• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
For the sake of sparking discussion and expanding our horizons, are there any character you keep hearing about but have no idea what they do and how they would play?

For me, I've been wondering what Neku could do. I think once I though he hand a spear, but then I realized I had no idea where that came from, so basically I have no idea about what he does beyond Pins and being a a psychic teen, and I'm pretty sure those psychic powers don't include P K F I R E (I hope)
just realized i have no idea what reimu would actually do

D

Deleted member

We'll probably get CP7 either this month or next month. I can't see them waiting too long.
I dunno... considering Nintendo’s reluctance to really show anything over these past few months Cp7 feels like a wild card that COULD come tomorrow, but we have no idea when. All we know is that it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I dunno... considering Nintendo’s reluctance to really show anything over these past few months Cp7 feels like a wild card that COULD come tomorrow, but we have no idea when. All we know is the if.
Dude September just began...And normally a character reveal is every 2-3 months. Except for the Joker-Hero/Banjo gap.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
She'll be in the Air a whole bunch with a lot of Aerial Prowness and shoot a Varity of projectiles, just like the bullet-Hell Franchise she comes from

She'll be Jigglypuff with Projectiles, which honestly Sounds very unfun to fight against, so I hope if thye do put her in, they are able to correctly balance here

D

Deleted member

Dude September just began...And normally a character reveal is every 2-3 months. Except for the Joker-Hero/Banjo gap.
I was talking more in general but yeah that’s a fair point.

Really I’m just hoping it’s relativity soon; speculating has been pretty boring recently and I really just want this period to end.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I really hope we get CP7 this year. Completely understand covid delays, but even with that, they've said they work on multiple characters at a time and it's been a while since they recorded Min Min's Presents. The fact that the next character is probably at least very close to completion makes me think it's likely we'll get CP7 before year's end

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
We desperately need a new poll for this thread.
What were your favorite parts of the Mario Direct? [Allow users to check more than one box similar to the current Direct poll so that one option doesn't overwhelm the others]

• Super Mario 3D All Stars
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
  • Super Mario Bros 35
  • Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
  • Game and Watch Super Mario Bros
  • All dat Mario Merchandise (Amiibo, Lego, T-Shirts, Figures, etc)
  • Mario Events in Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Mario Kart Tour, etc.
  • Super Mario All Stars on NSO

There ya go.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
(I mean, we just had a video about her a couple pages back)
Anyways, I'm actually compiling a concept for a hypothetical Touhou DLC for Smash, albeit with an unrealistic amount of cameos. This is partially because it's also an introduction to the franchise in general. You can read what I have so far here:
But if that's bit too much to take in all at once, here's the short version:

Reimu is the shrine maiden of the Hakurei Shrine. Her job is supposedly to exterminate troublesome youkai, but in truth she's more of a middle ground between humans and youkai. Battles in the Touhou Project are dictated by the spell cards rules, allegedly written by Reimu herself. This is to give weaker beings a fighting chance, as well as to prevent bloodshed. In gameplay, this serves to justify the ludicrous bullet hell, or "danmaku" patterns, right down to the names.

Reimu's main weapon is her purification rod, a gohei that she uses to smack enemies around. This is supplemented with some kicks and punches. However, her main draw is her projectiles. Her most common shot type is the Hakurei Amulet, a weak ofuda talisman with a homing effect, and the Persuasion Needle, a thinner, more direct set of throwing needles. Her ofuda, in particular, can be used in a variety of different ways, such as explosives, barriers, and the spreading Youkai Buster. Aside from that, she possesses the ancestral Yin-Yang Orbs, which can act as either a bouncing projectile or floating satellites that accompany her. Lastly, there are the Bombs, which are effectively spell cards on the player's side. Her most iconic Bomb is Fantasy Seal, a barrage of multicolor projectiles that is prime final smash material.

In Touhou, just about everybody has a unique ability, often based around some odd concept that proves ZUN operates on a different wavelength (Manipulation of distance? Controlling boundaries? Eating history?!). In Reimu's case, she can float. Everyone in Touhou can fly, but Reimu can float through life. This is best expressed through her ultimate technique, Fantasy Nature, where she floats away from reality and becomes invincible. As it';s a state of mind more than anything, what it looks like tends to vary. Regardless, the move is so overpowered that even Reimu, who is a lazy slacker, refused to use it until it was given a name an time limit.

Reimu herself would overall be a defensive lightweight zoner who excels in the air. She'd be one of the most mobile fighters in the game, but also one of the lightest, partially for balancing purposes and partially because that's how Touhou is. She'd also probably stir up a lot of salt thanks to all the projectiles...

D

Deleted member

I’m kinda bored so here’s a question for ya’ll:

What character do you think would have the most “interesting” moveset?
not necessarily based on uniqueness in regards to other movesets but moreso on the flavorful side of things. Stuff like Waluigi incorporating items and concepts from the various Mario sports game to name a primary example.

Coming from a guy supporting an MMO character I can say that mine would definitely be up there. Channeling various schools of magic in a Monado Arts-esche Down B to great effect, ranging from summoning little elfs to humongious dragons and powering up yourself... certainly not a simple moveset but it would make for a really interesting playstyle that really hasn’t been seen before.(think how Shulk works but on a much broader scale and with the actual Monado Arts slightly changing the moveset)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
She'll be in the Air a whole bunch with a lot of Aerial Prowness and shoot a Varity of projectiles, just like the bullet-Hell Franchise she comes from

She'll be Jigglypuff with Projectiles, which honestly Sounds very unfun to fight against, so I hope if thye do put her in, they are able to correctly balance here
That would probably be pretty broken so I don't think they'd really try that. She may be pretty floaty, but I don't think she'd be super polarizing (at least not in that way).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Elma and Rex are characters I don’t know much about but see a lot. What’s their proposed play style?
Elma can use dual swords and dual guns AND switch between them on the fly. she can also use a mech (final smash material) and can boost all her stats with Overdrive

D

Deleted member

I've changed the poll, though now that I've done it, I'm expecting it to be almost immediately invalidated by us getting the FP7 announcement next week. (though I'd love for that to happen, so that's a win-win)
That’s what I’m hoping for ngl.

Although if there’s anything I really wish would happen but likely won’t... I really hope we at least get a small tease towards the next character after CP7. It’s almost certainly not happening but it would be nice if it did.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I really wanna see something Kirby related in this Fighter's Pass. Likelihood of that happening aside, there's a lot of characters from there that I think would be cool additions. Man, it would've been sick if Marx got in, he'd be my most wanted Kirby character if he was still in the running. Magolor and BWD would be pretty cool too.

That whole series needs a revamp in my opinion. I saw it mentioned a couple of pages ago, but aside from the spin-offs, all of the Kirby games follow the same general formula. Of course, they always add fresh ideas (I loved the ability customizing in Star Allies), but Kirby has so much potential to me than just a side-scrolling game. A 3D open world space adventure where you can travel to different planets like No Man's Sky would be pretty cool. But I don't know if 3D would be the right direction for Kirby, I'm not a game developer.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Random question, would anybody be opposed to the Masked Man (if they find a way to bypass any spoilers)?
A. you worry of spoilers for a game that came out 14 years ago
B. you worry of spoilers when his true identity doesn't mean much in a fighting game setting
C. they already spoiled metal face and fiora, mother wouldn't be any different
D. eh, it's not porky or ninten but he's really the only other one who could work

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Random question, would anybody be opposed to the Masked Man (if they find a way to bypass any spoilers)?

I don't think Mother needs a new rep. But I love Mother 3 and the Masked Man would be a fun addition but not really as a DLC character IMO. I do really like this character especially with his back story.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wonder if they could make Giygas work.

This one specifically. Wouldn't make sense to use the weird void form from Mother 2.

1599264886835.png

Probably not but it's a fun idea lol, I remember some people trying to say it could work as a Mewtwo echo pre-release it obviously wouldnt

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
A. you worry of spoilers for a game that came out 14 years ago
B. you worry of spoilers when his true identity doesn't mean much in a fighting game setting
C. they already spoiled metal face and fiora, mother wouldn't be any different
D. eh, it's not porky or ninten but he's really the only other one who could work
I bring up the spoilers because Mother 3 never released outside of Japan, so if they ever decided to release it elsewhere, everyone would already know the game's biggest twist. But you're right lol, I guess it doesn't really matter because it's Smash.

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
Maybe we might get the next Fighter before the Mario Online Tournament.

at least from what I heard
again This is just speculation

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

not necessarily based on uniqueness in regards to other movesets but moreso on the flavorful side of things. Stuff like Waluigi incorporating items and concepts from the various Mario sports game to name a primary example.

Coming from a guy supporting an MMO character I can say that mine would definitely be up there. Channeling various schools of magic in a Monado Arts-esche Down B to great effect, ranging from summoning little elfs to humongious dragons and powering up yourself... certainly not a simple moveset but it would make for a really interesting playstyle that really hasn’t been seen before.(think how Shulk works but on a much broader scale and with the actual Monado Arts slightly changing the moveset)
I always thought Maxwell from Scribblenauts would have a very interesting moveset, since he can write things into existence, basically.

I also think whatever the Chorus Men's moveset would've been was bound to be interesting, even if it lended to part of the reason they were cut. I just have a hard time imagining how a rhythm/music based fighter would effectively work in the chaos of Smash. Maybe that was part of the problem.

I also thought a FPS character that toggled their weapon with down B to change their neutral B would've been a natural and interesting implementation, but Min Min already took that one for herself. xD

And if a character like Arle or Lip could somehow incorporate the puzzle elements of their games into their moveset, that'd be novel. You know, summoning blocks or puyos and shifting them around to create an explosion or a stat boost or raining other pieces down or something, that'd be interesting.

It's fun to think how little-represented genres could bring new elements to the table.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

Steve. At least if they go as far with it as I hope they do if he gets in. So what I'm thinking is, as base Steve he'd have high base knockback but low knockback growth, a pretty terrible character competitively. But it would lend itself to the goal of getting your opponent offstage, which I know that's the goal of every character but it would especially be Steve's goal. With your opponent offstage or even with good distance between you and your opponent, Steve could use his down B, Mine. He'd mine for a material for around a second and a half. We could have this be RNG based. He could find common materials like wood or stone most of the time, maybe something like copper umcommonly, gold rarely, diamond very rarely (worth pointing out here that I'm not familiar with what is mined in Minecraft other than knowing diamonds are the valuable thing or at least were years ago). Once he mines enough materials, he could use his neutral B, Craft, to craft various upgrades. He could, for example, craft a suit of armor that gives him more weight and makes him take less damage and knockback. Craft a sword for better range and damage output. Craft a BB gun so he can use a projectile (I don't know if Minecraft has much in the way of projectiles but if it does, insert Minecraft projectile here instead). Craft... shoes? something perhaps, that could make him a really fast character with a lot of combos. You'd have a say over what exactly you craft, so Steve would be very adaptable. You'd craft the armor vs Shiek since she doesn't kill early, but craft the shoes vs heavies because that's where a fast combo game is at its strongest. Gold equipment would be really strong. Diamond equipment would be flat-out broken, but would be really unlikely that you'd mine the required diamonds and then have time to craft them. Additionally, it's possible Steve could place a block or something, to give him more time to mine and craft. This would need limitations because placing a ton of blocks everywhere would be broken, but maybe a max of two at a time would keep it in check. He probably shouldn't keep mined materials between stocks.

It would probably make Steve similar to Hero: too slow to be an overwhelming presence, but scary with the right RNG. Probably not a great moveset competitively, but very, very interesting. I don't want Steve, but I think he has the potential for the most interesting moveset of any commonly-discussed character.

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
I always thought Maxwell from Scribblenauts would have a very interesting moveset, since he can write things into existence, basically.

I also think whatever the Chorus Men's moveset would've been was bound to be interesting, even if it lended to part of the reason they were cut. I just have a hard time imagining how a rhythm/music based fighter would effectively work in the chaos of Smash. Maybe that was part of the problem.

I also thought a FPS character that toggled their weapon with down B to change their neutral B would've been a natural and interesting implementation, but Min Min already took that one for herself. xD

And if a character like Arle or Lip could somehow incorporate the puzzle elements of their games into their moveset, that'd be novel. You know, summoning blocks or puyos and shifting them around to create an explosion or a stat boost or raining other pieces down or something, that'd be interesting.

It's fun to think how little-represented genres could bring new elements to the table.
Maxwell would be awesome, plus I love Scribblenauts.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Maybe we might get the next Fighter before the Mario Online Tournament.

at least from what I heard
again This is just speculation
I assume we'll get the next fighter by, or before, then, and I'm guessing that it will be a Mario character. Otherwise, I don't see why they'd set up a Mario-themed Smash tournament for November or December (not even giving us one specific month) when it would be easy enough to just have it this weekend.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I assume we'll get the next fighter by, or before, then, and I'm guessing that it will be a Mario character. Otherwise, I don't see why they'd set up a Mario-themed Smash tournament for November or December (not even giving us one specific month) when it would be easy enough to just have it this weekend.
That is very confusing. Maybe the tournament relies on some new gameplay gimmick or stage that isn't attached to a character? Or COVID Somehow ruined it?

If anything I think the announcement of the tourney deconfirms a Mario character being next because they could have easily just said "A new Super Mario character will be coming to Super Smash Bros. " and nothing else to not only keep it vague but to prevent the rest of the Direct from being overshadowed, That is just my 2 cents though.

Last edited:

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
I would definitely be OK with a Mario Character
But which do you think.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That is very confusing. Maybe the tournament relies on some new gameplay gimmick or stage that isn't attached to a character? Or COVID Somehow ruined it?

If anything I think the announcement of the tourney deconfirms a Mario character being next because they could have easily just said "A new Super Mario character will be coming to Super Smash Bros. " and nothing else to not only keep it vague but to prevent the rest of the Direct from being overshadowed, That is just my 2 cents though.
I agree with this. It could be possible that this event was meant to coincide with 3D World Deluxe's release had it not been for COVID.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace

I think a Wars character, probably Andy, would be extremely interesting. They’d fill a summoner role and would be able to build units like Infantry, Mechs, Tanks, etc. To do so they’d have to spend money passively gained throughout the match.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Something I didn't know that was pointed out in Papa Genos recent video. We actually already had a Mario tournament last year in September.
Seems odd to me that they'd do another tourney that was the same as the previous, unless there's a new character and stage to go along with it...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Something I didn't know that was pointed out in Papa Genos recent video. We actually already had a Mario tournament last year in September.
Seems odd to me that they'd do another tourney that was the same as the previous, unless there's a new character and stage to go along with it...
what were the spirits offered as prizes? the article doesnt list them

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

UH Shenmue bros?????
I hope that if it gets an English dub it's just as ****ty as the games.

That's part of the charm and it would suck without it.

The boy has suffered enough I don't want to burning knuckle him. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom