• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
anyway it's tuesday today

keep an eye out for NEW spirits - OR no event/tournament at all. could mean something's on the way

if it's new spirits i hope they're interesting at least, and NOT from a series i want...
Actually, we had a Spirit Event last week. We might be getting a tournament this week.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Actually, we had a Spirit Event last week. We might be getting a tournament this week.
have they ever skipped a tournament on a week there was supposed to be one? ergo, nothing on the week of what would normally be a tourney?

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Would any of you guys prefer Wario's default costume be his yellow shirt and purple overalls, or do you prefer the biker jacket he has on from WarioWare? I've always been curious about what people thought of this.
Biker Wario of course! It’s way cooler and less generic feeling. Gives him more than just “yellow Mario”

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean...up until Sw/Sh, everyone was shoehorned into every game.
I meant as some sort of acquisition event like with the Hoopa Dimentions, Ultra Wormholes, and whatever they're doing in the Crown Tundra.

Dang, surprised to see that British thing here.
It's a meme in America too. Trust me.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Dang, surprised to see that British thing here.
Hotel Trivago is British? I'm in America and I see adds for it from time to time.
Since it’s Undertale’s 5 year anniversary, I’ve been thinking about more Undertale representation in Smash. It probably won’t happen but maybe we could get a Fighter?

The reveal of FP2 having 6 characters always struck me as odd since they made a big deal out of the 6th slot. It was probably just a fun way to show there’ll be more in FP2 than FP1.

Buuuut what if it’s because the 6th character is someone they decided on at the last moment? Perhaps they were all set on doing another 5 characters until they saw how well Sans sold & went to Toby Fox to get a full Undertale character in Smash?

It’s not likely & they probably always intended on an additional 6 characters. But it’s still a fun idea to think about. Undertale is one of my favorite games ever & I’d love to see it have a bigger role in Smash.
I've had this exact thought. I doubt it's true, but I wish it was.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
anyway it's tuesday today

keep an eye out for NEW spirits - OR no event/tournament at all. could mean something's on the way

if it's new spirits i hope they're interesting at least, and NOT from a series i want...
I feel you. I really like when they add new spirits to Ultimate, but at the same time, I don't want them to add spirits from games that I'd like to see getting a playable character. I don't want a repeat of Astral Chain or Resident Evil getting spirited. Seriously, I remember being shocked for an instant when I saw the RE spirits. It was super unexpected to me.

The fun part is that in a way, spirit events announcements are exciting, you can end losing or winning and almost any franchise is fair game for spirits lol

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I feel you. I really like when they add new spirits to Ultimate, but at the same time, I don't want them to add spirits from games that I'd like to see getting a playable character. I don't want a repeat of Astral Chain or Resident Evil getting spirited. Seriously, I remember being shocked for an instant when I saw the RE spirits. It was super unexpected to me.

The fun part is that in a way, spirit events announcements are exciting, you can end losing or winning and almost any franchise is fair game for spirits lol
i'd be mourning if TWEWY had a spirit event... watch as i jinx it

but i feel like there are some (mostly first party) games that are no brainers for events. TMS FE Encore (FR!!! Tsubasa's the only Spirit from that game, WHERE'S ITSUKI?!), Xenoblade DE's new epilogue (Kino and Nene, along with Shulk and Melia's FD artwork), Luigi's Mansion 3 (sorry Gooigi fam), and while it's an indie, Undertale

in fact, calling it. UNDERTALE SPIRIT EVENT TONIGHT FOR THE 5TH ANNIVERSARY please...yes i know it's more likely to be a tourney...

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Next year is Gamecube 20th anniversary and Wii 15th anniversary, so I think that Nintendo will star selling more emulation ‘plus’ Gamecube and Wii games (same game with Full HD, 16:9 and buttons remaped for Switch, in Wii games case, motion controls re-design, like Sunshine or Galaxy) for a $20 price. Maybe they can also add online features to some Gamecube games (like Melee ;) )

Nintendo has around 80-90 Gamecube/Wii published games.

Just think of portable versions of Luigis Mansion, Smash Melee/Brawl, Mario Sunshine/Galaxy/Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat/Country Returns, Mario Power Tennis/Golf/Strikers (Charged), Metroid Prime 1/2/3, F-Zero GX, Eternal Darkness, Custom Robo, Baten Kaitos, Batallion Wars 1/2, Chibi Robo, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart Double Dash/Wii, Punch Out, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Pikmin 1/2, Rhythm Heaven Megamix, Wario Ware Smooth Moves, Kirby Air Ride/Epic Yarn/Return to Dream Land, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn, Wii Sports/Resort/Play/Party...

It will be good fill up for some franchises before they release their next game on Switch next system.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Next year is Gamecube 20th anniversary and Wii 15th anniversary, so I think that Nintendo will star selling more emulation ‘plus’ Gamecube and Wii games (same game with Full HD, 16:9 and buttons remaped for Switch, in Wii games case, motion controls re-design, like Sunshine or Galaxy) for a $20 price. Maybe they can also add online features to some Gamecube games (like Melee ;) )

Nintendo has around 80-90 Gamecube/Wii published games.

Just think of portable versions of Luigis Mansion, Smash Melee/Brawl, Mario Sunshine/Galaxy/Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat/Country Returns, Mario Power Tennis/Golf/Strikers (Charged), Metroid Prime 1/2/3, F-Zero GX, Eternal Darkness, Custom Robo, Baten Kaitos, Batallion Wars 1/2, Chibi Robo, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart Double Dash/Wii, Punch Out, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Pikmin 1/2, Rhythm Heaven Megamix, Wario Ware Smooth Moves, Kirby Air Ride/Epic Yarn/Return to Dream Land, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn, Wii Sports/Resort/Play/Party...

It will be good fill up for some franchises before they release their next game on Switch next system.
literally all I need is F-Zero GX, TTYD, Eternal Darkness, SPM, Epic Yarn, RtDL, MP Trilogy, both BK games, the Ike FE Games (I call it that cuz im lazy), and Luigi's Mansion and I'm set. also Sunshine after the 3D All Stars is put in the Vault(TM)

or no, LM1 and KEY should have the 3DS versions ported to Switch, minus the dual screen functionality. also, WWHD and TPHD for Switch when... it better not be in a limited time Zelda 35th collection, assuming it's limited time

7NATOR

Smash Master
Question

If you guys were to rate on a Scale of 1-10, how much Influence Sakurai has on Base roster, and DLC, and How much Influence Nintendo has on Base roster, and DLC, what would it be

(Example: 7/3 Scale with Sakurai being the 7 for Base roster)

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Question

If you guys were to rate on a Scale of 1-10, how much Influence Sakurai has on Base roster, and DLC, and How much Influence Nintendo has on Base roster, and DLC, what would it be

Sakurai is the first number and Nintendo the second.
Base roster: Probably 9/1. I think that Isabelle might have been a Nintendo choice, but the rest was most likely purely Sakurai. Maybe Pokémon was also lock by Nintendo, but in the end he still decide to choose Incineroar.

Dlc: 4/6: Sakurai said that this time, Nintendo was chosing the characters, but it seems that Sakurai have at least some influences like about Sakurai wanting Hero but being open to Slime for Dragon quest. I think that Nintendo chose the franchsise or the third party developpers, and Sakurai need to choose the character himself, aside probably for Banjo who was 100% locked by Nintendo.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Question

base : 1/9
dlc : 0/10

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Delzethin just released a new video talking about the Knight from Hollow Knight.

Discuss!
Not gonna lie, it's always irked me how the dream nail's always ignored in these types of videos. Also, I'm fine with giving the Vessel an absurd amount of jumps if it can hit an opponent in the air, but that idea becomes absurd once you give it an actual recovery move rather than using Howling Wraiths as an up special.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Not gonna lie, it's always irked me how the dream nail's always ignored in these types of videos. Also, I'm fine with giving the Vessel an absurd amount of jumps if it can hit an opponent in the air, but that idea becomes absurd once you give it an actual recovery move rather than using Howling Wraiths as an up special.
I mean, it's not like the Dream Nail's an actual combat move anyways. It's mostly for easter eggs and awakening bosses. Though, I suppose it could work like a Palutena's Guidance type of thing...

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I mean, it's not like the Dream Nail's an actual combat move anyways. It's mostly for easter eggs and awakening bosses. Though, I suppose it could work like a Palutena's Guidance type of thing...
The dream nail could do damage in Smash. Would also not be as broken as near instant healing would be.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Well, with SM3DAS and HWAOC needing to be promoted there's no need for a Smash reveal right now. And besides, they can add the amiibo compatibility without adding a new fighter.
At the same time, Fighters Pass 2 needs to be promoted as well. The promotion so far has been very uhhh... lackluster to say the least. I imagine the sales for it aren’t that good so far.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Question

This might be controversial but I think base is probably 6/4 Sakurai/Nintendo and DLC is vice versa (with GF/TPC, IS and other devs counting under Nintendo). I think it's a lot more collaborative than the statements we've been given suggest.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Yay, obviously~

Not that he gets much talk, nor does his thread get much activity. Tis life, heh~
I feel like Quest 64 should still have some legacy in gaming history. I want some Quest 64 content in Smash. For one of the only RPG games on the Nintendo 64, it was pretty ambitious and from the little I've played, it's fun!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I feel like Quest 64 should still have some legacy in gaming history. I want some Quest 64 content in Smash. For one of the only RPG games on the Nintendo 64, it was pretty ambitious and from the little I've played, it's fun!
It is indeed fun. Sure, it's a clearly unfinished game(which is why a fan remake is being worked on, and hard mode was made), but it's also about fun, not just "pure polish" alone.

I would love some content. Even if Brian's not playable, it'd be pretty sweet. There's a ton of great music, spirit options, alone. Even Mii costumes. A Brian Mii Swordfighter costume would give us a more classical mage design, something we really don't have. It helps that some of the Swordfighter moves are semi-close to the idea, like a Gale Strike(which isn't too off from Cyclone/Wind Cutter).

I really need to finish the 3rd moveset. Images as well as the leveling up, since the focus is on Elements, unique leveling(akin to Lucario, but on 4 elements), and cycling through each element(as a moveset, akin to Pokemon Trainer, but comparable to Shulk's switching around) for a diverse moveset that heavily represents the games, and another RPG mechanic, leveling up proper. RNG was also kept in mind, as the tilt attacks had status effects that could apply at a percentage chance.

I'd have to be get a bit more detailed to get into the full idea, but Hero only somewhat delved into the coolness of RPG mechanics. Some RNG(which already existed) and a proper Magic Meter are a good start.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Question

Base roster? Like, 9.5/0.5. Most of Ultimate's roster is made up by veterans because of "Everyone is here!", which was a decision seemingly made solely by Sakurai. He actually got some push back on that (particularly from the Dev team, not sure what Nintendo's higher-ups thought), so that already suggests he was calling most of the shots. Even among the vets, a lot of them were chosen based on ballot popularity and who would work in the limited amount of time that had to develop new characters, not who would make the most money if they were put on the box. The only two characters I could see being corporate choices are :ultisabelle: and :ultincineroar:, but even those are somewhat unlikely. Isabelle was most likely chosen because she's an organically popular character that would be an easy semi-clone of Villager. Incineroar, while a Pokemon that TPC really likes to push for some reason, seems to have largely caught Sakurai's eye because he would Smash's wrestler. Plus, if Decidueye could get relatively far in the consideration process while also rarely receiving promotion from TPC, I don't think they had that much sway.

DLC? Gonna go against the grain and say 7/3. I think people really like to downplay how much autonomy Sakurai has in the selection process, often because it helps a character they want (or harms a character they don't want). We know Nintendo gives Sakurai the characters, but we also know he has a veto button and therefore essentially the final say. If Sakurai really doesn't want a character for whatever reason, there's not much stopping him from saying "Sorry, I just don't think they'd be a good fit for Smash". The series is still his baby and we've seen him put his foot down on this type of thing before. Sakurai is the same guy who threatened to cut Pac-Man if he had to use the Ghostly Adventures design and the guy who roasts CERO in the middle of a presentation because they wouldn't let him put Mai in the game, he doesn't seem like the type to just lay down and let corporate interests dictate what happens next. He may not be directly saying "I want X, Y, and Z", but it's clear he's still the guy in the driver's seat.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
I'm seeing no discussion on the Knight.
Are you guys not interested in talking about something new besides Geno?
You think he's better off as a Mii Costume?
:impatientsonic:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Oh yeah the Gamecube is also trending.

Untitled.png

Lol

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Man I am now suddenly craving Geno’s Philly Cheesesteaks

one problem

I DONT LIVE ANYWHERE NEAR PENNSYLVANIA

😭

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Delzethin just released a new video talking about the Knight from Hollow Knight.

Discuss!
I haven’t played Hollow Knight yet (it’s in my backlog), but that’s a pretty cool moveset. I’ve had him in my “Surprise underdog” list for a while.

Nintendo really seems to like that game, they’ve promoted it quite a bit. They’re also using Silk Song as one of their major upcoming third party titles alongside the likes of Doom: Eternal. Hollow Knight is also a huge hit with 3 million+ sales; that’s big for any game, let alone an indie.

I feel like if they do get an indie character, then he has a really good shot. I’d say he’s up there with Quote & Reimu as the most likely indie. But he has relevancy on his side that Quote doesn’t have & Reimu sort of has.

I actually included him on this hypothetical roster I made today with some friends that’s based on some attributes the characters in the first pass had.

:ultjoker: - New character from a critically acclaimed hit that released in the past 5 years

:ulthero: - Character from an iconic series with 50 mil+ sales

:ultbanjokazooie: - Character that’s been highly requested by the Smash community since atleast the Smash ballot

:ult_terry: - Character from a smaller but beloved series

:ultbylethf: - A Switch era character

B7C9A140-DD78-42C0-9D75-9DC53AF4282D.jpeg

I think that’d be a surprising, but pleasing group of characters. You’d have one mega character that’d make average gamers excited, a highly discussed Smash community favorite & a new Nintendo favorite. There’s also two characters that aren’t discussed as often, since there’s a growing group of people who want smaller/unexpected characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom