gray area to me. If they are "original" characters based on history/fiction. They have a chance. but it is a weird gray area for me.
The main thing I say when it comes to arguments saying they're not actually video game characters is that Dynasty Warriors is a video game franchise. They may not be original to video games, but it's Koei-Tecmo's interpretation on those characters and settings. They have just as much of a chance as any other video game franchise out there.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Smash fanbase yesterday: "OMG RYU HAYABUSA IS TOTALLY IN"

Smash fanbase today: "I don't actually think it could mean he's in Smash."

Another long wait. I'm hoping that TGS is when CP8 will be revealed, even if the character releases in January/February. Which makes me bring back to some Insiders saying that Byleth was suppose to be revealed in December I think(I'm assuming it would be TGS). If that's true, wonder why it didn't pan out.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
View attachment 288343
1601844760846.png

joining the memes

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Smash fanbase yesterday: "OMG RYU HAYABUSA IS TOTALLY IN"

Smash fanbase today: "I don't actually think it could mean he's in Smash."

Another long wait. I'm hoping that TGS is when CP8 will be revealed, even if the character releases in January/February. Which makes me bring back to some Insiders saying that Byleth was suppose to be revealed in December I think(I'm assuming it would be TGS). If that's true, wonder why it didn't pan out.
It could be that there was some additional work being done just to finish them up, or they felt a Byleth reveal wasn't an ideal fit for the Game Awards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom