• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
My initial guess was the Football Manager but that looks nothing like them.
Looks like a anime character... maybe it is maybe it isn’t.
I'm assuming either a Sports game manager or an Idol game manager yet it doesn't look like any I know. Though admittedly, both ideas are kind of hilarious either way just with the mental image alone of them beating up Mario or Link.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Oh by the way guys, How do you guys feel about this 4Chan Poll?

View attachment 284504
I've never seen Armstrong on a poll. He'd be cool, but obviously wouldn't happen when Raiden isn't even in.

How the hell is Battler so high? I mean he'd be neat, but in the rare cases I see people bring up Umineko for Smash, Beatrice is usually the pick.

No idea who Manager is.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Oh by the way guys, How do you guys feel about this 4Chan Poll?

View attachment 284504
I mean it's got most of the characters that everyone is talking about but there some odd picks like Battler and Manager. I kind of treat these lists as a sort of frequency factor like an individual poll is not the best way to judge a characters popularity but you can get a rough idea of a character's popularity by how frequently they appear on polls. If you get what I mean.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
On the topic of Raiden, I do think he's a bit of a darkhorse pic that doesn't get discussed a lot. He's a Konami rep and a Platinum Games rep, both of which have content in Smash already and seem to be fine with working with Sakurai if 30+ songs and a lot of Spirits for Castlevania were any indication. He was also a spirit in the base game, which aren't a problem anymore.

My guess is people just want Dante/Travis more as the M rated hack and slash genre rep.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
On the topic of Raiden, I do think he's a bit of a darkhorse pic that doesn't get discussed a lot. He's a Konami rep and a Platinum Games rep, both of which have content in Smash already and seem to be fine with working with Sakurai if 30+ songs and a lot of Spirits for Castlevania were any indication. He was also a spirit in the base game, which aren't a problem anymore.

My guess is people just want Dante/Travis more as the M rated hack and slash genre rep.
That, and Metal Gear isn't in a very good spot right now. In Smash speculation, the most discussed characters are either relevant at the time, or they're Geno. Still, I think Raiden would be a nice way to cap off the pass, seeing as Snake was the first third-party guest character in Smash. What better way to bookend Metal Gear than with more Metal Gear?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Raiden's a weird case of him not being in Smash beyond a spirit, but his character type of Cyborg Ninja is in as an Assist Trophy via Gray Fox. They're not exactly the same obviously, but it is odd.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Said it once, and I'll say it again: I really don't see us getting another non-clone character from an already represented third party IP. At least for this game.

Maybe if the next game has Eggman and Chun-Li as newcomers, then we can start talking about characters like Raiden.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Reggie already admitted that Sakurai would be made aware of the overwhelming demand for Waluigi back in June 2018.
Reggie also admittedly said that there wouldn’t be any friends codes and how all the DLC would be form new worlds

I thought we promise that Reggie was a people pleaser and a PR speaker, not a reliable voice

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Who hurt you and why would you want a Kirby version of the Pantheon of Hallownest.
Me, and don't lie, it'd be super epic. Just add the ability to make your own boss lineups, and boom: Amazing Kirby game for the hardcore fans.

Honestly, I don't think an official title like this would even ask you to fight all of them in one sitting due to the time investment, but the option would be there. Laughing at those too weak to try it.

Fun fact: this is actually the final tribulation all virtuous souls must undergo before earning their passage into heaven
Seems legit. It's probably also the form of torture used in the underworld too.

So has anyone been able to figure out where Manager is from?
My naive little mind thought I could just look it up, but then reality struck; There's no way I could sift through that much adware to find the specific game in question.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
For the sake of sparking discussion and expanding our horizons, are there any character you keep hearing about but have no idea what they do and how they would play?

For me, I've been wondering what Neku could do. I think once I though he hand a spear, but then I realized I had no idea where that came from, so basically I have no idea about what he does beyond Pins and being a a psychic teen, and I'm pretty sure those psychic powers don't include P K F I R E (I hope)

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
(In fact, I hope after Ultimate DLC is done, he will start a new project. 'cuz while he is in a Smash mood now, it's clear it does limit him to a extend, because of fan expectations & legacy stuff)
I feel the same. He's been working on Smash and nothing else as far as we know for years upon years. I'd like to see him make some sort of game before the next Smash (this is assuming he will still be involved with the next Smash game). Ultimate is successful enough to let Smash chill for a few years once its DLC wraps up

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
So this is interesting, but Pikmin 3 is back on the Wii U eShop. Seems like the backlash did reach Nintendo.
Gives me a little hope for the Mario collection.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Finally, a counterpick against WiFi Sonics with his "NO RUNNING IN MY LOBBY" move

For the sake of sparking discussion and expanding our horizons, are there any character you keep hearing about but have no idea what they do and how they would play?

For me, I've been wondering what Neku could do. I think once I though he hand a spear, but then I realized I had no idea where that came from, so basically I have no idea about what he does beyond Pins and being a a psychic teen, and I'm pretty sure those psychic powers don't include P K F I R E (I hope)
Neku is interesting because there's so much material they could pull from for a moveset. As you mentioned he has pins that let him use psychic powers, but if I remember correctly there are 300ish of them, and each one has its own touch screen gesture and attack. There are certainly quite a few that overlap (e.g. a bunch of ones where you tap to shoot an energy bullet, or swipe an enemy to slash them), but that still leaves a TON of variety. He can create fire on the stage, make icicles rise up out of the ground, launch energy bullets, bubbles, and boomerangs, lift up objects with psychokinesis, use a charge dash, shoot lightning, make barbed wire reach across the arena, and so on. TWEWY is also built around a partner mechanic where Neku teams up with another Player in battles, so they could draw from that (maybe Shiki could pop in for a bit and Mr. Mew could latch onto the opponent and scratch them). He's one of my most wanteds not just because I'm a big TWEWY fan, but also because he has near unlimited moveset potential.

For me, a character like that would be either of the Sakuras from Sakura Wars. I've seen screenshots of some cutscenes, I know she uses a sword, the games have some theater element to them (I think?), and there's something about robots? Beyond that I'm completely in the dark.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So this is interesting, but Pikmin 3 is back on the Wii U eShop. Seems like the backlash did reach Nintendo.
Gives me a little hope for the Mario collection.
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they rereleased the Mario Collection. They did something similar with the Mini NES, right? I know it's scummy, but it's better than the alternative.

D

Deleted member

Having never played the game he’s from(and considering his design) I’ve always been struck by thinking “how would Geno play?”

He doesn’t exactly strike me as a character that would do well with any one moveset. He feels like a blank slate character really(I have to stress I’ve never played his game so I’m only going off of his design) with no one thing to build off of.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
(French Narrator from Spongebob): 1 Year Later...

5d0001d26fc920285f11bd62.jpeg.jpg

What else can I say that hasn't already been said countless times before?

Even to this day it's still unreal to have them in Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Like it shouldn't be legally possible for them to crossover in anything official from Nintendo as their ties were (Apparently) severed and swept under the rug nearly 20 years ago as they are officially 1st Party Xbox characters under Microsoft.

...And yet here they are.

Having them appear in a trailer with fellow Rareware characters in DK, Diddy Kong and King K. Rool like many have wanted, Seeing Microsoft in the title screen, Having the announcer announce their names on the fighter select screen, Having Spiral Mountain as their home stage to fight in. Having hear tracks and remixes including one from Grant Kirkhope himself and Having Banjo-Kazooie fight with fellow Nintendo All-Stars in Mario, Donkey Kong and Pikachu in each of their own home turf for me just feels so damn right and natural.

Banjo-Kazooie's long and difficult road to Smash that started out as an "All-Star" duo who seemed like a inevitable candidate that could have been there from the beginning on Smash 64 and only seemed like a matter of time after establishing themselves even further in Banjo-Tooie to join Melee or even Brawl, But were robbed of their chance as it was seen as good as dead the second Microsoft bought out Rare, But it was the ultimate "Underdog Story" that was 20 years in the making that made it even that much more sweeter and to me personally it was hands down, absolutely the greatest character reveal in Super Smash Bros history.

While we no longer have to speculate if Banjo-Kazooie will make it into Smash again, The good news is that we have yet to still see the inevitable positive effects of all this, Whether it's a Rare Replay Switch port, XBLA eShop ports, Remasters or a Reboot, Joining Smash was the adrenaline shot that this franchise needed to bring it back from the dead and based on the reception of their Smash debut, It's only a matter of time before they come out of hibernation and are back for good.

Special Thanks: Nintendo/Smash Team/Sakurai and Microsoft/Rare/Phil Spencer

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

(French Narrator from Spongebob): 1 Year Later...

5d0001d26fc920285f11bd62.jpeg.jpg

What else can I say that hasn't already been said countless times before?

Even to this day it's still unreal to have them in Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Like it shouldn't be legally possible for them to crossover in anything official from Nintendo as their ties were (Apparently) severed and swept under the rug nearly 20 years ago as they are officially 1st Party Xbox characters under Microsoft...

And yet here they are.

Having them appear in a trailer with fellow Rareware characters in DK, Diddy Kong and King K. Rool like many have wanted, Seeing Microsoft in the title screen, Having the announcer announce their names on the fighter select screen, Having Spiral Mountain as their home stage to fight in. Having hear tracks and remixes including one from Grant Kirkhope himself and Having Banjo-Kazooie fight with fellow Nintendo All-Stars in Mario, Donkey Kong and Pikachu in each of their own home turf for me just feels so damn right and natural.

Banjo-Kazooie's long and difficult road to Smash that started out as an "All-Star" duo who seemed like a inevitable candidate that could have been in the beginning on the N64 and seemed only like a matter of time after they established themselves even further for them to join Melee or even Brawl, But were robbed of their chance as it was seen as good as dead the second Microsoft bought out Rare, But it was the ultimate "Underdog Story" that was 20 years in the making that made it even that much more sweeter and to me personally it was hands down, absolutely the greatest character reveal in Super Smash Bros history.

While we no longer have to speculate if Banjo-Kazooie will make it into Smash anymore, The good news is that we have yet to still see the inevitable positive effects of all this, Whether it's a Rare Replay Switch port, XBLA eShop ports, Remasters or a Reboot, Joining Smash was the adrenaline shot that this franchise needed to bring it back from the dead and based on the reception of their Smash debut, It's only a matter of time before they come out of hibernation and are back for good.

Special Thanks: Nintendo/Smash Team/Sakurai and Microsoft/Rare/Phil Spencer
I still remember sitting down with my little brother on that day... watching the trailer start... and getting estatic as lo and behold a fan favorite had finally made it in, even if I didn’t necessarily care for him as a character. Man the good memories....

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

This made me realize I have no idea what Arle actually does. As an American, I've played Puyo Puyo, yet I haven't played Puyo Puyo. Mean Bean and Puzzle League, y'know? And in those games the characters sit on the side, and either one gets power-ups to drop on the other. So okay, Arle could place blocks or... Puyos? I don't even know if the little Slime-looking dudes you line up are called Puyos or what, lol. But what could Arle do outside of that? Does she take more active roles in modern Puyo Puyo games to where we could see a moveset form? I do think they could create a moveset for her, I just don't know what could be taken from her games aside from blocks.
Having never played the game he’s from(and considering his design) I’ve always been struck by thinking “how would Geno play?”

He doesn’t exactly strike me as a character that would do well with any one moveset. He feels like a blank slate character really(I have to stress I’ve never played his game so I’m only going off of his design) with no one thing to build off of.
Being a wooden doll, he would be fast and lightweight. He uses magic and pellets to shoot projectiles. He can even transform himself into a cannon, which could make for a groovy forward smash or final smash. He's a star spirit possessing a wooden doll, so you can think Rosalina and Luma in terms of the visual effects he'd have. He'd be like a faster Mega Man, while also being very distinct from Mega Man. But a very interesting mechanic he would likely have is timed hits. They'd have to be very careful how they balance such a thing, but in SMRPG, you do more damage/do a second attack immediately if you time your button presses right. There are ways they could translate this to Smash. Maybe Geno usually kills quite late, but can kill earlier if you time your button press. Maybe his damage output is a little below average, but can be above average with the right timing. Maybe his combo game is meh but becomes good if you time your inputs. Maybe even a mixture of these. I think it would make for a very technical but very unique character!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’m really hoping we finally get at least a tease for a reveal soon... feels like it’s been a long time since Min Min dropped and Nintendo just won’t show the character for whatever internal reason they have.

7NATOR

Smash Master
This made me realize I have no idea what Arle actually does. As an American, I've played Puyo Puyo, yet I haven't played Puyo Puyo. Mean Bean and Puzzle League, y'know? And in those games the characters sit on the side, and either one gets power-ups to drop on the other. So okay, Arle could place blocks or... Puyos? I don't even know if the little Slime-looking dudes you line up are called Puyos or what, lol. But what could Arle do outside of that? Does she take more active roles in modern Puyo Puyo games to where we could see a moveset form? I do think they could create a moveset for her, I just don't know what could be taken from her games aside from blocks.
Her first appearance was actually in an RPG, before Puyo Puyo existed. in those game she had Spells and magic and stuff, so she has material beyond moving blocks. I guess because Puyo Puyo is more known, her gimmick if she got in would be more based of setting down blocks and stuff

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I’m really hoping we finally get at least a tease for a reveal soon... feels like it’s been a long time since Min Min dropped and Nintendo just won’t show the character for whatever internal reason they have.
We'll probably get CP7 either this month or next month. I can't see them waiting too long.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Being a wooden doll, he would be fast and lightweight. He uses magic and pellets to shoot projectiles. He can even transform himself into a cannon, which could make for a groovy forward smash or final smash. He's a star spirit possessing a wooden doll, so you can think Rosalina and Luma in terms of the visual effects he'd have. He'd be like a faster Mega Man, while also being very distinct from Mega Man. But a very interesting mechanic he would likely have is timed hits. They'd have to be very careful how they balance such a thing, but in SMRPG, you do more damage/do a second attack immediately if you time your button presses right. There are ways they could translate this to Smash. Maybe Geno usually kills quite late, but can kill earlier if you time your button press. Maybe his damage output is a little below average, but can be above average with the right timing. Maybe his combo game is meh but becomes good if you time your inputs. Maybe even a mixture of these. I think it would make for a very technical but very unique character!
The nice thing about Geno being from an RPG is that there's stats to work with; he's the fastest character but is a bit of Glass Canon who takes physical hits pretty bad. You can also generally play off him being a long distance fighter that isn't as effective when close up. Incorporate a possible boost for offense or defense via a move, and you've basically got him.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Her first appearance was actually in an RPG, before Puyo Puyo existed. in those game she had Spells and magic and stuff, so she has material beyond moving blocks. I guess because Puyo Puyo is more known, her gimmick if she got in would be more based of setting down blocks and stuff
So blocks and magic? That sounds really fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom