• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
to the creation of Team Fortress, Portal
With the former, it was Quake. With the latter, it was Narbacular Drop.

It is true that the Source engine games are more popular, and Goldsrc led to Counter-Strike, however.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Yeah I think if Valve were to get a character, it would be Gordon Freeman.

People talk about Doom and Master Chief as FPS icons here, but never Gordon. Half-Life is as important as them, and the buzz of HL content being used somewhere would make headlines across gaming sites.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Since we're on the topic of Half-Life, I'll post this documentary.

Half-Life is very important to gaming. It definitely has a place in Smash.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Has this been posted yet?

Hmmm, I know this is just a mockup, but it answers a lot of my questions about what Doom Slayer would bring to Smash. I particularly like his proposed Classic Mode. Man, Dracula, Bowser, Ganon, Ridley and Marx are all really underutilized as bosses. I hope they get more appearances with the last DLC packs.

Also, can any Doom fan here explain Luigi as Baron of Hell and Mario as Imp? I think these were the hardest Spirit battles to understand in that mockup.

blackghost

Smash Champion
in terms of Valve characters, i'd only guess that the robots from portal 2 would get a chance or a team fortress 2 character most likely the scout or heavy. i dont think Nintendo is dropping a zombie from left 4 dead in smash.
gordan freeman is iconic but i still doubt it. once again the whole normal guy with a guy character archetype isnt really appealing or interesting to me.
doomguy and master chief would get in over him likely because they have more possibilities and the fact they each have iconic armor. doomguy's armor is so iconic another iconic character imitates his armor.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
While I think Micro only has Banjo on the pass.... could you imagine Master Chief getting announced as the final character along with the heavily rumored MCC for Switch.... bruh

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
in terms of Valve characters, i'd only guess that the robots from portal 2 would get a chance or a team fortress 2 character most likely the scout or heavy. i dont think Nintendo is dropping a zombie from left 4 dead in smash.
gordan freeman is iconic but i still doubt it. once again the whole normal guy with a guy character archetype isnt really appealing or interesting to me.
doomguy and master chief would get in over him likely because they have more possibilities and the fact they each have iconic armor. doomguy's armor is so iconic another iconic character imitates his armor.
Ehh let's agree to disagree.
I believe Gordon Freeman is on the same level as those two as an icon due to how the lambda logo got attributed to Half Life and Gordon's HEV suit. Plus there is the crowbar and the gravity gun, which no other video game character is known for using besides Gordon.

Predictabo

Smash Cadet
While I think Micro only has Banjo on the pass.... could you imagine Master Chief getting announced as the final character along with the heavily rumored MCC for Switch.... bruh
It would be the reverse Hero, he is not that popular outside the anglosphere.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Implementing a Portal character into Super Smash Bros. would be incredibly tough since it's a puzzle game that requires a large amount of thinking and doesn't allow you to attack directly. There's also the fact that Portals need to be placed onto a surface, and most stages don't have walls or ceilings.

A Portal stage would be so much fun though.

I think tag team fighter would be pretty interesting. :p

It would be the reverse Hero, he is not that popular outside the anglosphere.
Perhaps that's why they went with Banjo & Kazooie instead. They may have the highest amount of popularity worldwide.

SKX31

Smash Master
Perhaps that's why they went with Banjo & Kazooie instead. They may have the highest amount of popularity worldwide.
Nah, I think the duo was by far the easiest to justify. And a big PR boom - which it turned out to be. People won't question Steve or Master Chief nearly as much with Banjo-Kazooie present and accounted for.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Gordon would be extremley hype. Half Life is as iconic as many series in Smash, and a lot of the sci fi weapons and monsters could lend to a great moveset. The crobar, gravity gun, gauss cannon, snarks, and barnacles (using them like in Opposing Force) could all make for a very fun and unique moveset. For stages, they could go for Black Mesa, Xen, Ravenholm, or even the Citadel for good options. Spirits can be all of the aliens, and Mii costumes can include combine overwatch armor, HEV suit, Barneys guard uniform and a headcrab hat. Remixes can include Hazardous Environments (the song that plays when every valve game boots up), Nuclear Mission Jam and Path of the Borealis. I dont see it happening this dlc pack, but if we got a second pack Id consider him (and a valve character in general) much more likely.

And also, Nintnedo tried to hire Valve to develop a half life game for switch a few years back. Nothing came of it (besides a cancelled Half Life RTS) but it goes to show Nintendo KNOWS how big a deal this series is.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
So I know it's foolish to think there is some pattern to the DLC but I've been think about how all the DLC characters and stages revealed so far are very thematically and different and different in tone. So perhaps the last two will also be very different from what we've gotten so far.

That's why I'm thinking we might get someone more sci-fi themed eventually. Or perhaps someone that is not an action hero like Villager.

blackghost

Smash Champion
So I know it's foolish to think there is some pattern to the DLC but I've been think about how all the DLC characters and stages revealed so far are very thematically and different and different in tone. So perhaps the last two will also be very different from what we've gotten so far.

That's why I'm thinking we might get someone more sci-fi themed eventually. Or perhaps someone that is not an action hero like Villager.
i think the long term plan is to cover every genre they can within smash. only notable missing is a 1stperson shooter or a playable survival horror. fatal frame is in the game but thats the only horror game represented i think. Unless i missed a spirit from eternal darkness.

excite bike even technically covers sports/racing.

i dont think sakurai would limit himself to thinking of smash dlc as a checkbox list. I think he will add whatever he wants. I hope he does otherwise my picks have no chance. The question is whether the top people in charge view the smash dlc as a checklist.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Awww ****!

You know Bub and Bob are coming to Smash now! That trailer even shows them as toys being brought to life!

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I fully believe that they're trying to have multiple genres, aesthetics, and demographics represented. It just makes a lot of sense to me that the next character will be from something like Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, Story of Seasons, Katamari, etc - something totally new and more "casual".

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I’d be down for Gordon Freeman. I really want an FPS character in general. It’s an unrepped genre with a lot of potential.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I fully believe that they're trying to have multiple genres, aesthetics, and demographics represented. It just makes a lot of sense to me that the next character will be from something like Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, Story of Seasons, Katamari, etc - something totally new and more "casual".
They don't have to have a checklist of what to include.

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
Idk about that. We already have two anime JRPG protags in the Fighter Pass, and I don't think they really please two different demographics.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
They don't have to have a checklist of what to include.
I'm not saying they do. But I am saying that, on a personal level, something with a different aesthetic from what we have would be a positive addition both as a fan of those genres and aesthetic styles and just for variety and audience's sake.

Idk about that. We already have two anime JRPG protags in the Fighter Pass, and I don't think they really please two different demographics.
Joker and Hero appeal to two completely different demographics despite both being from JRPGs. Dragon Quest is of course a massive get for Japan but also is a very classic series - especially if you consider that Erdrick (the most "retro" of the heroes) was so prominently featured. Joker was for a newer crowd, and specifically to get those who may have played Persona 5 on PS4 to look into Smash.

Furthermore, both bring different styles from each other into Smash with Toriyama for Hero and more flash and style for Joker.

Combine that with Nintendo talking about wanting to get new demographics to try Smash in their investor's meetings and **** just makes sense. I'm not trying to pretend it's gospel, just that it follows what we know so far.

D

Deleted member

I'll keep my stance on the last two being from Capcom and Namco. One of the picks being relatively well known and the other one a bit more obscure.

I feel next one is one of the big picks.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Honestly there's no real way of knowing who the last two are. It could be anyone. My only bets are that they will third-party and they will be atleast somewhat popular characters or come from a series that is known worldwide.

If there is a game that is barely known is Japan or in the West I doubt they will make it in. Dragon Quest isn't that popular in the West but most gamers have atleast heard of it.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I’m going all in on Arle being one of the final 2 fighters, she is guaranteed.
The question now is who the last one will be. I’m teetering between Doomguy, Lloyd, or FE House character.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I’m going all in on Arle being one of the final 2 fighters, she is guaranteed.
The question now is who the last one will be. I’m teetering between Doomguy, Lloyd, or FE House character.
I know Arle seems unlikely since she's Sega and so is Joker but I can't lie, I'd be SUPER happy. Her support thread is the reason I came back to the forum.

blackghost

Smash Champion
persona and dragon quest are about as far from each other as need for speed and forza in terms of target audience.

also saying the dragon quest isnt well known in the west is really really misleading. dragon quest is SE second all time seller and has sold at a rate higher than final fantasy and outsold tomb raider. But mathematically it doesnt add up for DQ to lack popularity in the west when all the games that have sales numbers like it do. I think we had a very vocal group of internet presence mislead us.

also im surprised to not see laura croft mentioned more in these 3rd party lists. Is she not the biggest character left in terms of recognition across the industry not in the game? not to mention you can make her an in game model using zss.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/474034736

Banjo
Release September 25th

- RARE Mii Costumes
- Minecraft Mii Costumes (Steve outfit and creeper head)
- B-K Spirits
- Boss Rush with boss additions? (it can be moved to the 4th)
- Online tourney improvement (you can create your own tourneys)
- Home Run Bat Contest
-------------------------------------------------------------
'soldier' 4th
In development right now
Show: Nintendo Direct in September. (Between 10th and 20th)
Release: 20th November.

- ??? Mii Costumes
- Break the Targets (Sadly is like Brawl, but just three stages, not 5 like Brawl)
- Target Blast (yes, this is from Smash 4)
- Boss Rush with Boss additions? (it can be with Banjo)
'spin' 5th
Just planned and a few stuff like model and so
Show: November
Release: January

- WoL extension (including the new bosses, and some of the spirits you don't see in the original WoL)
- New cinematics, but just a few, is not the big deal
- Very Hard mode
'star' Extra Character
Just planned
Show: TBA (Maybe in the Game Awards like Joker, i don't know yet, but it will be before the 5th DLC release)
Release: TBA

- NO Stage
- Just 2 songs
- NO spirits
- NO modes
- NO mii costumes
Extra stage from Minecraft
In development
Show: September (maybe in the direct or maybe in the Banjo release trailer)
Release: At some point of October
THIS IS NOT PART OF FIGHTER PASS. You will need to use your credit card again..
------------------------------------------------------------
New (and old) Bosses:

Porky (Brawl)
Gruntylda (New)
'doctor' (New) (this is from the 5th DLC)
Duon (Brawl)
Master Core (Smash 4) (the Master Fortress transformation was cutted)
Sakurai itself!..haha just kidding, there will be another boss but it's not decided yet who will be, but it's from Nintendo.

See ya!

Another 4chan rumor to pass the time.

Unfortunately it's incredibly fake IMO.

1. He slipped up majorly when he said that Minecraft will be an extra stage considering the extra stage slot is to allow Custom stages to be in Random and I doubt there will be a Season 2 pass so there's not going to be an arrow for more stages.

2. The release dates he picked are definitely based on amiibo release theory so those are safe guesses. So even if we get a announcement from Nintendo a few days before Banjo's video on the 24th it won't make this rumor true.

3. Joker is the only one to actually have a codename. Piranha and Hero have their actual names in the data so Joker is likely the exception.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here's a question. What character do you guys think would be the most mechanically interesting to play?

also im surprised to not see laura croft mentioned more in these 3rd party lists. Is she not the biggest character left in terms of recognition across the industry not in the game? not to mention you can make her an in game model using zss.
She's owned by SquareEnix so most take that as a disconfirmation. I'd be all for her inclusion though.

I really want an FPS character in general. It’s an unrepped genre with a lot of potential.
:ultinkling:: Am I a joke to you?

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

Banjo
Release September 25th

- RARE Mii Costumes
- B-K Spirits
- Home Run Bat Contest
'soldier' 4th
In development right now

- ??? Mii Costumes
- Break the Targets (Sadly is like Brawl, but just three stages, not 5 like Brawl)
'spin' 5th

- WoL extension (including the new bosses, and some of the spirits you don't see in the original WoL)
- Very Hard mode
'star' Extra Character
Just planned
Show: TBA (Maybe in the Game Awards like Joker, i don't know yet, but it will be before the 5th DLC release)

- NO Stage
- Just 2 songs
- NO spirits
- NO modes
- NO mii costumes
In development
New (and old) Bosses:

Porky (Brawl)
Gruntylda (New)
Duon (Brawl)
Sakurai itself!..haha just kidding, there will be another boss but it's not decided yet who will be, but it's from Nintendo.

See ya!
>spin
I can't believe Gyro Zeppeli is going to be the final DLC character. I thought Joker would be the closest we got to a Jojo character, but I guess I'm wrong :p

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Pretending for a second that the rumour is somehow real:

Who I want it to be: Bandana Dee(soldier) and Dixie Kong(spin) with Captain Toad as bonus(Star)
Who I want it to be(Third Party): Chris Redfield(soldier) and Crash Bandicoot(spin) with Jill Valentine as bonus(Star)
Who it's likely to be: Doomguy(soldier), Crash Bandicoot(spin, seriously I can't think who else this is) with Geno as bonus(Star)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Pretending for a second that the rumour is somehow real:

Who I want it to be: Bandana Dee(soldier) and Dixie Kong(spin) with Captain Toad as bonus(Star)
Who I want it to be(Third Party): Chris Redfield(soldier) and Crash Bandicoot(spin) with Jill Valentine as bonus(Star)
Who it's likely to be: Doomguy(soldier), Crash Bandicoot(spin, seriously I can't think who else this is) with Geno as bonus(Star)
I’ll give it a shot too (I know it’s fake):

Want: Elma (Soldier), Crash (Spin, I mean it’s obvious so not much choice here) and Kasumi Yoshizawa (Star; since the new P5R arc is speculated to revolve around wishes this would be a play on “wishing upon a star”) alternatively Bandana Dee could also be Star because Star Allies
Expect: Doom Slayer (Soldier), Crash (Spin), Geno (Star)

D

Deleted member

Banjo
Release September 25th

- RARE Mii Costumes
- B-K Spirits
- Home Run Bat Contest
'soldier' 4th
In development right now

- ??? Mii Costumes
'spin' 5th

- Very Hard mode
'star' Extra Character
Just planned

- NO Stage
- Just 2 songs
- NO spirits
- NO modes
- NO mii costumes
In development
New (and old) Bosses:

Porky (Brawl)
Gruntylda (New)
Duon (Brawl)

See ya!
Oh boy well this will look fun to spe-

Well nvm then.

Anyways, music sure doesn't get talked too often. I don't suppose most of you consider music from a franchise is more important than the character, but What franchise(s) do you want to see in Smash mainly for its music?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Anyways, music sure doesn't get talked too often. I don't suppose most of you consider music from a franchise is more important than the character, but What franchise(s) do you want to see in Smash mainly for its music?
Music is a big part on why I want Touhou in Smash.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

Banjo
Release September 25th

- RARE Mii Costumes
- B-K Spirits
- Home Run Bat Contest
'soldier' 4th
In development right now

- ??? Mii Costumes
'spin' 5th

- Very Hard mode
'star' Extra Character
Just planned

- NO Stage
- Just 2 songs
- NO spirits
- NO modes
- NO mii costumes
In development
New (and old) Bosses:

Porky (Brawl)
Gruntylda (New)
Duon (Brawl)

See ya!

1. He slipped up majorly when he said that Minecraft will be an extra stage considering the extra stage slot is to allow Custom stages to be in Random and I doubt there will be a Season 2 pass so there's not going to be an arrow for more stages.

2. The release dates he picked are definitely based on amiibo release theory so those are safe guesses. So even if we get a announcement from Nintendo a few days before Banjo's video on the 24th it won't make this rumor true.

3. Joker is the only one to actually have a codename. Piranha and Hero have their actual names in the data so Joker is likely the exception.
Watch Soldier end up being the Call of Duty soldier, with each alt referencing a different call of duty game ala Hero.

:ultinkling:: Am I a joke to you?
Splatoon isn’t a FPS

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Easy, Undertale. Ultimate's soundtrack is already fantastic, but Undertale songs would just make it perfect for me

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Never trust a leak that is super detailed and knows a bunch of specific dates.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh boy well this will look fun to spe-

Well nvm then.

Admittedly, while my primary reason for wanting The World Ends With You content is because it’s one of my favorite DS games ever...

Yeah. Music is #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom