• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well that should be it then.

Honestly Monster Hunter made me suspicious as well. I mean why would you have a ton of MH content in the game already and then save a character and other songs for that much later especially since the MH songs is in the Other section?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well that should be it then.

Honestly Monster Hunter made me suspicious as well. I mean why would you have a ton of MH content in the game already and then save a character and other songs for that much later especially since the MH songs is in the Other section?
MH songs are in other? Yeah that's pretty much the nail in the coffin, as songs from series listed in Other are unlikely to have a DLC newcomer (RIP Panel de Pon fans...)

I strangely believe music may be a deciding factor for pass fighters, as well as stages. Or in this case, the lack thereof for both

also, here's a link to a tweet confirming it was just a wishlist, from the horse's mouth no less: https://twitter.com/shameless_SMT/status/1156018395654979586

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Thing is, you can take Reggie's comment to mean "unrepresented series" in terms of fighters. Aka, no Mario, Sonic, MGS, Zelda, etc etc etc. Monster Hunter has no representative on the fighter level, so it technically is unrepresented.
I'm well aware that Reggie never said that the new fighters will be from unrepresented franchises; that's just a very extreme interpretation of what his statement meant. I just find it odd that the Hunter would be included in the Fighters' Pass while the Rathalos and two music tracks were part of the base game.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Just going to drop one thing here. All of you folks who argued my claim that Waluigi had a chance because you insisted Reggie's quote clearly meant that only characters form a new series could be in smash cannot back this leak until you admit that you're argument against Waluigi was faulty. Or you can stand your ground and deny the leak's authenticity because monster hunter is in it and only then maintain your argument against Waluigi or any other first party character from a series already in smash. Those are your choices, not going to call anyone out but you know who you are.

Thanks and good night.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Honestly I'm skeptical of any leak that mentions Monster Hunter specifically. I've seen a shocking amount of people consider Monster Hunter a lock because of Rathalos when it's more of a nail in the coffin than anything. If they really wanted the character in Smash they would've gotten them with Rathalos, and I certainly don't see Sakurai going back to re-negotiate Monster Hunter with Capcom so shortly after getting Rathalos. Personally a boss is all Monster Hunter really needed, since the monsters are the most recognizable part of the series rather than the hunters themselves.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Whether the "leak" is real or not I'm still on the train that Doom Slayer might be one of our characters tbh.
Its crazy to me that if its a wishlist, this person might literally get 3 of the 4 or all characters right out of pure speculation, not to mention getting all of the Hero costumes correct. I wish i was that lucky.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Just going to drop one thing here. All of you folks who argued my claim that Waluigi had a chance because you insisted Reggie's quote clearly meant that only characters form a new series could be in smash cannot back this leak until you admit that you're argument against Waluigi was faulty. .
I do understand what you mean, but Waluigi is far out of the DLC lineup for a multitude of reasons, even stemming beyond a short-lived leak. He's an assist, a spirit, certainly at least somewhat disliked by Sakuri, etc. I don't mean to drown your hopes but there's no chance man

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Honestly I'm skeptical of any leak that mentions Monster Hunter specifically. I've seen a shocking amount of people consider Monster Hunter a lock because of Rathalos when it's more of a nail in the coffin than anything. If they really wanted the character in Smash they would've gotten them with Rathalos, and I certainly don't see Sakurai going back to re-negotiate Monster Hunter with Capcom so shortly after getting Rathalos. Personally a boss is all Monster Hunter really needed, since the monsters are the most recognizable part of the series rather than the hunters themselves.
Monster Hunter and Doom Guy are both on my "suspicious as all ****" shortlist when it comes to leaks. It's why I never put stock in this rumor to begin with.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I do understand what you mean, but Waluigi is far out of the DLC lineup for a multitude of reasons, even stemming beyond a short-lived leak. He's an assist, a spirit, certainly at least somewhat disliked by Sakuri, etc. I don't mean to drown your hopes but there's no chance man
But ten! Possilibitliy of assist upgrades! Sakurai breaking fan rules all the time!

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
do you think there's going to be a small tease(like a riddle or something) of Character pack 4 tomorrow at the end of hero's content approaching video (I know it's too early but it's a very small possibility).

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
This is pretty much my narrowed down list of series that is possible IMO:

Tales(Lloyd, Yuri, Velvet)
Resident Evil(Leon, Jill)
Crash Bandicoot
Tekken(Heihachi, Jin, Kazuya)
Ninja Gaiden/DoA(Ryu, Kasumi)

All of these listed have:
- At least some popularity worldwide which the DLC revealed so far has. While you may argue about Dragon Quest, some games have sold pretty well outside of Japan, mainly VIII, IX, and XI. Eight was added as one of the alts because of DQ8's popularity in the west.
- No Spirits
-Not from a company already represented in the Pass.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is pretty much my narrowed down list of series that is possible IMO:

Tales(Lloyd, Yuri, Velvet)
Resident Evil(Leon, Jill)
Crash Bandicoot
Tekken(Heihachi, Jin, Kazuya)
Ninja Gaiden/DoA(Ryu, Kasumi)

All of these listed have:
- At least some popularity worldwide which the DLC revealed so far has. While you may argue about Dragon Quest, some games have sold pretty well outside of Japan, mainly VIII, IX, and XI. Eight was added as one of the alts because of DQ8's popularity in the west.
- No Spirits
-Not from a company already represented in the Pass.
No Phoenix Wright or Dante? Neither Chosen Undead or any other Souls character?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Actually, I don't think Banjo & Kazooie change colors at all or have any characters within their series that they can take color palettes from (other than the polar bear I guess). What colors do you think they will get?
Banjo-Tooie's multiplayer has different colors depending on which player is controlling them...though there's only 4 including their default color palette...

-and of course they could take other characters' color schemes like they did for Mumbo, as others have mentioned.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Can someone please explain why a lot of people think Crash Bandicoot could get in smash? I haven't seen anything more for him as a character than most other names thrown around. If the only logic is because he is on the switch I don't think that makes him anymore or less of a viable character than the likes of RE, Tales Of.., Doom, etc.

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Can someone please explain why a lot of people think Crash Bandicoot could get in smash? I haven't seen anything more for him as a character than most other names thrown around. If the only logic is because he is on the switch I don't think that makes him anymore or less of a viable character than the likes of RE, Tales Of.., Doom, etc.
Because people want their last 90's platformer mascot in Smash, now that Banjo is in, Crash is taking his place.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
He's a character with a fairly large amount of worldwide popularity and recognition. He isn't any more or less of a viable candidate than those examples, but those examples are generally seen as among the most likely.

Because people want their last 90's platformer mascot in Smash, now that Banjo is in, Crash is taking his place.
Crash has been fairly requested since before Banjo was included. Probably since around the Trilogy. Definitely since it came to Switch. The field has just cleared a bit since then.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There's no reason for him not to be thrown around. Iconic, demanded, popular worldwide, Nintendo presence + former rival factor, beats all competition within his company, relevant...

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
What does everyone think of Doomguy in SSBU? I really want to see him in, considering we don't have an FPS rep.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
What does everyone think of Doomguy in SSBU? I really want to see him in, considering we don't have an FPS rep.
Personally I would prefer Jill or Leon from RE but Doomguy would be pretty cool. He just got all his games ported to the switch which is a good sign however a lot of companies are doing this to the switch. In conclusion, Dunno.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Personally I think the Doom Slayer would be a great addition.

Smash has no FPS rep, and while Wolfenstein 3D may have created the genre it was Doom that popularize it.

Doomslayer has a lot of guns that would make for some interesting moves and Joker's B shows that Nintendo doesn't mind realistic guns being apart of a moveset.

With the recent port of Doom 3, we can now say that every Doom game has been on a Nintendo console.

Since it is Doom after all, that means we will have some fantastic stage music.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
That'd be something, but the BFG being relegated to the neutral special seems a bit of a waste, ngl.
Well if the BFG was a charge attack neutral special would make sense, give it a long charge time with Ridley down special damage.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well if the BFG was a charge attack neutral special would make sense, give it a long charge time with Ridley down special damage.
It could work buuuut it's like making Omnislash or Volt Tackle or Killer Wail or something a special move.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
We could have the classic Doomguy, Doom 3 Doomguy, Doom (2016) Doom Slayer, and Doom Eternal Doom Slayer as the extra skins, and then different colored suits for team matches.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't play Doom (or FPS games in general really) but I can't deny the series has an impressive legacy and I would be very curious how they implement it into Smash. I'd be happy for the fans of the series and would be curious if the floodgates for western characters truly open after him.

My one request is they use the classic design. It's pure cheesy 90s goodness and super iconic. Nu Doom Slayer looks like a generic space marine.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Classic Doom fan here, it would depend on how he's represented. I think it would be hard to make him fit in, and I can't imagine him being very fun to play, but I'm open to it.

Don't think it's happening though.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I'm not much of a Doom or FPS fan in general (nothing against the genre, just don't play them a lot), but I'd be open to the idea. I'd prefer Master Chief as Mr. FPS if we didn't get Banjo, but Doom was one of the pioneers of the genre and is important enough to gaming history to earn a spot in Smash. Kinda sick of people shoving him in fake leaks though, since he's become one of the most predictable leakbait characters besides Erdrick

D

Deleted member

Or maybe, just ****ing maybe, people want a character they like in Smash next to huge videogame icons.

I wanted Crash for years and I could not care any less about the freaking bear.

This thing the Smash community has done about forcing a connection between Crash and Banjo fans just to crap on the former is already getting on my nerves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom