• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I feel like I should point this out.

You can but, modders have added online with rollback netcode to Melee and it seems to work just fine.

So it doesn't seem like 4 characters, items, stage hazards or any of that is a problem for rollback.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Honestly I think Nintendo is just stopping business. They've made enough money. No more games, they're done. It's finally over. Goodbye.
Richest company in Japan
Just STOPPING business
Yeah, no. Not while they're sitting in their Kingdom of Money.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You can but, modders have added online with rollback netcode to Melee and it seems to work just fine.

So it doesn't seem like 4 characters, items, stage hazards or any of that is a problem for rollback.
Slippi.gg doesn't have 4 characters, items, or non-legal stages, though.
You picked unranked, a character, and then the game automatically sets you on a random tournament legal stage with an online opponent.

Honestly though, if that's the issue, they should still add rollback, at least for 1v1s.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm sorry but if we need Bayo's partner as Joker's mother then we need Jeanne. Someone make an edit of this but with Joker, Bayo and Jeanne
View attachment 284215
Idk how I could have forgot about Jeanne. I see her as the cool uncle who always gives gifts to her nephew. Then Vergil could play the role of serious and severe uncle.

All of this is canon in my head.

SKX31

Smash Master
Slippi.gg doesn't have 4 characters, items, or non-legal stages, though.
You picked unranked, a character, and then the game automatically sets you on a random tournament legal stage.
While that's true, it's also worth noting that the Slippi team's working on several aspects such as ranked. And they're a small team, leading to jokes that a mega-corp like Nintendo can't do what 4 main developers can:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/hg03u2
“I don’t know what this rollback stuff is, but I still know that I don’t like it,” said Doug Trouser, Director of Ceasing and Desisting at Nintendo of America. “We’re currently in the process of performing our due diligence to determine exactly what type of violations have been committed. But our experts have never seen or heard of anything like this before, and that’s delaying us at the moment.”

“I don’t even understand the appeal of this rollback netcode stuff, much less how it works,” admitted Trouser. “Our newest title in the series, Smash Bros Ultimate already features robust online play that allows players to roll back, forwards, or even spot dodge. We’ve also sped these actions up since Melee as well. What more could people want?”
Stuff that's meant for casual play (like items and non-legal stages) are probably on the back-burner though (and thus probably going to be added later) because Slippi's mainly appealing to Melee's competitive side - which are the majority still playing Melee. EDIT: I do believe that rollback can handle hazards, items etc. but it's going to take a lot of effort to account for that, and it might take something like a DX port to fully make sure it's working.

Yeah, no. Not while they're sitting in their Kingdom of Money.
(Wanted an excuse to post this, since BizarroFlame ranks as one of my personal favorite Smashers.)

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot

Really ironic and kinda sad, that Sakurai wanted to add rollback, but couldn't because of features and modes that none of the competitive community will never use

So at the end, he wasted his time on the other type of code

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Honestly I think Nintendo is just stopping business. They've made enough money. No more games, they're done. It's finally over. Goodbye.
Brands/companies like this don't just suddenly quit the industry for no reason. If they're doing good financially they'll just keep going. This pandemic is barely making a dent in their wallet.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
This is their business, though. Hang tight and weather the storm, while raking in lots of moola from what they already have out. When things go back to normal, Nintendo most likely will too. The only problem is that we have no idea when things will go back to normal.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot

Except one is a GameCube offline game from 19 years ago, and the other is a modern video game that is still getting updated to this day

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
While that's true, it's also worth noting that the Slippi team's working on several aspects such as ranked. And they're a small team, leading to jokes that a mega-corp like Nintendo can't do what 4 main developers can:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/hg03u2

Stuff that's meant for casual play (like items and non-legal stages) are probably on the back-burner though (and thus probably going to be added later) because Slippi's mainly appealing to Melee's competitive side - which are the majority still playing Melee. EDIT: I do believe that rollback can handle hazards, items etc. but it's going to take a lot of effort to account for that, and it might take something like a DX port to fully make sure it's working.

(Wanted an excuse to post this, since BizarroFlame ranks as one of my personal favorite Smashers.)

Didn't Slippi also say not to compare this to Ultimate's online because they're two different beasts?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Nintendo UK posted something that wasn't a Direct announcement
I know I’m certainly shedding tears about Paper Mario. Probably not for the reasons Nintendo intended though.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I know I’m certainly shedding tears about Paper Mario. Probably not for the reason Nintendo intended though.
The whole thread has probably been shedding tears for the past three or so pages.

tenor-11.gif

Everyone's losing their minds waiting for a Tweet from Nintendo every day.

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai metioned netcode, and said Rollback was considered, but unfortunately it didn't work because it had issues

Just mentioning on here

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Didn't Slippi also say not to compare this to Ultimate's online because they're two different beasts?
Checks

Thanks, I forgot about that - meant that in the sense that people have already made comparisions (such as this incredibly blunt but kinda misleading one). I presume you mean this tweet?

Direct link - the tweet doesn't seem to be properly loading, but Fizzi's (the main creator of Slippi) tweet linked to a GDC talk from Netherrealm about the complexities re: Rollback in Mortal Kombat and Injustice.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'm just glad that, even if nothing else comes of it tomorrow, we had something to talk about in the immediate.

Maybe I'm just kinda biased since my year's been ungodly bad(Go figure, 2020 a bad year?), but right now, silly stuff like speculation and getting excited for potential reveals just feels.... ya know, fun.

This last week in particular has been disgustingly rough, my dog passed away last week, so this small burst of excitement has helped me cope a bit.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I'm just glad that, even if nothing else comes of it tomorrow, we had something to talk about in the immediate.

Maybe I'm just kinda biased since my year's been ungodly bad(Go figure, 2020 a bad year?), but right now, silly stuff like speculation and getting excited for potential reveals just feels.... ya know, fun.

This last week in particular has been disgustingly rough, my dog passed away last week, so this small burst of excitement has helped me cope a bit.
I know the feeling my friend. The year has dull, rough and demotivating for me, but being on this forum has been a nice thing knowing you guys.

I think something is going to happen tomorrow and with my house might be quiet, I'll just chill here and do some writing while recovering from my tooth thing.

If it is a new fighter, my gut is saying 1st Party.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Wait, in the same week the Small Battlefield update launched we actually got an Event-Tourney (the Smash Ball Fake Out Tourney). Why are people saying that we didn't get an Event back then (or did I misunderstand something)?

cosmicB

Smash Ace

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I know how awful that feels. My last one passed a few days after Ultimate came out, so in a lot of ways I'll always associate the game with her.

Hopefully we get something soon to make this year just a little bit brighter.

Shroob

Sup?
Wait, in the same week the Small Battlefield update launched we actually got an Event-Tourney (the Smash Ball Fake Out Tourney). Why are people saying that we didn't get an Event back then (or did I misunderstand something)?
I'm not sure what the current consensus is, but at least when I left off last night, it's more the fact that we haven't gotten anything that's suspicious.

Historically, in weeks where we get no Tournament/Spirit event, is when people pin for new character reveals.

Smol Battlefield was shocking, since it was the first non-major patch that added actually tangible new content, but it wasn't anything really close to this.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

I’m sorry for your loss. One of my dogs passed away back in May, so I know that sad feeling all too well. It’s been a rough year for me too for various reasons, being an essential worker busting my ass off definitely hasn’t helped either.

Video games have basically been the highlight of the year between new releases like Doom: Eternal & going through my backlog with the likes of the OG Final Fantasy VII. I just wish Smash reveals could’ve made this year a bit brighter. I’ve been pretty indifferent to the two characters that got in this year; I respect the picks, but they’ve done nothing for me.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm not sure what the current consensus is, but at least when I left off last night, it's more the fact that we haven't gotten anything that's suspicious.

Historically, in weeks where we get no Tournament/Spirit event, is when people pin for new character reveals.

Smol Battlefield was shocking, since it was the first non-major patch that added actually tangible new content, but it wasn't anything really close to this.
One idea mentioned was that Small Battlefield was a brief tie-over much like Labo VR, followed by Hero's reveal the following month, and then actually dropping the month after that. I can see that happening, especially given Nintendo's penchant for September directs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom