• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the general consensus, yes.

That does include Pokemon Sword & Shield.
I would argue against this. No way a Sword & Shield Pokémon is automatically disqualified just because a few Pokémon who would’ve never been chosen to be playable were picked to be spirits. Pokémon is one Nintendo’s biggest franchises, like no duh they would do a spirit event for these brand new mainline games. There’s still 100% chance we could get a Sword/Shield Pokémon in Smash

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Considering that the leak scene has been very quiet, I'm calling off a surprise Announcement of an announcement for tonight.

This week's going to be very interesting, and very telling. Has our "1 reveal a week" come to an end? Well, we'll find out eventually.
Honestly, if we hear nothing Wednesday morning, I say the week's out.

We hear nothing by the following Wednesday after that? I'mma be:

6tbbl1855kqz.jpg

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Shame that they've failed to do that for the past month or so then. I can't remember a single big drop that wasn't leaked ahead of time, even if it was more subtle in its leak.

Hell, even SMTV was leaked, just no one really went in on it for some reason.
I mean SMTV was a relatively easy guess so that is probably why no one leaped onto that one. UNLESS it had more details than just "Shin Megami Tensei V will be in a showcase"

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I mean SMTV was a relatively easy guess so that is probably why no one leaped onto that one.
"Relatively easy"

I dunno about that one, Chief. Considering the game had been completely missing for three years, when someone PMs you randomly and says "SMTV and Nocturne HD are coming tomorrow", and that happens, you kinda realize "Oh, they knew."

cashregister9

Smash Hero
"Relatively easy"

I dunno about that one, Chief. Considering the game had been completely missing for three years, when someone PMs you randomly and says "SMTV and Nocturne HD are coming tomorrow", and that happens, you kinda realize "Oh, they knew."
People have been hoping for Shin Megami Tensei V for years so a lot of leakers probably liked messing with those people, The fact that it had Nocturne HD completely flips what I have been saying on it's head because no one knew about that so that leak was definitely real.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Picture of the day

Diamond and Pearl anniversary and oh god I did not realize it was that old and I now feel older as a result
Perfect time for Luxray to make it's grand debut as CP7.

Let me dream

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Smash 4 had the slots [unscrubbed from the data] which basically told us how many DLC characters we'd get,
Reeally? I did not recall this... I would like another source on this.

Here you guys go talking about half-remembering Diamond and Pearl while feeling old and I’m like “I got Pokémon Red and Blue when it first came out and even got the awesome player’s guide with it...”

Jokes aside, my daughter is a year and 3 months older than when Ultimate was released. My youngest is older than Terry but younger than Byleth.
But Terry is a lot older than Byleth...??

Shame that they've failed to do that for the past month or so then. I can't remember a single big drop that wasn't leaked ahead of time, even if it was more subtle in its leak.

Hell, even SMTV was leaked, just no one really went in on it for some reason.
...Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Shroob

Sup?
Reeally? I did not recall this... I would like another source on this.

But Terry is a lot older than Byleth...??

...Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
You don't remember how Smash 4 was found out to have 6 dummy "Mario" slots in the code? And then around the time of Ryu/Roy/Lucas they added a 7th. Hell, Ryu and Roy were flat out named in the code alongside Lucas.

And Age of Calamity was leaked. Imran randomly posted the day before it was shown off "Hyrule Warriors was a good game", and then had a big giggle after the presentation. This is the same guy that tricked everyone by leaking MinMin in an incredibly obtuse way that no one understood,

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
It wouldn't surprise me.

Only reason I'd like it to be soon is so that the pass as a whole isn't dragged out for ages. I don't think it'd be totally fair to keep the supposedly final four remaining newcomers unannounced and unreleased for another whole year, imo. Then again, COVID's a thing, so who knows how badly it's stalling development time.

How many people here actually took Flintstone's vitamin pills as a kid?

I'm curious with how much it's been memed lol.
Ah yes, the foul, chalky menace I faced each morning

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
My gut is telling me CP7 will be third party.
A lot of people's guts said the same thing about the last character of the first pass and the first character of the second pass.

At this point, I don't really think it's leaning more toward one over the other. F7 could be anything.

D

Deleted member

Not saying I am against a Gen 8 Pokemon, but the backlash when one releases is going to be dreadful.

If we do get a Gen 8 Pokemon, I just hope we don't complain that much. Complaining about characters gets old REAL fast.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You don't remember how Smash 4 was found out to have 6 dummy "Mario" slots in the code? And then around the time of Ryu/Roy/Lucas they added a 7th. Hell, Ryu and Roy were flat out named in the code alongside Lucas.

And Age of Calamity was leaked. Imran randomly posted the day before it was shown off "Hyrule Warriors was a good game", and then had a big giggle after the presentation. This is the same guy that tricked everyone by leaking MinMin in an incredibly obtuse way that no one understood,
Neither of these things ring a bell.
Though I absolutely remember Ryu being leaked. The Mario slots do....
(...but if there were only six slots leaked and then they added more- that really isn't a leak, since it at best would imply 6 and that's not the accurate number- so maybe that's why I don't recall it the way you do).

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Neither of these things ring a bell.
Though I absolutely remember Ryu being leaked. The Mario slots do....
(...but if there were only six slots leaked and then they added more- that really isn't a leak, since the fact of how many characters changed afterwards- so maybe that's why I don't recall it the way you do).
They added exactly 1 more around that period. It was probably when we got Pirate Ship back, or they added Super Mario Maker.

The game had Mario dummy slots, then Mewtwo got added in and "Oops here's Lucas, Roy and Ryu" with 2 Mario dummy slots, then 1 more was added later.

Sure, you couldn't say 'for certain' that would be all we'd get then, but looking back, yeah, you absolutely can now. There were 6 dlc slots at first, they added an extra one, we got 7 DLC characters in Smash 4.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Personally my gut is telling me that FP7 is going to deconfirm one of my wanted characters and that feeling of rising dread only gets greater with each passing day.

Or maybe it's the lactose intolerance, who knows.
Do we share the same gut?
I've also been feeling everyday that one of my most wanted characters is going to be deconfirmed in the next presentation. In this case I have a feeling it might be Monster Hunter. The next Mii costume wave has 6 costumes according to the photo contest gap, one costume more than previous waves. Monster Hunter has two mii costumes which would explain the extra sixth costume.

Time for another presentation to kill me on the inside

D

Deleted member

I've also been feeling everyday that one of my most wanted characters is going to be deconfirmed in the next presentation. In this case I have a feeling it might be Monster Hunter. The next Mii costume wave has 6 costumes according to the photo contest gap, one costume more than previous waves. Monster Hunter has two mii costumes which would explain the extra sixth costume.

Monster Hunter is still a strong contender though, I wouldn't rule them out yet. They are more likely than Dante and Phoenix Wright in my opinion.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Monster Hunter is still a strong contender though, I wouldn't rule them out yet. They are more likely than Dante and Phoenix Wright in my opinion.
Even if they're a strong contender that's only the case to us speculaters at this point in time, Resident Evil was once seen as the most likely Capcom rep and it died. If Monster Hunter will die in the next presentation then I hope it's at the hands of another Capcom character instead of someone from another company, because if it's the latter I'm gonna start doubting that a Capcom rep will happen in general.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Monster Hunter is currently leading in the Japanese Smash groups on who would be F7. From what I can gather, many think they won’t be based on Rise but wouldn’t have elements taken from the game that the team were able to gain access to and incorporate into their character. However, the groups seem to be at odds who it will actually be with MH and Dante being strong choices. MH seems to be gaining a lead (if you go by opinions and such and not actual numbers). These two tends to shut out voices for other non-Capcom characters.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Monster Hunter is currently leading in the Japanese Smash groups on who would be F7. From what I can gather, many think they won’t be based on Rise but wouldn’t have elements taken from the game that the team were able to gain access to and incorporate into their character. However, the groups seem to be at odds who it will actually be with MH and Dante being strong choices. MH seems to be gaining a lead (if you go by opinions and such and not actual numbers). These two tends to shut out voices for other non-Capcom characters.
I get the logic behind thinking MH's next, since a lot of people here think soo as well, but I still think there's a strong "Recentcy bias" behind that idea.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Oh boy, can't wait for the Monster Hunter vs. Dante Capcom Civil War.

Most people can probably guess which faction I'd be a part of.

D

Deleted member

How is Phoenix Wright doing in Japan?

Rikarte

Smash Ace

That's what I'm afraid of too. With Rise on everyone's mind I think right now is the best time to bring back the MH costumes should the Hunter not be a character.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I get the logic behind thinking MH's next, since a lot of people here think soo as well, but I still think there's a strong "Recentcy bias" behind that idea.
MH’s popularity in Japan can never be understated. It’s seeped into Japanese pop culture so much that it’s used in mass media almost daily. It’s not uncommon to hear the Monster Hunter theme when watching a tv show about a guy searching for animals in a jungle or the whole “cooking meat” meme is used when people are eating BBQ. It’s massive and, as the Japanese call it, MonHun has been dominating the speculation scene in Japanese Smash since, well, before Ultimate was released. It’s only recently that MonHun surpassed Dante in popularity in Smash though which I attribute to Rise. Still, it’s constantly ranked in the top five for most wanted newcomers in Smash.

How is Phoenix Wright doing in Japan?
As I said, Dante and Monster Hunter largely dominates all discussion. When they don’t, Sora, Crash, 2B, Hayabusa, and Bandana Dee often get discussion time. That being said, a lot of Capcom characters get largely dismissed.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ah yes, the great capcom wars, with MH, DMC, Phoenix Wright fans, and probably some others all violently beating eachother senseless.

While I, a Megaman fan, watch from a distance with popcorn in hand...
Yeah, it's "Monster Hunter" this, "Ace Attorney" that, the cries of Devil May Cry. All the meanwhile they're sleeping on someone very important.

No worries though, people will accept Amingo whether they like it or not. :troll:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
When they don’t, Sora, Crash, 2B, Hayabusa, and Bandana Dee often get discussion time
Hot damn, Japan loves their action games... and Bandana Dee.

Gotta say between those guys and Dante/Monster Hunter, I'm really liking Japan's taste.

D

Deleted member

I just realized.

Remember when Ashen Wolves (Three Houses DLC) had a trailer right after Byleth's presentation?

They could do the same for Crown Tundra and a Gen 8 Pokemon... :troll:

Though I'm not confident we will be seeing a Gen 8 Pokemon, because it got event spirits, while Three Houses didn't get any.

Last edited by a moderator:

I.D.

Smash Lord
I don't even care about the ads at this point. We have proof of several skipped news and a skipped tournament (that wasn't replaced with anything, leaving a blank week extremely unusual for Ultimate). To me that's a sign that almost everything is already in place for FP7 and Nintendo is just sitting on it. That or Sakurai wasn't being particularly sincere when saying development was going smoothly even while working from home.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't even care about the ads at this point. We have proof of several skipped news and a skipped tournament (that wasn't replaced with anything, leaving a blank week extremely unusual for Ultimate). To me that's a sign that almost everything is already in place for FP7 and Nintendo is just sitting on it. That or Sakurai wasn't being particularly sincere when saying development was going smoothly even while working from home.
I feel like the former option's more likely, well, not saying there's probably not internal trouble due to Covid, but

If we have proof that the current Spirit event is after a massive news gap, which we 100% do have proof of, it feels more like Nintendo's just holding the character for.... reasons.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I'm betting this week as well for news. And personally still sticking to my 3/3 1st/3rd Party split for the pass.

And my view that either Arc System Works/Fate/Falcom/No More Heroes will 100% take a spot.

I think I’m going to try to dig for some info on these ads though. I have three 7-11’s that I’m on a “banter”-relationship with as I often go to them to pick up stuff. They know my wife and kids, I teach some of thier kids at school, I’ve done stuff for them with translating signs, etc etc. I’m going to visit them and ask if there are any plans they may know of in regards to these ads once they get taken down after 10/4. I highly doubt they will know exactly but it’s worth checking out. I’ll stop by two of them on my way home today and then the third tomorrow morning.
Off topic but good someone else gets it with shopkeepers and such around. You get to hear new things about what's going on in the business and if stuff comes early.

I've done something like that before years ago, it wasn't Smash related but it was curiosity.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'm betting this week as well for news. And personally still sticking to my 3/3 1st/3rd Party split for the pass.

And my view that either Arc System Works/Fate/Falcom/No More Heroes will 100% take a spot.

Off topic but good someone else gets it with shopkeepers and such around. You get to hear new things about what's going on in the business and if stuff comes early.

I've done something like that before years ago, it wasn't Smash related but it was curiosity.
I said I would swing by after work but I was working past the clock to prepare for tomorrow so I had to rush home quickly. Seeing as how it takes me nearly an hour, I couldn’t make any additional pit stops. I’m going to try again tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom