• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
We got an event tourney based around characters...without projectiles. Rock got ****-a-doodle-doo'd.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I haven’t played Hollow Knight yet (it’s in my backlog), but that’s a pretty cool moveset. I’ve had him in my “Surprise underdog” list for a while.

Nintendo really seems to like that game, they’ve promoted it quite a bit. They’re also using Silk Song as one of their major upcoming third party titles alongside the likes of Doom: Eternal. Hollow Knight is also a huge hit with 3 million+ sales; that’s big for any game, let alone an indie.

I feel like if they do get an indie character, then he has a really good shot. I’d say he’s up there with Quote & Reimu as the most likely indie. But he has relevancy on his side that Quote doesn’t have & Reimu sort of has.

I actually included him on this hypothetical roster I made today with some friends that’s based on some attributes the characters in the first pass had.

:ultjoker: - New character from a critically acclaimed hit that released in the past 5 years

:ulthero: - Character from an iconic series with 50 mil+ sales

:ultbanjokazooie: - Character that’s been highly requested by the Smash community since atleast the Smash ballot

:ult_terry: - Character from a smaller but beloved series

:ultbylethf: - A Switch era character

I think that’d be a surprising, but pleasing group of characters. You’d have one mega character that’d make average gamers excited, a highly discussed Smash community favorite & a new Nintendo favorite. There’s also two characters that aren’t discussed as often, since there’s a growing group of people who want smaller/unexpected characters.
This is pretty good list NGL

I hope you don't mind if I turned it into a lil template

New character from a critically acclaimed hit that released in the past 5 years - Tracer or 2B

Character from an iconic series with 50 mil+ sales - Steve

Character that’s been highly requested by the Smash community since at least the Smash ballot - Crash Bandicoot

Character from a smaller but beloved series - Estelle Bright

A Switch era character - Inteleon

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

kylexv

Smash Master
We got an event tourney based around characters...without projectiles. Rock got ****-a-doodle-doo'd.
Nintendo got so tired of projectile-spamming Links and Samuses online that they just straight up banned anyone with a projectile.
Lol

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

New character from a critically acclaimed hit that released in the past 5 years - Tracer or 2B

Character that’s been highly requested by the Smash community since at least the Smash ballot - Crash Bandicoot

New character from a critically acclaimed hit that released in the past 5 years - Dante

Character from an iconic series with 50 mil+ sales - Master Chief

Character that's been highly requested by the Smash Community since at least the Smash Ballot - Geno

Character from a smaller but beloved series - Travis Touchdown

A Switch era Character - Rex

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace

Yo, DKC2 is on Switch.

Pretty hype.
Hmm, maybe Earthbound will get in there one day. DKC3 is inevitable at this point, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Anyway, PICROSS!? :mask:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Yo, DKC2 is on Switch.

Pretty hype.
Aww.... Japan got Fire Emblem 3 but we didn't.

Instead, we got the game that the AVGN called an expletive in his Christmas review.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I guess expecting them to translate NES/SNES games only to release them on the NSO is, well, absurd, but it would be nice to get the FE games as well.

Also. If FE4 isn't eventually added, Genealogy Remake CONFIRMED. Source: me.
You joke, but I've seen Jugdral mentioned as one of the possible games getting remade, alongside Elibe or Tellius. Problem is, these are just rumors, so who really knows which is which...

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

I was hoping others would tbh lol. Good list btw, I’d be pretty happy with that.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I guess we could take this as this weeks announcement, given the past pattern of announcing something every week. Still think CP7 is at the end of the month.

Oh, Nintendo Dream's doing the reveal tomorrow, right? We should keep our eyes peeled for that.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Now that I think about it. What if the Nintendo Dream game is the Monster Hunter one? I don't think so, it would be strange for them to announce such game that way, but I just thought about it now.

You joke, but I've seen Jugdral mentioned as one of the possible games getting remade, alongside Elibe or Tellius. Problem is, these are just rumors, so who really knows which is which...
Yeah. What it seems pretty much guarantee is that a FE remake is coming. About which one, I don't think there's definitive evidence on which. Some have said FE6/7 but I think FE4 or FE10 are more likely. Not because there's a rumor or a leak, it's more because of multiple factors, banners from Fire Emblem Heroes, etc.
Personally I'm hoping for a FE4 remake. I mean, the original game never came out outside of Japan, just like Fire Emblem 2 until Shadows of Valentia happened. I also think FE4 would benefit more from a remake treatment than Path of Radiance.

Also because Genealogy is in my opinion one of the best games in the series, top 3 at least, with a great cast, a fantastic soundtrack and probably the best plot in the franchise. It would need some changes, maybe making the maps a bit smaller and of course, QoL additions. I think it's a game that deserves another chance to shine, now that the series is in a good position.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think you've much chance that old text-heavy genres like RPGs get localized for services like the VC or NSO (unless they were translated previously and left unreleased like Mother 1). I think for them it's remake or bust.

And even some of those remakes may still not make it over here. Like I'm not holding my breath on the Famicom Detective Club remake.

KillerCage

Smash Master

New character from a critically acclaimed hit that released in the past 5 years - The Knight

Character from an iconic series with 50 mil+ sales - Master Chief

Character that’s been highly requested by the Smash community since at least the Smash ballot - Phoenix Wright

Character from a smaller but beloved series - Arle Nadja

A Switch era character - Rex & Pyra

zumaddy

Smash Ace
If anyone wants to play an english patched version of the remake of FE3, it's at http://www.heroesofshadow.net/ (they don't support roms/piracy, they just offer the english translation patch). It does have quite a few differences from the original, to keep in mind.

DKC2 on Switch is sick. Dixie sure has been getting attention from Nintendo this year.... interesting.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Opossum Opossum

How hard would translating FE1 and FE3 be?
Definitely more than NoA would be willing to do, especially if they couldn't even bother to translate Joy Mech Fight which has significantly less text.

Especially because Mystery of the Emblem would essentially be two games in one, since it contains both books of the Archanea saga. Like, I'd love for them to just translate FE3 since FE12 never came out outside of Japan. But I'm never holding my breath for it.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Cue the Punch Out theme Wii style

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
And even some of those remakes may still not make it over here. Like I'm not holding my breath on the Famicom Detective Club remake.
Including the remake for Fire Emblem 3, which also happens to be I believe the only main series FE game after the series was localized with the seventh game to not be brought over here for some reason.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Between both the 3D All Stars Collection and the nature of Japanese titles for Switch online, I think its clarified something in terms of priorities.

If its a new/er game, Nintendo will work damn hard to make sure its a quality release that feels polished, intuitive, and technically sound.

If its an old game? Well, tough break you're gonna play it as is, lack of update or even basic localization be damned.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Including the remake for Fire Emblem 3, which also happens to be I believe the only main series FE game after the series was localized with the seventh game to not be brought over here for some reason.
Probably the poor sales of Shadow Dragon. This era was before Awakening brought new life into the series; sales were declining.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Between both the 3D All Stars Collection and the nature of Japanese titles for Switch online, I think its clarified something in terms of priorities.

If its a new/er game, Nintendo will work damn hard to make sure its a quality release that feels polished, intuitive, and technically sound.

If its an old game? Well, tough break you're gonna play it as is, lack of update or even basic localization be damned.
PMD DX was a remake of an older game, and that was a pretty big overhaul.

Shroob

Sup?
Probably the poor sales of Shadow Dragon. This era was before Awakening brought new life into the series; sales were declining.
I dunno if this is considered a hot take in the Fire Emblem community but.... god, I hated Shadow Dragon.

It wasn't 'bad' per se, but it just felt bad to play. The artstyle was hella ugly and all the actual 'new' content was basically locked behind either being garbage at the game or forcing you to sacrifice units to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom