• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I swear the French must be experts at making fake leaks or something. Anyways, even if this post did exist before, there's the possibility that the poster in question merely guessed some stuff right. Just ask PSIGuy PSIGuy , his friend made a 4chan post that guessed half the fighters pass with all the Hero skins but it wasn't a real leak.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I never really believed in Dante from DMC getting into Smash, Phoenix Wrong getting in would be LOVELY, the reveal trailer is like, BOUNDLESS POSSIBILITIES with the courtroom and the judge and whatnot.

Level 5... heh heh heh heh heh heh heh. Jibanyan is totally gonna be the Level 5 guy, especially if Phoenix Wrong is indeed coming (I don't think Wrong and Layton would BOTH come). Jibanyan with his PAWS OF FURYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY NYAH NYAH NYAH NYAH NYAH! "I am a cat and I like it like that, I tell half truths like a diplomat"

And of COURSE

WE'D GET GERA GERA PO IN SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH! Maybe even a couple versions of it, maybe even a NEW SMASH REMIX

Gera gera po! GERRRRRRRRRRA GERA PO!

Plus, I mean COME ON

Yo-kai Watch SPIRIT BOARD or "INSPIRIT" Board if you will... that writes itself too. That could even play into the reveal trailer, the spirits of characters, various characters being inspirited by Yo-kai (whoever gets inspirited by Fidgephant will need a quick commode).

Kinda secretly want it now. Give me my irritating, chocolate bar eating red cat who stands out in the crosswalk and punches cars.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
If we got a Level 5 rep I think Mamoru Endou from Inazuma Eleven would have a decent shot

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I never really understand why people think that Wright would kill Layton chance or Layton would kill Wright chance. I don't even consider them coming from the same genre. Both are adventure game in general, but Wright is more a visual novel/point and click, with a way bigger emphasis on dialogue and choice, while Layton's games are more puzzle/point and click, wity a way bigger emphasis on puzzle solving. And even if you consider them from the same genres, they both would have heavily different moveset.
Layton was probably always closer to the likes of Brain Age and Wario Ware gameplay wise over just your average visual novel anyway.
As in, you're constantly given various problems/minigames/puzzles to solve before you can progress except you're not thrown under a time crunch to solve them.
But it had a larger emphasis on storytelling than those, though I don't know if that would necessarily put it under the visual novel umbrella, otherwise a lot of RPG's would probably be thrown in there too...

But yeah, not like Genre overlap really stopped us much in the last pass, or even the last DLC cycle from Smash 4 for that matter.

Besides, if we're supposedly getting Phoenix, a gen 8 Mon and a Level-5 character together then by that logic, that would conflict with both Layton and Yo-Kai Watch as a monster collector franchise. So yeah, not really a headache I would see them go through...

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Maybe? Assuming E3 was to have a double reveal, I could see Nintendo shoving CP7 back while the devs get acquainted with distance working and sort out Min Min, and allow them to be revealed with CP8 while they're at it. Still, I'd expect CP8 to only get a Terry-style reveal with unique animation and no gameplay footage.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
FP8's trailer could have footage if they're a simple character, I feel. if they're a little more complex like Terry then yeah just drop "now in development" after the title card

7NATOR

Smash Master
FP8's trailer could have footage if they're a simple character, I feel. if they're a little more complex like Terry then yeah just drop "now in development" after the title card
Well if Min-Min is any Indication, I don't know what would be considered Simple for This pass. Crash is the Only Character I could imagine would be Simplish...Maybe Bomberman as well. But yeah these New DLC Characters are changing the game. I'm sure even if they have their gimmicks they could have footage, even if they have to T-Pose in Footage

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Layton was probably always closer to the likes of Brain Age and Wario Ware gameplay wise over just your average visual novel anyway.
As in, you're constantly given various problems/minigames/puzzles to solve before you can progress except you're not thrown under a time crunch to solve them.
But it had a larger emphasis on storytelling than those, though I don't know if that would necessarily put it under the visual novel umbrella, otherwise a lot of RPG's would probably be thrown in there too...

But yeah, not like Genre overlap really stopped us much in the last pass, or even the last DLC cycle from Smash 4 for that matter.

Besides, if we're supposedly getting Phoenix, a gen 8 Mon and a Level-5 character together then by that logic, that would conflict with both Layton and Yo-Kai Watch as a monster collector franchise. So yeah, not really a headache I would see them go through...
Besides, there's still no guarantee of a Gen 8 Pokemon, and the rumor doesn't imply that we're getting one.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Objectively speaking, one thing that points to the likelihood of Phoenix and Layton both being on the Pass is that they'd be the hypest dual reveal ever. You'd have to be dead inside to pass that up.
I wish Smash was willing to more overtly reference other crossovers, because in the event that both Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton get in, their trailer(s) should be a whole-sale reference to their previous crossover together...

cashregister9

Smash Hero
My current cursed thought:

Maybe E3 only had Min Min, Pikmin 3, Paper Mario and the Third Parties/Indies

Also a Layton and Phoenix Wright double reveal would be legendary especially if it references the 3DS game but I don't think it is likely The Layton and Phoenix Wright games are quite different but they fill a similar niche and the Smash gameplay might be way more similar than say a Yokai and a Pokemon

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
On the topic of representing different genres through DLC, I don't think that's something Nintendo is concerned about.

It might be a very small factor that plays a part in a character being chosen, but I'm certain Nintendo has better reasons for the choices they've made so far. Hero was likely added because of how successful DQ has been in Japan, Banjo because of the fan demand, and Byleth because they were specifically looking for a new title. I doubt any of these three were chosen to fill in a quota for representing select genres.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I myself do not think that there will be any dual reveals. Due to the approximated end of the pass I think that the reveals and releases will be far more spaced out than those of FP1.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
hopefully Sakurai decides to do four more as per the WoL slots. doubt it'll happen but that would be cool
Why are people so convinced that there are only a finite number of slots left due to WoL? Sure the software might currently not be able to have more, but Sakurai and the Devs... well they control that. They could fix that "limit" once they get closer to reaching it, or when they need to break it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Why are people so convinced that there are only a finite number of slots left due to WoL? Sure the software might currently not be able to have more, but Sakurai and the Devs... well they control that. They could fix that "limit" once they get closer to reaching it, or when they need to break it.
i mean, isn't the 91 slots before crashing the CSS still a thing, or have they fixed that?

cosmicB

Smash Ace
On the subject of Sora as a Mii costume, I always see people say things like "why would they get this really hard to get IP only to mii costume it?" and I'm genuinely curious if people have information on the specifics of IP loaning in this context. Like, has Sakurai given interviews on this? The way people speak about it, it almost seems like they think there's some flat fee to grab the IP for a cameo that would cost the same whether it be a full character or a spirit. Like the whole speculation is filled with IP lawyers.

This isn't specifically a comment on Sora himself, but the idea that a perceived volatile property can't be mii costumed because "it wouldn't be worth it" just seems like faulty thinking to begin with. I can't imagine getting the rights to Assassin's Creed, Fallout and Rayman was some walk in the park either, especially when we know how difficult it is for the team to work with non-Japanese companies.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Objectively speaking, one thing that points to the likelihood of Phoenix and Layton both being on the Pass is that they'd be the hypest dual reveal ever. You'd have to be dead inside to pass that up.
They should add a Monokuma mii costume and make a special small trailer where Wright is at court and the defendant is the Monokuma mii.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
On the subject of Sora as a Mii costume, I always see people say things like "why would they get this really hard to get IP only to mii costume it?" and I'm genuinely curious if people have information on the specifics of IP loaning in this context. Like, has Sakurai given interviews on this? The way people speak about it, it almost seems like they think there's some flat fee to grab the IP for a cameo that would cost the same whether it be a full character or a spirit. Like the whole speculation is filled with IP lawyers.

This isn't specifically a comment on Sora himself, but the idea that a perceived volatile property can't be mii costumed because "it wouldn't be worth it" just seems like faulty thinking to begin with. I can't imagine getting the rights to Assassin's Creed, Fallout and Rayman was some walk in the park either, especially when we know how difficult it is for the team to work with non-Japanese companies.
I would imagine those companies put forward their own IPs for Nintendo to use rather than Nintendo seeking out those companies for a character.
We've got precedence in that it was Ubisoft who approached Nintendo with a model of Ray-man for them to use in Smash 4 only to promptly be turned into a Trophy. Ubisoft as well plays fast and loose with crossovers such as Final Fantasy XV x Assassin's Creed, Samurai Shodown x For Honor, and of course, Mario x Rabbids.

Just being in Smash is a HUGE deal in terms of advertising and awareness so it's not a bad deal, especially for indies like Undertale, Shovel Knight, and Cuphead and it's not so unreasonable to think Bethesda wanted a slice of that pie with their Vault Boy.

Meanwhile I personally really just can't see Disney loaning out Sora on a whim. I think they're quite proud of the value of their IP and would want a bit more than a mii to dress up as their star videogame character.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
\\
They should add a Monokuma mii costume and make a special small trailer where Wright is at court and the defendant is the Monokuma mii.
Personally, While I would like to see that, I would also Like to see Phoenix go against Yoshi for "you know what". Perhaps they could fit both in

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
\\

Personally, While I would like to see that, I would also Like to see Phoenix go against Yoshi for "you know what". Perhaps they could fit both in
wouldn't you use Duck Hunt or Banjo & Kazooie or even Falco for "you know what" tho?

you know, cross examining the parrot?

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
wouldn't you use Duck Hunt or Banjo & Kazooie or even Falco for "you know what" tho?

you know, cross examining the parrot?
No, No, No, I'm talking about Yoshi's long history of not doing the legal action of Doing your taxes. Phoenix Offically calling out Yoshi for Tax fraud would ultimately teach him a lesson he'll never forget

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Because this is the speculation thread, I wanted to make a case for my most wanted because why the hell not (and no, I'm not saying this character is likely because they aren't at all.) If you think your character is a pipe dream, this guy is really a pipe dream. Maybe some discussion can be generated from this post, because whenever this character is brought up. they're almost instantly dismissed, which is fair, but I still feel an urge to make this post. I'm talking about non other than my ol' pal:

What's in Conker's Favor?
  • He's arguably Rare's go-to character after Banjo.
    • I'm not discrediting Battletoads, don't worry. It's just that wherever Banjo appears, Conker is 90% of the time alongside him in Rare/Xbox promotional materials.
  • Conker's brand image is trusted enough by Microsoft to promote their products.
    • Conker has been used by Microsoft to promote both Project Spark (getting an inkling of a new adventure as well as an HD render), while simultaneously appearing to promote the Microsoft HoloLens in Young Conker (2016). Young Conker specifically is pretty hated, but it's still an example of Microsoft utilizing Conker's image in recent times.
  • Conker could play as a fun mix-up/wild-card character; he'd be unique.
    • There's a common notion that all Conker does is drink and swear, but that's actually far from the truth. Aside from few and far between cutscenes, Conker is only playable while drunk in two levels. In every other level, he's incredibly nimble, uses a trusty frying pan, slingshot, guns, a sword, and can even ride/attack using an anthropomorphic pitchfork! Conker can work perfectly fine with a moveset that captures his likeness even without M-rated gags. But his coolest and most iconic feature: context sensitive!
      • Context Sensitive: In Bad Fur Day, this move basically allowed Conker to tap into the powers of cartoon logic. Depending on the situation, Conker do a number of things, from turning himself into a falling anvil, whipping out a rocket launcher, creating a dynamite trap. A neutral B that changes depending on the circumstances would be a cool, never before seen feature in Smash.
  • Conker still receives merchandise alongside Banjo.
    • Companies such as First 4 Figures and Totaku have recently released high quality figurines of Conker, which once again goes to show that Conker, in some regard, is believed to be marketable/recognizable by someone at Microsoft/Rare. Here are pictures of the figurines in case anyone wanted to see:
  • Conker can be arguably considered a Nintendo character in a sorta-kinda similar way to Banjo (a stretch, I know)
    • Outside of Banjo, Conker is the only playable character in Diddy Kong Racing to have a spin-off franchise. And although this is a major, major stretch, I thought it'd be cool to share that Conker appeared in the German Club Nintendo comics "N-Gang" from 1999-2000, alongside other historical video game characters like Mega Man and Bomberman.
  • Finally, Conker would bring with him lots of new music, spirits, and creative alternate costume choices:
    • Aside from the Great Mighty Poo song, there's lots of great numbers from the score of Bad Fur Day that would be great to expanding music of Smash, like the iconic 'Windy' theme that many have heard at some point even if they haven't played the game ('Rock Solid' is one of the best tracks in gaming history, just saying.) Of course, there are notable characters, enemies, and bosses that could easily become spirits. And Conker also has a variety of outfits from Bad Fur Day/Live and Reloaded, alongside copying color palettes from existing characters for a variety of alt-costume choices. Here's what I had in mind:

What isn't in Conker's favor?
  • When it comes to choosing a second Rare rep for Smash, next to no one wants Conker compared to other fanbases.
    • Battletoads, Joanna Dark, hell, even James Bond from GoldenEye 64 are more wanted than Conker. It's not that nobody likes Conker or doesn't want him anywhere near Smash Bros, most just see him and think "Smash? Yeah, that's never happening, moving on."
  • He has virtually no presence in Japan.
    • Bad Fur Day never released in Japan, and I'm not sure if Live and Reloaded ever did. I'm sure there are some fans from Japan, like with any character, but nothing even close to substantial enough to merit even an eyebrow raise.
  • Chris Seavor says it's probably never happening.
    • I spoke a few times with the director of Bad Fur Day, Chris Seavor, on Twitter about the prospect of Conker joining Smash. He told me he'd be down for it to happen and he'd come back to voice the squirrel, but in his own words, it just isn't likely to happen.
  • Most damning of all, Conker hails from the South Park of video games.
    • Lots of M-rated characters are considered 'legitimate' picks to join Smash, but Conker's case is different. He doesn't come from an FPS game, or a beat-em-up. He comes from a game that references alcohol, drugs, sex, contains swearing, crude humor that has aged poorly (in today's context), and a boss that is a literal pile of feces singing opera. Not exactly the ideal candidate Nintendo is looking for (although Nintendo of America did release official Conker's Bad Fur Day condoms at a promotional event lol.)

This post isn't to be taken too seriously, I just wanted to see if any discussion could be generated from it. A lot of people instantly dismiss Conker because "a drunk squirrel can't be given proper justice in Smash!" but I really do think there's more to the character than just that. All of Conker's abilities and weapons are kid-friendly, and even the ones that aren't (such as guns and rocket launchers) are already in Smash. The only aspects that are legitimately against Conker in my opinion is his lack of presence in Japan, and his source material. The character, by himself, can be easily worked around to fit the ESRB rating of Smash.

I'd take a Mii Costume, even some spirits. I know many view Bad Fur Day as a disgusting, low-hanging fruit game, but to me and many others, the game is an immensely fun and creative spin on the 3D platforming genre, one that gave the middle finger to Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie to deliver a unique experience that will likely never be replicated in gaming again. Although some humor is face-palming inducing, a good amount was subtle and very clever, and all the movie references were awesome to see!

Just wish this poor guy got some acknowledgement. Give me a Conker spirit, and I'm good to go!

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I never really understand why people think that Wright would kill Layton chance or Layton would kill Wright chance. I don't even consider them coming from the same genre. Both are adventure game in general, but Wright is more a visual novel/point and click, with a way bigger emphasis on dialogue and choice, while Layton's games are more puzzle/point and click, wity a way bigger emphasis on puzzle solving. And even if you consider them from the same genres, they both would have heavily different moveset.
IDK, with the amount of options from both companies I feel it’d be weird if they picked two characters who don’t typically fight. I’d be down for it if it happens though. Wright & Layton are both cool, even if Wright isn’t my first (or even third) Capcom choice.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
How about it, cashregister9 cashregister9 cashregister9 cashregister9 ? You want to start a movement that could potentially become the next Geno (I mean that in a good way)?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
NateDrake on Era is saying no September game, at least for retail. could be a digital only thing.

They still have stuff for 2020 but it's becoming more evident they aren't focused on 2020. And by no games in Sept I'm specifically referring to retail.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Figured at this point since in Japan you need to a release date at least 30 days ahead of its release before retailers can start taking pre-orders.
Yeah, if we get a general direct this month, it'll probably just be an announcement for the holiday season game and Smash DLC, with the bulk of the reveals being next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom