• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I think if Monster Hunter was gonna be in he/she would had been confirmed alongside Rathalos tbh.
Yeah, I thought MH was in he moment I saw the ancestral steppe, sadly I was mistaken and a little disappointed, still I'm glad MH has already representation in Smash, for that very reason I don't think MH is getting in now.

Or maybe, just ****ing maybe, people want a character they like in Smash next to huge videogame icons.

I wanted Crash for years and I could not care any less about the freaking bear.

This thing the Smash community has done about forcing a connection between Crash and Banjo fans just to crap on the former is already getting on my nerves.
I think the main reason Banjo is in and not Crash is because a lot of people within the Smash community supported Banjo.
Thats good for Crash, he's the last prominent 90's platformer mascot that's left, and his inclusion would feel totally natural.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Can someone please explain why a lot of people think Crash Bandicoot could get in smash? I haven't seen anything more for him as a character than most other names thrown around. If the only logic is because he is on the switch I don't think that makes him anymore or less of a viable character than the likes of RE, Tales Of.., Doom, etc.
Crash has his reasons. He's an recognizable video game icon to this day and 90's mascot who rivaled Mario and Sonic. Crash who was what to Sony as Mario and Sonic are to Nintendo. His legacy was legendary rivaling them. IIRC Crash sold much more in some way then Mario or Sonic. I'm not sure who but I heard something around those lines.

He's also massively popular in Japan for an western IP.

Personally if any western character after Banjo were to get in it'd be him tbh.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So costume theory is officially dead since we didn't get any of the old SE mii costumes.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
It's kind of hilarious how little that did to affect the speculation scene.

No Geno costume or any returning costumes for that matter. We're literally where we've been since E3 but now Hero is dropping later today.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Well now it seems the Mii costume theory isn't confirmed after all. The Geno and Chocobo Mii costumes haven't returned and only the Dragon Quest Mii costumes are arriving.

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I was Legitimately surprised at the amount of music from DQ in the game, with this being the case why do we still only have 2 songs for FF its so infuriating.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I was Legitimately surprised at the amount of music from DQ in the game, with this being the case why do we still only have 2 songs for FF its so infuriating.
I think with FF’s case it’s licensing issues with Nobuo Uematsu

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The amount of spells he has access to is ridiculous, but the fact that a lot of them are randomized seems like it's going to severely hurt his playability.

I appreciate the fanservice, but it feels like it might have come at the expense of the character.

KillerCage

Smash Master
So costume theory is officially dead since we didn't get any of the old SE mii costumes.
I don't think Mii Costume Theory is dead since technically all the new Mii Costumes are from Square Enix. The real issue is that none of the Smash 4 costumes returned. The fact that all of the Mii Costumes in Pack 2 are from Dragon Quest opens up the SMALl possibility that Geno might be a DLC fighter.

Dangthatwasmyapendix

Smash Rookie
I feel a problem with some of these popular choices is that Mario's on the box of this game, you can't exactly go too violent. The obvious response is 'but Snake and Bayonetta' but with those characters they were able to strip away that and there was something left, to little johnny playing the game will just see a high tech military guy and a cool witch who fights evil monsters but with say Leon from Resident Evil, I doubt they'd allow bloody, rotting corpses to just hang out with Pikachu (I mean look at the E3 Nintendo direct, there was an ad for a Resident Evil collection and couldn't even show a Zombie) and if you take that away what's left? Just some dude in with a gun and a brown jacket.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
The amount of spells he has access to is ridiculous, but the fact that a lot of them are randomized seems like it's going to severely hurt his playability.

I appreciate the fanservice, but it feels like it might have come at the expense of the character.
I think If Hero ends up being a good character the RNG element will be a fun instant reaction to watch in tournaments. I understand that its not ideal but I'm sure their will be a work around that we'll find at some point. It might not be RNG as well it might just cycle through each list in a loop, which would be manageable.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So, a few first impressions:

- Love how some time was spent explaining stuff about each Hero and their VA. Really nice touch to me.

- Their animations look really good. I do wonder about their competitive playability. Down special is very much like Monado Arts, but randomized for prime DQ fanservice and encapsulating things other than buffs. I think he may end up being too technical to be used much in tournaments (in the sense that few people will be able to play the Heroes in an optimal way).

- That stage is gorgeous holy ****.

- Spirits are... pretty much what had already leaked, plus... Liquid Metal Slime?

- Songs are more numerous than I was expecting. Pretty nice that they were distributed evenly among the four games, too.

- No Chocobo or Geno costumes raise... some questions. They would have completed the same amount we got in the first pack too. I expected Slime Hat and maybe DQI armor, but it's nice that they went all out for the fans. Man, FF really got the short end of the stick...

- No costumes relating to other non-Square RPGs. So we're back to square one with these.

EDIT: Also... where's Homerun Contest!?

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I don't think Mii Costume Theory is dead since technically all the new Mii Costumes are from Square Enix. The real issue is that none of the Smash 4 costumes returned. The fact that all of the Mii Costumes in Pack 2 are from Dragon Quest opens up the SMALl possibility that Geno might be a DLC fighter.
Anyone who believes it helps Geno must also believe it Helps Chocobo because they are in the same boat.

Ornl

Smash Ace
The Costume Theory was favorable to Capcom/Bamco. From now on, the chances of Capcom/Bamco should be lowered.
Phoenix Wright is less important than Monster Hunter and Resident Evil. Monster Hunter is locked. The unique and different gameplay of Resident Evil is far from feasible.
Tales and Tekken can only be upgrades from Mii Costumes. They have a similar important handicap than the Spirits.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Can't wait to see people spinning the lack of Square costumes from Smash 4 as proof that Namco and Capcom are less likely now. As if Mii Costume was the only thing that was going for them.

EDIT: The timing of this was a complete accident.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
New Final Smash bar option is straight out from the old King of Fighters
There are similarities with other games too, but yeah. Smash borrows more from SNK games that people are aware about.

Can't wait to see people spinning the lack of Square costumes from Smash 4 as proof that Namco and Capcom are less likely now. As if Mii Costume was the only thing that was going for them.

EDIT: The timing of this was a complete accident.
lol :ultgreninja:

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Going to some other threads, I already see people jumping the gun and calling Hero broken.

At least wait for him to be ****ing playable, god.
Give the kids some time. Little Mac, Cloud, Inkling, Simon, K. Rool, Incineroar, and Joker were all dubbed "broken" after their reveal trailers, and look at them now haha. I really think the randomness of the spells will quiet that crowd pretty quick.

And look, I'm not saying anything one way or another, but...the lack of a Geno Mii costume is fishy...

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I was just looking through the japanese voice actors of the characters and what they've done. Sakurai Spent a good time talking about Nobuyuki Hiyama who has got a good track record but the last voice actor mentioned, Yuki Kaji is super experienced and is the lead star of many anime. To name a few;
  • Eren From Attack on Titan
  • Todoroki from My Hero Academia
  • Shuu from Guilty Crown
  • Issei form Highschool DXD
  • Meliodas from Seven Deadly Sins
  • Alibaba from Magi
This guys got more leads (in anime) than the other voice actors I feel Sakurai didn't do him justice.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The Costume Theory was favorable to Capcom/Bamco. From now on, the chances of Capcom/Bamco should be lowered.
Phoenix Wright is less important than Monster Hunter and Resident Evil. Monster Hunter is locked. The unique and different gameplay of Resident Evil is far from feasible.
Tales and Tekken can only be upgrades from Mii Costumes. They have a similar important handicap than the Spirits.
Ehhh people were predicting a Capcom and/or Namco character long before Costume Theory.

Much of the Namco belief was predicated on the notion of some level of enforced parity, which seems flawed to me (I believe characters are chosen based on themselves or their series, not their company) but it was certainly never totally contingent on the costumes.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Okay, so two things:

1: Do we have a specific time for Hero's release?

2: What is the Classic Mode called? Unlike Joker, the title is in japanese in the video. The first fight seems to reference Slimes, but knowing the title could help a bit. (Wow, I really thought it would be RPG-themed).

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Okay, so two things:

1: Do we have a specific time for Hero's release?

2: What is the Classic Mode called? Unlike Joker, the title is in japanese in the video. The first fight seems to reference Slimes, but knowing the title could help a bit. (Wow, I really thought it would be RPG-themed).
1. Anywhere from an hour from now given the release date in the JP video to several hours.

2. idk. I didn't look at that bit

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
I know a lot of people don't care about it but I feel like the DLC Spirits look a little empty TBH.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Down special is very much like Monado Arts, but randomized for prime DQ fanservice and encapsulating things other than buffs.
Even though randomized spells aren't a thing in DQ, so it's not a very good representation of the series.
I know a lot of people don't care about it but I feel like the DLC Spirits look a little empty TBH.
It's weird that only Eleven gets a group spirit for his party. Four and Eight had iconic parties too!

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well, the Mii Costume theory died, as none of the SE Mii Costumes from Smash 4 returned.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Even though randomized spells aren't a thing in DQ, so it's not a very good representation of the series.
I meant in the sense of cramming a lot of spells from DQ in the same character.

To be honest, I thought from the E3 video that all specials would be little menus on their own. Using Zoom from down special seems... a little impractical.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
-Dragon Quest is from Enix.
-Geno and Final Fantasy are from Square.
-Geno costume had hype-worthy fanfare, while Chocobo was just another costume piece.
-It seems Square-Enix only likes to allow two songs per game.
-Two SMRPG tracks uploaded by BrawlBRSTMs were taken down by Nintendo, and only two, when warning him. Beware the Forest’s Mushrooms, and Fight Against an Armed Boss (or one of the fight tracks, at least).

Hmm.

at the very least, maybe the Geno costume and Chocobo hat will come back later.

Last edited:

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
I'm actually really glad they went for the RNG down special instead of the "4 special moves for each special" thing most people i talked to seemed to think it was, because it would have made hero waaaaay too complex, imo.

Also, i might main one the mii fighters just for the jiggly slime hat.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
However, I do not think that the death of the Mii Costume theory lowers the chances of a Capcom or Namco Bandai character getting in.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Going to some other threads, I already see people jumping the gun and calling Hero broken.
Considering most of it's spells are random and take a bit longer to execute I highly doubt that will be the case. RNG does seem to be in his favor though (very few of his spells are outright bad) so he might be quite good. I guarantee you no competitive player will use Hocus Pocus on purpose. lol
It is in the sense that a lot of the spells are shown off. Though it is not a design choice I would have gone with.
I'm actually really glad they went for the RNG down special instead of the "4 special moves for each special" thing most people i talked to seemed to think it was, because it would have made hero waaaaay too complex, imo.

Also, i might main one the mii fighters just for the jiggly slime hat.
You might be right.

And yes the Slime hat is glorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom