• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
2: What is the Classic Mode called? Unlike Joker, the title is in japanese in the video. The first fight seems to reference Slimes, but knowing the title could help a bit. (Wow, I really thought it would be RPG-themed).
勇者たちの記憶 lit. Memories of the Heroes.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm actually really glad they went for the RNG down special instead of the "4 special moves for each special" thing most people i talked to seemed to think it was, because it would have made hero waaaaay too complex, imo.
Just setting the 4 that you like to use the most seems much less complicated than 15 random abilities.

D

Deleted member

It is only for smash attacks though, they are meant to be hard to land against the pro level players, might be a pain for just casual play though :4pacman:
Adding random elements that net massive unsuspected rewards with no control from either player to competitive play is poor game design no matter how you slice it. Not all Smash attacks are slow to come out, especially uncharged USmashes. Pretending like "it doesn't matter in comp play" only shows you don't really play live tourneys very often. The verdict isn't out on how busted this character is, but all my friends who compete professionally here in Japan are already ********.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The Hero is cool and all but can we talk about that JIGGLE PHYSICS SLIME HAT!?
Can't wait for jiggle physics senran kagura miis.

Yeah, it's cute.

Ornl

Smash Ace
(The Costume Theory was favorable to Capcom/Bamco. From now on, the chances of Capcom/Bamco should be lowered.
Phoenix Wright is less important than Monster Hunter and Resident Evil. Monster Hunter is locked. The unique and different gameplay of Resident Evil is far from feasible.
• Tales and Tekken can only be upgrades from Mii Costumes. They have a similar important handicap than the Spirits.)

Ehhh people were predicting a Capcom and/or Namco character long before Costume Theory.

Much of the Namco belief was predicated on the notion of some level of enforced parity, which seems flawed to me (I believe characters are chosen based on themselves or their series, not their company) but it was certainly never totally contingent on the costumes.
The argument of parity is not enough because it's invalid. It was supported by Costume Theory. It isn't anymore. The Capcom characters have been recently evaluated. The Costume Therory has been invoked several times.

(Top RTC Trends
1 - Crash Bandicoot 52%
1 - Resident Evil rep 52%
3 - Phoenix Wright 44%
3 - Lloyd Irving 44%

5 - Leon S. Kennedy 42.5%)

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm actually really glad they went for the RNG down special instead of the "4 special moves for each special" thing most people i talked to seemed to think it was, because it would have made hero waaaaay too complex, imo.
Honestly, I think he's complex either way, just that one of those ways depends on RNG and the other doesn't. Really, I still think the skill floor will be relatively high.

Also, i might main one the mii fighters just for the jiggly slime hat.
The Hero is cool and all but can we talk about that JIGGLE PHYSICS SLIME HAT!?
I think they even go out of their way to show how it jiggles when the Gunner shoots.

勇者たちの記憶 lit. Memories of the Heroes.
Ah, thanks. Maybe battles referencing all of DQ as a series, then? Pretty sure Rathalos will be the boss, since it seems to be the closest to a DQ monster.

D

Deleted member

cjgeno.png

That was a pretty cool showcase, and even though Dragon Quest got less music and spirits than Persona 5 did, at least SE didn't **** the bed again like they did with FF. It's also interesting that the new Mii Costumes are only DQ related, which might just imply we're not getting any Mii Costumes from franchises not in Smash currently.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Adding random elements that net massive unsuspected rewards with no control from either player to competitive play is poor game design no matter how you slice it. Not all Smash attacks are slow to come out, especially uncharged USmashes. Pretending like "it doesn't matter in comp play" only shows you don't really play live tourneys very often. The verdict isn't out on how busted this character is, but all my friends who compete professionally here in Japan are already ********.
The crits seem to be pretty common though so it might just be a "watch out for Marth's tipper Forward Smash" kind of thing. I do anticipate the character generating a lot of salt though. Especially with situations where an opponent tries to recover and gets killed by a random Magic Blast or something.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Are we ever gonna get a DLC stage that would be considered tournament legal? And if so, what would you like to see as one?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Are we ever gonna get a DLC stage that would be considered tournament legal? And if so, what would you like to see as one?
Yggdrasil's Altar might be so long as those treasure platforms don't change the blast zones any (or aren't too frequent). It could also be banned for basically being Final Destination if the other platforms don't come in enough.

EDIT: If it isn't banned I see it becoming very popular. It seems to be a mix of a bunch of stages like Town & City/Kalos Pokémon League and Battlefield, with probably a few more layouts.

Last edited:

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
But ten! Possilibitliy of assist upgrades! Sakurai breaking fan rules all the time!
I ain't saying he can't be in, but rather that he probably won't be in. Maybe if they do a Nintendo pass later down the line but for this pass it's a hard no. Besides, why would he go thru all the trouble of making him an assist if Waluigi was later decided to be playable? It's not that he is unable to be promoted, but why would he be chosen?

sorry for seeming condensending or rude if it came off that way

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Can’t help but feel Geno fans are setting themselves up for disappointment... again.

Chocobo Hat also being absent makes me think that whoever was in charge just wanted the entire DLC package to be a DQ celebration.

Jiggling Slime hat might be the first Mii item I purchase.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don’t really care for “hype responsibly.”

It’s just a game. I can hype all I want and I’ll just be disappointed as I always am when my wants don’t get in, even when I don’t expect them.

That being said I don’t expect Geno, either, though he’d be a nice surprise.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So the Hero’s Down Special is random.

Almost reminds me of my idea for Wandering Hero from StreetPass Mii Plaza Find Mii I & II.

My idea was for Wandering Hero’s Down Special to have Wandering Hero leave (aka going to the back of the queue) and the next Wandering Hero with a random different shirt color appears. Shirt colors determine what kind of magic (B, Side, and Up) Wandering Hero will use.

Wandering Hero with red shirt = fire magic
Wandering Hero with blue shirt = water magic
Wandering Hero with light blue shirt = ice magic
And so on. There are 12 shirt colors in total.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
(The Costume Theory was favorable to Capcom/Bamco. From now on, the chances of Capcom/Bamco should be lowered.
Phoenix Wright is less important than Monster Hunter and Resident Evil. Monster Hunter is locked. The unique and different gameplay of Resident Evil is far from feasible.
• Tales and Tekken can only be upgrades from Mii Costumes. They have a similar important handicap than the Spirits.)

The argument of parity is not enough because it's invalid. It was supported by Costume Theory. It isn't anymore. The Capcom characters have been recently evaluated. The Costume Therory has been invoked several times.

(Top RTC Trends
1 - Crash Bandicoot 52%
3 - Phoenix Wright 44%
3 - Lloyd Irving 44%

1 Final Fantasy
2 Sonic the Hedgehog

3 Resident Evil
4 Dragon Quest
5 Monster Hunter
6 Metal Gear
7 Tekken
8 Pac-Man
9 Street Fighter
10 Mega Man

11 Kingdom Hearts
12 Puyo Puyo
13 Castlevania
14 Tales
15 Dynasty Warriors
16 Devil May Cry
17 Professor Layton
18 Megami Tensei
19 Soulcalibur
20 Souls

Top 20 sales* of Japanese originating franchises. I've bolded franchises who already have reps. For franchises with no playable characters in Smash: 3 are Capcom, 4 are Namco and 1 each for Square, Sega, Level-5 and Koei

Costume theory is 100% not the only thing going for Capcom and Namco at this point.

*I removed some franchises like Pro Evo and Bemani for lacking a central rep, and 4th party franchises, Super Robot Wars was a late cut, just because it originated as a Gundam spin-off

ChaosAngelZone

Smash Cadet
Well, that was a neat presentation. Definitely looking forward to trying out Hero.

I am a bit confused as to what's going on with the costumes, but, as someone who's not very familiar with Dragon Quest, I would have thought that the Martial Artist costume came straight out of Dragon Ball, which was an awesome surprise to me. If I can't have Goku in Smash, then I can at least settle for Yamcha.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I am happy the costume theory is dead as it was stifling dlc disscussion. Also, so many people think this means Geno has a chance, but he has a spirit, yet shantae has a spirit and everyone says she has no chance because of that lol. Talk about bias :p

Anyway, i still think anything can happen. I for one dont think any leak is right atm, even that one papagenos papagenos just coveres. All those guesses were not hard. Plus i am not expecting a monster hunter character at all, given how salurai only felt a boss best represented the series. And honestly he is right, the monsters are the star in that game.

Really though, anything and everything is a possibility unless it was directly said otherwise by sakurai. Any spirit can become a fighter still. We can still get first party characters. Stop only using your dumb fan made rules

Ornl

Smash Ace
• Tales and Tekken can only be upgrades from Mii Costumes. They have a similar important handicap than the Spirits

The argument of parity is not enough because it's invalid. It was supported by Costume Theory. It isn't anymore. The Capcom characters have been recently evaluated. The Costume Therory has been invoked several times..)

Top 20 sales* of Japanese originating franchises. I've bolded franchises who already have reps. For franchises with no playable characters in Smash: 3 are Capcom, 4 are Namco and 1 each for Square, Sega, Level-5 and Koei
The choices about Persona and Banjo don't refer to sales.
Costume theory is 100% not the only thing going for Capcom and Namco at this point.
No need to make statements to me if I didn't say otherwise.

D

Deleted member

I think the best part of the Hero Direct is that now we can go full on hype mode for Banjo-Kazooie for the next 2-3 months. I keep watching that reveal trailer and I STILL can't believe they're Smash!! Holy ****!

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
1 Final Fantasy
2 Sonic the Hedgehog

3 Resident Evil
4 Dragon Quest
5 Monster Hunter
6 Metal Gear
7 Tekken
8 Pac-Man
9 Street Fighter
10 Mega Man

11 Kingdom Hearts
12 Puyo Puyo
13 Castlevania
14 Tales
15 Dynasty Warriors
16 Devil May Cry
17 Professor Layton
18 Megami Tensei
19 Soulcalibur
20 Souls

*I removed some franchises like Pro Evo and Bemani for lacking a central rep, and 4th party franchises, Super Robot Wars was a late cut, just because it originated as a Gundam spin-off
Double checked your list, and it actually is really interesting seeing who the top dogs in Japan are franchise wise, as well as how big of a cross over smash is at this point having a good many of those franchises in the game. One edit I would point out is that, even though it is implied, that list is Japanese originating Third-party franchises, otherwise the list would be pretty much only Nintendo franchises. On another note, its quite amazing how many absurdly successful franchises Nintendo has in its arsenal. And since I'm here anyways, I agree with the sentiment that Bandai Namco and Capcom really haven't had their chances changed by the death of costume theory. The franchises people have been discussing with those companies are still successful games that would be good editions to the game, and are still decently likely to be added as DLC.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don’t really get why the mii costume theory should be used as a point even before today, we already got Microsoft on board and they could get other new companies as well if they don’t double dip for characters. It really held no water at all after E3, probably none at all since two Sega costumes were already scrapped, and there was no reason to think it somehow made Namco and Capcom more-likely (at least after E3, though I guess you’d have to assume they’re basing character choices after companies and the mii costumes they could sell).

Pretty much most characters are on the same level of likeliness at this point.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think we MAY get either a Capcom OR Namco rep in the pass even with Costume theory dead. Maybe not both, but one of those two.

And if you ask me my money’s on Namco

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I am happy the costume theory is dead as it was stifling dlc disscussion. Also, so many people think this means Geno has a chance, but he has a spirit, yet shantae has a spirit and everyone says she has no chance because of that lol. Talk about bias :p

Anyway, i still think anything can happen. I for one dont think any leak is right atm, even that one papagenos papagenos just coveres. All those guesses were not hard. Plus i am not expecting a monster hunter character at all, given how salurai only felt a boss best represented the series. And honestly he is right, the monsters are the star in that game.

Really though, anything and everything is a possibility unless it was directly said otherwise by sakurai. Any spirit can become a fighter still. We can still get first party characters. Stop only using your dumb fan made rules
Obligatory image for anyone who wants to respond to Spirit deconfirmers.
EAayaOZXkAAK5t_.jpg
Yup, if two Lucas and Mewtwo Trophies could coexist with each other in Smash 4, then it's ridiculous to apply the disconfirmation hammer to Spirits.

BUT...BUT..BUT SpIRitS aRE ActUALLY FIghTabLE! IT WouLDn'T maKE sENse iN THe LoRE!
EAayaOdXkAE2ir_.jpg

EAa5PM2XYAQ6NmW.jpg
EAa5PMzXoAEKaYs.jpg
EAa5PM0XYAEO5H5.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think the best part of the Hero Direct is that now we can go full on hype mode for Banjo-Kazooie for the next 2-3 months. I keep watching that reveal trailer and I STILL can't believe they're Smash!! Holy ****!
Maybe they can make Banjo's page selectable now that Hero is (basically) out.

Not much, but better than nothing.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
• Tales and Tekken can only be upgrades from Mii Costumes. They have a similar important handicap than the Spirits

The argument of parity is not enough because it's invalid. It was supported by Costume Theory. It isn't anymore. The Capcom characters have been recently evaluated. The Costume Therory has been invoked several times..)

The choices about Persona and Banjo don't refer to sales.
None of the characters choices refer to anything. I'm just pointing out a correlation between franchises that sell very well and their appearances in Smash. Capcom and Namco both have multiple unrepresented franchises on that list, meaning that they still have better than average chance to be in the game, just based on the popularity of their franchises.

No need to make statements to me if I didn't say otherwise.
Maybe I over stretched saying "not the only thing", but costume theory does nothing to change how I think about those franchises or companies chances. Therefore I won't be lowering their chances. I still think they're two of the most likely companies to be in the fighters pass.

One edit I would point out is that, even though it is implied, that list is Japanese originating Third-party franchises, otherwise the list would be pretty much only Nintendo franchises.
That is 100% what I intended.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yup, if two Lucas and Mewtwo Trophies could coexist with each other in Smash 4, then it's ridiculous to apply the disconfirmation hammer to Spirits.

BUT...BUT..BUT SpIRitS aRE ActUALLY FIghTabLE! IT WouLDn'T maKE sENse iN THe LoRE!
Plus Spirits could’ve been done or mostly completed (at least negotiated for) before DLC plans were even finished or shared with Sakurai, given all the stuff related to them including the whole dang story mode.

Piranha Plant’s spirit missing before isn’t a good point for “spirits disconfirm,” either; Nipper Plants are baby Piranha Plants, and Petey Piranha is basically some mutant adult and a decently popular character so he made sense. Plus, some other iconic Mario enemies don’t have spirits, either.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Maybe they can make Banjo's page selectable now that Hero is (basically) out.

Not much, but better than nothing.
It's not. All they added was some explanations of the new/tweaked modes and you can now click on the Yggdrasil's Altar stage in the stage list (but it will just show you a big question mark; A picture hasn't been added yet).

EDIT: Oh yeah, and you can also view the presentation from the home page.

Last edited:

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice

Those are not the characters themselves, but variations of them. If say Partner Pikachu was just called "Pikachu" or one of the WF/GaW spirits were called Wii Fit Trainer or Mr. Game and Watch, respectively, then I wouldn't be singing this song, but spirits that people want promoted, like Geno for instance, aren't a variation of Geno or Geno's fighter spirit. The spirits directly named after playable characters are A) just that, named "Pikachu" or "Wii Fit Trainer" or something of the like (and not "Pikachu (Fighter)") and B) Fighter Spirits. The spirits that people want playable aren't named "(Character) (Game)", but just "(Character)". They explicitly show that if a fighter has a spirit, it isn't the fighter directly, giving a different name to the spirit so people don't confuse them (shown most clearly with "Bayonetta (Bayonetta)").
Characters that are deconfirmed by spirit don't have that name protection that fighters have, and so unless they change the original spirits name for whatever reason, the character cannot exist as a fighter if it already is in the game as a regular spirit.
(If we going by the "Sakuri could make a spirit playable" argument, he could, I will not deny that. But under that philosophy he could go back on his "No fourth party" rule and add Goku all the same.)

On another note, is there any way to delete an archived post?

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
1 Final Fantasy
2 Sonic the Hedgehog

3 Resident Evil
4 Dragon Quest
5 Monster Hunter
6 Metal Gear
7 Tekken
8 Pac-Man
9 Street Fighter
10 Mega Man

11 Kingdom Hearts
12 Puyo Puyo
13 Castlevania
14 Tales
15 Dynasty Warriors
16 Devil May Cry
17 Professor Layton
18 Megami Tensei
19 Soulcalibur
20 Souls

I’m assuming you are using Wikipedia for these sales numbers. Just thought I should point out that Devil May Cry should be alongside Castlevania and Tales. I know it shows that the series has sold only 17million units on Wikipedia, but Capcom’s official website shows that Devil May Cry has sold 20million units.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/salesdata.html

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I’m assuming you are using Wikipedia for these sales numbers. Just thought I should point out that Devil May Cry should be alongside Castlevania and Tales. I know it shows that the series has sold only 17million units on Wikipedia, but Capcom’s official website shows that Devil May Cry has sold 20million units.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/salesdata.html
I did, it was a rush job I will admit. There's probably some franchises that have sold similarly to Souls and Soul Calibur that should also be included. But I do think it gives a decent overview of large enough Japanese franchises.

Western franchises are obviously a lot less easily quantifiable what could be in Smash because the only example we have so far was once a 2nd party character

Ornl

Smash Ace
Capcom and Namco both have multiple unrepresented franchises on that list, meaning that they still have better than average chance to be in the game, just based on the popularity of their franchises.
Popularity doesn't depend only on sales. It also depends on tendencies and cultural impact.

Maybe I over stretched saying "not the only thing", but costume theory does nothing to change how I think about those franchises or companies chances. Therefore I won't be lowering their chances. I still think they're two of the most likely companies to be in the fighters pass.
The Capcom characters have been recently evaluated. The Costume Therory has been invoked several times. Rating based on Costume Theory should be scaled down. As a result of a mathematical causal effect, all Capcom/Bamco rating should therefore be revised downward. If you don't feel concerned, accept that others are.

(Top RTC Trends
1 - Crash Bandicoot 52%
3 - Phoenix Wright 44%
3 - Lloyd Irving 44%

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If anyone follows “Spirits Disconfirm” simply because they’re a spirit and their reason has nothing to do with when they may have been made and when DLC plans may have been finished, I’d like to point y’all to the fact that you can have multiples of the same spirit, Wii Fit Trainer and Cloud use their Smash Ultimate artwork and only that artwork for their Fighter Spirits, Classic Pit and Super Sonic are canonically the same as their base characters, and they could add the game of which the artwork came from to the original spirit.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Those are not the characters themselves, but variations of them. If say Partner Pikachu was just called "Pikachu" or one of the WF/GaW spirits were called Wii Fit Trainer or Mr. Game and Watch, respectively, then I wouldn't be singing this song, but spirits that people want promoted, like Geno for instance, aren't a variation of Geno or Geno's fighter spirit. The spirits directly named after playable characters are A) just that, named "Pikachu" or "Wii Fit Trainer" or something of the like (and not "Pikachu (Fighter)") and B) Fighter Spirits. The spirits that people want playable aren't named "(Character) (Game)", but just "(Character)". They explicitly show that if a fighter has a spirit, it isn't the fighter directly, giving a different name to the spirit so people don't confuse them (shown most clearly with "Bayonetta (Bayonetta)").
Characters that are deconfirmed by spirit don't have that name protection that fighters have, and so unless they change the original spirits name for whatever reason, the character cannot exist as a fighter if it already is in the game as a regular spirit.
(If we going by the "Sakuri could make a spirit playable" argument, he could, I will not deny that. But under that philosophy he could go back on his "No fourth party" rule and add Goku all the same.)

On another note, is there any way to delete an archived post?
If it’s the name you’re concerned about, then as was said before.

542958CB-EA23-4DE7-9BAD-4ABB98ECF82C.jpeg

Here we have two Trophies with the EXACT SAME name as the Fighter DLC Trophies that later came. They didn't even bother to change the names either. Was unprecedented at the time, but clearly precedent is something that is meant to be broken in Smash.

Last edited:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Are people already making theories about which character was hinted at because there was a plant behind Sakurai in the video? :4pacman:

btw. I higly doubt that Spirits outright deconfirm characters. My opinion on this is that right now all fighter pass-characters just happened to not have any spirits in the base game. Nintendo picked the fighters. I just have a hard time believing that Sakurai would outright reject a character because they had a spirit. How do you think that would've looked like?

Nintendo: These are the characters we would like to see for the fighters pass
Sakurai: Sorry, but this one already has a Spirit. Cant use him.

Personally i could stop thinking about it. I got Banjo-Kazooie and Chrom. Everything else would just be a Bonus for me (like Elma). Besides nothing stops them from adding additional words to already existing spirits and using different artworks for the fighter spirit like renaming Shantaes base-spirit to "Shantae (1/2 Genie Hero)" and her fighter Spirit uses artwork from Pirates Curse or Shantae 5.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Popularity doesn't depend only on sales. It also depends on tendencies and cultural impact.
Sales aren't an indicator of cultural impact? And to what tendencies are you referring? If we're talking genre, survival horror is currently unrepresented in Smash, Resident Evil is the best single best selling Japanese originating third party without a playable character, almost every single mainline game in the franchise will be on the Switch before the end of 2019, and it's also spawned the longest running movie franchise based on a video game. It's dripping in both tendencies and cultural impact.

The Capcom characters have been recently evaluated. The Costume Therory has been invoked several times. Rating based on Costume Theory should be scaled down. As a result of a mathematical causal effect, all Capcom/Bamco rating should therefore be revised downward. If you don't feel concerned, accept that others are.

(Top RTC Trends
1 - Crash Bandicoot 52%
3 - Phoenix Wright 44%
3 - Lloyd Irving 44%
This sounds like an issue to be brought up in the RTC thread. But I'm not the one saying what things should or should not cause people to rerate their odds. You're talking about mathematical casual effect, but then talking about personal opinions. RTC is just a fun game for people to rank character chances. It is not scientific, beyond how that particular community feels about character chances. As someone who has rated character chances, I feel no urge to change my scores, because I don't think the lack of Square costume either proves or disproves anything to do with Capcom or Namco. I take onus with you saying that it should.

I accept that some people don't think they have as high a chance as me, I also accept that some people think the conversation has stagnated around the same 5-10 franchises in recent months. But my opinion is unchanged, and that's all I can speak for.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Hero looks absolutely mental. I know people have a knee jerk reaction to random elements in multiplayer games (see TF2 and the Crit debate) but I’m actually really excited for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom